Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
A certain Republican president has no opinion on Roy Moore, but he does have a very strong one on Marshawn Lynch. Smokescreens as far as the eye can see.
You really, really don't want to see Roy Moore in beast mode.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
You really, really don't want to see Roy Moore in beast mode.
If Marshawn gets thrown out of the game for knocking that shit down, I will gladly pony up on his fine.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
"More women are sexual predators than men," Pastor Franklin Raddish told AL.com. "Women are chasing young boys up and down the road, but we don't hear about that because it's not PC."
I feel like I should move to Alabama. I could do with being chased up and down the road by lust-crazed womyn.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I feel like I should move to Alabama. I could do with being chased up and down the road by lust-crazed womyn.
I suggest you take a good look at what Alabama womyn look like before you do anything to hasty.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I suggest you take a good look at what Alabama womyn look like before you do anything to hasty.
On the other hand, no teeth.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I don't want to do anything to Hasty, I want to do it to Mary Jean.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM

Fuck.

Report: FCC chair to push for complete repeal of net neutrality

Quote:
The agency received millions of comments during the period thanks in large part to the efforts of comedian John Oliver, who urged viewers of his HBO show "Last Week Tonight" to show their support for keeping the net neutrality rules.
Yes, and they made it so insanely complicated. They really, really, really did not give a fuck about hearing from us.

Quote:
"We applaud FCC Chairman Pai's initiative to remove this stifling regulatory cloud over the internet," AT&T said in a blog post. "Businesses large and small will have a clearer path to invest more in our nation's broadband infrastructure under Chairman Pai's leadership."

Republicans in Congress also praised the proposal and the White House said in July that it supported the FCC's plan to end the Obama-era rules.
We are going to pay dearly for this.

And on a side note, if there is one asshole in the world I wanna punch, it's Pai.
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM

Great. I look forward to paying for 256Mbit DSL so that each page of the SDMB takes only two minutes to load. On a good day.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

If AT&T's top loons are praising a decision, that implies that it's monstrously bad.

Last edited by foolsguinea; Yesterday at 02:25 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

How exactly would such an act affect big non-ISP businesses? They can’t ALL get sweetheart deals or make their own ISP.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
How exactly would such an act affect big non-ISP businesses? They can’t ALL get sweetheart deals or make their own ISP.
Your ISP will decide what gets to you quickly and what gets lower priority. An ISP that has a cable/satellite arm will want to throttle hulu and netflix to “encourage” their subscribers to use their service. But, as the situation progresses, you might want to browse frys and best buy for a new TV, but if one is paying your ISP for priority, you will lose patience with the other because it loads too slowly. Hence, non-ISP businesses will end up being shaken down by the ISPs in order to stay competitively accessible.

Of course, when it gets to NBC vs. Fox, neither one better publish anything negative about your ISP or they might get blocked altogether. Or BigVend might pay your ISP to throttle bigvendsucks.org. The possibilities are disturbing. And probable.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM

You misspelled "dead fucking certain".
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Your ISP will decide what gets to you quickly and what gets lower priority. An ISP that has a cable/satellite arm will want to throttle hulu and netflix to “encourage” their subscribers to use their service. But, as the situation progresses, you might want to browse frys and best buy for a new TV, but if one is paying your ISP for priority, you will lose patience with the other because it loads too slowly. Hence, non-ISP businesses will end up being shaken down by the ISPs in order to stay competitively accessible.

Of course, when it gets to NBC vs. Fox, neither one better publish anything negative about your ISP or they might get blocked altogether. Or BigVend might pay your ISP to throttle bigvendsucks.org. The possibilities are disturbing. And probable.
Yeah, but there is a poster on here who mistakenly believes this will improve his video conferencing latency. So there's that.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, but there is a poster on here who mistakenly believes this will improve his video conferencing latency. So there's that.
I've noticed that there's no minimum cerebral capacity rule for messageboard membership...

Last edited by digs; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
And on a side note, if there is one asshole in the world I wanna punch, it's Pai.
When come back, punch Pai.
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Not quite what I asking; that stuff I’m already aware of.

What I was wondering was, do major companies all have their own ISP? It made sense, at least for tech companies, but I really didn’t know whether, say, the New York Times and McDonalds had their own.

It also made me wonder if the ISPs could and would use their powers over transmission regardless to extort money from industries for their use of the internet in business. “Sorry, use of VPN to connect to home will result in a bill.”

Additional questions: what “progress” were ISPs making towards internet dystopia before these rules came about? And if ISPs throttle based on content, will they be considered content providers, or de facto responsible for the content they let through unthrottled?
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Quote:
... And if ISPs throttle based on content, will they be considered content providers, or de facto responsible for the content they let through unthrottled?
Who's going to be able to prove the throttling or lack thereof?

Sure, it would be nice to think they'd refrain from throttling for fear of being subject to lawsuits (based on being held responsible for unthrottled content). But practically speaking, I can't see how that would work.

Quote:
Great. I look forward to paying for 256Mbit DSL so that each page of the SDMB takes only two minutes to load. On a good day.
At least we'll all be able to head over to /r/The_Donald for super-fast-loading pages. We'll be able to express all the opinions we express here, as long as they are sufficiently worshipful of the Dear Leader. Won't that be fun!

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What I was wondering was, do major companies all have their own ISP? It made sense, at least for tech companies, but I really didn’t know whether, say, the New York Times and McDonalds had their own.
The ISP that matters is yours, because that is the one that determines what you can reach. And not all ISPs are quite what they seem. My best friend was suddenly not able to send me e-mail because her ISP was using a large service that my ISP had blacklisted because it was a major spam relay. The obfuscated structure of the internet is apparently quite a bit more complicated than most of us even begin to realize.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Sure, it would be nice to think they'd refrain from throttling for fear of being subject to lawsuits (based on being held responsible for unthrottled content). But practically speaking, I can't see how that would work.
It's worth noting that most of the major ISPs have already been accused by large numbers of people of throttling certain content, in particular torrent traffic and Netflix. They usually just take the official position that they aren't doing it, and only knock it off when they get large amounts of bad publicity.

Once net neutrality is axed it's guaranteed they'll all do it, admit they do it if pressed, and shrug their shoulders and say "Everyone else is doing it, and it's legal. If you don't like it, you don't have to subscribe to our service. Monopoly you say? Not at all.. you could always switch to dialup."
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The obfuscated structure of the internet is apparently quite a bit more complicated than most of us even begin to realize.
Who knew that an internetwork of billions of computers could be so complicated?
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Anyone with the right tools. I assume you've never used traceroute (Linux/Mac/other Unix) or tracert (Windows)? There are other tools that let you see other connectivity details. Used from hosts distributed across the net you can get a pretty full connectivity picture.
Old Today, 12:43 PM

Perhaps this belongs elsewhere, but, Nebraska. They were working on routing Keystone XL, and this was observed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siting Application pdf (pg 3)
… Commission shall not evaluate safety considerations, including the risk or impact of spills or leaks from the major oil pipeline …
which is kind of troubling in light of the recent large spill in SD.

(emphasis in the original document, not added)
Old Today, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Who knew that an internetwork of billions of computers could be so complicated?
It's just a series of tubes!
Old Today, 01:40 PM

Tubes or not tubes, that is the question...
Old Today, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this belongs elsewhere, but, Nebraska. They were working on routing Keystone XL, and this was observed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siting Application pdf (pg 3)
… Commission shall not evaluate safety considerations, including the risk or impact of spills or leaks from the major oil pipeline …
which is kind of troubling in light of the recent large spill in SD.

(emphasis in the original document, not added)
We don't care about no stinkin' safety considerations! Safety considerations are for wimps & liberals (same thing ).
Old Today, 03:11 PM

Roy Moore's communications director has resigned, but he won't say why.
https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/roy-mo...bruptly-quits/
Old Today, 03:20 PM

Texas state Representative caught sending dick pics to somebody. Warning: The link includes censored shots of the gentleman.
http://news.groopspeak.com/top-repub...still-married/

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; Today at 03:20 PM.
Old Today, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Texas state Representative caught sending dick pics to somebody. Warning: The link includes censored shots of the gentleman.
From here.
Quote:
Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
Must be one of them thar sanctity of marriage types.

Last edited by running coach; Today at 03:31 PM.
Old Today, 03:50 PM

odd that the article describes the source (receiver of the sexts) as “he/she”
Old Today, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Fuck.

Report: FCC chair to push for complete repeal of net neutrality

Yes, and they made it so insanely complicated. They really, really, really did not give a fuck about hearing from us.

We are going to pay dearly for this.

NY AG probing ‘massive scheme’ to influence FCC with fake net neutrality comments

Quote:
Schneiderman said in a tweet his office has been investigating a "massive scheme" over the last six months to "corrupt the FCC's comment process on net neutrality by impersonating 100,000s of real Americans."
The FCC made sending comments on the issue so ridiculously and purposefully difficult so as to discourage real comments. Were it not for John Oliver's shortcut and instructions, I would never have been able to find it.
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"
Old Today, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I just thought of a great way to keep from eating too much tomorrow.
Old Today, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
I just thought of a great way to keep from eating too much tomorrow.
Looking at a turkey neck does much the same thing.
Old Today, 06:13 PM

Pope's Nose