Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Dumb Donald FINALLY acknowledges the suffering in Puerto Rico. They got THREE, count 'em THREE, tweets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Well, they're brown and many don't speak English. Donnie was probably asking his cabinet about building a wall so that they wouldn't flee to the US when Kelly and McMaster reminded him that PRicans are US citizens. Knowing Donnie, they probably had to go in and repeat it every 15 minutes during the intervening days it actually took him to respond.
Let's see. This is from Puerto Rico's governor's interview:

JOHN YANG: Governor, are you getting all the aid you need or getting it fast enough from the states?

GOV. RICARDO ROSSELLO: First of all, we are very grateful for the administration. They have responded quickly.

The president has been very attentive to the situation, personally calling me several times. FEMA and the FEMA director have been here in Puerto Rico twice. As a matter of fact, they were here with us today, making sure that all the resources in FEMA were working in conjunction with the central government. We have been working together.

We have been getting results. The magnitude of this catastrophe is enormous. This is going to take a lot of help, a lot of collaboration. So, my call is to congressmen and congresswomen to take action quickly and conclusively with an aid package for Puerto Rico.
Advertisements  
Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Let's see. This is from Puerto Rico's governor's interview:

JOHN YANG: Governor, are you getting all the aid you need or getting it fast enough from the states?

GOV. RICARDO ROSSELLO: First of all, we are very grateful for the administration. They have responded quickly.

The president has been very attentive to the situation, personally calling me several times. FEMA and the FEMA director have been here in Puerto Rico twice. As a matter of fact, they were here with us today, making sure that all the resources in FEMA were working in conjunction with the central government. We have been working together.

We have been getting results. The magnitude of this catastrophe is enormous. This is going to take a lot of help, a lot of collaboration. So, my call is to congressmen and congresswomen to take action quickly and conclusively with an aid package for Puerto Rico.
Nice link, asshole. Link.
How can they be getting aid when he's calling for Congress to pass an aid package?

How about some further quotes?
Quote:
PATRICIA MAZZEI: We saw a few little grocery stores open up here and there, but they were selling the supplies that they had had since before the storm. No one was getting resupplied.

And people were starting to run out of their own stocks of water and things like that. There was one bakery in the town of Loiza that we went to that would open everyday at 7:00 a.m. and make all the bread it could for the day. And there was a line out the door.

And then, as soon as they ran out, that was it. That was all they had. We even saw in San Juan that at least one hotel where foreign and locals were staying, they didn’t have any more water bottles either. They ran out of plantains, because they were just — there wasn’t new supplies coming in to any of these places yet.

JOHN YANG: Did you see signs of relief aid?

PATRICIA MAZZEI: We saw San Juan starting to get on its feet, because we saw debris removal, big tractors, that sort of thing, on the road, out of the city as well. We didn’t see utility trucks anywhere.

We didn’t see any distributions of food or water. The relief that was present already in the shelters, those folks were trying to get together cots and things like that, but they were putting lists of supplies that they needed together, and it was the bare essentials, toothbrushes, toothpastes, female hygiene products, toilet paper. They were running out of all of it.
Looks like sucking up to Trump doesn't work when your citizens can't vote.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 AM

Guess what Puerto Rico is running out of now? Money.
Quote:
The aftermath of the powerful storm has resulted in a near-total shutdown of the U.S. territory’s economy that could last for weeks and has many people running seriously low on cash and worrying that it will become even harder to survive on this storm-ravaged island.

There are long lines at the banks that are open with reduced hours or the scattered ATMs that are operational amid an islandwide power outage and near total loss of telecommunications. Many people are unable to work or run their businesses because diesel to run generators is in short supply or they can’t spend all day waiting for gas to fill their car.
Quote:
Cruzita Mojica is an employee of the Puerto Rico Treasury Department in San Juan. While she, like many public sector workers, has been called back to work she can’t go because she has to care for her elderly mother in the aftermath of the storm. She got up at 3:30 a.m. Wednesday and went to four ATM machines only to find each one empty.

“Of course I took out money before the hurricane, but it’s gone already,” she said. “We’re without gasoline. Without money. Without food. This is a disaster.”
Quote:
Surgical technician Dilma Gonzalez said she had only $40 left and her job hasn’t called people back to work yet in the capital. “Until they let us know otherwise, I’m not supposed to go back,” she said with a shrug as she pressure washed the street in front of her house, sending muddy debris flying.
Quote:
Antonia Garcia, a retiree who lives in the city of Bayamon, said she was down to her last $4. She spent a day using precious gas to look for an ATM that was in operation because she couldn’t get into her credit union, which was taking only 200 customers a day. “This has become chaotic,” she said.
Quote:
Making matters worse for many consumers is the fact that those food stores that are open, typically on reduced hours, are unable to process credit or bank cards or the local system of welfare payments. The businesses are insisting on cash, even though that is technically illegal.
It was only 12 years ago that I watched in horror as corpses floated in the water that covered New Orleans while my president praised the man in charge of the relief effort, so I'm aghast now at the rank incompetence that GOP Presidents seem to routinely display in the 21st century with regards to the suffering of our fellow Americans due to natural disasters.

What is, or rather what is not happening in Puerto Rico is disgraceful and disgusting; our citizens deserve better.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-28-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Guess what Puerto Rico is running out of now? Money.It was only 12 years ago that I watched in horror as corpses floated in the water that covered New Orleans while my president praised the man in charge of the relief effort, so I'm aghast now at the rank incompetence that GOP Presidents seem to routinely display in the 21st century with regards to the suffering of our fellow Americans due to natural disasters.

What is, or rather what is not happening in Puerto Rico is disgraceful and disgusting; our citizens deserve better.
The difference is that while Bush/Brownie were in over their heads, I think they cared about what happened.

Trump doesn't give a shit about Puerto Rico. They're brown and they can't vote. He probably thinks they're not "real Americans".
He had no problem lifting the Jones Act for Florida and Texas but here he can't because shipping companies don't want it.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 AM

He finally agreed to lift the Jones Act this morning, more than a week after Maria hit Puerto Rico.

https://apnews.com/475dbbe238ac4820a...to-Puerto-Rico

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-28-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
51 stars lay out just fine. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_state
Alternating 8 and 9 rows twists knots in OCD Punoqllads. I much prefer the circular design. It kind of harkens back to the original 13-star design, though its penultimate ring has 15 stars, not 13.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Trump doesn't give a shit about Puerto Rico. They're brown and they can't vote. He probably thinks they're not "real Americans".
He had no problem lifting the Jones Act for Florida and Texas but here he can't because shipping companies don't want it.
The ones in Puerto Rico can't vote, but their family and friends on the mainland sure as hell can. It will be interesting to see how Florida goes the next election.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:00 PM

So John McCain has taken up the call for permanent repeal of the Jones Act

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenJohnMc...89472255025152

Then McCain, along introduced legislation to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from the law.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenJohnMc...58220991225856

This is going to go against the xenophobia and protectionism of Trump and his base, yet it'll be like Charlottesville again if he opposes it. And I'm sure McCain knows that.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Alternating 8 and 9 rows twists knots in OCD Punoqllads. I much prefer the circular design. It kind of harkens back to the original 13-star design, though its penultimate ring has 15 stars, not 13.
I agree - if PR is admitted (and we don't do something sensible like combine the Dakotas into one state), go with the circle.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
So John McCain has taken up the call for permanent repeal of the Jones Act

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenJohnMc...89472255025152

Then McCain, along introduced legislation to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from the law.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenJohnMc...58220991225856

This is going to go against the xenophobia and protectionism of Trump and his base, yet it'll be like Charlottesville again if he opposes it. And I'm sure McCain knows that.
Ah, but the Orange One just waived the Jones Act today, so you gotta give him credit and stuff.

And I'm sure those folks in P.R. can bite the bullet and drink their own spit until the aid arrives.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 PM

Nm

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 09-28-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
And I'm sure those folks in P.R. can bite the bullet and drink their own spit until the aid arrives.
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work (second Law of Thermodynamics or something). You need to drink someone else's spit.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Alternating 8 and 9 rows twists knots in OCD Punoqllads.
It's no worse than out current 50-star pattern alternating 5 and 6.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm genuinely mystified by all the flag talk, here.

If it'd otherwise be bad for the US to have Puerto Rico become a state, I can't imagine we'd even mention stars-on-the-flag challenges; and, if it'd otherwise be really terrific for the US to have Puerto Rico become a state, I figure that odds are we'd talk excitedly about making it happen without caring all that much about a 51st star.

It's only in some odd Venn-diagram overlap that this makes any sense to me: it'd almost have to be the weirdly-specific case that making Puerto Rico a state would otherwise be in the best interests of the United States -- but only if it provides so hilariously small a benefit that the cost of putting a 51st star on the flag means we maybe wouldn't break even; it's that close a call.

Do I have that right? Is that, necessarily, the implied context of the 'stars' issue?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

The mayor of San Juan loses it* (more politely than I would; I'd've blown through my stock of F-bombs) over acting Secretary of Homeland Security's claim that the Puerto Rico hurricane relief efforts are a "good news story".

Quote:
San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz reacted with shock and anger to acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke on Friday, saying Puerto Rico's recovery is "not a good news story."

"This is a 'people are dying' story," she said in disbelief.

"Well maybe from where she's standing it's a good news story," Yulín Cruz told CNN's Alisyn Camerota after she was played the clip on "New Day." "When you're drinking from a creek, it's not a good news story. When you don't have food for a baby, it's not a good news story. When you have to pull people down from buildings -- I'm sorry, that really upsets me and frustrates me."
* Warning: Typical CNN autoplay video with annoying ad lead-in. Also text.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Do I have that right? Is that, necessarily, the implied context of the 'stars' issue?
No, sigh, there's another and far more obvious reason that needs multiple cover stories. It's pretty much the same one that kept Hawaii out for over half a century.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
No, sigh, there's another and far more obvious reason that needs multiple cover stories. It's pretty much the same one that kept Hawaii out for over half a century.
Then why the heck are folks on both sides of this acting like the stars-on-a-flag question is serious business? It seems like so ludicrously implausible a point of contention that I don't see how anybody can advance it with a straight face, or how anybody can reply to it as if it's not meant as a joke.

(And I don't mean that as some kind of pejorative; I mean as a literal joke. If you remember when Steve Martin's opening line upon coming out on stage involved saying "I'm Steve Martin, and I'll be out here in a minute" -- or explaining that the comic couldn't make it tonight, so have a safe ride home -- it's like that: it's structured like something that somebody would normally say in such a situation; but a moment later you catch yourself and note that, while it seemed like a routine thing to say right when you'd expect one, it was of course only ever meant as an are-you-paying-attention goof.)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM

If there's one take away from the last few weeks, it's that Americans get really weird about their flag.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Not enough Puerto Ricans support it, and Congress isn't too crazy about the additional economic burden.
Uh ... How are Puerto Rico's economic problems not ours? It may not be a state, but it's still a territory, Puerto Ricans are legally American citizens, and whatever problems Puerto Rico has are the nation's problems, not just Puerto Rico.

If Puerto Rico's economic problems become as bad as Venezuela's, our nation is going to have a huge problem on its hands.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Puerto Rico is also pretty democratic so the Republicans are not too keen on just giving the Democrats another safe seat.
Nitpick: You should have capitalized "Democratic."
Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 AM

I just watched this excellent John Oliver piece about the Puerto Rican financial crisis. It's an old piece from Spring 2016 and I must admit this was all news to me.

Short version is that Puerto Rico was remade as a tax haven for corporations and wealthy individuals, on the theory that economic growth would compensate for all the tax breaks. It didn't work. Disaster ensued. The devil is in the details, though. Take 20 minutes and watch the piece. At the end you'll be rewarded by Lin-Manuel Miranda ( creator and star of Hamilton ) rapping about the situation.

The link is to a Rolling Stone article about the piece. The video of the episode is at the top of the story.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...risis-20160425
Old 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM

The Trump Administration may be counting on Puerto Rican economic issues being simplified by the deaths of thousands of the island's residents:

Quote:
Already an outbreak of conjunctivitis has infected 300 people in Loiza, a municipality 30 minutes from San Juan by car, according to Mayor Julia Navarro who drove to the capital for help.

... "I'm here because there are still murky waters clogged on my streets and residents have been showing symptoms of Zika, Dengue and conjunctivitis virus," Navarro told The Daily Beast as she walked up the stairs to the Puerto Rican Convention Center, where the government has set up a command center.
"If I didn't come here personally, I wouldn't get any help." she added.

... President of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Puerto Rico, Victor Ramos, said these outbreaks are just the beginning.
"We still see communities were flood water is on their driveways and common playground areas. This has to stop. The second someone comes in contact with flood water, their lives and are in danger." Ramos said adding that floodwater is a mixture of rain and sewage water.

With half of the population short of running water, personal hygiene has declined dramatically, so Ramos anticipates that the island faces outbreaks of deadly cholera, hepatitis A, meningitis, and salmonella.
"Without water supply, residents rely on stocking water to wash their mouth and do the dishes. This water is often stored incorrectly and this gets infected rapidly," Ramos said. ...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/outbrea...ts-amazing-job (published today, 30 September.)

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017