Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I don't know that he has ever even been to Mississippi!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

North Korea calls Mike Pence a "political dummy", then threatens a nuclear showdown.

Yeah, this is going to be a triumph of statesmanship.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post

Quote:
North Korea has long cited Libya's case as the reason it needs nuclear weapons. Less than a decade after Moammar Gadhafi agreed to abandon its nuclear aspirations in a deal with the United States, he was ousted from power and killed with the help of NATO-backed forces.

Choe called Pence a "political dummy" for comparing Libya to North Korea. She said that Libya's nuclear program was in its early stages when it came to the negotiating table, while North Korea has spent years developing its nuclear weapons.

It's annoyed me for quite some time how so many people dismiss NK's attempts to get nuclear weapons as being "crazy" or "stupid". I've said for years that it makes perfect sense. As they said above, they've seen for years what happens to unpleasant countries that don't have nukes, and they don't want that to happen to them. If you think you're likely to end up the cross hairs of the US military, it'd be stupid not to try to build a few nukes.

There's a reason the US lets Pakistan get away with so much crap, and it's not because Americans like Pakistanis.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 PM

Americans like Pakistanis fine enough, AFAICT. The government/military/intelligence of Pakistan maybe not so much.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM

Summit canceled, according to the news.

Winning!
Old 05-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Hard to argue with them about Pence.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Americans like Pakistanis fine enough, AFAICT. The government/military/intelligence of Pakistan maybe not so much.
Same was true of Iraq before we invaded.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

Winning!
It's like this entire administration is a Violent Torpedo of Truth tour, isn't it?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Winning!
Are you bored of all this winning yet?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It's like this entire administration is a Violent Torpedo of Truth tour, isn't it?
Having lived through the presidencies of Nixon, Reagan, and Shrubby, whatever their manifold failings were, they had *mostly* competent people around them. Their Administrations had particular (and often fairly sizable) areas of incompetence and/or malevolence, but for the most part, their people kept the government and the country running down normal channels.

With Trump, pretty much everyone in a position of authority is incompetent, malevolent, or both. (Trump himself is both, of course.) This entire Administration is off the rails in ways far beyond what anybody alive has previously experienced in this country.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Are you bored of all this winning yet?
So bored of it, I need him to retire immediately to give me a respite from all the winning.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Tired... So sleepy... zzzzz....

Wait! There has Got to be a way to segue this discussion to Hillary's emails! Boy, that Clinton Foundation, what a fiasco eh?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM
BANNED

Well, I mean, we should be fair - if the most incompetent administration in history had managed to pull off a diplomatic coup that had evaded the US for a few decades, it would certainly be worth praising!

And if Trump invented a flying pig...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM

It's amazing how often this administration can take a bad idea, suddenly realize it, and then back away from it in the most stupid way possible.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Hard to argue with them about Pence.
I have to agree, this is correct, as was dotard when aimed at trump. Those NK dudes are pretty clever.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Winning!
Cadet Bone Spurs gets Kim Jong Owned.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:39 AM

As I said in the Pit just now, does this really surprise anyone, no matter what side of the political spectrum you are on? I mean, better politicians and statesmen than Pompepo (and Tillerman before him) have tried to arrange things between the U.S. and N. Korea, with no discernable success, and given President Trumps...less than deft handling of international diplomacy plus his short fuse, this was a longshot from the first.

It is, IMHO, a bad look for the US to be cancelling it, making us look, no matter what we say, as the folks who are against peace in that part of the world. It'll be interesting to see the South Korean take on our canceling something they had worked on and put a fair amount of effort into.

So, back to the status quo; until something else comes along in the region.

And in answer to the OP; Not looking good on the statesman part right now...

Actual source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/polit...rea/index.html
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
It's amazing how often this administration can take a bad idea, suddenly realize it, and then back away from it in the most stupid way possible.

I disagree. Trump painted himself into a corner. If this meeting did take place, there is no way in hell Trump would have come out looking like a winner. Because let's face it, Kim ain't gonna de-nuke shit. And all this summit would have done is give Kim legitimacy on the world stage.

So now, Trump canceled before Kim had the chance to. So point goes to Trump between these two stupid fuckers.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I disagree. Trump painted himself into a corner. If this meeting did take place, there is no way in hell Trump would have come out looking like a winner. Because let's face it, Kim ain't gonna de-nuke shit. And all this summit would have done is give Kim legitimacy on the world stage.

So now, Trump canceled before Kim had the chance to. So point goes to Trump between these two stupid fuckers.
True, but if that's the case, why have the meeting in the first place? (Also, ooh, post 15k!)

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 05-24-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Former National Security Council spokesperson Tommy Vietor sums it up pretty well with this Tweet...

Quote:
This North Korea fiasco shows how much Trump gets graded on a curve. He accomplished nothing. The process was obviously flawed. But pundits rushed to prematurely praise him to balance out all the well-deserved criticism that came before.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 AM

There's also this from Matt Yglesias...

Why are we taking Donald Trumpís Korea diplomacy seriously?
All he does is lie and break promises. This will be no different.

Quote:
Donald Trump is a liar. More than that, heís a fraud. Not just a person who makes factual misstatements but a person who has gotten ahead in life through extensive use of bullshit, leaving in his wake a trail of broken promises.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
True, but if that's the case, why have the meeting in the first place? (Also, ooh, post 15k!)
LOL. Because Trump has a nasty habit of running his mouth off. Trump challenge Kim into a meeting thinking he would never accept. Kim called Trump on his bluff, and what we've been seeing for the past several weeks is a game of chicken.

NK's representative said something inflammatory, so now Trump uses that as an excuse to jump ship.

And of course Repubs will praise Trump for his "Teddy Roosevelt" like leadership.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I mostly meant that he did it by writing a letter that sounded like he was a spurned 12 year old breaking up with his girlfriend before he got dumped.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Do you think this will hurt his chances at that Nobel Peace Prize that everyone is saying he should be getting?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Summit is off. Will they melt down those Challenge Coins? Can we rule out these knuckleheads for the Nobel Peace Prize now? Will we see more tweets about Little Rocketman and The Dotard?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hey, healthcare's a mess. I will fix it.

Oh, I didn't know it would be hard to fix.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
With Trump, pretty much everyone in a position of authority is incompetent, malevolent, or both. (Trump himself is both, of course.) This entire Administration is off the rails in ways far beyond what anybody alive has previously experienced in this country.
Good thing we have patriotic Republicans in Congress who will check and balance his idiocy. Oh wait...

Last edited by TonySinclair; 05-24-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 AM

I know he says he's taking a break from SDMB, but I'm fairly sure he's still lurking.....

Hi Ditka!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Do you think this will hurt his chances at that Nobel Peace Prize that everyone is saying he should be getting?
Maybe he can submit his Twitter feed for the Literature prize instead.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Maybe he can submit his Twitter feed for the Literature prize instead.
Have they ever given the Nobel to an author of Fantasy?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Obama won one for...what was it for?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 AM

that Obama award was dumb. They must have been drinking that year .
Old 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Obama won one for...what was it for?
Providing hope that America wasn't a lost cause.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Gabriel Garcia Marquez didn't exactly write fantasy, but books like 100 Years of Solitude were somewhat surreal.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 PM

I really like reading the original OP of this thread. It's pretty funny now.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
NK's representative said something inflammatory, so now Trump uses that as an excuse to jump ship.
yeah- because what Pence said was totally cool and collected - along with Trump's own statements recently about it.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Hey, healthcare's a mess. I will fix it.

Oh, I didn't know it would be hard to fix.
"I have to tell you, itís an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew that North Korea could be so complicated.Ē
Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

The letter canceling the summit is a wonder to behold, and I don't mean that in a good way. It has be a new low in diplomacy. It is, in fact, so riddled with awkward phrasing, bad grammar, and incomprehensible logic that a two-bit tinpot dictatorship would have been embarrassed by it. It's so awful that I'm thinking Trump himself must have written parts of it, or else everyone working for him is both incompetent and illiterate in equal measure.

A few choice bits:
We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant.
What??? I repeat, what??? WTF does this even mean?
Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, ...
Nice move. The first thing to do in any diplomatic communication is insult the other party by blaming them for everything and calling them a bunch of angry and hostile meanies.
Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.
"Please let this letter serve to represent" is not a phrase I have ever seen in any language that I speak. This is then followed by the inscrutable observation that canceling the summit is somehow good for the US and North Korea, but terrible for the rest of the world.
You talk about nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.
This has to be the first time in history that a US diplomatic communication has ever stated "mine is way bigger than yours" and "we is so big and mighty youse don't wanna mess with us". This has "Trump" written all over it. It has to be.
Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you.
That would be "I very much look forward to meeting you someday". But, hey, what's two ungrammatical word transpositions and one spelling mistake for every ten words, other than it sounds like it was written by a newly arrived immigrant from one of those famous African shitholes who was just starting his ESL course?
If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.
Wait a minute. Who's the one doing the canceling here? How does this make even the remotest bit of sense? Also, "if you change your mind having to do with ..." is not actually English, but at this point it hardly even matters.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I mostly meant that he did it by writing a letter that sounded like he was a spurned 12 year old breaking up with his girlfriend before he got dumped.
Nice poster name/post combo.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I really like reading the original OP of this thread. It's pretty funny now.
From the OP

Quote:
...I'm rather pleasantly surprised with the progress Trump has made on the North Korean front. This appears, at least to me, to be the most significant progress towards denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula that has made in the last couple of decades...
Bwhahaha!!! I just can't even...

Let's see if we can track the brilliant Art of the Deal that Trump tracked through the Korean Peninsula:
Step 1 - Declare victory
Step 2 - Announce a meeting
Step 3 - Declare that you've achieved all of your objectives
Step 4 - Announce a meeting location
Step 5 - Declare that you will destroy the North Koreans
Step 6 - Issue commemorative coins
Step 7 - Cancel the meeting

The sheer brilliance of it all...

Are we tired of winning yet?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
The letter canceling the summit is a wonder to behold, and I don't mean that in a good way. It has be a new low in diplomacy. It is, in fact, so riddled with awkward phrasing, bad grammar, and incomprehensible logic that a two-bit tinpot dictatorship would have been embarrassed by it. It's so awful that I'm thinking Trump himself must have written parts of it, or else everyone working for him is both incompetent and illiterate in equal measure.
And this.

Quote:
I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters

This is an amazing letter. So poorly written, and so incoherent.

Once again, Trump lives up to his motto: Malice, tempered by incompetence.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

TLDR version: "Look what you made me do."
Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
source

I'm rather pleasantly surprised with the progress Trump has made on the North Korean front. This appears, at least to me, to be the most significant progress towards denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula that has made in the last couple of decades. Am I missing something here, or is this good news?
You missed something here: the party representing the United States is lead by Donald Trump.

How did you forget this, Ditka?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

The White House Gift Shop website dropped the price on the Trump/Kim commemorative coins from $89 to $24, and posted a disclaimer:
Quote:
The Coin Will be Made Whether or Not the Summit Occurs as Scheduled

Because the Theme is

Coming Closer to Peace and Celebrates the Act of Communication Among Countries

If Summit Does Not Occur You can Request a Refund but Most Supporters Have Said They Want This Heirloom of Political History Regardless of Outcome.
The kicker is, when the media picked up on the story, the gift shop website mysteriously went dark.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The White House Gift Shop website dropped the price on the Trump/Kim commemorative coins from $89 to $24, and posted a disclaimer:

The kicker is, when the media picked up on the story, the gift shop website mysteriously went dark.
I did not know the White House had a gift shop. (and I've been there twice)

Ignorance fought
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post

A few choice bits:
We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant.
What??? I repeat, what??? WTF does this even mean?
Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, ...
Nice move. The first thing to do in any diplomatic communication is insult the other party by blaming them for everything and calling them a bunch of angry and hostile meanies.
Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.
"Please let this letter serve to represent" is not a phrase I have ever seen in any language that I speak. This is then followed by the inscrutable observation that canceling the summit is somehow good for the US and North Korea, but terrible for the rest of the world.
You talk about nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.
This has to be the first time in history that a US diplomatic communication has ever stated "mine is way bigger than yours" and "we is so big and mighty youse don't wanna mess with us". This has "Trump" written all over it. It has to be.
Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you.
That would be "I very much look forward to meeting you someday". But, hey, what's two ungrammatical word transpositions and one spelling mistake for every ten words, other than it sounds like it was written by a newly arrived immigrant from one of those famous African shitholes who was just starting his ESL course?
If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.
Wait a minute. Who's the one doing the canceling here? How does this make even the remotest bit of sense? Also, "if you change your mind having to do with ..." is not actually English, but at this point it hardly even matters.
Please let this post serve to represent that I muchly am in a very appreciative aspect considering the analyzing you done did concerning the letter from our esteemed presidential officeholder of the presidency.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White House Gift Shop
Because the Theme is

Coming Closer to Peace and Celebrates the Act of Communication Among Countries
If that incredible letter sent to Kim canceling the summit is an example of "Communication Among Countries", I wouldn't be celebrating it. I'd be cowering in a bomb shelter.
Quote:
Just like the "We the People" petition website. I notice that the petition website is back up again, but since one of the most prominent petitions is for Trump to resign, I imagine it will get closed down again, or just ignored.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
...but Most Supporters Have Said They Want This Heirloom of Political History Regardless of Outcome.

Doesn't that just perfectly encapsulate the entire problem with Trump Supporters?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Apparently Putin didn't like something they were selling.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Please let this post serve to represent that I muchly am in a very appreciative aspect considering the analyzing you done did concerning the letter from our esteemed presidential officeholder of the presidency.
Thanking to you immensively for most kindness sayings. We were informed that this post was made by you yourself, but that to us is totally irrelevant. Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. Although I have a very big schlong and you probably don't.