Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
WTF? They didnt know you needed gluten free? I am t1 diabetic, that would be like them not administering my insulin. I wouldn't last a week. Holy-moley!
Thanks, but I would not compare the seriousness of my issue with yours. NUTRITION & DIETARY looked like idiots when they couldn't tell what gluten is. Everyone has smartphones, and Google will buy you. A clue in seconds.

Doggo is getting a few visits a day from stepsister and sister at my house now thanks to sister's new attitude. We got her at the pound, she looked a mess, like a mixed breed hairless. We got some food into her, and a few months later, she turned into anAmerican Eskimo dog, about 20 lbs. Google it, she looks like every stock picture. Cute.

We think she was used in a puppy mill, she's badly socialized--timid and aggressive out of fear. She has trouble with children and other pets. Mom's had dementia and I've had 8operations in the past 4 years, so I haven had the time or strength to work with her like I should. Have long hoped that, when the day came that I couldn't care for Mom safely anymore and she went to a home, and/or I got a little better, Fuzz and I would have more time together and I'd be able to work with her more, rather than just keep her safe. Just always saw she and I taking this next step together.

Doctor wants me to do PT on broken vertebrae. Hope that works out better than it sounds like it will, because I will do the work.

Still disturbed and weirded out by this arrangement I'm entering into wrt the rehab center... But I have no choice, I can't go home yet.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 PM

IDK I think if you are bleeding and cramping with broken vertebrae it's fairly serious. You are obviously trying to get your colon under control if you are seeking surgery for it. My diabetes is under control, but I could see it going south if my dietary and insulin needs aren't met. You are in a crisis IMO. I hope it gets better soon. Keep on telling them what you need, someone is sure to hear. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-22-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
IDK I think if you are bleeding and cramping with broken vertebrae it's fairly serious. You are obviously trying to get your colon under control if you are seeking surgery for it. My diabetes is under control, but I could see it going south if my dietary and insulin needs aren't met. You are in a crisis IMO. I hope it gets better soon. Keep on telling them what you need, someone is sure to hear. Keep us posted.
Yeah, the colon, and the prednisone are causing collateral damage--swollen, weeping legs, blood clots, broken vertebrae, cellulitis, and in the past, pulmonary embolism. Am very anxious to get my colectomy, to get rid of the diseased tissue. Gonna try to get them to talk about this and how well address it asap. If I have to stay in rehab longer than I need to fix my vertebrae and cellulitis wound, vthen maybe we can get some traction on the colectomy. Here's hoping anyway.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Again, can't reply to everyone. ... [snip]....
You need to get a lawyer, someone to both advocate for you and possibly to sue for malpractice and/or go after the insurance company because it doesn't sound like you are being properly cared for.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
You need to get a lawyer, someone to both advocate for you and possibly to sue for malpractice and/or go after the insurance company because it doesn't sound like you are being properly cared for.
OK. Turns out that woman that woke me up from a sound sleep early in my rehab stay, and was talking about some strange thing where they'd take my monthly SSI check, I had to stay for a lengthy and non-health-related amount of time, and couldn't sign myself out with less than a months notice without a penalty of losing my insurance and my SSI, was actually telling me about my only insurance option to stay. It took half a day of thinking on it to remember that it even happened. Essentially I wouldn't be in rehab, I'd be in a nursing home. That didn't sound any better asleep than it does now, but I was less able to grasp the significance of the conversation.

Considering that insurance was the only thing she and I discussed for the next ten days or so, she kinda soft-pedaled it. For example, as we closed on the day where I had to go home, you'd think she might say something like, "Remember that option you didn't like when you were snoring? Well, it's looking like your only option, maybe we should revisit that."

Dunno where that leaves me legally.

I'm still in the hospital. The fentanyl patch they gave me seems to have let me use my legs better, despite my deep misgivings. It's the weekend so I don't have PT, but my exercises are so much easier that I wonder if I can't stand on my oen now. If so, I'll be in the damned nursing home for a month or more while I could be at home. Maybe I could swing a cheap used laptop if my SSI backpay comes through, so I can kill time better and play some old valve games with my friends occasionally.

Gonna consult with a back guy on Monday to see if I need some "cement" injected to reinforce my broken vertebrae. After that, either they'll inject me and I'll recover a couple days, or they won't and it's off to nursing home jail. Depending on what shakes out with my would-be colectomy, I might be there, or in the hospital, on-and-off for the next three months.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:05 AM

Don't sign anything til you speak to an attorney. At least the hospitals legal service or a legit social worker.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:43 AM
Charter Member

Yes. You need a lawyer NOW. Make sure it's one with your interests in mind and not anyone else's.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 PM

https://www.tn.gov/tenncare/long-ter...s/choices.html

I don't think there is anything questionable going on, just weird and shitty insurance. I wonder if someone who owned a lot of nursing homes didn't make a nice contribution to someones campaign.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 06-24-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM

You're on TennCare? I've never heard anything good about them.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
You're on TennCare? I've never heard anything good about them.

I'm not going to break your streak now.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The OP says he needs a laptop if he goes to the nursing home. It is quite possible that a Doper has an extra one laying around (who upgraded but still keeps the old one around because it still works OK) who would be happy to donate it to the OP--but is probably not reading this thread. Perhaps someone can contact the mods about starting a request thread for this.

Likewise if he goes to a nursing home for a few months and the nursing home takes the vast bulk of his SSI check, he probably still will have significant expenses for his home even though he is not living in it--utilities, rent, whatever. Straight Dope does have occasional donation threads for long time members--and while this does not raise a lot of money--$1,000 or so--it might help at some point.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Do the AARP offer a service where they can offer advice about nursing home care, rehab facilities and so on? Because I know from hearing my parents go through this whole thing, it's really complicated.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Do the AARP offer a service where they can offer advice about nursing home care, rehab facilities and so on? Because I know from hearing my parents go through this whole thing, it's really complicated.
I haven't investigated aarp. Do I qualify at age 52? I'll have to Google it

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 06-25-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post

The OP says he needs a laptop if he goes to the nursing home. It is quite possible that a Doper has an extra one laying around (who upgraded but still keeps the old one around because it still works OK) who would be happy to donate it to the OP--but is probably not reading this thread. Perhaps someone can contact the mods about starting a request thread for this.

Likewise if he goes to a nursing home for a few months and the nursing home takes the vast bulk of his SSI check, he probably still will have significant expenses for his home even though he is not living in it--utilities, rent, whatever. Straight Dope does have occasional donation threads for long time members--and while this does not raise a lot of money--$1,000 or so--it might help at some point.
While I appreciate the help and concern here more than you'll know, I'm glad to have a solid reason to pass on the donations - it would ruin my SSI and TennCare. It's a needs based thing, and if I get too much other money, VI have to report it, they subtract it from what I get, maybe take away benefits entirely etc. Thank you, but probably not a good idea, and I didn't even have to get into my own feelings on accepting donations, which is simply that I'd rather not if I'm not outdoors and/or hungry.

At the begin NG of the month, I might be able to entertain the idea of a laptop. A decent deal on something that surfs well, and it would be wonderful if it played old games like Left for Dead, Portal 2, etc. Maybe I can play a little here and there with my friends across the country. If anyone has. A lead on a used laptop at a good price, that would be helpful.

Thanks again. I know my replies are short, but hopefully not terse. I really never did get the hang of these portable gadgets I need a real-ish keyboard.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I haven't investigated aarp. Do I qualify at age 52? I'll have to Google it
AARP is mostly a lobbying group that people join to get travel discounts.

However, anyone 50 and over can join; IIRC it's something like $15 a year, and you also get a free tote bag.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:

However, anyone 50 and over can join; IIRC it's something like $15 a year, and you also get a free tote bag.
The tote bag sucks but the magazine and the newsletter thingy are pretty cool.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My brother is such a cheapskate that he joined AARP, AAA and the NRA, just for the discounts.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Face Intentionally Left Blank:

An update on how you are doing?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:11 AM

Blood clots in both legs have them swollen up. They switched me to Eliquis from Xeralto. My back surgery, which will repair my broken vertebrae and allow me to walk again, has been delayed until the blood clots dissolve sufficiently. I have no timetable on that, no ballpark. Five or six weeks later, the wound on top of my foot is about the same size, but the doctor is pleased with how it looks. Last week, I was in "SKILLED CARE" and somy insurance would not pay for a skin graft. In the next week or so, my insurance should be changing me over. TO LONG-TERM care, so I should be able to get the graft. With the change to long term care, I'll be giving up my SSI monthly check, so I'll be paying for my apt out of the little bit of money I was able to save. Hopefully that won't be long, or I'll lose the apartment, and I don't know where I'll go.

Just lying in a nursing home bed, watching the weeks go by as my life disappears and I'm powerless to do a damned thing. I don't even have physical therapy now because of the clots.

Thanks for asking, Past Tense. Trying not to get too down about it. It's hard, though.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 07-14-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Ohmigod. How did I not see this thread before? I can identify with this. The difference for me was that my insurance ran out at a time when I was more or less ready to go home, and I was able to move in with my brother.

I've been slowly and steadily improving since then.

I can identify with your bowel problems. I was on TPN (total parenteral nutrition, a high tech version of IV feeding) for months, thus avoiding use of my bowel and giving it a chance to heal. Have they suggested some form of IV feeding for you?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
While I appreciate the help and concern here more than you'll know, I'm glad to have a solid reason to pass on the donations - it would ruin my SSI and TennCare. It's a needs based thing, and if I get too much other money, VI have to report it, they subtract it from what I get, maybe take away benefits entirely etc. Thank you, but probably not a good idea, and I didn't even have to get into my own feelings on accepting donations, which is simply that I'd rather not if I'm not outdoors and/or hungry.
Two things:

Pride is all very well, but if it leads to you being "outdoors and/or hungry" tell it to get off the bus. Personally, I'd rather prevent people losing everything than pick up the pieces after homelessness happens. Keep that in mind.

Second - it may be different in Tennessee, but when I was on public aid in Indiana while receiving money directly could screw up my benefits receiving help didn't necessarily do that. So, for example, giving me money directly to pay the rent could screw me up, but someone else paying my rent for a month wouldn't, so long as the money passed from the good Samaritan to the landlord and I never touched it. Rather like giving you money directly for a laptop could be a problem, but giving you an actual laptop as a gift won't.

Food for thought.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Are you just using your phone for internet access? If so I think there is a good chance there is a Doper who has an older model laptop lying around who would be glad to donate it.

Perhaps donations could be sent to your sister or a friend.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:22 AM

Could any trusted Doper organise buying a laptop if no-one's got one lying around?

I'd happy chip in something and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't know how SSI rules work- wrong country- but I can't imagine gifts of 'stuff' screwing up benefits.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Two things:

Pride is all very well, but if it leads to you being "outdoors and/or hungry" tell it to get off the bus. Personally, I'd rather prevent people losing everything than pick up the pieces after homelessness happens. Keep that in mind.

Second - it may be different in Tennessee, but when I was on public aid in Indiana while receiving money directly could screw up my benefits receiving help didn't necessarily do that. So, for example, giving me money directly to pay the rent could screw me up, but someone else paying my rent for a month wouldn't, so long as the money passed from the good Samaritan to the landlord and I never touched it. Rather like giving you money directly for a laptop could be a problem, but giving you an actual laptop as a gift won't.

Food for thought.
Thanks. Isuppose things could be funneled differently to appease the rules. If this drags on to where things look dicey on the housing front, I;ll keep that in mind and hope it doesn't become necessary.

Quote:
Are you just using your phone for internet access? If so I think there is a good chance there is a Doper who has an older model laptop lying around who would be glad to donate it.
I've got a decent Lenovo Android tablet I've been using. Had some problems with it being slow and problematic for surfing, butI got some help with it and it seems to be a lot more responsive now. Geez, with my eyesight I'd hate to use my phone with that 4" screen on a heavy basis. I don't know how ppl do that.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 07-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Ohmigod. How did I not see this thread before? I can identify with this. The difference for me was that my insurance ran out at a time when I was more or less ready to go home, and I was able to move in with my brother.

I've been slowly and steadily improving since then.

I can identify with your bowel problems. I was on TPN (total parenteral nutrition, a high tech version of IV feeding) for months, thus avoiding use of my bowel and giving it a chance to heal. Have they suggested some form of IV feeding for you?
I've heard of them doing the TPN more frequently recently. A couple decades back, you almost had to be in a coma to get that because of infection and other problems - they must have made some strides in that area. Glad to hear it helped and your innerds are doing better.

I've had Crohn's colitis for going on 18 years, and for 13 of those years I had no insurance. Mostly took prednisone, as I could go to clinics and get a cheap script. That's why my back is messed up now - from the prednisone. My colon's shot already, and my surgeon recommended a colectomy in January. Ever since then, I've just been trying to get to that surgery. Actually, he recommended a colectomy and proctectomy, but given my health since then, I don't think I'll get the proctectomy. I REALLY wanted it asap,as I was afraid if I didn't get it quickly, I wouldn't handle that surgery well. Looks like that's come to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Could any trusted Doper organise buying a laptop if no-one's got one lying around?

I'd happy chip in something and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't know how SSI rules work- wrong country- but I can't imagine gifts of 'stuff' screwing up benefits.
I'm doing OK with the tablet, fortunately. Glad I picked one up when I could a little while back - it's been so very useful. Upthread, I thought about picking up a used laptop for convenience and to have something to do with friends while I'm sitting here,but I can do almost everything I need with this.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Have you made arrangements for your dog?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Have you made arrangements for your dog?
The Humane society, I'm afraid. There was nothing else I could do from here. My nephew - whom I hardly ever see, honestly - even made an effort. Came over and tried to get her to come with him, but she shrank away like she'd been beaten. She had a bad start to life, and I'm afraid I wasn't able to do much but keep her safe and take her out to go to the bathroom, etc. Between my health, and worse, dealing with my mother, I just didn't have the time/strength/ability to work with/rehab her properly. I'd held out hope for when I got better and/or Mom had to go into assisted care, but we never had that time to ourselves.

She's a beautiful dog - American Eskimo. The staff told my sister that ppl were interested in her before she even finished dropping her off. Hopefully her good looks will buy her a chance with someone who can spend more time with her and deal with her fear. She can get bitey with strangers if pushed - not in an aggressive way, but in a defensive manner when not left alone. We'd got past that very quickly, so hopefully others will do the same.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I share your concern. It's been nearly a month. Has he posted anywhere else on the SDMB more recently?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 PM

He posted a few days ago.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9&postcount=18
Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
That's good to know.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 PM

He just posted today:
Quote:
Been stuck in bed for three months, and my poor tablet has been running nearly 24/7 all that time. Playing music, rain/train videos on YouTube to help me sleep, surfing like a fiend, watching movies on friend's Plex servers, etc. Might watch some Netflix soon...anything to carry my mind away from this room.

So you see this thing has been working overtime, and according to the doctors I've got a few more months before I rejoin society at large...
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=860699

Last edited by PastTense; 08-19-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Sorry, didn't see that this thread was still active.

Well, I lost about 25 lbs in one week,and the swelling went down in my legs, so I figure the blood clots are clearing up. Neither the facility doctor nor the nurse practitioner have been in to assess the dvts. I talked to the NP about 3-4 weeks back. She opined that I should get used to living with the broken vertebrae, LIKE THE OTHER RESIDENTS HERE AT THE NURSING HOME.

I.AM.NOT.A.RESIDENT. I am a PATIENT, one who was supposed to be operated on before I got blood clots on your watch. When I am healthy enough, I will be consulting with a back surgeon again to repair what he can and stop the bone from pressing on my leg nerves that prevents me from standing. These ppl do not seem to care about me getting better and getting out of here.

I have an alarm set on my tablet, beeps every ten minutes to remind me to move my legs. MUST avoid more blood clots. Vital. I think if I cannot stay healthy enough to get my surgeries, it could lead to a very short life in a nursing home, instead of going home as an independent person.

Tuesday will mark 12weeks in a hospital bed. Can't walk, back spasming, colon flaring and cramping, powerless to do anything. Trying not to go insane. Not sure if succeeding. REALLY not sure.

Some good news. I had an appointment last week with a surgeon. I'll be having a colectomy at the beginning of October. About five weeks away., so I have to stay sane until the surgery. I'll have about a week or two after that where I'll be drugged up, then in pain, then dealing with recovering from the surgery and learning about my stoma, then I'll be recovered enough to start going insane again. When I'm sufficiently healed from the colectomy, it's on to back surgery for my broken vertebrae.

Don't have a surgeon lined up for that yet. Don't want to have it done locally, gonna try to have it done at Vanderbilt, like my colectomy.

So, I guess that pretty much brings things up to date. Oh, Mom! My sister got her set up at a pretty nice assisted living facility, where she failed to get along. She was loud, swore too much, hit people and made one faculty member quit. She's now undergoing psychiatric observation. Now that I'm not around, and she is in different surroundings, her dementia is taking a front seat.

Thanks for the interest and concern
Old 08-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Man oh man! It sounds horrible in that place. Keep telling yourself there is still hope. Good luck to you, keep checking in here. We care.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:

I have an ancient laptop that was my brothers, probably 6 or 7 years old, I would be more than willing to pack it up and ship it if you like. I would need to make a banzai run to Caledonia NY from Canterbury CT between now and sunday at 930 am when I get my death pod removed [youngest goddaughter named my chemo infusion pump that ... got to love kids. ']
Old 08-24-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I have an ancient laptop that was my brothers, probably 6 or 7 years old, I would be more than willing to pack it up and ship it if you like. I would need to make a banzai run to Caledonia NY from Canterbury CT between now and sunday at 930 am when I get my death pod removed [youngest goddaughter named my chemo infusion pump that ... got to love kids. ']
1. No one's YET told me what I need in a laptop to run Left for dead 2 and Portal 2. I'll be doing more with it, but those are the most demanding tasks.

B. You probably don't know what the cpu and gpu is in that laptop, so it might not do the job. We don't know.

3. I won't be party to sending ANYONE on such a banzai run, let alone someone with a Death Pod!! Us sick folk have got to stick together!

I appreciate the concerns and efforts here. I only wish that the nursing home put forth the same effort. Maybe I'd be home by now.

I can't eat wheat. It's a trigger for my Crohn's, makes me flare, cramp and pass blood. Yesterday, they served me a dinner roll. Today, mashed potatoes with gravy. The assistant Mgr of the kitchen told me time and again to trust him, he'll make sure I get gluten free meals. He said he had gluten free noodles, so I ate them for weeks. Turned out, they were regular EGG noodles, made with wheat flour. HE NEVER READ THE INGREDIENTS. He thought regular, everyday EGG NOODLES were special noodles made with egg and not flour. He showed me the bag, and clear as day, it said WHEAT FLOUR on the ingredient list, and CONTAINS WHEAT.

They didn't know the nature of an everyday kitchen staple, and could not be bothered to read the ingredients, even though they were told the pain it would cause me if they got it wrong. , and the nurses were reporting the blood and pain...

Sheer incompetence. No one else has caused me so much pain without answering for it.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
1. No one's YET told me what I need in a laptop to run Left for dead 2 and Portal 2. I'll be doing more with it, but those are the most demanding tasks.

B. You probably don't know what the cpu and gpu is in that laptop, so it might not do the job. We don't know.

3. I won't be party to sending ANYONE on such a banzai run, let alone someone with a Death Pod!! Us sick folk have got to stick together!

I appreciate the concerns and efforts here. I only wish that the nursing home put forth the same effort. Maybe I'd be home by now.

I can't eat wheat. It's a trigger for my Crohn's, makes me flare, cramp and pass blood. Yesterday, they served me a dinner roll. Today, mashed potatoes with gravy. The assistant Mgr of the kitchen told me time and again to trust him, he'll make sure I get gluten free meals. He said he had gluten free noodles, so I ate them for weeks. Turned out, they were regular EGG noodles, made with wheat flour. HE NEVER READ THE INGREDIENTS. He thought regular, everyday EGG NOODLES were special noodles made with egg and not flour. He showed me the bag, and clear as day, it said WHEAT FLOUR on the ingredient list, and CONTAINS WHEAT.

They didn't know the nature of an everyday kitchen staple, and could not be bothered to read the ingredients, even though they were told the pain it would cause me if they got it wrong. , and the nurses were reporting the blood and pain...

Sheer incompetence. No one else has caused me so much pain without answering for it.
Well, we are planing on going to the other home next weekend for Labor Day, so I can bring the laptop back to the farm and double check and prep it for loaning out as I have friends who just surf and email, and I can extract the details just so I can be sure what it is I have on hand =)

Holy shit, what a moron - I have severe allergies to mushrooms and coconut, bivalves [clams, mussels, oysters, scallops and the lot] and have been checking ingredients for lo these many decades [at least 40, when I started cooking for myself and headed to university] I would almost make a list of what you are willing to eat of all their foods, and make them stock up on 'iron rations' [for me, the individual portions of shelf stable fruits - I adore applesauce, the diced peaches and diced pears, individual 100 calorie packs of pretzels, instant rice, certain dried fruit, packets of carnation instant breakfast that I mix with dried milk, ground oatmeal, ground flaxseed and a single serve of greek yogurt.] Zofran does let me get a good meal in shortly after I take it, but I try not to overuse it and many days I simply can't eat at all.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Honestly, you'd have gotten better and more comprehensive coordinated care in my state's prison system than what you've been getting since your initial hospitalization.

You wouldn't be able to go online though, or use your tablet. And the room decor sucks.

I'm so sorry for the treatment you've gotten at the hands of modern US medicine these days. I'm ashamed of how this system treats so many people.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Honestly, you'd have gotten better and more comprehensive coordinated care in my state's prison system than what you've been getting since your initial hospitalization.

You wouldn't be able to go online though, or use your tablet. And the room decor sucks.

I'm so sorry for the treatment you've gotten at the hands of modern US medicine these days. I'm ashamed of how this system treats so many people.
I used to have a great deal of respect for educated ppl who have spent years or decades honing their craft. Now, I realize incompetence can shine through even all that effort. I'm having to second-guess people way too much, and as someone with a history of Dvts and pulmonary embolisms, I really should NOT have needed to fight with ppl for a week before they'd investigate my leg pain, particularly when I was unable to walk and had swollen legs.

The Nurse Practitioner here at the home said that I should just get used to having compressed vertebrae, like some of the other residents. That just spoke volumes about how she saw me, and told me that if I was to make it home, it wouldn't be because of her. The only reason I hadn't had surgery to repair them already was because of the DVTs I got on their watch. Pissed me off the way she was writing me off as long-term resident, instead of someone who was walking around and caring for someone else just two months before, someone who was going to go home again soon as an independent person.

The way they keep feeding me gluten for months - I'm astonished this guy has a job at all. I was experiencing kidney-stone-level pain several times a day for months, and it's almost entirely on him. Now, the idiot is so pleased with himself for finding ACTUAL GLUTEN-FREE noodles, I get them 3-4 times a week. No sauce or butter or cheese with them, just plain boiled gluten-free noodles. I have never served plain elbow macaroni to anyone in my life. Who the hell does that? The last batch had no sauce, and was boiled into a single mushy piece of glop with only a few discernible noodles showing. They still manage to give me gravy and dinner rolls here and there, though, just to keep me on my toes.

The lesson I'm taking away is NEVER get anything important done outside a major city. You might get a good outcome, but I think the odds are better in a large city, like Boston or Chicago or Pittsburgh or Nashville. The competence and general attitude of staff and medical professionals are very different.

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 08-26-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Well, we are planing on going to the other home next weekend for Labor Day, so I can bring the laptop back to the farm and double check and prep it for loaning out as I have friends who just surf and email, and I can extract the details just so I can be sure what it is I have on hand =)

Holy shit, what a moron - I have severe allergies to mushrooms and coconut, bivalves [clams, mussels, oysters, scallops and the lot] and have been checking ingredients for lo these many decades [at least 40, when I started cooking for myself and headed to university] I would almost make a list of what you are willing to eat of all their foods, and make them stock up on 'iron rations' [for me, the individual portions of shelf stable fruits - I adore applesauce, the diced peaches and diced pears, individual 100 calorie packs of pretzels, instant rice, certain dried fruit, packets of carnation instant breakfast that I mix with dried milk, ground oatmeal, ground flaxseed and a single serve of greek yogurt.] Zofran does let me get a good meal in shortly after I take it, but I try not to overuse it and many days I simply can't eat at all.
Yeah, as I look at him with his big damn smile and think of what he's done to me over and over, and the sheer incompetence he displayed, the word MORON springs to mind often. I swear it's gonna spring off of my tongue one day. I never knew the Peter Principle to strike with such a vengeance. I'm not at all in the habit of talking about ppl the way I'm talking now. They are just astonishingly, bafflingly, consistently bad at their jobs in a way that has had very severe repercussions for my health.

I DID tell them what I could and couldn't eat. I listed their safe foods that I knew of, I made EASY, SIMPLE meal plans with things I know they have, and gave them a few easy-to-make recipes with just a few common ingredients. They liked it, did it a couple times, and that was the end of it. Now I get plain hamburger patties on a plate for about 7-8 of my 14 non-breakfast meals a week. I've tried for three months to get them to put LOW-FIBER on my diet as well. I've told him 5 or more times, each time he says he will. Each time I can see on the form that comes up with my meal that he didn't. That and all the salads kinda give it away. Crohn's patients, particularly in a flare, do not need a lot of fiber.

Well, if you're going there anyway and you're willing, we can check the laptop specs and see if it measures up to PROJAMMERS minimum specs. If it does, we'll discuss what I can give you for it. I hope the effort doesn't put you out much. Thank you.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:04 AM

Is there any way you can be transferred to another facility? The way you are being treated there is beyond disgraceful.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I went through that whole leg pain / dvt thing. They kept saying that the pain was from disuse. They finally did an ultrasound and found a dvt.

Are they giving you anything to prevent dvts? Maybe heparin or Lovenox?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:14 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
I used to have a great deal of respect for educated ppl who have spent years or decades honing their craft.
I've been hiring and firing and supervising and evaluating physicians for decades now, and honestly, physicians are just people. Perhaps a bit more idealistic AND arrogant than average at the same time, which can be a deadly combination. And some are entitled idiots. Less than half of them are as good as they think they are, and the best ones are those who know their limits and their areas of expertise, and are capable of listening to the patient. And too many have accepted their role as cogs in a profit-driven medical machine, instead of being there to determine what their patient's legitimate needs are medically, and advocating for them.

I've often fallen short in those ways myself, but I try to do better.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, as I look at him with his big damn smile and think of what he's done to me over and over, and the sheer incompetence he displayed, the word MORON springs to mind often. I swear it's gonna spring off of my tongue one day. I never knew the Peter Principle to strike with such a vengeance. I'm not at all in the habit of talking about ppl the way I'm talking now. They are just astonishingly, bafflingly, consistently bad at their jobs in a way that has had very severe repercussions for my health.

I DID tell them what I could and couldn't eat. I listed their safe foods that I knew of, I made EASY, SIMPLE meal plans with things I know they have, and gave them a few easy-to-make recipes with just a few common ingredients. They liked it, did it a couple times, and that was the end of it. Now I get plain hamburger patties on a plate for about 7-8 of my 14 non-breakfast meals a week. I've tried for three months to get them to put LOW-FIBER on my diet as well. I've told him 5 or more times, each time he says he will. Each time I can see on the form that comes up with my meal that he didn't. That and all the salads kinda give it away. Crohn's patients, particularly in a flare, do not need a lot of fiber.

Well, if you're going there anyway and you're willing, we can check the laptop specs and see if it measures up to PROJAMMERS minimum specs. If it does, we'll discuss what I can give you for it. I hope the effort doesn't put you out much. Thank you.
Will do.

Any chance of getting some sort of lawsuit against these morons?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:28 AM

My hopefully all-inclusive response. . .

I'm poor. This is what happens to the poor. The LUCKY ones. Last year, I was on the insurance exchange, paying for insurance. I had a hefty deductible, but all I did was get one of my biologic infusions as early in January as possible. They were ~$15,000 each, but the company forgave anything my insurance didn't cover, in such a way that my deductible was covered. After that, things were dirt cheap or free. I chose the insurance with a high deductible and low-everything-else, knowing I could do that. My insurance was pretty damn good the previous 3 years, buying off the exchange. Interestingly, every year I had to choose a new insurance company, because they kept withdrawing from this market at the end of the year.

I won my SSI case last fall, and that put me on medicaid in one of the deepest red states. Nice not to pay monthly premiums for it, PARTICULARLY given the events of the last three months. Probably would have lost insurance by now if I were still paying, but damn, this insurance isn't as good. I lost both my surgeon and my GI doctor of three years because of it, and I'm getting screwed around on the nursing home/rehab front. Not everyone takes this insurance, and I don't think I have any other options in this town. I can't transfer, I can't walk out. I'm basically stuck here no matter how bad things get. I'll ask around when I go to Nashville for my colectomy, but I doubt much will come of it, and I'll end up back here.

I just gotta get operated on and get home. I don't think I'll ever agree to such a nursing home stay again, regardless of the outcome. Three months in already, and it's five more weeks until my colectomy. After I recover from that, I need surgery to repair my vertebrae and rehab on that, so I can walk. I won't be home until after Thanksgiving. I only hope I can avoid another blood clot. I fear a blood clot death-spiral. I have a ten-minute timer on my tablet to remind me to move my legs.

RE: blood clots and thinners. Yeah, I've been on thinners for years, and they adjusted it after my clots. They were ENTIRELY too confident in my old blood thinner. They felt that I could not get a blood clot because I was already on a thinner, so much so that they ignored my complaints of leg pain and, "Something isn't right" for over a week before they tested my BADLY swollen legs

I don;t think I could scrape together any sort of case against this place. I'd have to prove they were giving me gluten and causing me pain for months, and while I have pictures of some of those meals, I can't prove they weren't gluten-free versions of those foods. Maybe I could do something about the blood clot I got on their watch. Likely not though, not the first time. If I get more clots, maybe my next-of-kin might have a case.

Thanks again, ARUVQAN
Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

What happened with me and the dvt was that they ignored the leg pain at first other than giving me pain meds, which didn't help. I assume they thought that it couldn't be a clot because I was getting daily heparin injections.

When they finally discovered the clot they changed me from heparin to Lovenox, which eliminated the pain almost immediately. So it's not a good idea to assume that you can't have a clot because you're on an anticoagulant.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
What happened with me and the dvt was that they ignored the leg pain at first other than giving me pain meds, which didn't help. I assume they thought that it couldn't be a clot because I was getting daily heparin injections.

When they finally discovered the clot they changed me from heparin to Lovenox, which eliminated the pain almost immediately. So it's not a good idea to assume that you can't have a clot because you're on an anticoagulant.
Well. I knew full well that I had a clot. It really could not have been much of anything else, given my history and my current state of health. The damn doctors were sure that it couldn't be a clot, though.

I am surprised that you got one on heparin though. Thought that was pretty effective stuff. Maybe they didn't have the dose right, or I'm simply incorrect about my heparin notions.

I'm kinda paranoid I'm going to get another clot before my next surgery. I've got a tingling in my right calf the past two days. I wonder what the risk would be to have the colectomy with a leg clot, given that I have a Greenfield filter in my inferior vena cava.

Yeah, I hope everyone reading this comes away remembering that blood thinners are NO GUARANTEE, and that they will be willing to push back when they think they may have a clot.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm not any kind of medical professional, so this is all surmise on my part, but the impression I got was that, while heparin is good, Lovenox is better but it's either more expensive or more dangerous (or both) so it's only used in cases where the heparin hasn't been effective enough.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not any kind of medical professional, so this is all surmise on my part, but the impression I got was that, while heparin is good, Lovenox is better but it's either more expensive or more dangerous (or both) so it's only used in cases where the heparin hasn't been effective enough.
iirc from my pharmacy tech job, a dose of Lovenox was in the hundreds of dollars, whereas heparin was measured in dollars, or tens of dollars. of course, that was quite some time ago, and Lovenox might have a cheap generic by now.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 AM

What I take from this thread is you're (FILB) insanely depressed, humble, thoughtful of others, and alone. You sound like you're abhorrent of self-pity to the point you aren't, or hadn't, as of the last post I read really forced your personal health and needs on others. I'm almost wondering if you're more frightened of accepting being dependent and under the control of the hospital than you are of inadvertently dying from poor health at home. Actually, I take that back. You sound more likely afraid they'll throw you out again and leave you to die, which would be even worse. It gets harder and harder to believe you're a human being when no one will help in a time of need.

Before you devolve into a gibbering mess, I'd suggest doing the seemingly humiliating/shameful thing of asking a family member to help. As in, tell them exactly how bad it is. Someone who can visit multiple times a day and make phone calls until this is sorted out.

From personal experience, I can say I always believed there was no limit to a person's willpower and sanity. I thought as long as I trudged ahead there was no breaking point. For most of my life, this worked out pretty well and I survived some insanely screwed up things. But, I'm questioning that logic these days. I have a sense in me that there were times, under the right conditions, I could have had a psychotic break just long enough to really end my life, or maybe done something awful in desperation like a third party watching a movie of myself in that moment. And you, sir, are under an incredibly large amount of stress both physically and psychologically. (Apparently, according to your posts.)