Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Did Illinois (Springfield In Particular) Change Its Fireworks Laws While I Wasn't Looking?

I was in Springfield last weekend, saw pop-up fireworks tents here and there. I last lived in Springfield (or anywhere in Illinois) in 2014, and at the time the Springfield Police Department was quite clear that fireworks were illegal in Illinois, and the SPD would bust you for setting off so much as a firecracker. There sure as hell weren't any fireworks stands.

Did something change when I wasn't looking? Or are these tents just selling snakes & sparklers?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

Well, I can't tell you what the tents are selling without a site visit (feel free to send 1st class airline tickets) but this site says
"With the exception of mostly novelty items, fireworks are illegal to purchase or use in the State of Illinois. While each municipality has its own fireworks ordinance..."
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I haven't heard about any changes. However, I've also seen the little popup stands, too. I think they're just black snakes, sparklers, pull poppers, smoke bombs and other lame, non-fireworky things. Even the grocery stores here put up displays, not unlike Easter baskets.