The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Obama may have outed secret information for political gain? He wasn't the first President to do so. The very nature of secrets makes it hard for ordinary citizens to form a sound opinion on specifics, but I'll say this: I disapprove of such politics on principle but might accept it if it serves the greater good of keeping the White House in rationalist hands.
For the sake of argument, assume that he did leak info for political gain. What could the public do to hold elected officials accountable?


Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Replying to such a question with another question is normal: One judges our leaders via comparisons. Thus, I ask you: What do you think of the outing of Valerie Plame by the Bush Administration?
Small potatoes compared to other things they did and what Obama is doing now.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #202  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
dngnb8 dngnb8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Here; I even wrote your campaign song for you:
/win
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Chessic Sense Chessic Sense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerunknown View Post
They're voting for their preferred candidate out of two options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
We've got two candidates for Presidency.
Three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
You are the blindest partisan on this board. Or maybe that's the other guy that starts with L.
Liberal. Or Lobohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Since either Obama or Romney will be the next president
Sure, with that attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Small potatoes compared to other things they did and what Obama is doing now.

The outing of Valerie Plame was part of a program of disinformation and prevarication which led America into a very foolish war: a war which killed perhaps half a million Iraqis and degraded the lives of millions more, and led the U.S. to waste more than a trillion dollars.

"Small potatoes"? You, sir, are astonishingly misinformed.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM
silenus silenus is online now
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Just checking back in on this thread and still nobody is willing to defend Obama's actions.
Fine, I'll defend his actions.

Obama's action are justified and proper because they absolutlely drive nuts like you even further batshit insane. That's all the defense they need. If it bugs the living shit out of you, then I'm good with it.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Typo Negative Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

The outing of Valerie Plame was part of a program of disinformation and prevarication which led America into a very foolish war: a war which killed perhaps half a million Iraqis and degraded the lives of millions more, and led the U.S. to waste more than a trillion dollars.

"Small potatoes"? You, sir, are astonishingly misinformed.
Correction: more than a trillion dollars so far......

Last edited by Typo Negative; 06-21-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Mighty_Girl Mighty_Girl is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Leaf Point
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

"Small potatoes"? You, sir, are astonishingly misinformed.
He comes from a land of giant potatoes.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Just checking back in on this thread and still nobody is willing to defend Obama's actions. They're good at comparing him to other people, and for that they get a smiley face sticker, but nobody is willing to defend his hypocrisy. Am I to assume that you all agree that he is a shameful hypocrite?

Do you think deception of this level should go unpunished?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
One of the major failures of President Obama's administration is his failure to prosecute wrongdoers from the previous administration.
The things you describe in the OP might be bad decisions or broken campaign promises -- or not -- but they do not rise to the level of "wrongdoing," and you fucking know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Do you think this is a good precedent to set? if so what recourse do I have as a concerned citizen against lies and lying liars in the executive branch?
Voting. You did not vote for W in 2004, I hope?

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-21-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
While in previous lives I voted for Lincoln and FDR, in 1912 I was a Debs man all the way.
Me too! Now there was a real American patriot!
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Obama may have outed secret information for political gain? He wasn't the first President to do so. The very nature of secrets makes it hard for ordinary citizens to form a sound opinion on specifics, but I'll say this: I disapprove of such politics on principle but might accept it if it serves the greater good of keeping the White House in rationalist hands.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Replying to such a question with another question is normal: One judges our leaders via comparisons. Thus, I ask you: What do you think of the outing of Valerie Plame by the Bush Administration?
And this.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
No, wait. I wanna be your Veep!

Here; I even wrote your campaign song for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya's campaign songwriter

Oompa Loompa doompity doo
I have got a puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doompity dee
If you are wise youíll listen to me.

What do you do when the Prez has been hit
With charges that he is a big hypocrite?
Pubbies and Dems are all in the same boat
Iím Inigo, prepare to vote

Fo-or me for President

Oompa Loompa doompity dah
If you are wise youíll choose Mon-to-ya
We can fix it, me and my crew
Of the Oompa Loompa doompity doos!
And do not ask about the Secret Ingredient!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
For the sake of argument, assume that he did leak info for political gain. What could the public do to hold elected officials accountable?
Vote. That's all. That kind of leaking is not an impeachable offense by any measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Small potatoes compared to other things they did and what Obama is doing now.
The Plame outing, OTOH, was an impeachable offense. If W had advance knowledge of it, that is, which he probably didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
A Libertarian candidacy is always a bad joke, even compared to Ralph Nader's.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 PM
River Hippie River Hippie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N.E. Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,467
When you look at Obama's opponent, (R)money,...how could you vote against Barack?
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
elucidator elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Well, once you go Barack, you can never go back.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
saoirse saoirse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Vote. That's all. That kind of leaking is not an impeachable offense by any measure.
I disagree, unless there were a candidate who promised not to do that. Romney certainly hasn't, and I don't think Johnson has either.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
I disagree, unless there were a candidate who promised not to do that. Romney certainly hasn't, and I don't think Johnson has either.
What's that got to do with this? Breaking a campaign promise, in and of itself, is never an impeachable offense.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-22-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
saoirse saoirse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
What's that got to do with this? Breaking a campaign promise, in and of itself, is never an impeachable offense.
Um, did I say it was?

Voting against a candidate for engaging in particular behavior doesn't accomplish anything if the other candidates are going to do the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
Um, did I say it was?
That is what you appeared to be referring to -- impeachment, not voting.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 16,823
I started a thread on "When will people realize that Obama is not a die-hard liberal?" a year ago. Apparently it's taking longer than I thought.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
magellan01 magellan01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Well, once you go Barack, you can never go back.
Interesting. Usually you're unfunny in an original kinda way. You may want to rethink this branching out strategy you have.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
elucidator elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
I will give your opinion all the consideration it is due.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I will give your opinion all the consideration it is due.
Which is still 100 times more than yours deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
BigAppleBucky BigAppleBucky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Does the original post assume facts not in evidence? Back when the Bush 43 administration was leaking stuff, it was traced back to Cheney and Rove. Has that been done in this case, or is it too soon to know?
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
elucidator elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Which is still 100 times more than yours deserves.
Nobody makes you read any of it, hoss. I'll get over it.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
I started a thread on "When will people realize that Obama is not a die-hard liberal?" a year ago. Apparently it's taking longer than I thought.
Don't flatter yourself. Der Trihs has been calling Obama a right-winger since... well, probably forever. Very few people have picked up on that, either.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
Does the original post assume facts not in evidence?
I'm still trying to figure out if we can refute it by proving that Obama is a shameless hypocrite.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
elucidator elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
No virgin ever gets elected Queen of the Whores. You want perfect innocence and honesty? Then you will elect someone utterly incapable of dealing with the opposition. You will vote for moral victory and political failure.

Further, you will have to get a pair of Counselor Bricker's Zircon Encrusted Parsing Tweezers to tease out the difference between hypocrisy and compromise.

He was the best I was gonna get, so I voted for him. And will again.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Obama has been a pretty-good president because of the economy (could be better, especially WRT the jobless rate and gas prices; but it could be a whole lot worse, considering we've been in a global recession/depression these past five years); and because of his immigration policy; and because of a whole lot of other things. But mainly because he makes RW fucktards and Libertarian shitheads like WillFarnaby scream and rage. Any POTUS they hate the way they hate Obama has got to be a good one.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.