Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Yes. New kidney Par-TAY!
Should it hurt?
Congrats, MissTake
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Anti Rant: I have a new kidney. Hurts like madness. But no more dialysis. Six years of waiting.
I've seen your posts over the years about this.

The pain will resolve. And then you'll be able to get on with the rest of your life!

And to whoever donated that kidney: thank you! I'm on the donation list for whatever parts of me can be used after I expire, and I sure wish more people would do that. It's on my driver's license.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I was walking back to the computer room when it started

<chirp>

Nah, I thought, it wasn't THAT long ago we changed them...

<Chirp>

Frack!

<Chirp>

Let's see, there are 3, scroll scroll WHAT, WalMonster doesn't have two packs in the store anymore?

<Chirp>

Let's check the blue box store across the street. They do!

<Chirp>

Schedule Vorlon Jr. to make an appearance tomorrow, who also needs to get a new CO/Smoke detector, since the one at the condo is detecting the shower right now.

<Chirp>

And immediately run into websites coded by monkey's with Tourette's syndrome.
When I say I want to pick up at the store, it doesn't meen ship the flipping thing!

<Chirp>

End result is some stuff is coming from the Jungle, and some from the big blue box folk. Way to go to everybody else, you drove me away from darkening your door.

<Chirp>

It's gonna be a long night

<Chirp>
Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 PM

My stove had been beeping an error code ever since the power came back on. Stupid LG crap. I was advised to unplug it for a minute and plug it back in. Worked, yay!
Now it's back to blinking the time set code. I'm used to it. Done it since day one. Cannot be set. Tried everything. At least it's silent.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My stove had been beeping an error code ever since the power came back on. Stupid LG crap. I was advised to unplug it for a minute and plug it back in. Worked, yay!
Now it's back to blinking the time set code. I'm used to it. Done it since day one. Cannot be set. Tried everything. At least it's silent.
I call that feature the "Power outage detector".

Setting the clocks usually involves finding a teenager....
Old 06-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
I've seen your posts over the years about this.

The pain will resolve. And then you'll be able to get on with the rest of your life!

And to whoever donated that kidney: thank you! I'm on the donation list for whatever parts of me can be used after I expire, and I sure wish more people would do that. It's on my driver's license.
Like more people than you realize, I cannot donate any body parts. I've had one pre-cancerous thingy and one tiny definite malignancy so absolutely nobody can use any of my body parts. Not even corneas as I have a weird cornea defect.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Anti Rant: I have a new kidney. Hurts like madness. But no more dialysis. Six years of waiting.
Better keep us posted. There are dads here who'd love to get the chance to ask "How that kidney bean?"
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
GOOD!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
(((slalexan)))
I'm guessing this is symbolic of a hug. I concur with that sentiment.

But triple parentheses can be interpreted as bigotry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

Maybe this is pointless mansplaining on my part. If it's peevish, I apologize.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Hooray! *throws confetti*
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
I'm guessing this is symbolic of a hug.
Yes, we use it both with () and with {}.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:

(((lobo!)))

Now you feel conflicted, but see, all the peevishness got hugged out of you!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Husbands CC hacked again! Within two weeks,$13,000 of airfare, hotels, travel clubs, Comcast..WTF. Of course the CC reversed charges. No problem. Gotta watch it like a hawk.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I have no advice, just a heartfelt "Congrats!" Moving on to other employment, retirement, or Pseudo-retirement*?

Just collected my last full paycheck (retiring teacher, about to teach one last summer class) but I checked and it's all there!

*I'll probably do the pseudo-retirement thing. Done working full time, but I'll teach a class here and there, freelance, maybe get a mindless p/t job... for travelin' money.
Thanks. Travelin' is what I'll be doing for the next couple of years. Try to hit as many National Parks/Monuments, roadside attractions etc as I can.

Last edited by blondebear; 06-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congratulations! That is amazing news.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, LG. When I moved into this house about 8 or 9 years ago (who can keep track?) I bought an LG washer and dryer set, the washer being a fancy front-loader which I think is the only kind they make. The washer started making horrible noises on the spin cycle a few years ago -- not just after the warranty ran out, which is the usual story -- but just after the unpublicized "special secret extended warranty period" that they don't tell you about ran out. The problem turned out to be the main bearing which is a HUGE issue requiring the whole machine to be taken completely apart and an expensive part replaced. At first LG said they'd fix it for a flat fee of something like $150, then the next rep I talked to said no, the time period for that support had expired by just a few months, sorry, fuck you.

Anyway I now have a Maytag conventional though high-efficiency top-loader that works great and cleans better, and I bought it from a place that hauls away your old crap on a one-for-one basis, so the LG washer is long gone. The LG dryer more or less still works but the moisture-sensing shutoff doesn't seem to be particularly reliable. I've had it with fucking oriental appliances from fucking Korea. Love both of my Sony TVs, though, but I've always liked Sony, and it's not from fucking Korea. My smartphone is Samsung, though (not my choice, freebie from the carrier) and I fear it may burst into flames.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM

I dont want the Internet of Things. I just want my stuff to work. Old school stuff, now being junked, is going to go for top dollar sometime. Got a cheap "connected" lightbulb when I was gifted Aexa....oh boy, that was annoying. Never got it to talk to the internet, it was busy playing dead! I think I gave up when I realized I had to pay for an account....ugg...one lightbulb.
And smart appliances? Like our Whirlpool washer? Yes they have a fault code, so you can replace 300 bucks worth of modules, motors, switches, plus 300 in labor, and have it still keep popping codes......... only for me(unauthorized repairman) to find it was a corroding grounding screw, anchored at the BOTTOM frame, where everything collects, splashes and soaps etc, (and a leakyhose) instead of the TOP, where its nice and dry.
WD-40 and a tooth brush cleaning fixed that up.
And our 5k GE freezer, that never ever thawed its drain hole, always iced up. Many talks with reps later, we said the heck with it, turned it over and drilled a big drain hole ourselves. Works find now.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Husbands CC hacked again! Within two weeks,$13,000 of airfare, hotels, travel clubs, Comcast..WTF. Of course the CC reversed charges. No problem. Gotta watch it like a hawk.
I’m thankful that this has never happened to me, but also curious. Presumably, the CC (and by extension, the airline tix) are associated with his name. Does this potentially place his name of any airlines’ lists of problematic ticket buyers?
Old 06-23-2019, 06:12 PM

I bought a fancy schmancy French door refridge. Worst appliance I ever paid $3thousand for. I was sick of replacing fridges. It completely stopped working within 3 months. The service man came took one look and said I'm bringing a new one. 3 days later he came with a new one. I've had it 2 years. Guys been here half a dozen times for defrosting problems and once the ice maker quit. It's ridiculous.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Colonoscopy prep day. Need I say more?

Do gin and tonics count as "clear liquids"?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Yay new kidney! \(^o^)/

Quote:
I bought a fancy schmancy French door refridge.
What brand? I have a Kenmore side-by-side that's been chugging along for 12 years; the ice dispenser/crusher died years ago, but the ice maker still works (after a bit of work unclogging a frozen tube). I've tracked down the motor, but I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into an old appliance. My mother hates the thing because the two compartments are so narrow...in fact, she hates it so much that she got a small, cheap fridge to keep in the garage just to have what she deems to be sufficient storage space.

I also have a Samsung washer that was part of the "exploding washer" recall. I've yet to have the issue addressed, since I read so many complaints about an associated firmware update pretty much ruining the washer's ability to sufficiently clean the laundry. I'm very careful about what I wash though.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 06-23-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Yay new kidney! \(^o^)/

What brand? I have a Kenmore side-by-side that's been chugging along for 12 years; the ice dispenser/crusher died years ago, but the ice maker still works (after a bit of work unclogging a frozen tube). I've tracked down the motor, but I'm not sure how much effort I want to put into an old appliance. My mother hates the thing because the two compartments are so narrow...in fact, she hates it so much that she got a small, cheap fridge to keep in the garage just to have what she deems to be sufficient storage space.

I also have a Samsung washer that was part of the "exploding washer" recall. I've yet to have the issue addressed, since I read so many complaints about an associated firmware update pretty much ruining the washer's ability to sufficiently clean the laundry. I'm very careful about what I wash though.
LG. I will never buy another appliance by them. Crap, all of it. My old Kenmore with a freezer on top, we moved it to the garage. I just knew it was running on its last legs 2 or 3 fridges ago. It's still chugging along. I keep water bottles and Mr.Wrekkers beer in it. It keeps them colder. I think it's at least 10 years old.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I just wanted to respond to this part about you having to pay for it all. You don't. It falls to her school district to pay for a lot of it. A wise investment you can make right now is an educational advocate or a special ed attorney who will represent your child (with you) in meetings with the school district and get her all the services she needs and is entitled to receive.

Good luck. Please feel to PM if you ever want to talk or vent.
Thank you for the offer. As it was explained to me, she won't get services through the summer because she doesn't qualify for summer school. In order to qualify for summer school, she has to have a "demonstrated need" which means we have to show that not going to summer school hampers her learning. However, it seems really stupid to just wait for her to get worse when she's made so much progress. I don't want to lose it. She's already not communicating as well as she did when she was in preschool. So we are planning on getting private speach and occupational therapy to bridge the gap in the summer. That is, if we can afford it. The whole thing is maddening, though.

As for hiring an advocate, you are the second person to recommend that. I suppose that means I really do need to look into it.

Quote:
Congratulations! I wish you a speedy recovery.

My boss at work is burning his candle at both ends. I think he's actually cut it into six pieces and is burning all six at both ends. He's doing basically three jobs and right now is a STRESSFUL time. I'm getting real tired of being told, constantly, to do more with less. At some point, we can't do any more with it.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Great to hear, MissTake!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, MissTake. Hope you feel well soon.

Quote:

I had never heard of that. The article says it started in 2014 on some sites. My first urge is to ignore it and wait for it to go away, like other fads. It's sort of like their co-opting of the OK sign and other things.

I'm going to keep doing it here, where it's an established convention (hugs), but may not use it other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Colonoscopy prep day. Need I say more?

Do gin and tonics count as "clear liquids"?
((((Shoeless)))) Okay, I added a set to distinguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Grrr. My computer at work apparently spent last night sending out emails with a link to a malware site. IT thinks they have it fixed, although the fix was "change your password". . . .
Ongoing effect - my email address had been quarantined by IT. They are working with a cybersecurity contractor to . . . they don't say what. They also don't know when I'll have email again. The kicker is that while on quarantine, people who send me email do not get a message saying that there was no delivery. This is going to kick my work in the butt.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
I was walking back to the computer room when it started

<chirp> . . .

<Chirp>

Frack!

<Chirp> . . .
Could be worse. This YouTube guitarist moved into a new place that had a beep that seemed to be coming from everywhere. He rented eight microphones and used them with his sound mixing software to trace the location, while videoing the process. The location was suitably surprising.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 PM

It must be the month for appliances.

I bought a Kenmore dishwasher from Sears back around '85 and it gave me flawless performance until early 2016. So call it 30 years and change. Then it died. Hard.

I researched and purchased an Electrolux, I have a post somewhere wondering why the hell it was delivered to Wisconsin or some other state that's not Arkansas, but that's irrelevant to this post. The online reviews of it started going to crap about 2 months after I bought it.

It occasionally cleaned well, but now it's just moving water around so I'm in the market for another dishwasher after only 3 years.

Anyone need a slightly used dishwasher? Delivered via orbital bombardment.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 PM

I guess it's still true that nothing sucks like an Electrolux.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 PM

And I am home. Thank heavens.
Thank you for all the hugs and well wishes. I’ve complained enough over these past six years. Now I can look ahead.
Trying to drink two liters of water a day has been hellish. To go from 32oz to two liters? I’m peeing every five minutes.

Boo to stupid “fancy” appliances and cc scammers!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 PM

MissTake, I’m not a prolific poster but I’ve read your story over the last few years. I am SO happy for you, and I hope you heal fast and well (if you don’t float away first ) Congrats and hooray and it’s about goddamned time!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LG. I will never buy another appliance by them. Crap, all of it. My old Kenmore with a freezer on top, we moved it to the garage. I just knew it was running on its last legs 2 or 3 fridges ago. It's still chugging along. I keep water bottles and Mr.Wrekkers beer in it. It keeps them colder. I think it's at least 10 years old.
I have a small fridge I bought when I rented my first house over 40 years ago. It's currently sitting in the laundry room full of soft drinks, extra milk, etc. It needs to have the freezer defrosted every year or so, but has never been serviced and still keeps everything cold.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 AM

Fuck diverticulitis. Fuck fistulas. Fuck bladder spasms. Fuck collapsing in the kitchen. And Double-fuck the U.S. Healthcare Industry which jacks prices up so much it acts as a deterrent to healthcare.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
That is fantastic news - congratulations!!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
Fuck diverticulitis. Fuck fistulas. Fuck bladder spasms. Fuck collapsing in the kitchen. And Double-fuck the U.S. Healthcare Industry which jacks prices up so much it acts as a deterrent to healthcare.
I say 'fuck it' right along with you. This health care thing is beginning to bring me down.
Sorry about your gut. Feel better soon!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Hallmark (TM) should use that.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I say 'fuck it' right along with you. This health care thing is beginning to bring me down.
Thanks. I know I'll need surgery at some point. But I'm trying to put it off as long as I can. If I can just hold off until we join the rest of the world in providing affordable healthcare, I'll be golden.

-Marcel Marceau
Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Congrats, MisTake! Hope the pain subsides soon.

You are my future. My kidneys are functioning at less than 50% and going downhill. I'm trying to save them through diet, but it's only a matter of time. My nephrologist tells me it's at least 10 years till they'll be able to print me a new one with a 3D printer, or create a new one from my stem cells. I don't think I have that long.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Hallmark (TM) should use that.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Congrats, MisTake! Hope the pain subsides soon.

You are my future. My kidneys are functioning at less than 50% and going downhill. I'm trying to save them through diet, but it's only a matter of time. My nephrologist tells me it's at least 10 years till they'll be able to print me a new one with a 3D printer, or create a new one from my stem cells. I don't think I have that long.

You might make it--I was talking to someone one chair over while in dialysis last week and I learned she had been getting her oil changed 3 times a week for 40 years...
Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Good news, Missy. I hope you recover quickly.

An update on the Ameriprise situation. It turned out that there were no other forms to send in, the form that the customer representative insisted that I send in was completely inappropriate for the situation. And the good news is that the beneficiary for the account appears to be correct, so even though I really want to have nothing to do with this company, the money will stay there for now. I will have them confirm the beneficiary in writing though.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Forgive me. I know this is so self-indulgent and I really am trying to just... get a better attitude and deal with it and move on. And irl, in person, I'm somewhat more successful at trying to put on an optimistic face. But I'm so, so low tonight and really have nobody to talk to.
We're going on four months now since my brain glitched out. In the beginning, I kept scheduling things for a week out thinking I had to be better by then. There was snow on the ground when this started. Four months.
They've replaced me at work. I still get to do some of the media, so I still have... half a job. I understand. Of course they had to. But that job really means a lot to me and I had kind of been working on the idea that I might be back at it any day now, but...

And it feels like the universe is telling me, bit by bit, that I'm not needed anymore. In ways that will sound really absurd if I list them out but... there are just so many little things that seemed like, six months ago, they couldn't keep on without me... or at least that I made things easier or better in some way. I was wall-to-wall in demand. But now, I mean... it feels like if I disappeared, it would barely register. I'm not usually big on superstition or signs from the cosmos, but it just feels like every little thing is pointing that way.

I don't even know who I am anymore. Like all the good parts are gone. Like it's not enough that I can't do anything I even sort of enjoyed anymore... I can't even be what I always tried to be. The parts of myself I liked and worked hard on are just disintegrating. How can I be reliable, generous, and hardworking? How can I be solidly competent and always willing to lend a hand? I have barely enough strength and energy to get out of bed, much less go the extra mile.

And all the little practical things feel like they're crumbling around my ears. My house is such a disaster at this point. My car, too. Everything is just slipping out of control little by little with the occasional big jump any time I feel like I might begin to catch up.

So I guess that's it. A huge part of my identity and practically everything I felt that I could control about myself and make good and productive and useful is just gone. I'm just gone. I am not, at this point, adding anything positive at all to anyone's life. Nor does it seem like that's likely to change in the near future.

I got my handicap parking hang tags this week, too. Temporary, but they expire just before Christmas. God, I thought for sure I'd be back on my feet in like... two, three weeks max. I know this in no way actually means I won't be better before Christmas, but it no longer seems like a given. I don't understand how anyone lives like this permanently. Hats off to them- they must be stronger people than I.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
Forgive me. I know this is so self-indulgent and I really am trying to just... get a better attitude and deal with it and move on. And irl, in person, I'm somewhat more successful at trying to put on an optimistic face. But I'm so, so low tonight and really have nobody to talk to.
We're going on four months now since my brain glitched out. In the beginning, I kept scheduling things for a week out thinking I had to be better by then. There was snow on the ground when this started. Four months.
They've replaced me at work. I still get to do some of the media, so I still have... half a job. I understand. Of course they had to. But that job really means a lot to me and I had kind of been working on the idea that I might be back at it any day now, but...

And it feels like the universe is telling me, bit by bit, that I'm not needed anymore. In ways that will sound really absurd if I list them out but... there are just so many little things that seemed like, six months ago, they couldn't keep on without me... or at least that I made things easier or better in some way. I was wall-to-wall in demand. But now, I mean... it feels like if I disappeared, it would barely register. I'm not usually big on superstition or signs from the cosmos, but it just feels like every little thing is pointing that way.

I don't even know who I am anymore. Like all the good parts are gone. Like it's not enough that I can't do anything I even sort of enjoyed anymore... I can't even be what I always tried to be. The parts of myself I liked and worked hard on are just disintegrating. How can I be reliable, generous, and hardworking? How can I be solidly competent and always willing to lend a hand? I have barely enough strength and energy to get out of bed, much less go the extra mile.

And all the little practical things feel like they're crumbling around my ears. My house is such a disaster at this point. My car, too. Everything is just slipping out of control little by little with the occasional big jump any time I feel like I might begin to catch up.

So I guess that's it. A huge part of my identity and practically everything I felt that I could control about myself and make good and productive and useful is just gone. I'm just gone. I am not, at this point, adding anything positive at all to anyone's life. Nor does it seem like that's likely to change in the near future.

I got my handicap parking hang tags this week, too. Temporary, but they expire just before Christmas. God, I thought for sure I'd be back on my feet in like... two, three weeks max. I know this in no way actually means I won't be better before Christmas, but it no longer seems like a given. I don't understand how anyone lives like this permanently. Hats off to them- they must be stronger people than I.
I'm gonna try to give you alittle advice. I'm no
expert in anything. But, I have lived with a disease that will kill me since I was a baby. I'm 3 days from dying everyday. I learned long ago not to make long range plans. Just live today, not yesterday or tomorrow. You're wasting time doing that. Stop lamenting what was or what could be. It must be hard for someone to do that. Especially someone like yourself who was so successful in their career. Live one day at a time. If that's too much break the day up in parts.
Today my glucose monitor has been chirping. My numbers are allover the place. I spent all afternoon trying get things right. I can be bothered that yesterday was a good day or tomorrow will be bad, or good, or horrible. I'll probably be going to my doctor tomorrow. Probably. I may die in my sleep. I don't worry about it, either way.
I'm so sorry you're suffering. I wish you had a diagnosis and a treatment plan. It is imperative that you get that. If I were you that would be my only concern.
Dorothy, I hope you find some peace and relief soon. I'm thinking of you. Hugs and kisses.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-26-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
(((lobo!)))

Now you feel conflicted, but see, all the peevishness got hugged out of you!
That's funny, lobo doesn't look Jewish...

In recognition of the fact that the above bit of levity COULD be interpreted as offensive, I preemptively offer a sincere "I'm sorry" to any who feel compelled to interpret it that way.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
But I'm so, so low tonight and really have nobody to talk to.
<snip>
And it feels like the universe is telling me, bit by bit, that I'm not needed anymore.
Well, this portion of the universe needs you very much! I don't post much, but I had to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts and would miss you if you weren't here.

The beauty of a message board is that you can talk to us at any time. The downside is the replies sometimes take a while.

So bookmark this post and come back to it the next time you feel low.

(({((SurrenderDorothy))}))
Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 PM

Journalism is dead, part 15

A-Rod Whiffs at Auction as Basquiat Fetches Less Than Expected

Quote:
Alex Rodriguez failed to turn a double play Thursday when one of two paintings from his collection went unsold at auction and the other came in below expectations.
2 meaningless baseball references.

Well aren't you clever.

In the middle of article about selling art, you add this nonsense:
Quote:
Rodriguez retired after the 2016 season with a career batting average of .295 with the Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers and New York Yankees, where he won a World Series. He hit 696 home runs, fourth all-time, and drove in 2,086 runs over a 22-year career marred by steroid use.
You left out his shoe size and his pet name for his testicles.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
You left out his shoe size and his pet name for his testicles.
Heckle and Jeckle?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Sometimes, when I just wanted something on TV in the background I'd turn on MTV Classic, because that was the channel that actually showed videos.

So, of course, for the past two days it appears they've been running a marathon of some stupid reality TV show from the mid-2000s, ad the guide shows it will continue for the forseeable future.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Look, Google, I no longer care that every website on the planet has ads and for some odd reason some of the services I'm using won't work with ad blockers running. Really, I don't care about that. Get your freak on; advertise away. But quit covering at least half of the content with your bloody splash screen ads. It's not like you don't know that those ads do that; you specifically have "ad covered content" in your "report this ad"/"why this ad sucks" "function".
Old 06-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I will agree that the "double play" reference above makes zero sense.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was wall-to-wall in demand. But now, I mean... it feels like if I disappeared, it would barely register.
SurrenderDorothy, I am so, so sorry. I'm also someone who always has a packed schedule, always people wanting my time and effort, always feeling like I'm keeping all the balls in the air for my entire team. Not being able to any longer... would destroy me. You're not crazy for feeling that way. You're not weird for mourning that loss.

It may help to think of it like one of those career-ending sports injuries. Some athlete is at the top of their game, in high demand, getting all the kudos, and the knee ligaments blow out and it's over. It's super sad, and a loss to both them and to every person who has watched them excel. But in the end, it just means that this highly skilled person needs to figure out a new thing to do with themselves. Maybe it's coaching, maybe it's Etsy, maybe they decide to go into C++ programming. People get knocked out of their professions every day, and it doesn't change how valuable you are as a human.