Old 06-15-2019, 04:43 PM

Do you wear a wrist watch?

I found an old analog Timex watch in a drawer that I stopped wearing a few years ago when the battery died. Even then, wearing a wrist watch had become an anachronism, but I liked this watch. It was reliable (I rarely replaced the battery), accurate, and it sported Roman numerals. (Try to find a watch with those nowadays.) So I went to the battery store for a new one, cleaned it up a bit and put it on. I like it. As Timex used to tell us, they "take a licking and keep on ticking."

For a long time I just looked at my phone if I wanted to know the time, but to do that you have to take it out of your pocket, turn it on, and then put it back in your pocket. Three steps. With my trusty Timex, I just glance at my wrist. What could be easier?

So I'm curious. Do you still wear a wrist watch? And if you do, about what age are you? Does anyone under, say, 50, wear a wrist watch?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

59, various flavors of Timex Ironman watches. Much quicker to look at my wrist than pull out and unlock phone.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes I still wear a watch. It's self winding so it never needs a new battery. And, as you said, it's much easier to just glance at your wrist then pull your phone out. Of course you youngsters have your noses buried in your phones so you don't need to pull them out either.

I'm 70. the watch was a 21st birthday present.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I only wear an analog wristwatch in movie theaters and on-board airline flights. Both are places where I can't pull out my phone to check the time.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Age 57. I wear one. Late model analog w/mechanical movement.

It's handy. I don't carry my cell phone on my person very often, and when I do it's too much of a PIA to fetch it from my pocket, hit the button ( to light the screen ) to see the time, push the button again ( to deactivate the screen ) and it back in my pocket, as opposed to just glancing at my wrist. Also, I'd sooner wear a knapsack than carry a phone on a belt/waist holder.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Yes. Over 50. I wear a Rolex GMT Master II, a Rolex non-date Submariner, or a 1974 blue-dial Seiko Bell-Matic.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

52 and I don't have a cell phone. Casio DataBank. (I like the calculator.)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

67, and I wear one. It's a Casio, solar powered so I never have to wind it or replace the battery, and it syncs with a radio signal every night so I never need to set it. It also has a feature which lets you switch time zones without changing the main time.
Much faster than pulling out my phone.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm 52 and my collection is up to 24 watches - nothing fancy but I really like each one of them.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Nope. Between my bedroom, bathroom, living room, garage, car, classroom, office, etc. I don't feel the need for one. But if i ever hit it semi-big, I might start wearing a Patik Phillipe someday.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 PM

I’m 44 and have three watches. A Tissot Touch, a Samsung Galaxy Watch and a Garmin Fenix 5. The Garmin and Samsung are both smart watches. I wear the Garmin pretty much all the time. I use it for timers, alarms, step tracking, and just telling the time.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM

I'm 44. Don't wear one. I had the same wrist watch from 15 until I was 35 or so. First I stopped wearing it in summer, and then it stopped working and couldn't be repaired so I stopped wearing one all together.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Yup. Timex Expedition with the date and Indiglo backlight. And it's analog, just because.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Late fifties, have not worn a watch for at least ten years. Cannot remember the last time I missed having one.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Yes, and I struggle to figure out which watch to wear on any given day.

Today I went with my Rolex YM2 in yellow gold. Fantastic watch that I wear a lot.

I'm awaiting a new watch I just picked up at auction last week. It's a Franck Muller Long Island Duel Retrograde Seconds.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:51 PM

I'm 54, and wear an analog watch. For some reason the others stop working in less than a year when I wear them, whether they cost $5 or $50.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 PM

I don't wear one anymore. I did until a couple of years ago, because I don't like the check my cell phone to check the time when teaching. But now all my classrooms have clocks.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:15 PM

I'm 61 and I'd feel naked without a watch. I have a collection of Timex and Casio models, some analog, some digital, some both. The one I wear the most is a a solar powered Casio so no worries about batteries.

Like everyone else has said, it takes too long to fish out the cell phone just to check the time. But also the date. Who can remember what date it is every day? Trusty Timex to the rescue. At least I can usually remember the day of the week that we're on without help.

My favorite watch band is the Spiedel Twist-o-flex that I got in the seventies and is still going strong. It has held at least a dozen different watches to my wrist over the years.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 PM

I wear a smart watch. I can install all kinds of cool looking watch faces on it, both digital and analog. It has Bluetooth so I can dial my contacts on my phone without taking the phone out of my pocket. The only drawback is the battery has to be charged every day. I'm 62.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
I don't wear one anymore.
I'm finding I'm wearing mine less. I've learned to carry my phone most of the time. But the real reason is that I've lost 70 pounds, and they don't fit. I'll need to remove links.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

No watches for me, early 40s. My sense of time is pretty good and I'm usually fairly accurate with knowing the approximate time of day, say within 15 minutes. Why are people looking at their watches in theaters or on airline flights, anyway?

In general, I basically don't care to wear accessories: hats, glasses (sun or otherwise), jewelry, headphones/buds.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 PM

I would if I could. My employer will not allow me to wear one on the production floor - too much moving machinery around. If I can't wear it 24/7 then it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Much quicker to look at my wrist than pull out and unlock phone.
This. I'm 61
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Plus I don't like pulling out a phone in a meeting or at dinner - a quick glance at the wrist is much more discreet
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM

Like Jnglmassiv, "My sense of time is pretty good and I'm usually fairly accurate with knowing the approximate time of day, say within 15 minutes." This is close enough for most of my life.

I do not wear a watch, but my tool box at work does. It is the only place that I need to know the time that accurately. The tool box's watch was a gift from a friend's tool box. It was gifted to me when the friend quit, I gifted it to my tool box.

If I wear a watch, it usually fails completely fairly soon. One died within four hours of purchase. Yes, I got a replacement & then a refund, but it was a pain.

This system works well for me.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM

43, wear a watch to work and sometimes other places. Need it at workó I canít remove my phone from my pocket when students are present and not all classrooms have clocks. (Work in a correctional school.)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I work out my wrist a lot. I'm surprised I can wear a watch!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:54 PM

My Seiko Orange Monster needs a new band, the rubber one did not age well but the watch itself is fine

Currently I wear an Apple Watch Series 4, mainly for the health monitoring apps as Iím trying to get back into shape
Old 06-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

50. I hadn't worn a watch in maybe 20 years. My wife noticed that I would just absent-mindedly look at my watch while talking to people, giving the impression that I was in a hurry or impatient. So I ditched it.

A couple of years ago, finding that keeping weight off is no longer the automatic function of a reasonably active life, I started wearing a Fitbit as a tracker/nag device. Upgraded to an Apple Watch for the deeper feature set (maps while hiking, speed and turn directions while biking) and the fact that it means I can leave my phone behind when I exercise but still have my music and can make calls.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

41. I have worn a watch since I was 7 or 8. Can't think of a day that I haven't had it on.

Casio G-Shock with a solar charging face.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:15 PM

I teach and need to look at how much time is left in class. The clocks in the various classrooms are all over the place for location and accuracy.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 PM

Yup. I'm not tethered to my phone, and I also wouldn't want to be pulling it out in the classroom or my practice to check the time.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM

I'm OK either way, but generally I wear my analog, light-powered Citizen Eco-Drive, which is several years old now. Comes the apocalypse, I'll still know what time it is. It is a chronograph, but the stopwatch is stupidly designed so I don't use it much; among the three sub-dials is one that has a 24-hour hand, although it is off by 12 hours. Also it's kind of heavy, due (I assume) to the stuff inside that turns light into energy. For special occasions I have a Movado that I also like (but it needs a new battery).

I just looked at the currently available lineup of Eco-Drive watches, and none of them looks like mine. I'm sure mine, a gift, was not a high-end model when it was new. I see some of those are over $700, and mine looks pretty basic compared to those.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've got a cheapie, no-name watch that I bought at WalMart for $12 some years back. It's analog, with reasonably large numbers and good contrast so I don't have to stare at it to figure our the time. I really like the band, too - large metal links and not too tight, not too loose. I think I've replaced the battery 4 times. The crystal is scratched, but I've not been able to find a similar watch, so until this one dies, it's my go-to.

A few years ago, my husband bought me a pretty, rather pricey watch, but with its oblong face, dits instead of numbers, and very little contrast between the background, the dits, and the hands, I'd have to keep shifting my wrist to catch the light just right, and even then, it was sometimes hard to tell the time. I returned it after 2 days. At my age, practical means more than pretty.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

I have worn one since I was a kid. I have never bought myself an expensive watch but I now wear the old Omega De Ville that my father left me. I often leave my phone behind when I go out but I would never go out without my watch.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:02 AM

57 and I feel lost without one despite having my phone on me.

Mine is a cheapie Timex Indiglo (push button backlight). I have to have the Indiglo so that when I wake up in the wee hours I can check the time and decide whether to roll over and try to go back to sleep, or just get up and get some stuff done. A bedside clock doesn't work in my world because I am so effing nearsighted that I can't see it from where I'm lying. I can hold my watch 4 inches from my nose and check the time without making a big production of it.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM

I wear my watch whenever I leave the house. It's useful, and it looks good on me.

A Casio Ediface my wife bought me for my birthday.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 AM

I have not worn one in 2-3 years, but, coincidentally, I thought I might start wearing it again the day before I saw this thread.

I've worn an Ironman for the past 20 years or so. When the band broke I decided I could probably do without it. I generally hate having any sort of accessory attached to my body, but I do miss the just-glance-at-your-wrist capability of wearing a watch.

mmm
Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 AM

41, male. Used to wear one pre-cell phone.

Recently, like this month, I decided to start wearing a watch again. I like things that are made of wood so I Googled "wood watch" and of course the first hundred or so hits were all for very nice $400 wood watches. Then I went on amazon and bought this one for 30 bucks.

Last edited by DCnDC; 06-16-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

39. I wear a watch all the time. Most days it is a Samsung Galaxy. If I'm going to be in the field or getting wet, I wear a G-Shock instead.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 AM

Just flat out never liked wearing a wristwatch. So I've been a "pocket watch" person.

Started with real pocket watches but they never seemed to last. So I would just buy a cheapo ~$12 Timex wristwatch and keep it in my pocket. For some reason these would last remarkably long. The current one has to be over 20 years old. The amortized cost, taking into account buying battery multi-packs, is remarkably low.

I am slowly starting to use the cell phone for time but since it's not often on me, it's not going to be a major habit.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:10 AM

I've worn a watch virtually all my life. I like being prompt and I like knowing what time it is. I prefer an analog display because the size of the "pie wedge" gives me a visual of how much time I have or have left. A digital readout doesn't do that. In fact, sometimes in my head I have to convert the digital version of the time to a pie wedge version. (Between 10:00 and 10:05 is a sliver of pie, but between 10:00 and 10:20--that's a good-sized piece of pie).

However, a few years ago, I got to where I could no longer easily read the teeny date window on my watch. So I switched to a FitBit Charge 2, because one of the faces you can choose shows the time, the date, and the day of the week like the teeny window on my old watch. The time is in digital format, but oh well.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:00 AM

I'm left handed and when I was a kid, my mother struggled with my seeming inability to understand right from left. One day she put a watch on my left arm and said THAT IS YOUR LEFT!
Habit now
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 AM

I'm 61. Can anyone match this claim? I've had the same watch on my left wrist for 23 years now. It's been there 24/7/365, I never remove it. It is there when I'm in the shower, in bed, hell it wasn't removed when I've had surgery. Original band. It is a Rolex.

Anyone?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I'm 61. Can anyone match this claim? I've had the same watch on my left wrist for 23 years now. It's been there 24/7/365, I never remove it. It is there when I'm in the shower, in bed, hell it wasn't removed when I've had surgery. Original band. It is a Rolex.

Anyone?
How the hell did you manage that pull that off?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Late 50s here. Yes, I wear a Timex Expedition. I've worn some kind of wrist watch since I was about 13, and just don't feel right if I'm not wearing one when I go out.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM

I stopped wearing one regularly about 3-4 years ago after a comment from someone at work. I don't really miss it and just rely on my smart phone (I configured it to show an analog watch when in locked-mode). My trusty Timex is still around but has not been worn in a long time. I do wear a cheap Casio sports watch for running as it is more convenient during that activity compared to the phone. I also got rid of my clock-radio at my bedside around the same time, and just prop-up my phone where I can see the clock. I am just over 50 yo.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
How the hell did you manage that pull that off?
SPOILER:
It's a tattoo
Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Iím 52 and I havenít worn a watch regularly in years. Before I retired from the National Guard I would wear one during training because it would often be where there was lousy service or during activities it wouldnít be prudent to have my phone during.

I currently own three watches. I own them for their looks and wear them more as jewelry than a time piece for special occasions.

I donít know specifically when I stopped wearing a watch day to day. It just sort of happened. I donít miss it.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
SPOILER:
It's a tattoo
How often is the time correct?

mmm