Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

aeola.us spam and how to kill it off

Since 8/31/17 I have received 119 pieces of spam from an annoying new source.

The emails' FROM header always takes the form "contact@" & {random characters} & "aolea.us"

Examples:
contact@zjwjFD5EEM8Taolea.us
contact@zjwj89VJ5FL9aolea.us
contact@U9ZREA4013ETaolea.us

I use Eudora (yeah, still) as my POP email client and I have no difficulty setting up clientside filters that recognize and discard this shit. But that means I'm downloading lots of spam just to spamfilter and discard it every day

My email ISP is earthlink. For server-side filtering, they have a limited set of controls including "no server-side spam filtering" and "discard any email that isn't from a sender in your address book" (that's a nonstarter, I use my email address as "how to contact me" on materials distributed to strangers) or the "medium filtering" option that I do use, "delete known spam" + "use a blocked senders list". The blocked senders list allows me to block an entire domain but it doesn't allow me to use a wildcard. So I could block the domain "zjwjFD5EEM8Taolea.us" but that doesn't stop any of the others, and it doesn't let me block "*aolea.us".

Earthlink tech support has been less than stellar on figuring out how to stop this. They've requested that I log into web mail (which I don't normally use) and mark each such piece of email as "spam", which I've done, but it doesn't appear to have made a dent yet.

What I'd LIKE to do is set up some kind of application or process that accesses my email and deletes the aolea.us emails from server. I have (of course) the POP3 server IP and my credentials for logging in and fetching email. Is there a tool of some sort that can fetch FROM headers and then loop through them and delete individual emails?

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-04-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Since 8/31/17 I have received 119 pieces of spam from an annoying new source.
174 and counting. Fourth call to earthlink.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I've had the problem of 'dynamic' domains. Actually, I'd like to get emails from the FAA -- but they use dynamic domains, so I can't approve them.

My Spamblocker is set to:
Suspect Email Blocking Highest Protection
Messages from unknown senders (those not in your Address Book) are redirected to your Suspect Email folder. This setting includes Known spam Blocking.
My automated response reads:
Quote:
I apologise for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I
have approved beforehand.
I still get spam, but it's easier to control when it's sequestered.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm not willing to do that. The current situation is annoying but it's just chewing up bandwidth. Eudora recognizes this "aolea.us" shit right away and changes the subject display line to "aolea crap" so I don't even have to read their come-on subject titles and it tosses it into the trash can. But it can only do that after it's wasted time and bandwidth downloading it in the first place.

I can also set up Eudora to auto-forward each and every one of the damn things to fraud@abuse.earthlink.net and see how THEY like being inundated with several hundred spam emails per month.

I need people to be able to email me. Getting a bumpercrop of spam is the price tag. This is just above and beyond bumpercrop and moving into The Spam That Ate Manhattan territory.

And it seems to me that if Eudora can freaking figure out that contact@{anystringhere}aolea.us is deserving of a specific treatment, earthlink's servers ought to be able to do it server-side.

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-05-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

Server-side mail filtering rules seem to quite commonly have safeguards to prevent you accidentally filtering more than you intended to. I guess someone here imagined that you would never actually want to block a whole domain, when in fact, there are plenty of cases where you may want to do exactly that.

I actually wanted to block a whole TLD the other day, but nope, 1and1's blacklisting feature just assumed I was making a mistake - so now I'm continuing to get a bunch of spam from random domains with .club and .bid TLD suffixes. I'd like to just block *.bid and *.club (if anyone wants to send me legitimate email from such an address, well, fuck 'em - too bad), but nope. Not permitted, even though it would be easily possible.

So the alternatives appear to be:
  • Client-local spam filtering - using inbuilt functions in your mail client, or locally-installed mail filters or plugins
  • Spam filtering proxies - you point the proxy at your actual mailbox, then point your mail client at the proxy - it sits there in the middle filtering out the junk
  • Spam filtering services - which you grant permission to your mailbox and they monitor it and remove the spam on your behalf.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout
I guess someone here imagined that you would never actually want to block a whole domain, when in fact, there are plenty of cases where you may want to do exactly that.
Earthlink, bless their annoying little hearts, do in fact make it possible to block an entire domain with server-side filtering.

I could block "aolea.us" (and have done so, for all the good it does me). If I were receiving spam from, let's say, contact@aolea.us or assholesRus@aolea.us, I would be home free. Problem is, these little shits are sticking random characters in as part of the domain, so the first email is from contact@JKWLxus2aolea.us and the next email is from contact@JLWSBx97aolea.us and so on.

If they would let me block *aolea.us, with a wild card, that would do the trick, but the interface they provide me doesn't let me do so. Errors out saying "*aolea.us is not recognized"

Quote:
Spam filtering services - which you grant permission to your mailbox and they monitor it and remove the spam on your behalf.
I'd like to know more about this option.

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Earthlink, bless their annoying little hearts, do in fact make it possible to block an entire domain with server-side filtering.

I could block "aolea.us" (and have done so, for all the good it does me). If I were receiving spam from, let's say, contact@aolea.us or assholesRus@aolea.us, I would be home free. Problem is, these little shits are sticking random characters in as part of the domain, so the first email is from contact@JKWLxus2aolea.us and the next email is from contact@JLWSBx97aolea.us and so on.

If they would let me block *aolea.us, with a wild card, that would do the trick, but the interface they provide me doesn't let me do so. Errors out saying "*aolea.us is not recognized"
Ah. I misread your original post - I thought you were getting emails from a subdomain e.g. contact@JKWLxus2.aolea.us.
Is it possible that they do support wildcarding, but that the wildcard isn't an asterisk. Long shot, I know, but if there are other wildcard conventions, such as regular expression (and I think some systems use # as wildcard). Have they explicity said they don't support wildcards?

Quote:
I'd like to know more about this option.
I think they're mostly paid-for services, and many of them are tailored for business, but there's a list that includes many of the popular offerings here: https://community.spiceworks.com/clo...i-spam/reviews
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM

Have you tried SpamWasher? I don't use it anymore because I migrated away from a desktop email client, but it was great for years when I used it. It can pre-filter your emails so you don't have to download them to discard spam. Deletes them right on the server. Last I looked they had both free and paid versions.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I've never tried any spam-handling services other than server-side filters provided by my ISP (via web browser) and client-side filters in my desktop email client.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 AM

I'm in the same boat with these aeola pricks. I also have Earthlink. Clearly they are doing nothing about it. I've forwarded lots of emails to them, but they don't care. We need a server-side wildcard in the blocked senders list, like *aeola.us! Any more ideas?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 AM

I just read that you can block all but the most common domains entirely. For example, .us or .rus can be blocked. But .com, .org, .net and other super common ones cannot be blocked, because they are too likely to send legit emails. So we could block .us, as long as we don't know anyone legit from the .us domain.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

So, the fact that a .us TLD is being abused is a surprise. If you want to be super-duper annoying, forward all those to Neustar which maintains the .us TLD.

I have a .us domain, so, I'd like that TLD to not be blocked wholly but if it's being abused then it needs to be dealt with.

Here are the Support emails that I would notify when they come in:

support.us[@]neustar.us
Registry[@]support.neustar
Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronbee View Post
So, the fact that a .us TLD is being abused is a surprise. If you want to be super-duper annoying, forward all those to Neustar which maintains the .us TLD.

I have a .us domain, so, I'd like that TLD to not be blocked wholly but if it's being abused then it needs to be dealt with.

Here are the Support emails that I would notify when they come in:

support.us[@]neustar.us
Registry[@]support.neustar
hell yeah. thanks!

Quote:
when they come in
* snort snicker guffaw giggle *

I have 2049 of the damn spam emails preserved since the end of August. That's after a 1000 or so that came in before I fully realized they were from the same spamsource. "when" is pretty much every freaking time I fetch email

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-19-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 PM

I'm also affected. Super annoying.

this may be a rookie question in this forum but how did you do client-side filtering? Adding *.aolea.us to blocked list wasnt successful in outlook on my PC and my 2 family iphones draw from same POP account. There doesnt seem to be a way to filter iphone mail at all, but I was hoping to at least set rules to remove from outlook.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
how did you do client-side filtering? Adding *.aolea.us to blocked list wasnt successful in outlook on my PC
I have Eudora (still). I have to run it in a VM that runs 10.6.8 which in turn is able to execute PowerPC code, that's how old it is. I still use it for a reason.

I wish I had that kind of power when setting up server-side filters on Earthlink's site.

Last edited by AHunter3; 09-20-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

The ".us" support personnel that electronbee linked to have been very helpful. They ascertained that it is not really from their TLD (forged) but had me forward them some complete headers and they think they can trace from that where this shit is coming from and alert the people where it does originate.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM

this is not meant to resolve your situation … just a pertinent read … course, you may have already finished this article.
https://blogs.earthlink.net/protecti...from-spammers/
Old 09-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino_manatee View Post
this is not meant to resolve your situation just a pertinent read course, you may have already finished this article.
https://blogs.earthlink.net/protecti...from-spammers/
Yeah, not helpful or pertinent, I'm afraid.

Earthlink tech support keeps urging me to click the box that would nuke any inbound email from people who are not in my (web-site, server-side) address book. Quite aside from the fact that I don't freaking have a server-side address book, because I don't use freaking web mail, it would mean no one can email me unless I am expecting in advance that they are going to email me and have entered their email addresses into my address book in advance. Which virtually defeats the purpose of having a public email address.

It's like telling a small business that advertises in the local papers from time to time and that's currently getting a massive influx of harassment and threatening phone calls that they should consider switching to an unlisted number to fix the problem. Hello?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 AM

Hey! I'm another Earthlink member who gets that *aolea.us spam!

I get at LEAST ten a day and found this page searching for, like you, using wildcards in the Earthlink Spam Blocker. Anyway, great to find you guys and discover I'm not alone.

I painstakingly report these emails over and over, and still they come through. Honestly, how hard is it for an email program to notice that I've reported literally hundreds of emails coming from *aolea.us as spam?

I'm seriously considering junking my Earthlink email because they're so incompetent: every day this junk takes up 2-3% of my mailbox, which means if I don't delete the stuff within a week it'll reject my REAL mail.

I'm also tempted to write to the REAL companies this spam advertises and asking them what's up. I mean, unless the Wall Street Journal is so desperate they don't care what people do to get them subscribers.

Anyway, misery loves company so good to meet you folks. Keep me posted if you figure out how to get Earthlink to do something.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Every day I move the *aolea.us stuff into the Junk folder, then once a week log into webmail.earthlink.net online and report them all as spam. I've definitely done a few hundred and it's done absolutely nothing. I think this is why people laugh at me when I give them my email address: apparently xyz@earthlink.net is as bad as xyz@aol.com.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Hell, for all I know, they originate via Earthlink. That'd be kind of shitty, mass-spamming your own clients on behalf of well-paying spammers or something. But I have no evidence of that.

I'm theoretically gettting a callback from 2nd tier tech support today. They keep calling when I'm not at my desk and then not trying again, and I keep calling and poking at them to requeue the damn call.

For awhile I had my client-side filters in Eudora auto-forwarding each and every one to their abuse-reporting email address... after the first 700 or so, they started blocking them, identifying my emails to them as spam!! (They went to my server-side "Sent Spam" folder).
Old 09-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Concurrent offboard thread
Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

On phone with 3rd tier tech support now. Wish us luck.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Or so I thought... the call concluded with a statement that the issue is now being escalated to 3rd tier. I'm supposed to get a callback in "24 to 48 business hours".
Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Well, I'll be damned... I haven't received a single piece of aolea today and it's 10 am already. And yesterday I received an email from earthlink's spamblocker (which has never previously emailed to this account due to the settings I use) in which all the deleted spam emails were listed as contact@cron-job.org

I think they've done it!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Spoke too soon. They've "done it" by blocking the entirety of the top-level ".us" domain. I could've done that my own freaking self.

(The cron-job.org stuff was a spammer I had forgotten about, that was my own separate server-side filter; had nothing to do with the aolea stuff)

OK, I give up... ==> searched all my email going back to 1991 for every inbound email from a .us sender. Found about 7 people. Entered them into my earthlink server-side Address Book, and I have the setting that says don't nuke any email from someone in my Address Book even if it appears to be spam. Seven people in nearly 30 years indicates it's a pretty low likelihood that some legitimate new sender will be trying to email me from a .us domain.

The earthlink 3rd tier tech was sympathetic and possibly somewhat frustrated himself although he was delicately circumspect about that: "Do me a favor and click the button on webmail for sending a suggestion. I can forward a ticket making that suggestion but it's more likely to receive their attention if it comes from you because they care about customer input".
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Thanks AHunter3! Nothing has changed for me -- still getting 12+ aolea spams per day and reporting them with absolutely no help or change from Earthlink. Odd you mention cron-job: I get even more of those, but since I added them to the spam blocker Earthlink filters them out. Still, they send me a spam-blocker report every week saying they're still coming.

Anyway, my solution is cancelling Earthlink. They clearly are incompetent, and this coupled with the ridiculously small size allotted per account -- 100 MB, which is one-tenth of what Yahoo offers for FREE -- is unacceptable these days.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Oh, you use it IMAP-style? Or keep your emails on server and use web mail or something?

I'm all about that POP mail and nothing stays on server more than 24 hours.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 PM

Delete spam from aolea.us

I'm using Outlook 2016 - I just created a rule to automatically delete messages with the word aolea.us in the senders name. I ran the rule against my junk folder and all of the *aolea.us emails were permanently deleted. I don't care about bandwidth, it only takes a few minutes to get my 100+ legit emails.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 AM

Aeola

I use Earthlink

To really control Spam you do NEED use their Highest setting... as far as to having to use an address book, yes you do but once an address is added then you get the mail, otherwise if not in the address book it goes into suspect spam which can be set to automatic clean itself at an interval you set.

By doing so, I use tbird and I get my mail from the POP Mail.. I dont login to webmail unless need access that suspect mail folder

You can have a SPAM summary sent you daily or whatever you set to, that way you d/l pop mail, you get that report and you can scan the list for any legit mail for example my suspect spam report:
(addresses xxxed out)
Below is your summary of suspect email messages. No action is
necessary. Messages will be deleted 14 days after receipt.

--------------------------------------------------
Date: 11/16/2017 - Sender: "LowerMyBills" xxxxxx
Subject: Switch to a 15 Yr Fixed Mortgage Before It Expires Soon
Date: 11/16/2017 - Sender: "AquaTru Purifier Promo" xxxxxxx
Subject: Reduce Toxic Chemicals From Your Drinking Water
Date: 11/16/2017 - Sender: "1Tac USA" xxxxxxxx
Subject: Insanely Bright Military Flashlight Just Released To The Public
Date: 11/16/2017 - Sender: "Platinum Visa Credit Card from Credit One Bankadmin" xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Find Your Perfect Credit Card
======================================

I can quick scan the suspect spam report sent daily and if I see a legitimate email I only then log into webmail, access suspect spam and if legit and want to get further in inbox i Move the post to my inbox and add to address book.. a couple clicks and done.

Sure its a little work having to log into webmail and all but I only have to do it infrequent when legit mails in my suspect spam which self cleans after 1 week

It might not be so good if using acct for a business that gets loads of emails but for personal...

If have a business and the amt of emails isn't that high you might do with the small bother

You have to log into webmail if want to report email as spam, but once you have moved all legit mail from suspect spam folder and it only has spam you can click once to checl ALL and then select report as span enmass at once.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesphulin View Post
I'm using Outlook 2016 - I just created a rule to automatically delete messages with the word aolea.us in the senders name. I ran the rule against my junk folder and all of the *aolea.us emails were permanently deleted. I don't care about bandwidth, it only takes a few minutes to get my 100+ legit emails.
The risk there through if download all mail is a risk of downloading a worm/trojan/malware in message.. With some
email programs they default to showing html... with T-bird I have mail shown as plain text... so if use a program that shows messages in html and you allow html you run a risk... just saying.. vis a vis a web based system like earthlink has
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 AM

I wonder if cron-job spam is related. I also get at least ten of those a day, though they're easily blocked with the spam filter.

I also suspected Earthlink might be behind it all.

I'm at least fighting back a little by confronting some of the advertised companies on Twitter. Renewal by Anderson and Amora Coffee are there.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Okay, so all the spam is from the same company. I just got a spam from "PrettyLitter Cats <contact@8HZFM0ZS4FBKaolea.us>." Earthlink doesn't recognize it as spam and their blocker can't deal with changing forged source addresses so it went through.

HOWEVER checking the spamblocker summary they sent me last week, there are two similar spams: "PrettyLitter Cats" <contact@cron-job.org> and "PrettyLitter Cats" <DZ7X4H9DCX@nidoo.in>.

Clearly one company is behind cron-job.org, nidoo.in and aolea. They must be sending out millions of spams a day because I'm getting at least twenty a day between all these addresses. I've started fighting back by attacking the advertisers on Twitter -- Renewal by Anderson, Amora Coffee, and American Standard baths -- but it's odd nobody can stop them. This seems like a class action suit that could net millions for a good lawyer.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Hmm, I'll have to watch to see if I"m also getting the nidoo spam. I do seem to be getting an uptick in the quantity the last week or so.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:03 PM

I stumbled on this dodge

Yes, EarthLink's spam handling is so '90s. And its webmail interface is awful.

The obvious solution is to migrate off of EarthLink to a better email provider - I use gmail, but there are plenty of others who allow for more storage, have better spam handling and user interfaces that are at least decent (ever tried to search for an email on earthlink??)

But here's a solution you may not have thought of that I tripped over as I migrate my father off of earthlink, mainly to dodge the 50+ daily spams from *aolea.us, nidoo and cron-job. Go set up a gmail account (this also works with att.net/yahoo). Set it up to access your earthlink account via pop, and set to delete everything from earthlink as soon as it loads it. Gmail's spam filter will take care of the bulk of the crap and you can write decent filters for the rest. gmail supports both pop and imap if you'd rather use your favorite email program vs. the web.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 PM

I never use my Gmail account, but when I go visit it on a monthly basis or so, I'm astounded with just how much spam it has. Considering I never use it, they're not getting the address by anything I've done.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:24 PM

I was also getting a lot of emails from cron-job.org. I was able to block them using server side filters though. But I think you guys are on to something about them being related to aolea.us.

I have marked hundreds of these emails as spam to earthlink as well, and of course have not seen any reduction in these. I tried blocking individual domains, but they just constantly change the domain name. I was thinking maybe they only had a certain number of domains, but it's more likely that they are able to add random characters and not actually have different domain names. I'm assuming different actual domain names might be expensive.

Earthlink is clearly not interested in reducing or eliminating these spam emails. I'm so done with them. I've resisted changing email providers because I've had that address for years and used it for business. But I think I'm going to just trash these worthless bastards and get it over with. Maybe convert over the course of a year or something, just in case. I can't stand it anymore.

I'm also building a new computer with Win 10, and won't be able to use Outlook Express any more. But I like to store emails forever, so can anyone suggest a really good email program that stores bulk email well, has the ability to delay sending an email until a certain time, and has the ability to deal with a wildcard for handling this aolea.us problem? It would be nice if there was a way for it to tell the server they're spam, instead of downloading the spam and then deleting it.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

As bad as earthlink's filtering options are, they're specatularly good compared to verizon email. Verizon has handed theirs over to AOL. Seriously. And AOL doesn't provide any useful filtering at all, in addition to which they themselves spam you — I got an email from AOL Member Services trying to sell me Windows-based PC-performance-improver software.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:09 PM

I just realized I had also added nidoo.in to my blocked senders list in the past. So there does seem to be a connection between aolea.us, nidoo.in, and cron-job.org. They're probably all the same people, or at least traffic in the same spam list.

I just added .us to Earthlink's blocked senders list. It's not worth trying to preserve legit .us emails, at the cost of putting up with 20 spam emails a day from aolea.us. Screw it.

I've read on other forums that gmail's spam filters are pretty much amazing, and it's clear that Earthlink is either not worth a crap, or possibly in on the aolea conspiracy, so seeing as how I'm paying for Earthlink and they're clearly not going to fix this, I've decided to begin the arduous task of leaving Earthlink. Screw them.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:43 PM

Wow! It's an Earthlink thing - I thought it was just my email account!

Wow - I'm blown away that everyone else on Earthlink is getting the exact same spam emails - I thought it was just my email address had become vulnerable along the way somewhere but clearly these particular spammers (cronjon, aeola.us, nidoo, etc) target Earthlink and Earthlink has to have some involvement if so many users have reported them and they have continued to do nothing to filter them out as spam. I guess I am going to try blocking the whole .us domain next because my webmail box keeps filling up so damn fast I can't stay ahead of it. If I hadn't had this dumb earthlink email address for 25 years I'd switch...
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM510 View Post
If I hadn't had this dumb earthlink email address for 25 years I'd switch...
Just 20 for me, but yeah, it's mine and every rare once in awhile someone finds something I wrote or posted way back when and writes to me about it. Or someone who hasn't corresponded in eons decides to reach out.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:32 PM

It is intolerable. I cant take it any more, and who knows how many emails my business doesn't get because my server mailbox is too full of this garbage. Plus I'm stupid enough to be paying them annually for this! I'm going to transition out of EarthLink and into Gmail I guess. It sounds like they have the best spam filtering going.