Old 06-21-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Russian troll detected.
Same. Advise President Trump to launch.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
By an incredible and fortuitous coincidence---a complete and utter fluke---we see here demonstrated a major tactic taught to IRA operatives for the defense of the Glorious Leader (and by extension, those who follow his orders).

The basic one-two is executed by two accounts:
  • Compliment the person who's posted criticism of He Who Must Not Be Criticized, and state (or even just imply) that they will lose their good reputation if they keep posting stuff like that; and
  • Rock some straight-up ridicule.

And if that doesn't work, try some open abuse.

For example:

Poster A: Many Americans don't realize how much evidence there is for Putin's having interfered in Spanish elections, promoting a split between the Catalonia region and the rest of Spain.*

Poster B: You've been here a while and have a reputation for being reasonable; do you really want to throw that all away? ---just a word to the wise. I mean, seriously. Putin cares about Spain? Come on.

Poster C: OOOOOHHH BIG BAD VLAD IS EVERYWHERE, OOOOOOOH HE'S IN SPAIN NOW, OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!

Poster D: Poster A, you're a raving loony with a Russia complex. Conspiracy theory much?

Poster A: Thanks for the confirmation of Kremlin activity in Spain--I wasn't sure before, but you just made clear that Putin is willing to pay people to post ridicule of the idea.

...If the abusive responses are unpleasant enough, targets will shy away from the topic---job done!

And, yes: people are paid to post on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram---and on medium-sized message boards---the latter more for the learning of the craft than for influencing the users of the message boards. But, still: they're here--not on a regular basis, perhaps. More of an in-and-out, now-and-then thing. And the paychecks come from a variety of places, certainly not just the Kremlin. We get right-wingers pretending to be left, and non-Americans pretending to be American. We get the same variety of misinformation-purveyors that the big sites get, though fewer and less-frequently, probably.

But they are here on occasion. No matter how ardently and intensively they try to ridicule any mention of the fact, they are here.

*It's a real-life example, of course:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...vote-p6g5nttpm

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/01/11...83_820857.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1DD20Y

Etc.
Just curious, how many minutes of your life did you waste on painting yourself like an idiot with that?
Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Just curious, how many minutes of your life did you waste on painting yourself like an idiot with that?
Aaaaaaawwww did-duuuuumzzzzz......the nowhere-near-as-speculative-as-you'd-moronically-hoped dialogue trigger you?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Larry Borgia has been here since 2000, Ale since 2003. If they are moles, you have to give the Russians a lot of credit for playing the long game .
Any compliments, ridicule or abuse coming from those directions is probably reasonably genuine.
Right----which is why I said their demonstration of actual techniques used by trolls is fortuitous and a fluke.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So Mr. Back to Africa wants to mock people for thinking trolls exist?

And is appears to be his Pit debut, outside of a thread where he defended racist posters--who he definitely doesn't know and hasn't posted here before. Are you not honored, Sherrerd?

Huh, someone who is suspected of being a troll gets an obvious troll in to defend them. Someone whose account was made half a year before they ever posted, even! I wonder why?
(Now that he's gone for a bit, why the fuck are we suddenly mocking people for suspecting Russian trolls? It's been brought up before, and it's perfectly reasonable, and in no way would make us special. And do you really want to be in the company of this shithead?)....
Interesting--that does rather look like a swoop-in on a pre-made account. I gather that viral marketers do more of that (making accounts for future use) than trolls, but it's a useful tool for both. It lends---or is intended to lend---"authenticity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I thought Russian trolling was low effort, mass spammed stuff.
My impression is that it IS mostly low-effort, mass-spammed stuff.

But, as an experiment, post something uncomplimentary about Putin on one of the major social media sites, or a board of size similar to this one. The odds are excellent that you will get a mocking response, and that it will be from an account that is either recent, or not much used until recently.

They DO know how to use Google search (or the relevant equivalent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Do they take the time to type out single posts to single questions that, maybe, a few hundred people will see? (really asking...dunno how they all work...you can save the *whoosh* for another time)
As I've said, my impression is that boards like this are not the object of much in the way of 'we must influence their opinions!!!11!!!!' attention. Instead, it's more a case of using this (and similar boards) as a place to learn how to interact and communicate convincingly. It's not that any particular foreign adversary is even remotely likely to believe that the opinions of Dopers are crucial in the grand scheme of things.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:32 PM

So poster Barack Obama is most likely a dense misguided soul. If his posts were trolling they’d be incredibly ineffective trolling. But the our little message board is unlikely to get the Russians A game I guess!

Now if we were thought leaders then I could see trolling us with a poster or two. After all they invested a whole bunch in Mariia Butina just to have her be an influencer. Maybe the Russians believe we really are as hip as advertised?

It may not be too crazy to believe MB trolls after all. It’s a low investment item. One troll can cover a bunch of sites spreading stories and stirring pots of divisiveness. Again this poster? Tends to unite everyone else in agreement on the worthlessness of the crap he posts. So not an effective troll anyway.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
So poster Barack Obama is most likely a dense misguided soul. If his posts were trolling they’d be incredibly ineffective trolling. But the our little message board is unlikely to get the Russians A game I guess!

Now if we were thought leaders then I could see trolling us with a poster or two. After all they invested a whole bunch in Mariia Butina just to have her be an influencer. Maybe the Russians believe we really are as hip as advertised?

It may not be too crazy to believe MB trolls after all. It’s a low investment item. One troll can cover a bunch of sites spreading stories and stirring pots of divisiveness. Again this poster? Tends to unite everyone else in agreement on the worthlessness of the crap he posts. So not an effective troll anyway.
That all makes sense to me.

I've seen a couple of accounts here written by posters who were pretty effective at stirring people up, and even getting them to argue quite bitterly and personally. The account writers I'm thinking of succeeded at dividing people who would otherwise have been in agreement over various political positions.

That's a skill, if a dark one. I would think that a medium board would be ideal for honing that skill.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

What does the Council say about our new friend Helmut Doork?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

One too many o's.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
One too many o's.
Not ashamed to admit I found that funny.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:

And is appears to be his Pit debut, outside of a thread where he defended racist posters--who he definitely doesn't know and hasn't posted here before. Are you not honored, Sherrerd?

Huh, someone who is suspected of being a troll gets an obvious troll in to defend them. Someone whose account was made half a year before they ever posted, even! I wonder why?
Sorry you think a person is a troll because they find the concept of the leader of Russia personally sending minions to sway the opinions of Americans on a regional message board to be absurd.

I defended no one in the post, I made an observation about delusion of grandeur to think Putin is even aware of this board.

I previously stated multiple times in a thread about Zimmerman that bad people, which he is, can be legally right in a situation, which he was- a thought that went over the heads of most on this board.

I have also defended the right of others to have opinions which are logical yet go against the majority. I noticed the herd/mob mentality on this board immediately- one or two decide who is right usually, and then everyone else agrees and the opposite view, even if sensible, becomes ridiculed.

Some great sleuth noticed I signed up six months before posting? What is that nefarious proof of? I signed up then to ask a single question, had a logging in issue and moved on. Six months later my work blocks my normally visited sites but not this one so there you go, conspiracy solved.

Tinfoil hats can go back on now.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:

[/SIZE]
Wow, at least ten times in that thread until I gave up I made it perfectly clear that at this point, nothing can or should be done for reparations- should have been done when the slaves were alive and able to be personally identified, absolutely, but logistically and timeframe wise, not doable now. Way too late at this point IMO. BTA should be given to anyone who requests it though. What is so offensive or hard to understand about that?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-24-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
... I made an observation about delusion of grandeur to think Putin is even aware of this board.
Why on earth would you assume that Putin is aware of every site visited by the workers at Savushkina 55?

I mean, unless you've been raised to believe that Putin is all-wise and all-knowing or something. I guess if you've been raised to believe that, you might assume he's aware of each and every site.

But people not raised that way would make no such assumption. Workers at Savushkina 55 do their daily searches, and post accordingly. Not really any mystery about it! It's just a job, after all.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Why on earth would you assume that Putin is aware of every site visited by the workers at Savushkina 55?

I mean, unless you've been raised to believe that Putin is all-wise and all-knowing or something. I guess if you've been raised to believe that, you might assume he's aware of each and every site.

But people not raised that way would make no such assumption. Workers at Savushkina 55 do their daily searches, and post accordingly. Not really any mystery about it! It's just a job, after all.
Good points.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-troll-house
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
I defended no one in the post, I made an observation about delusion of grandeur to think Putin is even aware of this board.
He puts his good people on the high-traffic boards. He puts the likes of you on the likes of this one.