Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Well, how else can it be read, given the facts as we know them?

I'm not going to twist their words, but I'm not going to be 'charitable' to the Trumpies by letting them skate past the nasty implications of their words.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I think the Tweet from whoever was commenting on Pompeo's statement is a minor misrepresentation, but then you added more confusion on top of that tweet. I think that pretty clearly amounts to twisting someone's words.

Especially because it's pretty hard to believe that John Bolton, Pompeo and others would be okay with North Korea disarming it's "attack Los Angeles" nuclear weapons but keeping its "this nuke is only for use on Tokyo, we pinky-swear" weapons.

And also note that the basis of the question was about the U.S., and only the U.S., giving security guarantees to North Korea. Even the questioner -- whomever it was -- doesn't seem to give a fuck about Seoul and Tokyo.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I think the Tweet from whoever was commenting on Pompeo's statement is a minor misrepresentation, but then you added more confusion on top of that tweet. I think that pretty clearly amounts to twisting someone's words.

Especially because it's pretty hard to believe that John Bolton, Pompeo and others would be okay with North Korea disarming it's "attack Los Angeles" nuclear weapons but keeping its "this nuke is only for use on Tokyo, we pinky-swear" weapons.
It's not the nuclear weapons themselves, it's the missiles that deliver them - and presumably we could come up with an agreement that allowed us to verify that they didn't have anything that could hit a target 3000 miles away.

As long as NK has any nukes, they'd be able to drop them on nearby targets. Tokyo is less than 800 miles away.

1) We're NOT going to get NK to give up its nukes.

2) From what Pompeo said, we ARE going to try to make sure he can't drop one on the U.S.

3) Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it's hard for me to see how we keep NK from having short-range missiles.

The only new datum is #2. And sure, if we're satisfied with ensuring that NK can't lob a nuke to our side of the Pacific, Kim would probably be willing to give that up in return for being able to meet with the U.S. President, one-on-one, and whatever he can wangle out of Trump in that meeting.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Cool variation on the "riddle inside an enigma" quote. You've managed to pile inference on top of speculation on top of conjecture... and blamed it all on those dumb Trump bastards!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
If Donald doesn't drop to his knees on greeting Kim, he'll exceed my expectations.
He's already broken out the kneepads for Xi Jinping, lest China pull the plug on his chance to sit at the head of the big-boy table:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Orange
President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 PM

Let's face it: liberals are scared that Trump might...win.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Absolutely. He won once. He could do it again.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm more scared that the inexperienced statesman whose MO has been bullshit, fraud, and lying for decades is going to cock something up badly.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Win lots of jobs in China? Hokay; if he achieves his #1 priority, so be it....
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
He's already broken out the kneepads for Xi Jinping, lest China pull the plug on his chance to sit at the head of the big-boy table:
One suspects he has other reasons for suddenly declaring that he's going to use the US Commerce Department to bring jobs back to a Chinese firm that is only losing jobs because it's banned from using US parts after violating sanctions by selling US products to Iran and North Korea.

Trump is "winning", in the sense that he is personally making a lot of money while screwing over America and Americans in a dozen different ways. I think that's a reasonable thing to worry about.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
One suspects he has other reasons for suddenly declaring that he's going to use the US Commerce Department to bring jobs back to a Chinese firm that is only losing jobs because it's banned from using US parts after violating sanctions by selling US products to Iran and North Korea.

Trump is "winning", in the sense that he is personally making a lot of money while screwing over America and Americans in a dozen different ways. I think that's a reasonable thing to worry about.
How the fuck is this legal?!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
How the fuck is this legal?!
Everything's "legal" if the people who enforce the law are fine with what you're doing. In this case the people who would enforce the emoluments issue are Congress. Guess how many fucks they give right now.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Only a dozen?
Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

North Korea is having its annual pout regarding joint U.S. / South Korea military exercises. Only, this time, in response to the exercises, they're cancelled talks which were supposed to happen with South Korea this week, and they're threatening to cancel the Kim / Trump summit over it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.22e5d02fcfe8
Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 PM

I think the talks will happen -- too much has been invested, talked about for them not to happen. At this point, Kim actually has more to lose than Trump by scuttling the talks. I wonder if he's testing to see the reaction among South Koreans, to see whether his reaction will be supported by the average Korean in Dongdaemun.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Just in:
A statement from the First Vice Prime-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Kim Kye Gwam.

Essentially, he's saying that due to recent remarks by Bolton and others, the summit is in doubt.

A little more from the ABC.

Last edited by galen ubal; 05-15-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
At this point, Kim actually has more to lose than Trump by scuttling the talks.
Oh, I don't think that's true at all. Mr. Kim has very, very little to lose if he cancels the talks. In fact, it will make him appear to be "in charge" and strengthen his position at home and with China. It will force SK and the US to ask (read that as "beg") politely that he come back to the table, which will give him 'face'.

The alternative is that the US gets belligerent, which again works in his favor politically.

Or he gets ignored by the US and carries on with SK and China with renewed and elevated status.

The Kims have been playing this game for 3 generations now; they're good at it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-15-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
BREAKING: KCNA says North Korea will "reconsider" summit with Trump if U.S. insists on it giving up nuclear program, says it will never give up its nuclear program in exchange for economic trade with the United States
From lots of places.
What I think is happening, is that Kim is seeing if Trump will go to the table without NK committing to denuclearization. If yes, Kim gains face, goes to the table and gets some relief on sanctions or whatever - which agreement he then abrogates once it's convenient to do so. If no, he'll say that NK tried to negotiate, but the US asked for too much up front. Win/win for Kim, and very familiar.

Last edited by galen ubal; 05-15-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, they played Trump like a chump. His primary negotiating tactic is to give away the farm while getting nothing in return.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 PM

I also posted this in another thread, regarding the letter from 1st vice-minister of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK Kim Kye Gwan:

I think this part is important:
Quote:
It is a ridiculous comedy to see that the Trump administration, claiming to take a different road from the previous administrations, still clings to the outdated policy on the DPRK - a policy pursued by previous administrations at the time when the DPRK was at the stage of nuclear development.
(bolding mine)

The DPRK expects to be treated as equals: they have nuclear weapons. This goes along with how I interpret Mr. Kim's sudden willingness to talk: he has nukes; he can no longer be treated as a "lesser" leader.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Oh, I don't think that's true at all. Mr. Kim has very, very little to lose if he cancels the talks. In fact, it will make him appear to be "in charge" and strengthen his position at home and with China. It will force SK and the US to ask (read that as "beg") politely that he come back to the table, which will give him 'face'.

The alternative is that the US gets belligerent, which again works in his favor politically.

Or he gets ignored by the US and carries on with SK and China with renewed and elevated status.

The Kims have been playing this game for 3 generations now; they're good at it.
I think Kim might not need the meeting in June, but I think the meeting at some point in the near future would benefit Kim far more than it would benefit Trump. I see the meeting itself as a trap for Trump. Sure, in the initial aftermath, Trump stands to be validated as a competent, albeit unconventional and downright erratic, leader on the world stage. But a meeting validates Kim as well, and this is important to remember. It makes him look reasonable and rational, and less totalitarian. That's something he can exploit in the near term. If he meets with Kim and then Kim backs out of his agreement - which is highly likely - then in the longer term, he makes Trump look like a dope, which makes Trump weaker domestically. And if he can charm East Asia in the process, then he could make Trump look like a warmongering, bully dope internationally the next time Trump threatens fire and fury.

The key is what Trump's administration (which includes John Bolton) can walk away with. If they can lower expectations and tolerate a nuclear-tipped North Korea with a verifiably limited arsenal sufficient for self defense but not much else, then maybe there's no more crisis. But if they can't accept that, then I think Trump is setting himself up to get played, and embarrassingly so.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm no NK expert, but I find it impossible to believe that NK would agree to denuclearize. Well, unless China gave them an ultimatum to do so, and I don't see that happening. If a precondition of the talks is that they result in denuclearization, the only way I can see Kim agreeing is that he wants the meeting badly enough that he's willing to set it up and have it fail. Which might be exactly what he wants so he can blame on the US.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM

It seems to me that a belief that NK would ever give up its nukes is delusional. If that is a precondition for talks, then talks will never happen. If that is a non-negotiable treaty requirement, then the treaty will never be signed. If there are lesser deals that can be reached without NK giving up its nukes, then that is well and good. All this talk about denuclearization, demilitarization, and reunification is for the moment just pie in the sky. Baby steps first, but the toddler-in-chief is incapable of understanding that. He thinks this will get him the Nobel Prize but that isn't in the cards.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
It seems to me that a belief that NK would ever give up its nukes is delusional. If that is a precondition for talks, then talks will never happen. If that is a non-negotiable treaty requirement, then the treaty will never be signed. If there are lesser deals that can be reached without NK giving up its nukes, then that is well and good. All this talk about denuclearization, demilitarization, and reunification is for the moment just pie in the sky. Baby steps first, but the toddler-in-chief is incapable of understanding that. He thinks this will get him the Nobel Prize but that isn't in the cards.
I don't see them giving up nukes either. At most, we may get some sort of limit to how many nukes, what types of nukes, and what sorts of numbers of delivery systems for the nukes.

But no nukes? Not gonna happen.

Just look at Libya after giving up nukes. Not so great. Look at Iraq, they tried to get nukes, but failed, then were invaded. Iran is being bullied around because of its lack of nukes, and we'll probably be at war with them before too long.

If you don't have nukes, yu aren't taken seriously. Kim isn't too stupid to see that.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the talks will happen -- too much has been invested, talked about for them not to happen.
Unless they don't happen, in which case Trump will Tweet that the talks were never a big deal and his followers will go around denying anyone ever said otherwise.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I'm no NK expert, but I find it impossible to believe that NK would agree to denuclearize. Well, unless China gave them an ultimatum to do so, and I don't see that happening.
I'll go one step further and say I doubt Kim would give up his nukes even in the face of a Chinese ultimatum. North Korea's nuclear weapons represent as much an insurance policy against Beijing as it does against Seoul and Washington. I think Kim's more likely to be overthrown by a Chinese-backed coup than by an American military attack.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 PM

Well it looks like Kim Jong Un's upset over some comments made by John Bolton -- who knew his hire could make international negotiations so complicated?

Trump might like Bolton's balls but pretty soon, it's going to dawn on him that Mr. "I like to be unpredictable" has hired a very predictable GWB holdover who earned a reputation as a neoconservative foreign policy goon. He's going to complicate Trump's foreign policy 'winning' -- bigly.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'll go one step further and say I doubt Kim would give up his nukes even in the face of a Chinese ultimatum. North Korea's nuclear weapons represent as much an insurance policy against Beijing as it does against Seoul and Washington. I think Kim's more likely to be overthrown by a Chinese-backed coup than by an American military attack.
I agree with your last point (about a Chinese backed coup) which is why I think Kim might very well bend to a Chinese ultimatum. about nukes.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-17-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

I could only see a Chinese-backed coup if the Chinese truly worried about Kim's mental health, though I'm sure that China would probably not hesitate to use some muscle on North Korea if they continue to amass a more menacing nuclear stockpile.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm rather pleasantly surprised with the progress Trump has made on the North Korean front. This appears, at least to me, to be the most significant progress towards denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula that has made in the last couple of decades. Am I missing something here, or is this good news?
Trump's warning to Kim Jong-un: make a deal or suffer same fate as Gaddafi
Quote:
Donald Trump has threatened Kim Jong-un with the same fate as Muammar Gaddafi if the North Korean leader “doesn’t make a deal” on his nuclear weapons programme.

The US president issued the threat at t he White House when he was asked about the recent suggestion by his national security adviser, John Bolton, that the “Libyan model” be a template for dealing with North Korea at a summit between Trump and Kim planned for 12 June in Singapore.
The model Bolton was referring to was Gaddafi’s agreement in December 2003 to surrender his embryonic nuclear weapons programme, which included allowing his uranium centrifuges to be shipped out to the US.
But Trump appeared to be unaware of that agreement, and interpreted the “Libyan model” to mean the 2011 Nato intervention in Libya in support of an insurrection, which ultimately led to Gaddafi’s murder at the hands of rebels in Tripoli.
That Trump as an international statesman and Nobel Peace prize nominee thing still working for you?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:14 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
That Trump as an international statesman and Nobel Peace prize nominee thing still working for you?
Sweet Jesus, please, no.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
Trump's warning to Kim Jong-un: make a deal or suffer same fate as Gaddafi

The crazy thing about that, of course, is that Gaddafi suffered the "fate of Gaddafi" at least in part because he did make that deal.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
The crazy thing about that, of course, is that Gaddafi suffered the "fate of Gaddafi" at least in part because he did make that deal.
I would pay money to see Kim have a knife stuck up his ass.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I would pay money to see Kim have a knife stuck up his ass.
Aye; but how many lives would you pay for the same?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 PM

I just saw this pop up on the AP: Ahead of Trump summit, Kim Jong Un crafts a careful message.

It echoes what a lot of people are saying here and provides info I personally hadn't seen before, but suspected was the case.
Quote:
In a country where there is no Twitter but lots of fake news, North Koreans are getting a very different take than American media-watchers on what got the two leaders to the negotiating table and what they will be trying to accomplish.

What North Koreans are hearing is that Kim is calling all the shots. That he’s a strategic genius whose bold nuclear policies have opened the door to Korean-led peace talks with the South. And that he has finally succeeded in forcing the leader of the most powerful country in the world to acknowledge their country’s new status.
Quote:
The North’s media didn’t even make their first explicit announcement of the Trump summit until last week.

That news came May 10, the day after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Pyongyang to work out details of the release of three American prisoners and finalize the summit’s venue and its June 12 date. The North’s ruling party newspaper put a photo of Kim shaking his hand on its front page.
Quote:
Much of the news getting out to the broader population is likely trickling down through the hierarchy of the ruling party. It is then disseminated out to the broader membership, believed to number several million, before spreading to others officially or through conversations or around-the-water-cooler sorts of ways.

That process was set in motion in earnest last month, when Kim called a meeting of the party’s central committee and announced his decision to suspend nuclear tests and ICBM launches. The committee is comprised of more than 100 senior party members and a roughly equivalent number of alternates whose task is to make sure that party policies are understood and implemented throughout the country.

Outside of North Korea, the announcement was widely reported as a major pre-summit concession. But that wasn’t the way it was presented to the party by Kim.

Kim’s pitch was that under his leadership the country had in just five years completed its development of nuclear weapons, which he called a “miraculous victory” that meant there was no more need for testing and paved the way for the country to turn its attention to economic growth.

North Korea, Kim announced, would never use nuclear weapons or transfer nuclear weapons or nuclear technology “unless there are nuclear threats and nuclear provocations” against it. He added that the North’s nuclear weapons are “a powerful treasured sword for defending peace” that guarantee future generations “can enjoy the most dignified and happiest life in the world.”

Kim’s message to his own people so far, in other words, sounds a lot like the opposite of denuclearization.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-17-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:19 PM

I expect that in a year or so, the "nuclear talks" charade will be seen as an elaborate ruse to cover the collapse, demolition, and re-establishment of NK nuclear test infrastructure. "See, we blew up our totally not-collapsed nuclear test site in good faith, but since America screwed up the talks, we'll just have to build a new test site now. Maybe on more stable ground this time. Not that the previous one collapsed or anything."
Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I expect that in a year or so, the "nuclear talks" charade will be seen as an elaborate ruse to cover the collapse, demolition, and re-establishment of NK nuclear test infrastructure. "See, we blew up our totally not-collapsed nuclear test site in good faith, but since America screwed up the talks, we'll just have to build a new test site now. Maybe on more stable ground this time. Not that the previous one collapsed or anything."
Are you a public relations guy for North Korea? Tell Kim he needs a better haircut.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I just saw this pop up on the AP: Ahead of Trump summit, Kim Jong Un crafts a careful message.

It echoes what a lot of people are saying here and provides info I personally hadn't seen before, but suspected was the case.
If you read between the lines, Kim Jung Un is already essentially getting ahead of Trump in setting the terms of any agreement. As has probably already been mentioned here or on other NK threads, Kim wants an end to sanctions for one thing, but no less important, he views the continued indefinite US military presence in South Korea and East Asia as a threat, and he intends to do something about it. He may not get the US and South Korea to end their mutual security agreement, but he does absolutely intend to make it a less potent and less real threat against his regime. Threatening to pull out over the joint exercises is not just Kim being fussy and capricious; it's his equivalent of the brush back pitch. There's no meeting yet, but this is one of his first stipulations. He's setting up what negotiations will look like.

And I suspect Mr. Art of the Deal may not have any fucking clue that this is in fact what's happening right now. Trump's not setting the tempo of the meeting; he's reacting to it, because he doesn't have a coherent policy of any kind. Bolton, on the other hand, does have one. Pompeo might have one as well, and they might not be the same. It'll be interesting to see who wins within the administration in terms of influence. Jim Mattis might still have a role to play yet.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM

When you step back and look at the very basic macro view of the whole thing, I think it's clear that now that NK has a minimally credible nuclear capability, they are now pursuing the best way to capitalize on it. It's not a coincidence that semi-serious reunification talk pops up as soon as NK nuke-triculated, as if the two things were somehow complimentary. Reunification and denuclearization will be the dangling carrots on infinitely long sticks that NK uses to extort untold concessions from SK. NK doesn't actually need any concessions or sanctions relief from the US if the SK tap is flowing and they have all sorts of cooperative projects to very, very, very slowly "refamiliarize" the Korean people.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
NK doesn't actually need any concessions or sanctions relief from the US if the SK tap is flowing and they have all sorts of cooperative projects to very, very, very slowly "refamiliarize" the Korean people.
They need food. My Arkansas has a lot of chickens, rice and soybeans. Perhaps they should speak with Governor Hutcheson rather than President Trump.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Cool! We can start airlifting them in, maybe couple of days, a week or so....
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Kim is now demanding the return of 12 defectors.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Perhaps they should speak with Governor Hutcheson rather than President Trump.
Asa first step at least, not a bad idea.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Saw this tweet from Anna Fifield, the WaPo Tokyo bureau chief:
Quote:
Trump administration official on North Korea: “It doesn’t look like they want to denuclearize at all.”

Entire North Korea expert community: “No shit, Sherlock.”
ETA: Remember when people used to say "the grownups are back in charge" when a GOP Administration began?

How quaint.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 05-21-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM

Trump put out a coin for the summit. It calls Kim the "Supreme Leader" which is a title he never uses and is not used in N. Korea. He is chairman of the workers party and chairman of state affairs commission. Guess those won't fit on a coin

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 05-22-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Trump suggests summit with NKorea’s Kim could be 'delayed'
Quote:
President Donald Trump suggested Tuesday that a planned historic meeting with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un could be delayed. He said, “There’s a very substantial chance that it won’t work out” for June 12.

Trump raised the possibility that the meeting could be pushed back during a White House meeting with South Korea President Moon Jae-in, trying to coordinate strategy as concerns mounted over ensuring a successful outcome for the North Korea summit.

Trump told reporters: “If it doesn’t happen, maybe it happens later,”
Quote:
Trump said “there’s a very substantial chance” that the meeting won’t take place on June 12. “That doesn’t mean it won’t work out over a period of time,” he said. “But it may not work out for June 12. But there is a good chance that we’ll have the meeting.”

Ever the statesman:
Quote:
Trump said he’d noticed “a little change” in Kim Jong Un’s “attitude” after Kim took a second trip to China this month in the run-up to the summit. “I don’t like that,” Trump said.

Check out this loaded gun, er, statement (helpfully bolded):
Quote:
Trump encouraged Kim to seize the opportunity for the meeting and to make a deal to abandon his nuclear program, pledging not only to guarantee Kim’s personal security, but also predicting an economic revitalization for the North.

“I will guarantee his safety, yes,” Trump said, if Kim agrees to complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization.
Sure, he'll give up the only thing protecting him from the US and instead rely on the US to protect him; that's gonna happen. It's a no-brainer, right?

Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore:
Quote:
Fresh questions were raised Tuesday about North Korea’s goals and motives, with a Pentagon report to Congress that says nuclear weapons are central to North Korea’s strategic goal of ensuring the perpetual the rule of the Kim family dynasty. The report on North Korea’s military capabilities was based on an assessment of developments in 2017 and was provided to Congress in April. It was posted online by an anti-secrecy group.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Trump put out a coin for the summit. It calls Kim the "Supreme Leader" which is a title he never uses and is not used in N. Korea. He is chairman of the workers party and chairman of state affairs commission. Guess those won't fit on a coin
Turns out it's a coin made by the White House Communications Agency, a DoD unit that supports presidential travel, not Trump. WHCA makes a coin for all international travel they support. No taxpayer funds are used for these coins.

And let's get real, the personnel who have time to make a coin are often those whose skills are not in high demand for, say, operating sensitive electronics. The fac that "President Trump" is spelled correctly means that they took their time with this design effort.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Saw this tweet from Anna Fifield, the WaPo Tokyo bureau chief:
Quote:
Trump administration official on North Korea: “It doesn’t look like they want to denuclearize at all.”

Entire North Korea expert community: “No shit, Sherlock.”
As has been said already in this thread, "Nobody knew that disarming North Korea could be so complicated."
Old 05-22-2018, 05:31 PM

And as is obvious, even Trump supporters who use the words "Trump" and "statesman" in the same sentence end the sentence with a question mark.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM

The state of Ignorance, maybe.