The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: How do you think John Oliver compares to Jon Stewart as host of TDS?
I like him BETTER than Jon Stewart 21 18.75%
At his best he's as good as Stewart 44 39.29%
He's good, but he's no Stewart 29 25.89%
He's okay, but I'll be glad when Jon's back 11 9.82%
I don't like him, I'll be glad when Jon comes back 1 0.89%
I like big butts and while I probably can lie I choose not to on this particular topic 6 5.36%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM

Being a poll of perceptions as to the merits of Mr. John Oliver as compared to Mr. Jon Stewart

So how do you think John Oliver's doing as regent of The Daily Show?
Advertisements  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

They're pretty much interchangeable except that Oliver doesn't have Stewart's palpable "I've been doing this too long" aura. Taking a long break to do something else should be mandatory for every talk show host after X number of years. If Stewart comes back recharged, then great. If he comes back to the realization that he really doesn't want to do this for another 10 years it'll show pretty quickly. Then everybody can play musical chairs. Including the networks at 11:30.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I originally thought that Larry Wilmore should have filled in for Stewart, but I now realize that John Oliver is amazing and doing a great job.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM

I like him better than Jon, but that's because Jon was doing it for a long time. When he comes back I'll like him better than John Oliver.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I like John Stewart, but I don't recall him ever giving me a really good belly laugh. If he did it was on rare occasion. Jamie Oliver has pretty much made me laugh every damn time I've watched him as host. (I only catch the show 2 or 3 times a week due to scheduling.)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM

I haven't been watching TDS much lately, but based on what I've seen, Oliver is doing a good job.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 PM

What I've been most impressed with (because I knew he was funny and could banter with actors and comics) is his interviews with authors; he's as good as Stewart, and Stewart does the best author interviews of any major talk show host.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I think Oliver is better as an interviewer. Could be his guests, tho.

I think he's too loud, though. He gets excited and yells. I like the mellowness of Stewart (except his Jerry Lewis bullshit. Wish he'd stop that.)

I like John Oliver and I'll probably be a fan forever (I listened to The Bugle for a while a couple years ago) but I'll be glad to have Jon back.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 PM

I used to not be a fan of Oliver and thought he could be a little schticky. I'm not sure if he's improved or my perception has changed or both, but I'm now a big fan of his work.

He's doing a great job hosting, and, while I don't think I'll be lamenting Jon Stewart's return, I know I'll be hoping Oliver gets more chances to fill in moving forward.

If you're enjoying his work on The Daily Show (and enjoy British snark / humor), I highly recommend checking out The Bugle, a podcast he cohosts with Andy Zaltzman. It's political / topical humor, but a very different format than The Daily Show and a lot more comic riffing. The last couple months haven't been stellar because Oliver's involvement has been diminished (guess why?), but it's overall a darn funny show.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM

I've always had an intense attraction to John Oliver, so that probably is responsible for my liking him more than Stewart. Stewart was my type maybe 15-20 years ago, so perhaps one day I won't care for Oliver either. I'm enjoying him while I can.

I wouldn't mind them alternating.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

John Oliver is more consistently funny, IMO. Stewart's peaks are higher. But they're both damn good.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 AM

Pros: The man has talent, can make me laugh, and although his style is different, it is an acceptable substitute for Jon Stewart. This means if Jon does ever leave permanently, the Daily Show is not sunk.

Cons: He tries to copy some of Jon's routines and mannerisms. He needs to be more himself, and not a doppelganger Jon Stewart. John Oliver is best when he's being John Oliver. He is good with the self-deprecation humor, but he's got to quit underselling himself. Stop telling us you're not as good as Jon, or we might believe you.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM

All comedians are insecure, but Stewart must be more secure than most to take this risk and not be threatened.

Johnny Carson used to have guest hosts, but do any other single talk show hosts? (By single, I mean unlike 'Regis and ____' or 'The View' style shows.)
Jay Leno famously refused to have a guest host when he succeeded Carson- NBC had already offered Rosie O'Donnell his 'primary guest host' gig but had to buy her out when he refused to use her.
I think I saw Paul Shafer host David Letterman once, but has he ever had a guest host?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM

I think Oliver is funny and sharp, no problem with him, but I like Stewart better. Stewart does dry and deadpan a lot better than Oliver does, or maybe with more of an American flavor. I'm looking forward to Stewart's return, but with no animus toward Oliver. Very similar to my feelings about Joel and Mike on Mystery Science Theater 3000 -- I like Mike better than Joel, but Joel is damn funny too.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of Oliver and I listened to the Bugle for a long time, but I have cut back, mostly because I hate Andy Zaltzman's unfunny shtick. He's awful.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM

My biggest concern is that Oliver will be recognized as good enough for his own show, and leave the Daily Show for greener pastures, somehow get canceled, and then we won't get to see him.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM

I like Oliver. He is very capable. I especially like how he handles disaster. The show when the power went. He handled that so well. The show when Stewart had cut himself and was sort of going into shock. He was there to take up the slack and did it well.

However, he doesn't handle being presented with nothing well. He tries too hard. Stewart will just travel through it with us and shrug and makes us appreciate "slow news" days.

I also don't agree that Oliver is a better interviewer. Oliver is perhaps the funnier interviewer, but Stewart is knowledgeable and aware of the points being made and usually has read the books the author coming on the show has written and grasps very subtle points being made.

Perhaps Stewart's biggest flaw (one that Oliver doesn't share) is his feeling that it is his responsibility as the shows host to educate as well as entertain his audience. His shows featuring economics and economists are wonderfully educational, but ponderously slow. Still they make very necessary points that we need to know.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM

I've enjoyed them both. I'd like to see the show expand to year round and on weekends, possibly with Larry Wilmore anchoring on weekends. It does trounce all other American news shows in thoughtfulness. And yes, that is really disappointing.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM

Oliver is going a better job than I thought he would, and at his best he's very good. And I think the writing has been on the average higher than before; perhaps the writers knew they had to step it up for him. But Stewart is a far better interviewer, and is much faster at picking up issues with his political guests and has more background with his show biz guests. But this is from years of practice, so you'd hardly expect Oliver to be there yet. In any case, it is still very watchable.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Jamie Oliver has pretty much made me laugh every damn time I've watched him as host. (I only catch the show 2 or 3 times a week due to scheduling.)
If Jamie Oliver starts hosting, that will be something.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

I like both of them, but Oliver has the edge right now becuase of the freshness factor.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM

This graphic about Oliver's interview with Reza Aslan has been going around on Facebook since it happened.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 AM

I think the material has been somewhat better. But it is unclear how much of that is because of Oliver. In pure delivery, they are both excellent. But I have grown rather tired of Stewarts repeat jokes after all these year. (Eg "I'm old and pulled a muscle".) That's not really fair for the comparison, I would probably have grown tired of Olivers jokes after that long also.

Another thing, and I guess this is a dangerous topic, but have anyone else noticed that they agree less with what Stewart is mockingly stating on the show? During the Bush years I found that he was always clearly right about the things he implied an opinion about. But that's not the case anymore, for me. And it makes it less good if they are mocking something using what I think is not a decisive argument or comparison.

Last edited by mr. jp; 08-03-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Also, Sampiro, as long as you include that final option on your polls, you will never get any opinion out of me about any of the other things.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Jamie Oliver has pretty much made me laugh every damn time I've watched him as host. (I only catch the show 2 or 3 times a week due to scheduling.)
As a comedian I think he makes a damn fine cook. He should get back into the kitchen and leave the comedy to Jon.

(I have no opinion on John Oliver's performance as it hasn't screened here)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've been impressed with John Oliver, but I've found most of his interviews to be fluffy, even for The Daily Show. I will say, tho, that I enjoyed the one with Reza Aslan.

But I loves me some Jon Stewart. He's on my short list of famous people I'd love to have dinner with. I think he's a very good interviewer, and he seems to be pretty smart. I'll be glad when he's back, but I'm also glad John Oliver has been filling in - he's quite good.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
If Jamie Oliver starts hosting, that will be something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliahna View Post
As a comedian I think he makes a damn fine cook. He should get back into the kitchen and leave the comedy to Jon.

(I have no opinion on John Oliver's performance as it hasn't screened here)
LOL, I'm such a dolt!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV time View Post
I also don't agree that Oliver is a better interviewer. Oliver is perhaps the funnier interviewer, but Stewart is knowledgeable and aware of the points being made and usually has read the books the author coming on the show has written and grasps very subtle points being made.
Really? I've been kinda sorta keeping track and I'm pretty sure Oliver has read the book for every interviewee that has been on. Stewart doesn't, generally (and often jokes about it). Dunno if Oliver could keep it up if he were made permanent host (that's a lot of reading, as some weeks they have several authors on), but I've been impressed he's been able to do it so far.

Anyhoo, I voted for Oliver. Stewarts just been doing this too long, and for the past year or tow it's really shown.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The show when Stewart had cut himself and was sort of going into shock.
I must've missed this, & so did Google. Elaborate please?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I think he's doing a great job and I'm enjoying the change of pace and the spin he's putting on things. I can imagine someone asking him to host a talk show if he wants to go in that direction. He hasn't changed the show all that much, really - not because I think he's imitating Jon Stewart but because the rest of the writing staff is still there and he's clearly working inside the TDS template Jon Stewart has established over the years. And I think he's been handed better material than he expected. Does anyone know how many more weeks or new episodes he's doing? Jon is back on September 3rd and I know there will be some more reruns in there.
Quote:
He is very capable. I especially like how he handles disaster. The show when the power went. He handled that so well. The show when Stewart had cut himself and was sort of going into shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
I must've missed this, & so did Google. Elaborate please?
The description is kind of overstated, but it was very funny.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
They're pretty much interchangeable except that Oliver doesn't have Stewart's palpable "I've been doing this too long" aura. Taking a long break to do something else should be mandatory for every talk show host after X number of years. If Stewart comes back recharged, then great. If he comes back to the realization that he really doesn't want to do this for another 10 years it'll show pretty quickly. Then everybody can play musical chairs. Including the networks at 11:30.
I actually find them to be quite different, but Oliver is doing a great job. His Daily Show is different than Stewart's Daily Show, but I like them both.

One thing Stewart has that nobody, absolutely nobody, else has, is is unbelieveable quickness. Oliver is quick, but not like Stewart. Colbert, same. And sure, I miss that a bit.

But Oliver is going a great job.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM

At his best he's as good as Stewart, but I have noticed that I'm less inclined to watch the show lately. I'm not sure, though, if it's not just what's in the news.