Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Poysyn Poysyn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,952
Tiny errors that drive you insane

I was watching "The Good Wife" recently, and they had an episode where Alicia was meeting with high-ranking military and government officials. I am generally willing to suspend my disbelief with most things military in most movies, after all, I recognize that it's a pretty steep learning curve to expect everyone to get everything right.

Except for one thing.

And every single time I see it, it drives me insane. It's such a small, nothing detail, and would be SO EASY for them (Hollywood) to get it right, but they really never do.

Why does every military beret look like someone threw a wool pizza on their head? Seriously. It's ridiculous. Form the damn beret! It's such a simple thing.

Anyone else have a miniscule irritation centered around their industry or hobby, that would not be hard to get right, but for some reason, no one ever does?
  #2  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM
billfish678 billfish678 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,587
The "double tube" look when someone looks through binoculars drives me insane...though it is so ingrained now in movies the average Joe probably freaks out when someone once in a great while shows it the right way.

Cue sound of eagle that sounds more like a screeching red tailed hawk now...
  #3  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM
ivylass ivylass is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Orlando(ish)
Posts: 21,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Why does every military beret look like someone threw a wool pizza on their head? Seriously. It's ridiculous. Form the damn beret! It's such a simple thing.
Heh. Ivygirl was just saying after graduation that she'd have to wet her beret again. She said they hold their shape for about three days.
  #4  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Dinsdale Dinsdale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 16,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
Cue sound of eagle that sounds more like a screeching red tailed hawk now...
Funny - I was just in Costa Rica, and a guides phone rang with a long descending screech. I asked if that was a red tailed hawk, and he responded, "No - imperial eagle."

But yeah, I've been trying to learn a bit of birdsong, and it is striking how often they'll have something blatantly incorrect as background noise.

Re: the beret - are you talking about that (IMO) stupid looking flop over the brow look? Since all of the army started to ape Special Forces/Airborne/Rangers, I find that more irritating than any misrepresentation on screen! ;D
  #5  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Intergalactic Gladiator Intergalactic Gladiator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,743
It takes a lot of work to form a beret and I assume the ones on TV are pretty much straight out of the box. You have to pull out the liner, wet it, shave it, squish it, wet it again, shave it some more, wet it, squish it into the right shape (put something really heavy on top of it), repeat a few more times until it looks sharp. I think mine took a week to form. I would assume a costume department isn't going to put much effort into forming berets but you're right Poysyn, floppy chef's hat berets look awful.
  #6  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Abner Ravenwood Abner Ravenwood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 239
In keeping with the military theme of the OP, whenever a Marine salutes without a cover on his grape.
  #7  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:46 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Whenever a grunt acknowledges a direct order with nothing more than a nod of his head. Of course, it would blow the entire budget if he said "Yes, sir!" or "Yes, Sergeant!"
  #8  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM
billfish678 billfish678 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Whenever a grunt acknowledges a direct order with nothing more than a nod of his head. Of course, it would blow the entire budget if he said "Yes, sir!" or "Yes, Sergeant!"
Reminds me of the time I faxed something. It was to a MASTER Sergeant....and I accidentally just put Sergeant on the header. People on the other end apparently howled with laughter. He was mad AS HELL. But I was a random civilian so what could they do?

On the one hand I kinda felt bad. But on the other hand he WAS kinda a dick so I didn't feel THAT bad about it.
  #9  
Old 02-29-2016, 03:57 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
Reminds me of the time I faxed something. It was to a MASTER Sergeant....and I accidentally just put Sergeant on the header. People on the other end apparently howled with laughter. He was mad AS HELL. But I was a random civilian so what could they do?.
You realize, of course, that by referring to him as just "Sergeant" you knocked him several rungs down the ladder?*

*An E-5 as opposed to an E-8!
  #10  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:00 PM
billfish678 billfish678 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
You realize, of course, that by referring to him as just "Sergeant" you knocked him several rungs down the ladder?*

*An E-5 as opposed to an E-8!

Yes, but I was just an engineering peon myself....I actually caught a good bit of hell for that...but given that I was about as low my totem pole as I could be (and getting screwed to be honest about it)...and that it wasn't on purpose...it just kinda went over me like water on a ducks back...which I think probably just pissed some people off even more.

Last edited by billfish678; 02-29-2016 at 04:02 PM.
  #11  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 PM
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,146
Washington, DC is the capitAl of the USA. That big white building downtown with the dome is the CapitOl.
  #12  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:20 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Washington, DC is the capitAl of the USA. That big white building downtown with the dome is the CapitOl.
I once saw a guy lose on Jeopardy! by making this mistake ("Capitol" was the correct response.)
  #13  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Channing Idaho Banks Channing Idaho Banks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: beautiful Idaho
Posts: 2,086
I like my mushrooms cut in slices. If I get my mushrooms quartered, I totally am not into it.
  #14  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 38,470
Electrical: calling a receptacle a "wall socket". I know it's just trade ignorance, but it bugs me.

For a real nitpick: you don't pour concrete, you place it. Even when it's being pumped to the top of a building and comes sliding down a chute, it's being 'placed'. I suspect there are few outside of the construction game who know that.

Cooking: "saute" does not mean to gently cook vegetables on low temperature. That's called "sweating". Saute means to fry something quickly in fat.
  #15  
Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Epimetheus Epimetheus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
For a real nitpick: you don't pour concrete, you place it. Even when it's being pumped to the top of a building and comes sliding down a chute, it's being 'placed'. I suspect there are few outside of the construction game who know that.
Well, to be fair, it's not just movies or TV that does this, a quick Google search shows many instances of this, from Handyman magazine to Home Depot, to concretenetwork.com (in this case, the title is Pouring Concrete - How Concrete is Placed, but it still uses pouring in the article itself). It may be one of those common usage things that changes the definition of a word, like tragedy.

Last edited by Epimetheus; 02-29-2016 at 05:06 PM.
  #16  
Old 02-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Poysyn Poysyn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
It takes a lot of work to form a beret and I assume the ones on TV are pretty much straight out of the box. You have to pull out the liner, wet it, shave it, squish it, wet it again, shave it some more, wet it, squish it into the right shape (put something really heavy on top of it), repeat a few more times until it looks sharp. I think mine took a week to form. I would assume a costume department isn't going to put much effort into forming berets but you're right Poysyn, floppy chef's hat berets look awful.
You can do it in less than a week, if you wear it until it dries, but our berets may be from different suppliers? I am not saying it has to be perfect (I don't expect that), but just flopped on with the little tails in back ARGH!

I did mention it was a tiny error
  #17  
Old 02-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 55,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
You realize, of course, that by referring to him as just "Sergeant" you knocked him several rungs down the ladder?*

*An E-5 as opposed to an E-8!
A buddy of mine was running a motor pool in Vietnam during the war. He was a CW2, Army.

As he tells it, one day he gets a call: "This is Captain such-and-so. Please send a car to pick me up."

That was a pretty ballsy request from a junior officer, so it got placed at the bottom f a long list.

Several hours later: "This is Captain S-a-so -- where the hell is my car?"

At that point my friend says something like, "Maybe you should just get your own transport, sir." And hangs up.

An hour later, in storms Navy Captain Such-and-So. (The Naval rank of Captain is a senior officer, O-6, as opposed to,the comparatively lowly Army O-3).

This wasn't a film error, but the SGT / MSG confusion reminded me of the story. My friend dodged the wrath of the guy by sending someone else out to meet him, I think.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.

Last edited by Bricker; 02-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
  #18  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 2,904
Whenever I read someone is an alum, I wonder how he could be an aluminum potassium sulfate. Might he be used in pickles?

Finishing the word with -nus (or -na for a female) really wouldn't be that hard.

Last edited by california jobcase; 02-29-2016 at 07:10 PM.
  #19  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
rsat3acr rsat3acr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
You realize, of course, that by referring to him as just "Sergeant" you knocked him several rungs down the ladder?*

*An E-5 as opposed to an E-8!
In speaking all sergeants are referred to as sergeant unless they are a first sergeant or sergeant major. In writing they would be addressed by rank; SGT SSG SFC MSG 1SG SGM CSM
  #20  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Flyer Flyer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Why does every military beret look like someone threw a wool pizza on their head?
I thought that's what they more or less were.

The idea that a beret is useful or practical in any sense whatsoever is utterly laughable.
  #21  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:22 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Re: the beret - are you talking about that (IMO) stupid looking flop over the brow look? Since all of the army started to ape Special Forces/Airborne/Rangers, I find that more irritating than any misrepresentation on screen! ;D
Yeah, that looks dorky, regardless the branch.

Um, except in the case of the Canadian military! Then it's sexy and tough and not the least bit stupid looking!
  #22  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 PM
hogarth hogarth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,660
It drives me crazy when I hear someone use the word "worse" instead of "worst" (e.g. "worse case scenario"), but to be fair they do sound pretty similar.
  #23  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
In speaking all sergeants are referred to as sergeant unless they are a first sergeant or sergeant major. In writing they would be addressed by rank; SGT SSG SFC MSG 1SG SGM CSM
The incident in question did indeed involve a fax.
  #24  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:14 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The idea that a beret is useful or practical in any sense whatsoever is utterly laughable.
The current Civil War (Union)--style US Army uniforms are not just laughable, they're hideous. Yecch!
  #25  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Seanette Seanette is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,455
Phrases like "should of", "off of", and so on. Substitution of "of" for "have" is bad enough, but "off of" is just awful, IMO.
  #26  
Old 02-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Ají de Gallina Ají de Gallina is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Perú
Posts: 4,285
I'm not mad it's always a red-tailed hawk. I'm mad every freaking time they show an eagle, hawk, or falcon, they screech.
Most digital cameras, apparently still make the sound of a film camera with an autowinder.
  #27  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 PM
j666 j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Whenever a grunt acknowledges a direct order with nothing more than a nod of his head. Of course, it would blow the entire budget if he said "Yes, sir!" or "Yes, Sergeant!"
Not the entire budget, no, but unless the Nameless Grunt is always the same actor, those little bits of realism can add up quickly.
  #28  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Not the entire budget, no, but unless the Nameless Grunt is always the same actor, those little bits of realism can add up quickly.
So? Have the same guy be the nameless grunt in every such shot. In uniform, and with a quick makeup change, it's unlikely anyone would notice, especially since he'll be on screen for only three or four seconds at a time.
  #29  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Daylate Daylate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
For a real nitpick: you don't pour concrete, you place it. Even when it's being pumped to the top of a building and comes sliding down a chute, it's being 'placed'. I suspect there are few outside of the construction game who know that.

Well, to be fair, it's not just movies or TV that does this, a quick Google search shows many instances of this, from Handyman magazine to Home Depot, to concretenetwork.com (in this case, the title is Pouring Concrete - How Concrete is Placed, but it still uses pouring in the article itself). It may be one of those common usage things that changes the definition of a word, like tragedy.
Gotta disagree with the OP. I was an engineer with a large consulting firm back in the day, and spent a lot of time as inspector on some huge concrete jobs (40,000+ yards). Almost always heard the word "pour" used instead of "placed". The word "placed" was used, but rarely.

I will say, one of the things that frosts my gourd is to hear a civilian refer to something like a "cement" sidewalk. It's a "concrete" sidewalk, dammit! "Cement" is what you put into the mix of sand, gravel, and water to make concrete.
  #30  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:26 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,809
When East Coast highways are referred to as "The ##".
  #31  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:30 PM
guestchaz guestchaz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Heh. Ivygirl was just saying after graduation that she'd have to wet her beret again. She said they hold their shape for about three days.
the beret thing the op mentioned drives me nuts too, plus the way they just plop the insignia where ever, usually dead center of the forehead like some sort of targeting reticule. Holy crap and if there is more than one "soldier" wearing a beret...they could at least try to be consistent from person to person on how they wear the thing.


ivylass, that's weird to me and Mrs. Guest, never had that problem ever with ours. shaved and shaped our berets once and it was good forever. wonder if they changed the material or something at some point. (took an entire day of walking around with wet wool on the head, stroking it periodically to shape it juuuust right)

Last edited by guestchaz; 02-29-2016 at 11:33 PM.
  #32  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,827
Not so tiny and ok, the whole series is an anachronism but...

The Ministry of Time is a TVE (Spanish PBS) series about a government agency whose duty is to keep history the way it was. Huge things such as people sagely spouting "you cannot travel ahead" when the people present are in 2016 and include people from the 15th, 16th and 19th centuries don't bother me near as much as people referencing "christmas tree bulbs" in Madrid in 1920 or saying that a picture of a man and a woman from the 19th century must be of their wedding because she's wearing something old, something new, and something borrowed which the speaker knows to be blue (at the time, a bride would have been in black. Black. Black. Head to toes black. And the four things tradition reached Spain with American Pie!). Or, oh yeah, El Cid's men being in uniform. Clean new uniforms, at that... (never mind that the actress playing 50sh Dońa Jimena looked to not even be 40).
  #33  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:44 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Phrases like "should of", "off of", and so on. Substitution of "of" for "have" is bad enough, but "off of" is just awful, IMO.
[SCOTTISH ACCENT] Gi' us an example there, lass?

Last edited by terentii; 02-29-2016 at 11:48 PM.
  #34  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 73,163
Quote:
Quoth california jobcase:

Whenever I read someone is an alum, I wonder how he could be an aluminum potassium sulfate. Might he be used in pickles?

Finishing the word with -nus (or -na for a female) really wouldn't be that hard.
And just speaking English instead of Latin isn't that hard either, and has the twin advantages that it's gender-neutral and people know how to pluralize it. Just because "alumn" has "alumnus" in its etymology, doesn't mean that it's the same word.

What bugs me in movies? When they show the night sky, and it isn't any night sky ever visible from Earth. OK, I understand that cameras have much less dynamic range than eyes, so they can't just shoot the actual night sky. I understand that they have to put in a simulated sky. But is there any reason that the simulated sky can't simulate the real constellations?
  #35  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Not so tiny and ok, the whole series is an anachronism but...

The Ministry of Time is a TVE (Spanish PBS) series about a government agency whose duty is to keep history the way it was.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyagers!
  #36  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 PM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,827
Perhaps they could use stock photographs? Bit of CGI if you want it to move and that's it.

ETA: terentii, sorry but do you mean we should add it to that list somewhere or that some of the things in that list are about time jumpers?

Last edited by Nava; 02-29-2016 at 11:50 PM.
  #37  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:54 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What bugs me in movies? When they show the night sky, and it isn't any night sky ever visible from Earth. OK, I understand that cameras have much less dynamic range than eyes, so they can't just shoot the actual night sky. I understand that they have to put in a simulated sky. But is there any reason that the simulated sky can't simulate the real constellations?
The problem is that most people (including the graphic artists) have no clue as to what part of the sky is suitable for a particular shot. I'm thinking here in particular of the closing shot of that TNG episode where Picard's nephew was gazing at Orion, which was appropriate neither for the latitude or season in which the story took place.
  #38  
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 PM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
ETA: terentii, sorry but do you mean we should add it to that list somewhere or that some of the things in that list are about time jumpers?
I was merely noting the apparent similarity between the two series.

Last edited by terentii; 02-29-2016 at 11:55 PM.
  #39  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,827
Which? Your link is to one of those "here are twenty things that can be filed as 'voyager'" pages.
  #40  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 AM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Sorry. The exclamation point was placed outside the [/url] command (a peculiarity of the site, not my fault):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyagers!
  #41  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 AM
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,448
The mind boggles at the thought that there is only one "correct" version of history, i.e., "as we know it."
  #42  
Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 13,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Whenever I read someone is an alum, I wonder how he could be an aluminum potassium sulfate. Might he be used in pickles?

Finishing the word with -nus (or -na for a female) really wouldn't be that hard.
But that's the word that is used in general practice, that's not a mistake.
  #43  
Old 03-01-2016, 01:04 AM
buddha_david buddha_david is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Beyond The Fringe
Posts: 26,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
When they show the night sky, and it isn't any night sky ever visible from Earth. OK, I understand that cameras have much less dynamic range than eyes, so they can't just shoot the actual night sky. I understand that they have to put in a simulated sky. But is there any reason that the simulated sky can't simulate the real constellations?
The thing that really bugs me is that dreadful "day for night" effect, where they shoot the scene in daylight with a blue filter to simulate nighttime. Even in the hands of a skilled director, it always looks bad -- in the night scenes of Mad Max: Fury Road, the characters were CASTING SHADOWS, fer Cripes' sake!
  #44  
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Electrical: calling a receptacle a "wall socket". I know it's just trade ignorance, but it bugs me.
I'm not in the trade, but please fight my ignorance: is "wall socket" not just one of the commonly used terms for "receptacle"?
  #45  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
The mind boggles at the thought that there is only one "correct" version of history, i.e., "as we know it."
Several of the chapters deal with finding out that... it wasn't quiiiite like that (aside from the team's own manipulations).
  #46  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 AM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,111
WAG: I suspect that as an electrical wiring professional, he prefers that the term "socket" be reserved for receptacles for actual loads (such as light bulbs) rather than shared with outlets for power cords.

ETA: The above is intended as a response to Vinyl Turnip's query.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-01-2016 at 09:39 AM.
  #47  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 AM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 11,584
News media that refers to every type of earth moving construction equipment as a 'Bull Dozer'.
  #48  
Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Peremensoe Peremensoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
WAG: I suspect that as an electrical wiring professional, he prefers that the term "socket" be reserved for receptacles for actual loads (such as light bulbs) rather than shared with outlets for power cords.
You mean lamps.
  #49  
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Philster Philster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 10,482
When any coincidence is declared ironic.
  #50  
Old 03-01-2016, 11:01 AM
ivylass ivylass is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Orlando(ish)
Posts: 21,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
A buddy of mine was running a motor pool in Vietnam during the war. He was a CW2, Army.

As he tells it, one day he gets a call: "This is Captain such-and-so. Please send a car to pick me up."

That was a pretty ballsy request from a junior officer, so it got placed at the bottom f a long list.

Several hours later: "This is Captain S-a-so -- where the hell is my car?"

At that point my friend says something like, "Maybe you should just get your own transport, sir." And hangs up.

An hour later, in storms Navy Captain Such-and-So. (The Naval rank of Captain is a senior officer, O-6, as opposed to,the comparatively lowly Army O-3).

This wasn't a film error, but the SGT / MSG confusion reminded me of the story. My friend dodged the wrath of the guy by sending someone else out to meet him, I think.
Should he have identified himself as US Navy Captain? I know the ranks don't equal up (Navy Captain = Army Colonel) so I wonder how they keep the distinctions straight and give the proper respect across the services.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017