Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
If only I had a use for an extra testicle.

Yeah, some came to his defense, but overwhelmingly the defense was, "Cite, motherfucker?" In other words, people were asked to provide evidence for their claims.

Perhaps that sounds familiar to you.
If the OP was titled "proof Rep. Omar committed fraud", you would be correct. But it said only that new evidence was cited in yesterday's MST article. The article linked to has a decent case that at least something weird, possibly illegal happened, and her response is basically, yeah its complicated, no ones business, not talking about it. We balk at Trump hiding things, would have rioted if Obama had not proven birth.
  #152  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
Since Sage Rat used the word "evidence" first, claiming for it a definition I don't much care for, I will herewith summarize the actual documents involved in support of today's Washington Examiner article

Traffic tickets: These are all of the-what-some-have-grandiosely-called "police records." They prove, almost conclusively, that the Hennemin County cops targeted Muslims something fierce. After the congresswoman married Mr. Elmi, Mr. Hirsi racked up 16 tickets (2 for speeding, the rest for things like "parking for over an hour in a congested area") in 24 months. This demonstrates beyond a doubt that Hirsi...did not, upon his separation, immediately run down to the DMV to register a change of address. You know who else acted that way? Me, during my separation. Of course, I had good reasons. I was hoping for a reconciliation (wait: I guess Mr. Hirsi was too). We still had kids at home and I was there a lot, even after my ex remarried (gee: so did Hirsi and the congresswoman). And I had other expenses and wasn't too fond of the DMV (Hmm). Of course, I'd have gotten that little errand done tout suite if I'd had any reason to want to protect some scheme, as in a sham marriage or some such. The congresswoman got two tickets too, for running a stop sign and an illegal right turn. Wouldn't want to withhold a damning fact like that. Oh, there's one more ticket here.

Marriage Application/Business License: (This is subject to revision, because I'm accepting what the St. Louis Post- Dispatch said about the B.L., but haven't seen it).Lumping these together because they're the other two documents where an address is shared. The Washington Examiner whiffs on this one by saying that it was the congresswoman's and Mr. Elmi's address: you need to put an address on a marriage certificate, but it need not be your residence, nor the one where you intend to live. In fact, given that the B.L. application was for a cafe/lounge, the building may not have been a residence at all. If it was, when the congresswoman divorced Mr. Hirsi, she may have moved there, and then Mr. Hirsi decided to open a business there, and gave up their old residence. Timeline fits that perfectly.

Divorce application/eviction notice: Supposedly the fact that he may have been in MN when the congresswoman filed for divorce saying she didn't know where she was is incriminating. Oh, please. Mr. Elmi left, and went to ground, leaving the congresswoman with the impression he was going to the U.K., which, apparently, he eventually did. Hard to tell exactly: you can pay your rent in advance, and you can sublet, licitly or not, an apartment from someone who is leaving the country. This is even less meaningful than the other meaningless stuff.

Mr. Elmi's application for citizenship: Oops. There apparently isn't one. These people are just terrible at immigration scams.

Documents suggesting Mr. Elmi is the congresswoman's brother: None. All of the nonsense blown up around a bunch of traffic tickets is entirely in the service of this one slur.
The Washington Examiner noted that local media reports also cast doubt on Omar and Hirsi breaking up. One of the most serious allegations against Omar is that she lied under the penalty of perjury during divorce proceedings that she did not know where Elmi was and had not contacted him since their divorce in 2011.

The Washington Examiner added:

She also said that she had no means of contacting him, and the district court judge wrote in the divorce decree that Elmi “has not signed a declaration of non-paternity as [Omar] has had no contact with him since before the child was conceived.” Thus the court granted her request to serve Elmi with divorce papers “by alternate means.” Once a week, for three weeks in a row during August and September of 2017, Omar published public summons to Elmi in a local newspaper, Finance and Commerce.

Contradicting this claim are images from Elmi’s social media account published by a Minnesota web outlet called Alpha News, which show Elmi with Ilwad on her day of birth.

The Daily Caller News Foundation reported:

[Omar] also claimed that her attempts to find [Elmi] include unsuccessfully searching on social media — but he has been on Twitter since 2012 and Facebook since 2007 and is also on LinkedIn and other platforms.

Lying on a sworn form is perjury and each charge carries five years in prison, according to Minnesota law. Questions have been raised about the accuracy of approximately six statements on the sworn form.
  #153  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
If the OP was titled "proof Rep. Omar committed fraud", you would be correct. But it said only that new evidence was cited in yesterday's MST article.
...Left Hand of Dorkness wasn't responding to your OP. They were responding to the post of yours that they quoted.
  #154  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 538
Obama was hiding NOTHING. he ponied up his Hawaii bc to prove it.

Trump IS hiding something, which is why he will NEVER willingly show his tax returns.

Rep. Omar could clear this up greatly by showing HERS- she refuses, but insists Trump show his?

Final lasting point on this thread- we can be liberal, and love the idea of a Rep. Omar, a young female African immigrant, and still believe after reading the data that she may have committed a crime here, without impugning the character of all people like her, and without being thick, racist or misogynist. AOC is awesome and completely above reproach.
  #155  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:38 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Obama was hiding NOTHING. he ponied up his Hawaii bc to prove it.

Trump IS hiding something, which is why he will NEVER willingly show his tax returns.

Rep. Omar could clear this up greatly by showing HERS- she refuses, but insists Trump show his?

Final lasting point on this thread- we can be liberal, and love the idea of a Rep. Omar, a young female African immigrant, and still believe after reading the data that she may have committed a crime here, without impugning the character of all people like her, and without being thick, racist or misogynist. AOC is awesome and completely above reproach.
Omar has already corrected and paid fines for the issues with her tax returns, as quoted by your cite. Did YOU even read anything beyond the first sentence? Because your continued insistence that "now there's something" in light of the nothingburger of an article says otherwise.
  #156  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 AM
Chisquirrel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
The Washington Examiner noted that local media reports also cast doubt on Omar and Hirsi breaking up. One of the most serious allegations against Omar is that she lied under the penalty of perjury during divorce proceedings that she did not know where Elmi was and had not contacted him since their divorce in 2011.

The Washington Examiner added:

She also said that she had no means of contacting him, and the district court judge wrote in the divorce decree that Elmi “has not signed a declaration of non-paternity as [Omar] has had no contact with him since before the child was conceived.” Thus the court granted her request to serve Elmi with divorce papers “by alternate means.” Once a week, for three weeks in a row during August and September of 2017, Omar published public summons to Elmi in a local newspaper, Finance and Commerce.

Contradicting this claim are images from Elmi’s social media account published by a Minnesota web outlet called Alpha News, which show Elmi with Ilwad on her day of birth.

The Daily Caller News Foundation reported:

[Omar] also claimed that her attempts to find [Elmi] include unsuccessfully searching on social media — but he has been on Twitter since 2012 and Facebook since 2007 and is also on LinkedIn and other platforms.

Lying on a sworn form is perjury and each charge carries five years in prison, according to Minnesota law. Questions have been raised about the accuracy of approximately six statements on the sworn form.
So we've pivoted from marrying her brother for immigration purposes and something something to lying. The spins, they hurt!
  #157  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:54 AM
The King of Soup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,381
Helmut, you have the bad habit, admittedly essential to your argument, of name-checking a news source and then not providing links to your citations, or using quotation marks so someone can tell where, say, the Washington Examiner stops and you and the lunatic right-wing commentary begin. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
The Washington Examiner noted that local media reports also cast doubt on Omar and Hirsi breaking up.
Like that, see? The WE article I cited (and provided a link to) didn't say anything resembling that, and if it had such second-hand journalism would be worthless. I assume the digression about allegations of perjury is all you, since the WE would care that there are none from any reputable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
The Washington Examiner added:

She also said that she had no means of contacting him, and the district court judge wrote in the divorce decree that Elmi “has not signed a declaration of non-paternity as [Omar] has had no contact with him since before the child was conceived.” Thus the court granted her request to serve Elmi with divorce papers “by alternate means.” Once a week, for three weeks in a row during August and September of 2017, Omar published public summons to Elmi in a local newspaper, Finance and Commerce.
Again, the article I cited and linked to says no such thing, but this seems about right pending another look at the divorce documents. Note however, that the claim she's making makes the divorce a much longer and more difficult process than simply having him served, which, like the divorce itself, serves no purpose in any narrative the lunatics are offering. Up to this point in your post, you got zip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Contradicting this claim are images from Elmi’s social media account published by a Minnesota web outlet called Alpha News, which show Elmi with Ilwad on her day of birth.
So you dump the reputable source. This certainly did not come from the WE. Unless they lost their minds: Alpha News is emphatically not a reputable news source, or even a source of news. So don't bother waiting around for them to produce the photo, if they do, it will be worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
The Daily Caller News Foundation reported:
Again, I don't care that you don't provide cites or links for worthless sources. But seriously, this claim is stupid no matter its provenance. This Mr. Elmi, not another one, is on Twitter? And that's supposed to prove congresswoman Omar knew it, and knew his location with enough specificity to have him served? It doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Questions have been raised about the accuracy of approximately six statements on the sworn form.
Yup, raised in bad faith by bigoted morons who admit they can't count with exactitude to six. Bad faith, because there's no slur in this mess that even makes sense connected with the other slurs. It's just an excuse to keep the slurs going.
  #158  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,890
Obama did not need to "pony up" anything. It was already well-established factually that the man was born in the state of Hawaii, thus being a citizen of the United States at birth. The only bleating contrary to that well-established fact came from proponents of a racist whacked-out nut-job conspiracy theory. Oh, and the head whacked-out nut-job pushing that "theory"? Well, he's the president now.

Speaking of Trump, that clown repeatedly promised to show his tax returns only to hedge and dodge when it came time to do so.
  #159  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:15 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
Traffic tickets: These are all of the-what-some-have-grandiosely-called "police records." They prove, almost conclusively, that the Hennemin County cops targeted Muslims something fierce. After the congresswoman married Mr. Elmi, Mr. Hirsi racked up 16 tickets (2 for speeding, the rest for things like "parking for over an hour in a congested area") in 24 months. This demonstrates beyond a doubt that Hirsi...did not, upon his separation, immediately run down to the DMV to register a change of address. You know who else acted that way? Me, during my separation. Of course, I had good reasons. I was hoping for a reconciliation (wait: I guess Mr. Hirsi was too). We still had kids at home and I was there a lot, even after my ex remarried (gee: so did Hirsi and the congresswoman). And I had other expenses and wasn't too fond of the DMV (Hmm). Of course, I'd have gotten that little errand done tout suite if I'd had any reason to want to protect some scheme, as in a sham marriage or some such. The congresswoman got two tickets too, for running a stop sign and an illegal right turn. Wouldn't want to withhold a damning fact like that. Oh, there's one more ticket here.
Fair point. It is plausible and in fact almost certain that Hirsi didn't change his address on his driver's license, given the 2009 business license.

Quote:
Marriage Application/Business License: (This is subject to revision, because I'm accepting what the St. Louis Post- Dispatch said about the B.L., but haven't seen it).Lumping these together because they're the other two documents where an address is shared. The Washington Examiner whiffs on this one by saying that it was the congresswoman's and Mr. Elmi's address: you need to put an address on a marriage certificate, but it need not be your residence, nor the one where you intend to live. In fact, given that the B.L. application was for a cafe/lounge, the building may not have been a residence at all. If it was, when the congresswoman divorced Mr. Hirsi, she may have moved there, and then Mr. Hirsi decided to open a business there, and gave up their old residence. Timeline fits that perfectly.
Here is the business license:

https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/B...6-001ec94ffe7f

The home address for Hirsi is the same on the business license as the home address for Omar/Elmi on the marriage license:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4144...een&from_embed

The marriage application is in February and the business license is given in May. Hirsi seems to think that he still lived with Omar, 3 months after she married another man.

Elmi's address changes to living in Eden Prairie by September of that same year.

Unrelated to the previous, but apparently Omar's sister started a new website called Grit Partners Consulting. It was created in January of this year:

https://www.godaddy.com/whois/result...QgyF4Iu0eJDZCl

Here is a portion of the HTML in the top page of the website:

Quote:
<script data-name="static-context">Static = window.Static || {}; Static.SQUARESPACE_CONTEXT = {"facebookAppId":"314192535267336","rollups":{"squarespace-announcement-bar":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/announcement-bar-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/announcement-bar-61839fc43475c7867cd4-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-audio-player":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/audio-player-a57b8f3aa31918104f57a068648fbc63-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/audio-player-71f8c842e465cd0a8a31-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-blog-collection-list":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/blog-collection-list-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/blog-collection-list-9356b28997c8e2a56e4a-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-calendar-block-renderer":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/calendar-block-renderer-a0cc7f57176bc63d87bc9f4149fada5a-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/calendar-block-renderer-a6afc658b00e657a560b-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-chartjs-helpers":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/chartjs-helpers-9935a41d63cf08ca108505d288c1712e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/chartjs-helpers-a6bf360e5cc8aa1f852a-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-comments":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/comments-1637eb4ee93bed59528921026e024bf4-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/comments-057fea2c786b61266962-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-commerce-cart":{"js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/commerce-cart-4225b892b75e9ba75d24-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-dialog":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/dialog-dcd502a8a4d9cfdf0ea1dc1c4761a2e9-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/dialog-fc5ab7dca25b08e9c41e-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-events-collection":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/events-collection-a0cc7f57176bc63d87bc9f4149fada5a-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/events-collection-9627127f92121b157c36-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-form-rendering-utils":{"js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/form-rendering-utils-1290b5f598797feee7b0-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-forms":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/forms-6f75db26ac5a6772b018268d7fb910ca-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/forms-11531e16364fdf0796b7-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-gallery-collection-list":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/gallery-collection-list-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/gallery-collection-list-f898cbcd6385df3d5ed1-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-image-zoom":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/image-zoom-72b0ab7796582588032aa6472e2e2f14-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/image-zoom-c54695cae89a51cea334-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-pinterest":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/pinterest-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/pinterest-574920f10db84d25f898-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-popup-overlay":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/popup-overlay-62c9ec33d6124f4e3c04b78ce135a63e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/popup-overlay-8f2bbeb66c964f97e72d-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-product-quick-view":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/product-quick-view-2573bf4ff7704c95ef4221f794e6b6b5-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/product-quick-view-34a449736a52e0b86aa8-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-products-collection-item-v2":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/products-collection-item-v2-72b0ab7796582588032aa6472e2e2f14-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/products-collection-item-v2-b3dee6ad06f5f96005a0-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-products-collection-list-v2":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/products-collection-list-v2-72b0ab7796582588032aa6472e2e2f14-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/products-collection-list-v2-3824b794cb06f5172b9f-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-search-page":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/search-page-ea3e98edb84abbc5e758884f69149027-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/search-page-35edb151f7d6d9e74087-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-search-preview":{"js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/search-preview-5a987c2a4cf5778412ae-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-share-buttons":{"js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/share-buttons-1c1d1a29c180dc26b3ba-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-simple-liking":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/simple-liking-9ef41bf7ba753d65ec1acf18e093b88a-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/simple-liking-6348f99bee1c320af00e-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-social-buttons":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/social-buttons-bf7788a87c794b73afd9d5c49f72f4f3-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/social-buttons-ab11d0b3908f4bc87f90-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-tourdates":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/tourdates-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/tourdates-4aa5473dcfde09e886c6-min.en-US.js"},"squarespace-website-overlays-manager":{"css":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/styles-compressed/website-overlays-manager-68df56a8135961401cbd590171d6b04a-min.css","js":"//assets.squarespace.com/universal/scripts-compressed/website-overlays-manager-f6cd4c1095fa26b0295c-min.en-US.js"}},"pageType":2,"website":{"id":"5c37212d506fbed8cef6600a","identifier":"gecko-salmon-eyf7","websiteType":1,"contentModifiedOn":1560155574630,"cloneable":false,"siteStatus":{},"language" :"en-US","timeZone":"Africa/Nairobi","machineTimeZoneOffset":10800000,"timeZoneOffset":10800000,"timeZoneAbbr":"EAT","siteTitle" :"Grit Partners ","fullSiteTitle":"About \u2014 Grit Partners \u2014 Health and leadership consultancy","siteTagLine":"","siteDescription":"","logoImageId":"5c3f442ecd8366be4a30f063","socialL ogoImageId":"5c385296f950b7d56671ac0d","shareButtonOptions":{"4":true,"2":true,"7":true,"1":true,"6" :true},"logoImageUrl":"//static1.squarespace.com/static/5c37212d506fbed8cef6600a/t/5c3f442ecd8366be4a30f063/1560155574630/","socialLogoImageUrl":"//static1.squarespace.com/static/5c37212d506fbed8cef6600a/t/5c385296f950b7d56671ac0d/1560155574630/","authenticUrl":"https://www.gritpartnersconsulting.com","internalUrl":"https://gecko-salmon-eyf7.squarespace.com","baseUrl":"https://www.gritpartnersconsulting.com","primaryDomain":"www.gritpartnersconsulting.com","sslSetting":3,"isH stsEnabled":false,"socialAccounts":[{"serviceId":4,"userId":"1085092040059293697","userName":"Grit_Partners","screenname":"Grit Partners International","addedOn":1547713687109,"profileUrl":"https://twitter.com/Grit_Partners","iconUrl":"http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1085094708332949509/4rWvuVP6_normal.jpg","collectionId":"5c403c975417fc579a5bf31b","iconEnabled":true,"serviceName":"twi tter"},{"serviceId":10,"userId":"21002958","userName":"ahmednelmi","screenname":"Ahmed Elmi","addedOn":1547713793873,"profileUrl":"http://instagram.com/gritpartnersinternational","iconUrl":"https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/vp/e7221d4d31ff3928d1433abeb5bfbfe8/5CC8342D/t51.2885-19/s150x150/20394063_545146432483190_268280390500745216_a.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com","collectionId":" 5c403d01d274cb51623b4a33","iconEnabled":true,"serviceName":"instagram"}],"typekitId":"","statsMigrated":false,"imageMetadataProcessingEnabled":false,"screenshotId":"d5baf19 5ab3b36569312c50c8bcfb279064501b47675aa3f33186e7c210e1085","showOwnerLogin":false},"websiteSettings" :{"id":"5c37212d506fbed8cef6600c","websiteId":"5c37212d506fbed8cef6600a","subjects":[],"country":"KE","state":"30","simpleLikingEnabled":true,"mobileInfoBarSettings":{"isContactEmailEnab led":false,"isContactPhoneNumberEnabled":false,"isLocationEnabled":false,"isBusinessHoursEnabled":fa lse},"commentLikesAllowed":true,"commentAnonAllowed":true,"commentThreaded":true,"commentApprovalReq uired":false,"commentAvatarsOn":true,"commentSortType":2,"commentFlagThreshold":0,"commentFlagsAllow ed":true,"commentEnableByDefault":false,"commentDisableAfterDaysDefault":0,"disqusShortname":"","com mentsEnabled":true,"storeSettings":{"returnPolicy":null,"termsOfService":null,"privacyPolicy":null," paymentSettings":{},"expressCheckout":false,"continueShoppingLinkUrl":"/","useLightCart":false,"showNoteField":false,"shippingCountryDefaultValue":"US","billToShippingDefau ltValue":false,"showShippingPhoneNumber":true,"isShippingPhoneRequired":false,"showBillingPhoneNumbe r":true,"isBillingPhoneRequired":false,"currenciesSupported":["CHF","HKD","MXN","EUR","DKK","USD","CAD","MYR","NOK","THB","AUD","SGD","ILS","PLN","GBP","CZK","SEK ","NZD","PHP","RUB"],"defaultCurrency":"USD","selectedCurrency":"USD","measurementStandard":1,"showCustomCheckoutForm":f alse,"enableMailingListOptInByDefault":false,"sameAsRetailLocation":false,"merchandisingSettings":{" scarcityEnabledOnProductItems":false,"scarcityEnabledOnProductBlocks":false,"scarcityMessageType":"D EFAULT_SCARCITY_MESSAGE","scarcityThreshold":10,"multipleQuantityAllowedForServices":true,"restockNo tificationsEnabled":false,"relatedProductsEnabled":false},"isLive":false,"multipleQuantityAllowedFor Services":true},"useEscapeKeyToLogin":true,"ssBadgeType":1,"ssBadgePosition":4,"ssBadgeVisibility":1 ,"ssBadgeDevices":1,"pinterestOverlayOptions":{"mode":"enabled_for_blogs","size":"large","shape":"re ct","color":"white"},"ampEnabled":false},"cookieSettings":{"isCookieBannerEnabled":false,"isRestrict iveCookiePolicyEnabled":false,"isRestrictiveCookiePolicyAbsolute":false,"cookieBannerText":"","cooki eBannerTheme":"","cookieBannerVariant":"","cookieBannerPosition":"","cookieBannerCtaVariant":"","coo kieBannerCtaText":""},"websiteCloneable":false,"collection":{"title":"Who we are","id":"5c37236d1ae6cf63226175cf","fullUrl":"/whoweare","type":10},"subscribed":false,"appDomain":"squarespace.com","templateTweakable":true,"twea kJSON":{"align-alternate-caption-to-image":"false","aspect-ratio":"2:3 Standard (Vertical)","auto-color-banner-background":"false","auto-color-index-item-bg":"false","banner-height":"Small","banner-image-alignment":"Center","banner-image-crop":"true","collapse-landscape-spacing":"true","full-bleed-banner":"true","full-bleed-index":"true","full-bleed-project":"true","gallery-arrow-style":"Rectangular","gallery-aspect-ratio":"1:1 Square","gallery-auto-crop":"false","gallery-autoplay":"false","gallery-design":"Grid","gallery-info-overlay":"Always Show","gallery-loop":"false","gallery-navigation":"Thumbnails","gallery-show-arrows":"true","gallery-transitions":"Fade","galleryArrowBackground":"rgba(34,34,34,1)","galleryArrowColor":"rgba(255,255,25 5,1)","galleryAutoplaySpeed":"3","galleryCircleColor":"rgba(255,255,255,1)","galleryInfoBackground": "rgba(0, 0, 0,0.7)","galleryThumbnailSize":"192px","gridSize":"400px","gridSpacing":"40px","index-item-alternate-sides":"false","index-item-alternate-widths":"true","index-item-category-background":"false","index-item-height":"Small","index-item-image-alignment":"Center","index-item-image-crop":"true","index-item-title-background":"false","index-item-title-display":"On Scroll","index-item-width":"Full","indexItemWidth":"4","indexItemsPerRow":"3","mobileItemsPerRow":"2","project-image-alignment":"Center","project-image-landscape-caption-style":"Offset","project-image-portrait-caption-style":"Alternate","project-left-image-landscape-caption-style":"Standard","project-left-image-portrait-caption-style":"Standard","project-right-image-landscape-caption-style":"Standard","project-right-image-portrait-caption-style":"Standard","tabletItemsPerRow":"2","thumbnailRatio":"150","tweak-blog-list-columns":"4","tweak-blog-list-item-image-aspect-ratio-grid":"2:3 Standard (Vertical)","tweak-blog-list-item-image-aspect-ratio-stacked":"3:4 Three-Four (Vertical)","tweak-blog-list-item-image-show":"true","tweak-blog-list-spacing":"36px","tweak-blog-list-style":"Stacked","tweak-mobile-bar-position":"Standard","tweak-mobile-bar-site-tagline-position":"Hide","tweak-page-transition-animation":"true","tweak-product-item-image-zoom-factor":"2.5","tweak-product-list-item-hover-behavior":"Fade","tweak-product-list-items-per-row":"2","tweak-project-slide-transition":"true","tweak-site-ajax-loading-enable":"true"},"templateId":"55dccafee4b04b8e0d7b6d4d","pageFeatures":[1,2,4],"gmRenderKey":"QUl6YVN5Q0JUUk9xNkx1dkZfSUUxcjQ2LVQ0QWVUU1YtMGQ3bXk4","betaFeatureFlags":["SITE_USER_SERVICE-read-users-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-read-users-from-service-by-email","SITE_USER_SERVICE-update-users-last-shipping-address","SITE_USER_SERVICE-update-users-last-billing-address","SITE_USER_SERVICE-read-users-from-service-by-accountid","SITE_USER_SERVICE-update-users-name","SITE_USER_SERVICE-add-address-book-entry-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-update-address-book-entry-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-update-accountid-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-delete-address-book-entry-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-delete-note-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-add-note-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-read-note-by-site-user-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-clear-shopping-cart-from-service","SITE_USER_SERVICE-set-shopping-cart-id-from-service","ORDERS-SERVICE-check-digital-good-access-with-service","ORDERS-SERVICE-reset-digital-goods-access-with-service","ORDERS-SERVICE-submit-order-through-service","dg_downloads_from_fastly","product-retriever-v2-enabled","domain_locking_via_registrar_service","image_editor_experimental_features","domain_deletio n_via_registrar_service","domain_info_via_registrar_service","domain_renewal_via_registrar_service", "add_new_page_alt","image_picker"],"impersonatedSession":false,"tzData":{"zones":[[180,null,"EAT",null]],"rules":{}}};</script>
The timestamp listed next to the same instagram handle as London Elmi converts to Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:29:53.873 AM.
  #160  
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,239
I think my favorite part of this white knight thread was that the original thread was really to discuss whether Omar had cheated on her taxes by filing a joint married return with someone who may not have been her husband. Even Mr. DOOOOORK missed the point of the original thread.
  #161  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Like this entire thread pretty much? An OP possibly impugns the character of a person apparently beloved by the board, so we will ignore facts, wont read the thread, wont read the linked articles, wont comment on the two or three sensible, thought out posts that support the OP, just call the person a racist troll and there, I don't have to think or do any self analysis? The mass psychology here is often rather frightening.
Welcome to the SDMB!

Regards,
Shodan
  #162  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 49,804
You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?
  #163  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Mr. Miskatonic's Avatar
Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?
Subtle. I like it.
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #164  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM
The King of Soup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Fair point. It is plausible and in fact almost certain that Hirsi didn't change his address on his driver's license, given the 2009 business license.
So we're done talking about "police reports." Good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Here is the business license:

https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/B...6-001ec94ffe7f

The home address for Hirsi is the same on the business license as the home address for Omar/Elmi on the marriage license:

https://www.scribd.com/document/4144...een&from_embed
Again, this is not true. None of the documents involved specify that it is anyone's home address. However, if it were, it would show that (1) Mr. Hirsi owned or leased the property; (2) the congresswoman moved there after divorcing Mr. Hirsi; and (3) Mr. Hirsi decided he would rather live and open a second business there (you didn't miss the fact that his other business was only a couple blocks away, did you?) and ceded what had been his and the congresswoman's home back to the congresswoman so she could move in with her new husband. Besides, Mr. Hirsi and the congresswoman had two young children: it would have been awkward, but hardly shocking, if the five of them did share an address for a time, and it certainly doesn't support any of the accusations you're parroting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Elmi's address changes to living in Eden Prairie by September of that same year.
Oh, shame on you, Rat. You promised you understood about making assumptions based on the address on a driver's license. But where do you pull this crap from? Mr. Elmi's traffic ticket.But again, you studied just hard enough to get it backwards.

Suppose you, a recently divorced Muslim woman, want to get married again, and it suits your custom or desire or convenience to hold the wedding at home. But it'd be kind of rude, wouldn't it, to have the ceremony at either of your ex-husbands properties (nod if you understand).

So maybe at the home of a friend or relative or someone hospitable that your husband is staying with until your marriage, or one of their friends and neighbors. Where was the ceremony held? Oh look, Eden Prairie. Congratulations, Rat: further proof (that noone needed) that people are slow to change their addresses at the DMV. At this point I'd say you were arguing in bad faith if...it were necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Unrelated to the previous,
You got that right. Shall I point out how right?

Thanks for the wall of gibberish. Let's chat about this.

First up, because I suspect you'll come back to this, a presence on social media does not give your wife anything useful to a process server, and neither does designing a website from abroad. Second, because why let people get away with this kind of sloppiness, a printed name doesn't confer identity. I have an unusual name, and I've met two other people who have it. Or, as another example, how about the congresswoman's sister? There are at least three prominent Sarah Noors in the U.S. alone, and who knows how many others. In addition to the founder of Grit Partners, there is an actress, and a doctor at Sloan-Kettering. Wow, I keep running into the most admirable people on one side of this story. But on the other, it just keeps getting stupider.

The source here is the Daily Caller, which, as noted above, not reliable and with a history of lying and misleading about Democrats in particular (that's from the source you used to praise the Washington Examiner by the way). But that's not the worst, most obvious proof of bad faith on the whole right-wing side of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
...apparently Omar's sister started a new website called Grit Partners Consulting. It was created in January of this year:
And here it is. you are repeating the accusation that the congresswoman lied, for reasons nobody can articulate, in a May 2017 divorce complaint by saying she couldn't have her husband served (again, thus making it harder for her to obtain the divorce), and the proof is that someone with two of her husband's names designed a website, from abroad, TWO YEARS LATER AND A YEAR AFTER THE DIVORCE WAS FINAL. You sap: shrivel up and go away.

And, as if anyone were still reading, this is how the smear machine works: right-wing bigots with no reputation to lose make up a story, right-wing bigots with a reputation to lose carefully print stories that are factual but journalistically pointless except to mention those elements that do not prove, but exist in, the original lie, and right-wing bigots who are stupid or acting in bad faith or both, conflate the two and repeat it over and over and over. The point is not to make sense, it's just to repeat the slander.

Alpha News says Santa Claus. Daily Caller picks it up. Post-Dispatch and Washington Examiner print stories saying chimneys exist and some people eat cookies. Internet trolls say See?!!!! And don't stop.

Last edited by The King of Soup; 06-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.
  #165  
Old 06-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,210
What I want to know is when Ilhan Omar became "beloved by the board," and why I wasn't notified.

(Is there already such a thing as a "sweetening the well" fallacy, or did our devotee of Shodan invent it?)
  #166  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
Again, this is not true. None of the documents involved specify that it is anyone's home address.
You mean other than the text, "Home Address"?

I'm willing to go through a prosecution/defendant process on the evidence, but not if you're unwilling to be honest. Do I need to screenshot the documents and circle in red the words "home address"?
  #167  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,479
*Grumble* Ignore that last (sorry, I just woke up). Yes it does not literally say "home address" but...I mean come on. Deciding that a couple of college students would put down some arbitrary non-home address smacks pretty strongly of denialism. And we're still not even to the point where we're talking about setting up photo shoots and using photoshop to set up hospital scenes and create counterfeit hospital wrist bands. If you're already going to be getting into denialist territory at this point, this isn't a worthwhile discussion.
  #168  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If you're already going to be getting into denialist territory at this point, this isn't a worthwhile discussion.
If you don't mind, can you give me the elevator pitch for this... scandal... or whatever it is? I'm a bit behind the curve on this whole thing, because there's a lot of "she married her brother" and "she lied about something or other" and "here's a photo with a hospital bracelet!" I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be denying ever happened, or what I'm supposed to be outraged about from a politician I never heard of before a month ago.
  #169  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 49,804
I'm mostly, and only mildly, curious why Putin would choose a non-candidate to send his Web trolls after, unless it's just for training on a small board.
  #170  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Mr. Miskatonic's Avatar
Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I'm mostly, and only mildly, curious why Putin would choose a non-candidate to send his Web trolls after, unless it's just for training on a small board.
Putin has used his trolls to promote anti-vaxxer nonsense. The idea is to enrage and divide people as much as possible, not just to attack candidates.
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #171  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM
The King of Soup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
*Grumble* Ignore that last (sorry, I just woke up). Yes it does not literally say "home address"...
Belated honesty when caught out earns no points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
... but...I mean come on.
Pleading for the benefit of the doubt. Remember what I told you about obvious bad faith? That's why you don't get it. If you did, it wouldn't matter because, again, you just don't read, or pretend not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
None of the documents involved specify that it is anyone's home address. However, if it were, it would show that (1) Mr. Hirsi owned or leased the property; (2) the congresswoman moved there after divorcing Mr. Hirsi; and (3) Mr. Hirsi decided he would rather live and open a second business there (you didn't miss the fact that his other business was only a couple blocks away, did you?) and ceded what had been his and the congresswoman's home back to the congresswoman so she could move in with her new husband. Besides, Mr. Hirsi and the congresswoman had two young children: it would have been awkward, but hardly shocking, if the five of them did share an address for a time, and it certainly doesn't support any of the accusations you're parroting.
(bolding added this time).

I haven't denied the existence of any of these documents-just noted that you're claiming they prove something they don't, and hoping no one checks. There's that bad faith again. Anyway, now onto the garbage no reputable outlet will touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
And we're still not even to the point where we're talking about setting up photo shoots and using photoshop to set up hospital scenes and create counterfeit hospital wrist bands.
It's only because this is all you have left, and I like to be neat, that I bother with this sewage. Link to these photographs and wristbands, source them, tell me how they mean anybody did anything even mildly naughty, and I'll dispose of them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
...this isn't a worthwhile discussion.
Debunking incoherent bigoted lies is always worthwhile. Don't be too hard on yourself: if you didn't supply the lies, I couldn't supply the debunking.
  #172  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?
Oh sure - now with the slut shaming.

Help, help! I'm being oppressed!

Did you see that? Did you see him oppressing me?

Regards,
Shodan
  #173  
Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I'm mostly, and only mildly, curious why Putin would choose a non-candidate to send his Web trolls after, unless it's just for training on a small board.

I cant go into the process as I was exposed as a Russian troll in another thread and am now moving to Vladivostok- being moved, actually. My handlers are very disappointed after years of training I was only able to make around 300 posts before being outed- a dubious record of sorts, I am told. As punishment, I will spend the next two years in a windowless shed manning the mommy blogs and Ugly Betty fanfiction sites, with only a thin borscht and gallons of cologne for sustinance.

I risk the gulag for even returning for this post, but did want to know, so I can avoid that error in the future, if someone could let me know what the 'tell' was that outed me? I mean, surely it would not be possible to post almost 300 times in a second language, (one where I have never had a conversation with a native speaker), and fool all the bright people here even for a minute- I must have accidentally slipped in a nyet somewhere, or perhaps referred to the USSR as CCCP? I mean Im not dumb, I know the basics- theyre posted on all the bare walls of my sector- don’t post too often in threads about beets, don’t list Yakov Smirnoff as one the ten best stand-ups, don’t start threads about which after shave tastes the best, those things- but surely there was something I missed?

The others warned me, don’t post on the SMDB, they are too smart there, you will be outed and will compromise the entire mission for gods sake, go to the Akron Beacon Journal like you were told- but I got cocky I guess.
  #174  
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut doork View Post
if someone could let me know what the 'tell' was that outed me?
глупый тролль
  #175  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
And the bit about the original GD thread claimed incest? The moat egregious lie in this thread. Not a single hint of a mention of incest in the GD thread.
Just pointing out, in case you are genuinely confused about this: an incestuous marriage by definition is one "contracted between persons related to a prohibited degree". A marriage between such close relatives is called incestuous whether or not the contracting parties actually have a sexual relationship.

So yes, Shodan's thread highlighting rumors that Omar married her brother was deliberately bringing up the allegation that Omar had made an incestuous marriage. AFAICT, Shodan did not allege that Omar had a sexual relationship with her brother, nor did BigT claim that he did. Shodan "claimed the incest argument" in the sense that he encouraged the (so far completely unsupported) rumor of Omar's incestuous marriage. (And of course, the main propaganda reason for starting rumors about incestuous marriages is to horrify and repel the many people who naturally jump to the conclusion that such marriages involve incestuous sex.)
  #176  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Helmut Doork is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 538
in·cest
[ˈinˌsest]

NOUN
sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.
the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.
  #177  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,339
Incestuous marriage

Definition
Quote:
An unlawful marriage between two persons who are closely related either by blood, known as consanguinity, or by marriage, known as affinity.
In other words, two closely related people who marry are participants in an incestuous marriage whether or not they are committing incest per se, i.e., engaged in incestuous sexual activity.

Huh. I guess you really were confused about that.
  #178  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 12,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
What I want to know is when Ilhan Omar became "beloved by the board," and why I wasn't notified
Pretty sure they meant Omar Little.

Last edited by Omar Little; 06-25-2019 at 04:42 PM.
  #179  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Pretty sure they meant Omar Little.
Well, as long as you're here, I hope you'll clear up all these rumours about you marrying your brother.
  #180  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Huge chasm between a liberal newspaper posting an article simply mentioning that some fringe people on the right are questioning Obama's citizenship, and same paper sending reporters to actively try to prove the birth certificate provided is fake.
Cite that the newspaper is liberal?
  #181  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 PM
carrps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
глупый тролль
Gosh, it's been nearly 50 years since I studied Russian, and I can understand that. Maybe I'm not senile ... yet.
  #182  
Old 06-28-2019, 10:24 PM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Like this entire thread pretty much? An OP possibly impugns the character of a person apparently beloved by the board, so we will ignore facts, wont read the thread, wont read the linked articles, wont comment on the two or three sensible, thought out posts that support the OP, just call the person a racist troll and there, I don't have to think or do any self analysis? The mass psychology here is often rather frightening.
I did read the article in your OP, although I strongly suspect that you yourself didn't read much past the headline before posting here.
Honestly, I kept wondering right to the end of the article when they were going to reveal the shocking new evidence.

Seems to me your thesis is that people will change their opinion about a claim depending on the source. Which, I mean, . . . yeah, DAH!
Except most responses you've gotten here aren't indicating any kind of unquestioning acceptance of your "Liberal" source.

Why on earth do you think they owe Shodan an apology?
Even if, for fthe sake of argument, Ilham Omar were to come out herself and admit "Yeah, I shacked up with my brother and cheated on my taxes," why would anyone owe Shodan an apology?

I mean, this guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Help, help! I'm being oppressed!
  #183  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,156
I have had no knowledge of or interest in this issue and the past thread that this references but this much is clear: the OP operates from a misconception that a "liberal" newspaper publishing something without any supporting evidence would make something be perceived as "reasonable"

And while it is true that some sources are held to be less reliable than others, no source's just repeating a rumor without evidence (as "possibly") makes the rumor more or less "reasonable".
  #184  
Old 06-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 80,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
"I said someone was a horrible person for saying X, it turns out in light of new evidence they may be correct or were correct, therefore I apologize with the same vigor as my initial insult."
If I said someone was a horrible person for saying A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, and X and then it turned out in light of new evidence that it's possible that they were correct about L, it wouldn't change my opinion that they're a horrible person overall. My apology would be more along the lines of "Hey, it turns out this guy might not have been as wrong as he typically is."

Last edited by Little Nemo; 06-28-2019 at 11:30 PM.
  #185  
Old 06-29-2019, 06:37 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Huge chasm between a liberal newspaper posting an article simply mentioning that some fringe people on the right are questioning Obama's citizenship, and same paper sending reporters to actively try to prove the birth certificate provided is fake.


Yeah, one of those papers is practicing journalism and the other is repeating unfounded slander.

fringe loonies believe stupid things. That isn’t news to be reported.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #186  
Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 AM
DrFidelius's Avatar
DrFidelius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 12,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I have had no knowledge of or interest in this issue and the past thread that this references but this much is clear: the OP operates from a misconception that a "liberal" newspaper publishing something without any supporting evidence would make something be perceived as "reasonable"



And while it is true that some sources are held to be less reliable than others, no source's just repeating a rumor without evidence (as "possibly") makes the rumor more or less "reasonable".
It is another example of projection.
When the Conservative propaganda source says something that automatically becomes goodthink. They presume that their opponent reacts the same to "liberal" sources.
__________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
  #187  
Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 AM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Gosh, it's been nearly 50 years since I studied Russian, and I can understand that. Maybe I'm not senile ... yet.
I can ask where the library is at, and introduce my friend, Boris Sokoloff.
__________________
Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
  #188  
Old 07-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Soup View Post
I haven't denied the existence of any of these documents-just noted that you're claiming they prove something they don't, and hoping no one checks.
Sure, it does not prove that they had that particular address. But likewise, if I go to your house, knock on your door, and you come out answering, that's not proof that a human being lives at that house nor that he is you - it could all just be a holographic projection by an alien.

So yes, I made the perverse and completely unreasonable assumption that a person, when asked for their address, would put down their home address. You didn't do that. You correctly gleaned that it would be insanity to believe that a person, asked for their address, would put down...someplace that is not the place that they live.

I wish to gain your powers. Do you mind elucidating your logic?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-18-2019 at 06:15 PM.
  #189  
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM
Not Carlson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,182
Shit, I was expecting something of substance whe I saw this thread had been bumped.
You're clearly very smart, and never at a loss for words.
But when you've got nothing, the former doesn't necessitate the latter.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017