The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Carrie Fisher already looked and was terrible in "The 'Burbs" (1989)

Horrible 80s garbage that I just watched with regret: The 'Burbs. (If you're going to say this was good, are you going off nostalgia or have you seen it recently?!)

Before I say some uncharitable things, I think Carrie Fisher was a great actress up to and including Return of the Jedi. She was really pretty, and her spunky style was a big part of what made the Original Trilogy a success.

(K, niceness over... Though the above *was* sincere.)

But... it was already well known at least pretty soon after the OT was done that she was heavily into drugs and general hard living, and she does seem to have a cocaine glaze on her eyes in some OT scenes.

When she was doing press stuff for The Dumbfuckery Awakes (sorry, terrible *terrible* movie) in 2015, many people--scratch that *everyone* made mention that Carrie Fisher looked terrible *terrible* for her age. And some SJWs pissed and moaned about how there was a double standard for men and women (not really) and it was misogyny to say that she looked liked warmed-over death and blah blah. But really, she looked horrendous and also seemed quite odd, mentally. And then, soon after, to everyone's shock but really to no one's surprise, she actually died. (And, being nice again for a moment, I think it would be hellish to have a heart attack on an international flight and have no where to go and then basically die on the plane--*and* be revived, only to die in the hospital. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. )

But how she looked and seemed in 2015 would have been less surprising had people remembered how she looked and seemed in The 'Burbs in 1989. I had never seen this movie and hadn't known what Fisher looked like until she floated up like a bloated corpse, suddenly, on the sea of Star Wars fame. I was thinking, "Oh cool, how nice to see Carrie Fisher back in her hot, talented days. I hope this movie is good!"

It was not to be, in any dimension.

When the movie was released, she was barely into her 32nd year, but she looks 40, easily. And she was sleepwalking through the whole thing and adding absolutely nothing to it, perhaps taking away from what little there was in the first place. She seems genuinely fucked up.

Yes, I know that she was bipolar and was probably self-medicating and all that. It's genuinely tragic. And I am being a dick writing about it in this way, but I mean, I was really shocked seeing the movie and I had an ah-hah moment about how she seemed in 2015 and how people, collectively, were unaware of just how early she got messed up. So I just thought I'd share that.

Thoughts?
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM

"When Harry Met Sally" was released that same year (1989) and I thought she was great, and looked good, in that movie. So I don't think her "decline" was a continuous one - likely had ups and downs.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
Horrible 80s garbage that I just watched with regret: The 'Burbs. (If you're going to say this was good, are you going off nostalgia or have you seen it recently?!)
I saw it again 5 or 6 years ago. It's a bad movie, but a harmless, very-mildly-amusing-in-a-few-parts bad movie. A step above unwatchable dreck. I can't defend it much, but I have no antipathy towards it .

Quote:
When the movie was released, she was barely into her 32nd year, but she looks 40, easily.
If she looks 40, it is an attractive 40 as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac262 View Post
"When Harry Met Sally" was released that same year (1989) and I thought she was great, and looked good, in that movie. So I don't think her "decline" was a continuous one - likely had ups and downs.
Interesting. Yeah, it seems she was pretty erratic. Also, some people may just disagree with my perception of her in 'Burbs. But I actually was expecting her to look and be great, so it's not as though I was rooting against her going in.

Last edited by Aeschines; 03-20-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Okay, I'll be the first to say it: The 'Burbs is good. Even though it had only one Corey.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Yes, had she actually been 40, she would have looked fine for that age.

I think it's also hard to judge how bad she seems from still photos. She looks a lot worse in her close-ups, and she genuinely seems out of it, mentally. The sparkle that was still there in RotJ is gone.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thoughts?
Is this about Fisher or about Social Justice Warriors?

In various stills and clips from The Burbs, Fisher looks okay to me, though I hadn't previously realized how petite she was.

Time lapse compilation, for what it's worth. To me, she doesn't start looking "rough" until 2000, in Scream 3. Later films softened her up again, showing the value of good make-up.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Wait, the Burbs is a bad movie? Huh. I thought it was OK back when I saw it 20 years ago.

I know it is nothing super amazing, but I didn't think it was horrible 80's garbage.

I thought Funny Farm with Chevy Chase was way less funny, for example.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Okay, I'll be the first to say it: The 'Burbs is good. Even though it had only one Corey.
Annnd when did you last see it?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Annnd when did you last see it?
If I had to guess, probably more than 10 years. But I'm sure I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times. (Possibly even in the theater, but I don't remember.)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I think after The Lost Boys (1987) Hollywood started imposing a one Corey limit.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 03-20-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Holy fuck, that's terrible looking? I guess I'll go melt my face in acid or maybe just magic marker it black. Perhaps wear a bag with the word 'face' written on it if Carrie Fisher in The 'Burbs is the standard for old-looking-for-your-age terrible.

Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I think after The Lost Boys (1987) Hollywood started imposing a one Corey limit.
Such bans were made obsolete by the development of multiCorey computer processors.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
When she was doing press stuff for The Dumbfuckery Awakes (sorry, terrible *terrible* movie) in 2015, many people--scratch that *everyone* made mention that Carrie Fisher looked terrible *terrible* for her age.
I am really, truly surprised by this comment. Everyone I knew thought she looked great.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
I am really, truly surprised by this comment. Everyone I knew thought she looked great.
I think she looked old in The Force Awakens. Like close to 60 or something.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I think she looked old in The Force Awakens. Like close to 60 or something.
As if a woman close to 60 would dare show her face in public! Audacious.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Not so--The Lost Boys was the first of the Corey2 movies.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Not so--The Lost Boys was the first of the Corey2 movies.
And the best!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:24 PM

BTW, if you think Carrie Fisher looked bad in The 'Burbs, you should see her in Drop Dead Fred with Phoebe Cates.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
And the best!
I donno--License to Drive is pretty strong competition. And one scene from Dream a Little Dream. (Okay, I probably have more reason to like that scene than you do.)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
BTW, if you think Carrie Fisher looked bad in The 'Burbs, you should see her in Drop Dead Fred with Phoebe Cates.
Well, anyone would look bad in comparison to a young Phoebe Cates.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Drugs are bad, mmmmkay?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM

She had pretty short hair in a lot of those movies from 1989 onward. Short hair, so I have read on the internet, makes women look...more mature.

And the youtube time lapse went from Soapdish 1991 to Scream 3 in 2000. Pretty big gap, so yeah, there's the most notable difference.

For whatever it's worth, I enjoyed The Burbs and thought Carrie Fisher looked and acted fine. And I thought she was also fine in The Force Awakens.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
If I had to guess, probably more than 10 years. But I'm sure I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times. (Possibly even in the theater, but I don't remember.)
It was amusing. Not a great film, but it is worth watching.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
She had pretty short hair in a lot of those movies from 1989 onward. Short hair, so I have read on the internet, makes women look...more mature.
I was thinking exactly this ... the 'soccer mom' hairstyles that were starting to get popular in that time period aren't a good look for a lot of women, and I do think it makes her look older.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
When the movie was released, she was barely into her 32nd year, but she looks 40, easily. And she was sleepwalking through the whole thing and adding absolutely nothing to it, perhaps taking away from what little there was in the first place. She seems genuinely fucked up.
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Looking at the provided video, she looks exactly like a 32-year-old woman, albeit one quite a bit prettier than most women.

Honestly, I think you're hallucinating or something. Maybe the short hair and dated styles have you totally fooled (they can do that.) I find your assessment of her appearance totally mystifying.

It is perhaps the case that Fisher didn't put much effort into plastic surgery and such. Few Hollywood actresses haven't had work done. Fisher looks, at every age, no worse than the average person does at a similar age - again, bearing in mind she was strikingly pretty, but even accounting for that. The nice lady who lives across the street from us is about 50, and looks much older and less healthy than Carrie Fisher did at 60. The less nice lady who lives to our left looks like Ernest Borgnine at 60 after a weekend of hard drinking, and she's about 50 as well. Neither my mother nor my mother in law, both pretty ladies, looked any better at 60 than Fisher did. Lots of women in my office are in their 50s and none look better than Fisher - actually, there's probably 40, 45 women in my office and maybe two of them are as pretty as Carrie Fisher was at a similar age. You have a very warped sense of what relative ages look like, perhaps fooled by Hollywood trickery.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-20-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM

I had forgotten that she was in it, but looking at Google Images jogged my memory.

She doesn't look bad. Doesn't look 40. She just looks like a woman who isn't in her perky 20s.

I'd vote that this OP is why Hollywood actresses can't keep a career going past 30.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

When I saw The Force Awakens, her face did not surprise me, but her voice shocked me: as raspy as a chain-smoker, and she seemed to have picked up a New York accent. Snow White had become Maude.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Drugs are bad, mmmmkay?
Wishful Drinking has one of the best book covers of all time.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I saw it again 5 or 6 years ago. It's a bad movie, but a harmless, very-mildly-amusing-in-a-few-parts bad movie. A step above unwatchable dreck. I can't defend it much, but I have no antipathy towards it .

Ok...here i was expecting there to be some kernel of truth to the OP...but she looks amazing in those Burb pics so...WTF??

As for Force Awakens...I've decided that plastic surgery, to me, just makes a woman look even older. My brain associates it with age and it rarely, to me, helps.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Looking at the provided video, she looks exactly like a 32-year-old woman, albeit one quite a bit prettier than most women.

Honestly, I think you're hallucinating or something. Maybe the short hair and dated styles have you totally fooled (they can do that.) I find your assessment of her appearance totally mystifying.
It's also worth pointing out that she was playing the role of a suburban wife in The 'Burbs. I know it wasn't exactly cinéma vérité, but it did require her to be, and look, in character.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
But it had a Cory as well. So a cut-rate Two Corey movie.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 03-20-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM

And since we're indulging our shallow sides...am i the only one for whom the gold bikini did absolutely NOTHING??

It's not sexy!! Sexy requires context and being chained up to a space slug is the furthest thing from sexy.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Surely there are real women in your life. You know what they look like and there is no way you would think a 32 year old woman who looked like Carrie Fisher did in The 'Burbs was "terrible" and 'fucked up". I don't think you are being a dick, however. I think you may be writing with your dick, though.

I mean, HOLY FUCKBALLS talk about unreachable standards of beauty!
Well let's return to what I actually wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Sure, and there's the title too. But she looked terrible for her age. The hard living has clearly taken a toll. I do not think she was ugly in an absolute sense. That was the point I was making. I don't even think she was *ugly* in TFA. She just looked old and out of shape and unhealthy for her age.

As for other women who look bad for their age (cited by RickJay), well yeah. They exist.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Ok...here i was expecting there to be some kernel of truth to the OP...but she looks amazing in those Burb pics so...WTF??

As for Force Awakens...I've decided that plastic surgery, to me, just makes a woman look even older. My brain associates it with age and it rarely, to me, helps.
Carrie could have gone the Meg Ryan route. This is Meg now at 55. I think it was just about when she hit forty when she did that first thing to her lips and she hasn't stopped since. I wonder what the OP thinks of Meg's looks.

I agree about Carrie's voice. There were a lot of cigarettes and whisky in that voice.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I thought Funny Farm with Chevy Chase was way less funny, for example.
But his co-star makes that whole movie worthwhile!

Quote:
Holy fuck, that's terrible looking?!
No kidding! I clicked, and was not offended. Thought she was kinda cute in those stills.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
No kidding! I clicked, and was not offended. Thought she was kinda cute in those stills.
Again, guys, it's the *whole package* of how she seems in the 'Burbs, including her seeming really out of it. Had she *looked* exactly the same but had seem into the movie and was acting well, I would not have written the OP.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Sure, and there's the title too. But she looked terrible for her age. The hard living has clearly taken a toll. I do not think she was ugly in an absolute sense. That was the point I was making. I don't even think she was *ugly* in TFA. She just looked old and out of shape and unhealthy for her age.
How generous of you.

Dude, sometimes it's necessary to step back and admit you are wrong on a subject. Fisher looked fine in those pix from The Burbs, soccer mom outfits and all.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

In those stills from The 'Burbs, she does still look pretty good. But she also looks older than she ought to have, and she didn't improve with age.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
In those stills from The 'Burbs, she does still look pretty good. But she also looks older than she ought to have, and she didn't improve with age.
ikr?

By the way, maybe because it's 2017 and people smoke less and just look younger for their ages, but people in their early 30s look young to me, typically. I'm dating someone who is 35 who looks 28 on a bad day. I'm 45 and people typically think I'm 35ish.

I wrote a dickish OP and accept that I will get some flak, but Fisher just didn't look good for her age in that movie. *Not* ugly but not looking 32, even with Hollywood makeup and lighting to back her up.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Again, guys, it's the *whole package* of how she seems in the 'Burbs, including her seeming really out of it. Had she *looked* exactly the same but had seem into the movie and was acting well, I would not have written the OP.
She was a bad actress in a movie so we should not be surprised she looked old twenty years later? Well then, I agree. People do look older after twenty years.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
She was a bad actress in a movie so we should not be surprised she looked old twenty years later? Well then, I agree. People do look older after twenty years.
It was 29 years later. It's not so much that Fisher was a "bad actress" in the movie; she seemed messed up, addled, off, elsewhere, etc. That had the effect of making the performance bad, yes, but I would contrast the situation with that of a healthy person engaging in "bad acting."
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM

I don't think this is having the effect of making the OP appear to have been written less dickishly.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM

I Netflixed it about 2 or 3 months ago, after not having seen it since VHS.

It was ok. Not a horrible movie, but not what many would consider OMG! funny today. I don't think it was meant to be that kind of film. It seemed to have a sarcasm towards movies running as an undercurrent throughout it, imho. Not "dark" but definitely not a light comedic touch either. 6.5 ranking for me. (Actual IMDb ranking as of today is 6.9. I just checked.)

YMMV! OBVIOUSLY on the SDMB, YMMV - BIG TIME. Seriously, has it ever been any other way on this message board?

As for Carrie Fisher, she looks fine, imho. Compared to certain other actresses though, she looks rougher. Seriously. She DOES indeed look a little like the next door MILF that drinks and smokes an awful lot.

As for her performance in this film, I thought she was the weakest link. Maybe she was just phoning it in or something. I liked the pizza delivery guy better.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM

Ha! Look what the web has:

100 reasons why The 'Burbs is the best movie of all time
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientHumanoid View Post
It's no Dragnet.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I don't think this is having the effect of making the OP appear to have been written less dickishly.
"This" being which thing?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 PM

The most important thing is that the Pizza Dude saved the day.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
"This" being which thing?
Any of it. What was your point? To trash a marvelous woman who had a hard life, did a lot of drugs, took responsibility for ALL of it, and died? Way to go. You're such a prince.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM

It's been awhile but I thought The 'Burbs was decent enough to be a favorite on our video store rotation when I worked there in the 90's and Carrie Fisher was awesome even when she lived hard and aged normally. End of Story.