The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-20-2017, 04:07 PM

Confused about cotton bedding.

Has anyone tried to get good cotton comforter and had it be sandy or not of good quality? How do you shop for sheets and comforters and make sure it's not a waste of money? I like them to be smooth and soft but not flannelly or too warm.

Apparently thread count is not a guarantee of anything. Egyptian cotton may not be what it implies.

Most products are coming from China or India. I just got a comforter and sheets in the mail from india. 1000 thread count, and 100% egyptian cotton supposedly. The label is not specific though and doesn't remind me of a label attached to a good product. I'm going to give it a wash and see.

I'm wondering if it would be less risk to just buy a microfiber covered comforter. It's smooth and I have already had one.

I have seen great material on things at Goodwill, but in wrong size, color, condition etc. But if you try to shop for one on ebay it's a minefield of variables.

Last edited by drad dog; 03-20-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:25 PM

I have found good quality sheets at CostCo at good prices. Not sure if that is available to you or not. They will ship.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

IKEA. Online, good quality.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 PM

I'm interested in the differences among sateen, combed cotton, egyptian, percale, and what thread counts mean if anything. If anyone knows this stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Here's an article I came across recently about thread count, and why 1000-count really isn't.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I buy my bedsheets from Lands End and have been happy with them. I started to order from them when extra-deep fitted sheets were hard to find. Other brands had sheets with pockets so shallow that the fitted sheet came undone before morning. Deep pocket sheets are more easily available now, but I still order from Lands End.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

If you want really soft, silky feeling sheets that wear more quickly, get cotton sateen.

If you want crisper, cooler, tougher feeling sheets that feel like they will never wear out, get cotton percale.

Higher thread counts tend to be softer, but as the link above points out, beyond a certain point it really doesn't make a difference.

Sheets are very subjective. I like a good cotton percale, and don't need anything above about a 250-300 thread count. According to the reviews of my favorite sheet set, some people think they feel like sandpaper or plastic.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Thanks for this thread, drad dog. I have the same problem. I’m not super picky about it (my sister-in-law is like the princess and the pea with sheets – they’re seemingly all too rough/slippery/warm/etc) but I do like just a nice, soft, fresh material and am often marginally disappointed with what I buy. Price point doesn’t seem to be a guarantee that they won’t be sandpapery (though does have a definite impact on longevity), and as you mention thread count seems practically meaningless. I hope to glean some wisdom from this thread!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Has anyone tried to get good cotton comforter and had it be sandy or not of good quality?
Sandy? Like beach sand?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie View Post
Thanks for this thread, drad dog. I have the same problem. I’m not super picky about it (my sister-in-law is like the princess and the pea with sheets – they’re seemingly all too rough/slippery/warm/etc) but I do like just a nice, soft, fresh material and am often marginally disappointed with what I buy. Price point doesn’t seem to be a guarantee that they won’t be sandpapery (though does have a definite impact on longevity), and as you mention thread count seems practically meaningless. I hope to glean some wisdom from this thread!
I'm with you. I can't stand warm sheets, nor sandpapery sheets. I always was OK with poly cotton blends. I washed my new 100% egyptian, 1000 thread count, cotton sheets and comforter yesterday and it's just unacceptable. I wonder how we can go to the moon but not be able to get OK bedding for any amount of money. They came from India.

I have started buying sheets at goodwill, and I have a lot of them now, checking out the labels for clues. But I need a new comforter. The best names in the western world are very expensive and don't seem to know that people would like variety in color and thickness. I'm starting to think of going to microfiber. It's what I have now and need to replace. LL Bean doesn't sell this item anymore though. Shopping on ebay for this takes hours and hours.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 PM

I feel like I've lost this battle. I've found no reliable way to identify if sheets or comforters will work for me. Even if you are buying them in store and able to touch them it doesn't give a good indicator of what they'll feel like after washing them. None of the labeling information seems to matter, thread counts have become a meaningless term.

My most recent set of sheets were from Costco and while not perfect I'm much happier with them than the previous purchases.

My comforters are all getting ratty but I've been failing at finding replacements, eventually I'll have to buy something. I expect to be disappointed.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since this is looking for personal experiences and opinions, let's move it to IMHO (from GQ). Factual information about bedding is of course still welcome in this thread.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 PM

I don't buy sheets if I can't feel them first. It helps to feel just one layer of the sheet--when they're folded in the package, sometimes they feel okay, but they're not so good if you just feel one layer. My favorites right now are bamboo--they're soft and a bit warmer than cotton. Very cozy.

If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's, those are good places to get good quality sheets cheap. Target has some good sheets, too.

There is a downside to having nice sheets. It does make it harder to get out of bed in the morning.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM

A couple months ago I bought a new mattress and got so frustrated trying to choose sheets that I just ordered the cheap microfiber set for about $20 from Amazon. They are are very soft and very thin – they sink into the seams in the mattress pad. They are also surprisingly warm, which may be a problem when the weather warms up. I don’t hate them, but I don’t really like them.

I am currently thinking about trying linen sheets. They’re expensive but apparently last a lifetime and are warm in the winter but cool in the summer. Anybody have any experience with linen sheets?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Too words: Egyptian Cotton.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Two better words: Irish linen
Old 03-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Would that be the $15 dollar sheets that say 'Egyptian cotton' or the $400 dollar set? How do you identify the difference between good quality Egyptian cotton sheets and the knock off that includes 10% cotton from Egypt and still calls their product 'Egyptian Cotton' The term has become meaningless.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Go back a few posts. I just bought a whole set of it and it's garbage. Try googling egyptian cotton for the reasons.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM

I used to struggle with all the variations, too. Seemed like a crap shoot if your sheets would wear well or get sandpapery after washing. Some would shrink very badly, too. It didn't seem to matter if they were cheaper or somewhat more pricey.

I finally gave up and paid a wad of money to try out some Wamsutta Dream Zone sheets. They're 100% ultra-fine cotton, high thread count, and they have a sateen finish. They're crisp and smooth at the same time. They wear very well and don't pill up or get rough or flannel-y after washing. Now I'm addicted to them and have them on both beds in the house. My only fear is that they'll stop making this high quality sheet and I'll have search for an equivalent using trial-and-error again.

It's yet again an example of getting what you pay for. Yes, they cost more. But I've had them a few years now and they're not wearing out a bit, so you have to factor in the cost of replacement.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I have found good quality sheets at CostCo at good prices. Not sure if that is available to you or not. They will ship.
This. I have about 6 sheet sets and the best are the two sets I have from Costco. They are cool, crisp, and smooth. The edges don't tend to wrinkle up like some other sheets I have. Pretty sure these are the ones:
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100070104.html

They go on sale a couple times a year.

Comforters are another ball of wax. You might want to look into a duvet and cover as an option.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
Would that be the $15 dollar sheets that say 'Egyptian cotton' or the $400 dollar set? How do you identify the difference between good quality Egyptian cotton sheets and the knock off that includes 10% cotton from Egypt and still calls their product 'Egyptian Cotton' The term has become meaningless.
The $400 kind, though I buy them on sale for 50% off. I'm a big believer in investing in quality mattresses, pillows, & bed linens since I will spend at least 1/3 of my life in bed. I love my bed more than I love most people.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The $400 kind, though I buy them on sale for 50% off. I'm a big believer in investing in quality mattresses, pillows, & bed linens since I will spend at least 1/3 of my life in bed. I love my bed more than I love most people.
Sounds like you agree that "egyptian cotton" is not a qualifying phrase by itself.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
This. I have about 6 sheet sets and the best are the two sets I have from Costco. They are cool, crisp, and smooth. The edges don't tend to wrinkle up like some other sheets I have. Pretty sure these are the ones:
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100070104.html

They go on sale a couple times a year.

Comforters are another ball of wax. You might want to look into a duvet and cover as an option.
I have a warm apartment. I'm looking for a thin comforter, and no more than that. Isn't there shift when you use one of those covers?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Thread count just tells you how thin the thread is.

What is more important is whether it's a sateen weave or a percale weave.

In my experience, a sateen weave (4 over 1 under) is more comfortable.

A percale sheet generally has a plain weave (over-under every thread) and is somewhat rougher.

YMMV.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

For the summer I like a crisp 300-count percale. Winter will be bamboo or cotton flannel or sateen. If you're looking for a not-too-warm blanket, something like a woven cotton is nice, or sometimes I just use a flannel top sheet over my sheets.

StG
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Thread count just tells you how thin the thread is.

What is more important is whether it's a sateen weave or a percale weave.

In my experience, a sateen weave (4 over 1 under) is more comfortable.

A percale sheet generally has a plain weave (over-under every thread) and is somewhat rougher.

YMMV.
I think thread count is something that gets manipulated and cheated. There are ways to make it higher with very bad product.

I would love sateen or percale. But try looking for a comforter with your favorite look and feel with it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:14 AM

There is a website called SweetHome that tests and provides recommendations for home items. Rather than weighing the options, Consumer Reports style, they aim to provide on single recommendation that represents the best value for most people's needs. They are my go-to when buying anything.

I believe they review both cotton and linen sheets, as well as duvets. I do want to note that they were disappointed with the longevity of all of the linen sheets that they tested. Apparently they don't actually last forever these days.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you agree that "egyptian cotton" is not a qualifying phrase by itself.
Correct
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM

For me it is 100% cotton percale all the way. I have been getting sheets from Macy's. I tried a set of Liquid cotton which felt wonderful but were, to me, just too thin. I prefer a heartier sheet and found it in percale. I once bought a set of 1000 thread count sheets and they were like canvas. Very thick and uncomfortable.

I have a King size bed and any sheets/comforters for it are expensive. Since I have a little dog that sleeps in my bed I can't have anything quilted that has a lot of exposed threads because he get his nails caught in the threads. I searched out and found an old timey 100% cotton chenille bedspread which is great. It does shed and creates a lot of lint when laundered but I can live with that.

The struggle is real though regarding finding the right products.

Last edited by Buttercup Smith; 03-23-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
There is a website called SweetHome that tests and provides recommendations for home items.

I believe they review both cotton and linen sheets, as well as duvets. I do want to note that they were disappointed with the longevity of all of the linen sheets that they tested. Apparently they don't actually last forever these days.
Thanks for that great website -- I bookmarked it for future use.
http://thesweethome.com

The do have reviews of both cotton and linen sheets with a great deal of useful information. I don't think they were disappointed in all the linen sheets, only some of them -- good news that the ones high on my list from Rough Linen get a good review.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I have a warm apartment. I'm looking for a thin comforter, and no more than that. Isn't there shift when you use one of those covers?
A little, but there are ties on the inside to keep it mostly in place. I think you can get different "thicknesses" or warmth levels. Ours isn't that thick and we add a thermal blanket in the winter. I've never been too concerned with the material of our comforters or duvet covers since I'm really only touching the sheets.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I think thread count is something that gets manipulated and cheated. There are ways to make it higher with very bad product.
Higher doesn't mean better. Higher means the thread is thinner.

A quality sheet will have a thread count of anywhere from 200 to 500, i.e. that many threads per square inch.
Anything above that point means they've taken threads and twirled them together to, essentially, make the "threads" thicker.

So something with an 800 thread count will actually have coarser threads than a 500 count.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM

With regard to the duvet/coverlet we bought a light wool blanket from Pendleton and in the cooler months put a cotton coverlet over the top. It breathes and is very warm despite being light.

We have had really good luck with Calvin Klien's sheets as well as bamboo and microfibre. On a king size bed they aren't cheap but they have also lasted us many years, especially f you folllow the washiing instructions. When we shop we look at deep pockets, thread count, weave (Percale is our preference), price, 100% cotton (Also tend to prefer natural fibers, micro and bamboo rayon notwithstanding), and lastly feel. It's the combination overall that works. You may also want to look at Gluckstein as well. They have some gorgeous sheets!