The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM

can someone send me a PM when the NBA Finals start?
Advertisements  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
When Cleveland went into Boston and ripped them up on national TV with about 10 games left into the season, that was enough evidence for me who the Alpha Dog was in the East. Records, schmecords. The Cavs were just bored and ready to get on with the real season.
As I said...LOL

Seriously, though, Cleveland didn't just beat Boston last night, that took away their manhood on national TV. I'll tell you one thing: Danny Ainge must have been absolutely PISSED at watching that performance. That was a gutless effort from Boston. I've seen lopsided losses but watching the game, that loss was worse than the score. Boston had no energy. They were afraid of Cleveland.

I like Brad Stevens as a coach. I think he's a smart guy and has good character. And his calm and composed nature has helped this team mature. But he's gonna have to show some Gregg Popovich between now and game 3 or I wouldn't put it past Ainge to show him the door. Ainge played with possibly the greatest Celtics teams of all time and those guys were brutally competitive. That's not what Ainge stands for and if the Celtics play like that again I bet he phones up his old teammate Larry Legend and begs him to come back into coaching again.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But he's gonna have to show some Gregg Popovich between now and game 3 or I wouldn't put it past Ainge to show him the door.
As embarrassing as last night was - and I missed most of it due to a wedding rehearsal dinner, but what I saw was pretty embarrassing - there is literally zero chance that this happens.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM

So glad I have plans tonight and won't see the Spurs game
Old 05-20-2017, 07:18 PM

The Cavs can breathe a sigh of relief, Isaiah Thomas is out for the rest of the season. I thought they were in trouble.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 PM

So.

As if we weren't already pretty much guaranteed to see Cavs/Warriors III when the playoffs (perhaps even the regular season) began, now the Spurs and Celtics have both lost their best players.

I see both the Warriors and Cavs going into the NBA Finals with 12-0 records.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
So.

As if we weren't already pretty much guaranteed to see Cavs/Warriors III when the playoffs (perhaps even the regular season) began, now the Spurs and Celtics have both lost their best players.

I see both the Warriors and Cavs going into the NBA Finals with 12-0 records.
Yup, GS up 98-86 headed into the 4th and will likely be up 3-0

We know cleveland will go 4-0 because they are going home where they are tougher to beat
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM

The strange thing is, in every game there's been points when San Antonio or Boston have looked like they were about to make it a game. Then four minutes later they're down 15 with a stunned look on their faces like "what just happened?"
Old 05-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
The strange thing is, in every game there's been points when San Antonio or Boston have looked like they were about to make it a game. Then four minutes later they're down 15 with a stunned look on their faces like "what just happened?"
Those damm 3's
Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM

This is one of the first years in a long time when I just haven't been able to watch the NBA playoffs, which is usually a pretty good pretty after the first round. But I don't think I've missed anything from the looks of things. It's unfortunate that San Antonio's been plagued with injuries just when it looked like they were beginning to play their best basketball of the year, but I still think GS is a better team by at least 2 games in a best of 7 series. OTOH, I never really doubted that Cleveland would take the East -- they just got bored. And now suddenly, they're looking like a very deep and balanced type of team that can go small & fast or longer & stronger inside -- or mix it up with both.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
This is one of the first years in a long time when I just haven't been able to watch the NBA playoffs, which is usually a pretty good pretty after the first round. But I don't think I've missed anything from the looks of things. It's unfortunate that San Antonio's been plagued with injuries just when it looked like they were beginning to play their best basketball of the year, but I still think GS is a better team by at least 2 games in a best of 7 series. OTOH, I never really doubted that Cleveland would take the East -- they just got bored. And now suddenly, they're looking like a very deep and balanced type of team that can go small & fast or longer & stronger inside -- or mix it up with both.

Will Lebron leave again if the Cavs lose in the Finals? I really hope not because it would really destroy his legacy
Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 PM

Celtics go into Cleveland and win Game 3???
Old 05-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

When LeBron was out of the game in the late third quarter and the C's made their run, and then he was weirdly passive for much of the fourth, it was suddenly Really Obvious how the Cavs only ended up as the 2 seed. They're very, very vulnerable when he's off the court and/or has an off night. It's a testament to how great he is that it took 11 games before he had one.

That said, I am NOT jumping out of my seat to spend $300 for a pair of the cheapest seats in the house to see them lose by 40 again in game 5.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 PM

Now I regret not watching that game.

ETA: LeBron really is that team. He willed them to the Finals two years ago with Irving and Love out, and just about did it again singlehandedly last year to come back from 3-1. As much as I want to dislike him, and he's given plenty of reasons, the dude can flat out play.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 05-21-2017 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Added a few nuts
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM

This separates the Cavs from the warriors now. They were unable to keep pace with the warriors and go up 3-0.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Meh, I wouldn't read too much into a single loss. It's a matter of sports psychology: Cleveland had been beating up on the Celtics going back to the end of the regular season and they had cruised through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. In fact they had just turned in one of the most dominant performances in NBA post-season history and were well on their way to winning again. We've seen this happen in all different kinds of sports: a team gets so dominant that it loses its competitive edge and gets caught off guard. I'm not saying Boston didn't deserve to win or that they are completely incapable of playing Cleveland at their best, but the only likely explanation is that Cleveland mentally got bored - just like they were for much of the season - and got caught napping. I expect different results in game 5.

On a different note, while I don't think the outcome of the series will change, this was a huge win for Boston going forward. The team showed character and I think it reassures the young nucleus of talent that, regardless of what happens in this series, there's something to build in the future.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Now I regret not watching that game.

ETA: LeBron really is that team. He willed them to the Finals two years ago with Irving and Love out, and just about did it again singlehandedly last year to come back from 3-1. As much as I want to dislike him, and he's given plenty of reasons, the dude can flat out play.
Lebron is definitely the center of the team but he does have a supporting cast that has to be reckoned with. Kyrie Irving is a solid player and a starter on any team. Korver is a great perimeter shooter that has to be guarded. Kevin Love is a great inside presence. Deron Williams can create offense on his own. This Cavs team is reminiscent of the 1990s Bulls and the Miami Heat of a few years ago. There's no doubt that Lebron's the centerpiece, but he's not playing with Verajao and scabs anymore. He's got a very solid supporting cast. Don't kid yourselves -- Cleveland is a very, very good and deep team.

Last edited by asahi; 05-22-2017 at 07:04 AM..
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM

I'd have to argue that the Cavs are not especially deep. Look what happens when LeBron doesn't put up 30. Love and Kyrie got theirs, but if LeBron has trouble putting in the hoop, the team struggles to win.

The Cavs' big 3 are among the best, that's why they're as good as they are. Tristan Thompson is an adequate PF. JR Smith would be a role player off the bench for a lot of teams, and the Cavs' depth issues go on from there.

On the other side, look how much better Boston defends without Isaiah Thomas. Just sayin'. By the way, there is still a 0% chance of them winning this series.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Meh, I wouldn't read too much into a single loss. It's a matter of sports psychology: Cleveland had been beating up on the Celtics going back to the end of the regular season and they had cruised through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. In fact they had just turned in one of the most dominant performances in NBA post-season history and were well on their way to winning again. We've seen this happen in all different kinds of sports: a team gets so dominant that it loses its competitive edge and gets caught off guard. I'm not saying Boston didn't deserve to win or that they are completely incapable of playing Cleveland at their best, but the only likely explanation is that Cleveland mentally got bored - just like they were for much of the season - and got caught napping. I expect different results in game 5.
All that, and the Celts without Isaiah Thomas are a very different (not better, just different) team, and the Cavs failed to adjust.

Quote:
On a different note, while I don't think the outcome of the series will change, this was a huge win for Boston going forward. The team showed character and I think it reassures the young nucleus of talent that, regardless of what happens in this series, there's something to build in the future.
Getting solid postseason minutes out of Jaylen Brown is also a huge win, he's starting to develop nicely. Percolating, if you will.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lebron is definitely the center of the team but he does have a supporting cast that has to be reckoned with. Kyrie Irving is a solid player and a starter on any team. Korver is a great perimeter shooter that has to be guarded. Kevin Love is a great inside presence. Deron Williams can create offense on his own. This Cavs team is reminiscent of the 1990s Bulls and the Miami Heat of a few years ago. There's no doubt that Lebron's the centerpiece, but he's not playing with Verajao and scabs anymore. He's got a very solid supporting cast. Don't kid yourselves -- Cleveland is a very, very good and deep team.
Counterpoint: we now have three years of sample size and can say fairly confidently that the Cavs lose to basically everyone when LeBron is the only one missing the game (either because he's injured or they rested him but played Irving/Love), and they struggle to varying degrees when he's off the court within games (lots of stats we could pull here, from simple +/- to advanced stats that adjust for the fact that when he's out the other starters are often out... and they all say the same thing). We also have evidence that when one or both of the other two stars miss a game but LeBron plays, they're still very, very good.

It's a much better roster than in the past in that everything fits around LeBron. There's a much higher ceiling than, say, his first time in CLE, just because everyone around him can actually shoot. When he can play 42 MPG in the playoffs and never have a long term injury, that's a great recipe for success! I'm sure they would rearrange the system around Love if LeBron were to disappear tomorrow, and they might even have some success that way. But to paraphrase you a bit, don't kid yourself - the Cavs still hemorrhage points to other teams' benches, they still lose almost all of the games that LeBron sits, and as he goes, they go.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
On the other side, look how much better Boston defends without Isaiah Thomas. Just sayin'. By the way, there is still a 0% chance of them winning this series.
Oh god, this is so true. I have thoroughly enjoyed the IT experience this year, but I think we have pretty good evidence at this point that the NBA is now smart enough to exploit a short PG over a seven game series, no matter how good they are on offense (IT, the Portland backcourt, even Kyrie to some degree).
Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I'd have to argue that the Cavs are not especially deep. Look what happens when LeBron doesn't put up 30. Love and Kyrie got theirs, but if LeBron has trouble putting in the hoop, the team struggles to win.

The Cavs' big 3 are among the best, that's why they're as good as they are. Tristan Thompson is an adequate PF. JR Smith would be a role player off the bench for a lot of teams, and the Cavs' depth issues go on from there.

Especially since they only won.last night because of a fluke shot
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkt View Post
Especially since they only won.last night because of a fluke shot
And which shot was that? A wide-open three pointer that got a friendly bounce? Hardly a fluke shot.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdash View Post
And which shot was that? A wide-open three pointer that got a friendly bounce? Hardly a fluke shot.
Yes that's the shot. It bounced 3 times before going in the basket.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yes that's the shot. It bounced 3 times before going in the basket.
Eh, I wouldn't call that a fluke. It took a circuitous route into the basket, but that was a rather high-percentage shot overall. It's not like it was a half court shot or something.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:05 AM

The Spurs' season is over and so, apparently, is the career of Manu Ginobili. He says he'll make a decision in a couple weeks, but the way Pop was talking sounds like the decision is made. I always liked Manu, he was fun to watch.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Well, that was anticlimactic. The standing ovations for Manu Ginobli were nice, but the game just wasn't...anything. By the time I turned it on, the Warriors were up by 14, and it never even seemed like it was THAT close.

From what I've gathered, Klay Thompson has sort of taken a back seat with the arrival of Durant. As much as I love me some Splash Brothers, giving him the chance to sit back and focus on his defense. That will be needed against LeBron and Co.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
From what I've gathered, Klay Thompson has sort of taken a back seat with the arrival of Durant.
Not really, if anything he was less affected than Curry who deferred a bit too much early in the season. He averaged 22.1 pts/game last year and 22.3 this year. His minutes per game has also increased slightly from 33.3 to 34.0 as he plays with the "second unit" more often in the staggered schedule they've been using.

It's more that he just has been in a slump throughout the playoffs. As one of the commentators notice last night, he's getting his shots - the problem is he only converted one of eight in the first half . Of all the "All-Star Warriors" he has always been the one who runs the most hot and cold and right now he's just pretty damn cold.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-23-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Welp, I'm glad to be wrong on that. I've always known he was a hot or cold shooter, but damn. He really is in a scoring rut. Looking at his per game statistics, he's almost 10 ppg below last year (which was significantly higher than any other year), and below every other postseason as well.

In my later wanderings, LeBron James is averaging over 32 ppg, 6 more than last year, and the most in a postseason since 2008-9.

Crazily, that's still less than Jordan AVERAGED in postseason play, though he played fewer postseason games than James has.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

The first round was best of 5 when Jordan played.

And for an example of the Cavs' lack of depth, just look at lasts night's box score. All players outside of LeBron, Kyrie and Love, scored a total of 19 points. Kyle Korver played 20 minutes and did not even take a shot. And it's not like they were stuffing the stat sheet with rebounds and assists, either.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

He was also getting bounced in the first round, while averaging over 40 points a game. It's not a knock against Jordan at all - the league didn't seem nearly as uneven as it does now. James' teams are virtually guaranteed a berth in the Conference Finals at least, given LeBron James and the paucity of strong teams in the East. When your current "powerhouses" are Toronto, Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta (outside of LeBron James-led teams), there's nothing really scary until the Finals.

I regret the fact that I was too young to truly understand Jordan's dominance while he was playing. Does the NBA have anything like NFL's Gamepass where I can go back and watch all his games? I'd pay real money for that.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Will Lebron leave again if the Cavs lose in the Finals? I really hope not because it would really destroy his legacy
IMHO Lebron won't leave and if he did it wouldn't hurt his legacy, whatever that is, the least little bit.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniracer View Post
IMHO Lebron won't leave and if he did it wouldn't hurt his legacy, whatever that is, the least little bit.
Why if he left a team for the 3rd after failure?
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

I like Golden State in 5 over Cleveland

I like Golden State in 4 over Cleveland if Boston wins tomorrow night
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why if he left a team for the 3rd after failure?
Yeah, but he already has had tremendous success. Especially after the heroics of last year I think his reputation is pretty much sealed. Thirty years from now it will be nothing much more than a footnote that he went team-hopping - his overall brilliance will outshine everything else over time.

I expect much the same to happen with Durant, if he wins a championship or two. In thirty years nobody will really care he left Oklahoma ( after an eight year investment ) to form a super-team.