Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM

What are your tactics for getting people to go vote?

There's been a Facebook meme going around (that was prevalent last November); an image of a huge crowd of people, with one-third of them "I voted" and two-thirds of them saying in unison, "We didn't vote because it doesn't make a difference."

What are your own GOTV tactics (regardless of which way you lean politically) to get your fellow cohorts off the couch and to the polling station?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 PM

Call, go door-to-door. Going door-to-door is tougher, and as an individual volunteer, I sometimes dread doing it, but on a macro level, it helps the organizers do their jobs. I've come away with an admiration of the grass roots organizers - can't be an easy job.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Call, go door-to-door. Going door-to-door is tougher, and as an individual volunteer, I sometimes dread doing it, but on a macro level, it helps the organizers do their jobs. I've come away with an admiration of the grass roots organizers - can't be an easy job.
Right, but I mean more like, what is your "pitch" to them? How do you counter the "My 1 vote isn't going to sway the election in itself" fallacy?
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Explain Bernie Sander's policies to them.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 AM

I pay people to vote. Kind of. In 2008 I was excited about the Obama campaign. I offered my employees an hour or two to go vote, while remaining "on the clock".

Unfortunately I discovered that the people who needed to be coddled to vote were the same people who'd never registered.