Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesCatLady
I love papaya - I used to grow it in my yard in Hawaii. Some people put lime juice on it.
Ah yes, but you see, that was the trick. It was Hawaiian papaya. That is hands down the best papaya I've ever had. It's smaller than the variety grown in Thailand, which is quite large. The stuff we have here I would not say tastes like ass, but it is often flavorless. Hawaiian papaya is the best I've ever found.

Pineapple, too.
Advertisements  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen
Your first papaya was in Hong Kong. This fruit is not grown commercially there and probably was picked and shipped in from Thailand or Malaysia several days before. Old papayas taste like ass.

Your second papaya was in Boston. You can imagine when that fruit was actually picked.

If you want a really good papaya, go to a farmers market in Hawaii and eat one. Not everyone likes them, but by trying a really fresh one, you'll give papayas a true taste test.
There, you see? There's some wonderful fruit in Thailand and Malaysia, some I'd never even heard of or seen let alone tasted until I came over here, but no one beats Hawaii for fresh papaya.

And pineapple. Although ... I've heard they don't grow pineapple in Hawaii any more. The big companies moved operations over here, because of cheaper costs? Can that be that true??
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
So just what are people talking about when referring to the taste of papaya being disgusting and comparing it to "ass"?
It's called "humor." It has a long and honorable tradition. You may wish to look into it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam
Pineapple, too.
Tastes like dump cake?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
Tastes like dump cake?
No, tastes like feet.

Nah, just kidding. Hawaiian pineapple is sweeter than what I've found over here.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat
Some of us don't have stool-encrusted asses, thanks. For example, some of us bathe.
Some of us even perch our bathed asses on jewel-encrusted stools!

My wife, who hails from a tropical country, loves papaya. I'd love to agree, but I have to side with the "vomit" crowd. Specifically, it's like overripe cantaloupe that smells of an infant's spoiled-milky/bilious puke.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Maybe it is the same hawaiian papaya that is getting praise here, but there is a variety of papaya that is very small, its shape more like a football than the regular zeppelin shape, its meat is very red. Its taste is very sweet and very different from regular papayas. Maybe those who are still willing to give papaya another chance could try to find this one.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Elephant Whisperer

That sounds like Hawaiian papaya. Shaped like a small football and very sweet. What we have over here is zeppelin-shaped and tends to taste like cardboard.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat
Uh, wow. I now know a lot more about your hygiene than I wanted to. Some of us don't have stool-encrusted asses, thanks. For example, some of us bathe.
How's a fellow supposed to get that good papaya flavor off of that?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
Otherwise, what are you referring to when you talk about what "ass" tastes like? Skin? Don't think that's what you mean. The original question above was referring to a disgusting taste that papaya has. It's comparing the taste of papaya to the taste of stool, don't kid yourself that it's not.
Relax, Walloon, I was being facetious.

You seem personally affronted by my insults to the papaya. So tell me, Walloon, are you perhaps a papaya? Don't be afraid of confession; we are a very tolerant bunch on this board.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Once while in the supermarket with my Bronxa Rican then-girlfriend I decided to be adventurous and put a papaya in the cart. "You like papaya?" she asked me, her big dark brown eyes full of doubt, grabbing a bag & filling it with limes. "I've never had it before" I replied. She prepared it in a salad with mango, pineapple and cantaloupe and lots of lime juice. I politely ate it but didn't enjoy it. I found that by holding my breath I wouldn't smell the dirty diaper and could enjoy the sweetness and comparitive firmness of the other fruits and the sour of the lime.

We never bought another papaya after that.

Now I can always tell when they have papaya in the groery store because the produce section smells like dirty diapers.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood
So, what's with all the papaya stands in every other streetcorner in Manhattan? Do they grow them in greenhouses there? Fresh daily shipments from Hawaii? New Yorkers like the taste of ass? Something else?
They're not "papaya stands"; they sell hot dogs

The name derives from the vaguely papaya-based fruit juice drink you can get with your 'dog, but there's a half dozen other options as well. Fresh pineapple juice, or pina colada juice, are the best IMHO.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam

And pineapple. Although ... I've heard they don't grow pineapple in Hawaii any more. The big companies moved operations over here, because of cheaper costs? Can that be that true??
Still lots of pineapple grown in Hawaii.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen
Still lots of pineapple grown in Hawaii.
Glad to hear it. It's the best I've found.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
I'd say it tastes more like vomit than ass.

But I still love it.
Same here. I never really had papaya until I vacationed in Mexico, and I distinctly noted the vomit taste and smell. I still loved it, though, like "wow, this is delicious...too bad someone barfed on it."

I got some the other day that tasted strongly like maple syrup. Papaya, vomit, and maple syrup. Weirdly enough, the maple syrup taste grossed me out more than the vomit taste.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM

As someone mentioned above, papaya really disappoints me. It comes in glorious tropical fruit salads, and it just isn't very good at all. I had some local ones in Costa Rica, and just didn't even eat it after a few tries.

OTOH, local pineapple is glorious. Sweeter than you can imagine it could be.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Its a pretty color, but to me it tastes like soap. I am also a "cilantro-soap-taster." I wonder if there's any connection?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM

[Sheesh...finally a topic I have a solid response for, and it's warped into a friggin' corprororophagia discussion...]

My family once had a papaya tree which I, despite never caring much for papayas, had to eat most of the products of on account of everyone else being on vacation. They were fairly small....slightly smaller than a softball, I'd estimate...and round, reddish-orange on the inside. And exquisite. I tell you, even some mangos had nothing on those papayas.

The reason for my initial recalcitrance, of course, was the few times I'd eaten store-bought papayas...y'know, the big yellow-orange gourd shapes. Some of them were just awful (the word I'd used is "plaster", although just about any buliding material will suffice). I'm pretty sure this was an unwanted effect of all the genetic manipulation needed to make them that big and abundant, although admittedly some of them may have been simply unripe. Properly ripened store papayas, although not comparable to those homegrown reddish-orange beauties, are pretty good.

In my experience, no fruit (with the possible exception of cherries) has a greater gamut of quality than papayas, and because of that, you're far more likely to get a bad papaya than a bad kiwifruit, banana, or even apple. So while papayas may not always taste like...whatever, I can forgive you for thinking that.

P.S.: If you're thinking of owning a papaya tree, be advised that it never stops growing, and cutting even part of it down effectively halts its fruit production. Have a tall ladder handy.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM

So what's the best way to choose a papaya, given that when they're bad they're really bad? Is it size, color, firmness, season? Is indication usually given as to their place of origin? What's the key?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
So what's the best way to choose a papaya, given that when they're bad they're really bad? Is it size, color, firmness, season? Is indication usually given as to their place of origin? What's the key?
mostly, luck. And trust in your source. Sorry. A confident seller will be willing to cut it open for you and show you that it is good. You will have to eat it that same day, of course.

The main issue I have found with papayas (the long ones) is that they don't ripen evenly. Soft spots or green hard sections are a clear sign that you will only be eating a part of your expensive chunk of tropicalness, so steer clear from those.

Other than that, it is really hit or miss. Colour is not much of an indicator, although don't buy a green one, of course. You do want it to be yielding yet firm, but that is no indicator that it will taste right. In the end, a crappy papaya looks and feels pretty much like a good one. If anything, interior colour is the best indicator. You want it to be as red as possible. Pumpkin orange is not good.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
I'd say it tastes more like vomit than ass.

But I still love it.
I agree. Seems like the ones I've been getting lately smell like vomit. But I like them with lime juice or lemon juice.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Incidentally, I appreciate the lime juice tip. I have some Thai friends who own a restaurant, and they are always giving me papayas. I'll have to try the lime juice thing.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW

P.S.: If you're thinking of owning a papaya tree, be advised that it never stops growing, and cutting even part of it down effectively halts its fruit production. Have a tall ladder handy.
Don't really need a tall ladder. At about 6 or 8 feet you'll notice small branches developing about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Simply cut the main trunk off above one of these branches and they will soon develop fruit. I've seen papaya plants with 8 "arms" all with fruit.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

In addition to lime juice, once in Hawaii it was served to me with blended macadamia nuts filling the hollow of the fruit. That was very good.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 PM

I love papaya and it doesn't taste anything like ass. I eat it nearly daily at breakfast. There are btw different types of papaya. Around here the commercially grown variety are maradol. They aren'y nearly as tasty as the criollo which used to grow everywhere but have been crossbred out of existence here.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke-
Incidentally, I appreciate the lime juice tip. I have some Thai friends who own a restaurant, and they are always giving me papayas. I'll have to try the lime juice thing.
Have them teach you to make somtum, or anything else they might recommend with it. I'm sure they'd love to.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
Have them teach you to make somtum, or anything else they might recommend with it. I'm sure they'd love to.
I'll ask about that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke-
I'll ask about that. Thanks for the tip!
When you do, you might want to pronounce it as somtam, with the "a" the same as in "father, and the "t" pronounced mote like a "d"." It's usually rendered on English-language menus as "spicy papaya salad." Really is quite good.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 AM

And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say. Like "scuba" or "muckluck" or bambino".

Also, I love the candied papaya. However, the response here has convinced me to stay away from the fresh stuff. No bumfruit for me!

Last edited by Love Rhombus; 08-11-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus
And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say. Like "scuba" or "muckluck" or bambino".
Or "kumquat."
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 AM

For the record, I have never eaten a papaya, nor have I placed one anywhere near my anal cavity.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus
And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say.
And "Hawaiian papaya" is just double the fun.