Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I own my own business, a sole proprietorship. There are few perks to my situation, but one is that I can wear whatever the fuck I want. And I do.
You are a true American Rebel. Such built up hatred for society who thinks that men dressing nice is a positive thing.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

GQELITE33, replace all of your uses of "dress" with "language" (with other substitutions as appropriate).

Now tell me why your judging by dress is more important than my judging by language. Your language is not awful, i.e. illiterate, but I would judge it as slovenly. I downgrade you for it. How do you respond?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM

I love how GQ is unwavering in his quest to convince us that we are slobby lonely assholes quietly quaking in fear as we move through life, whenever not wearing a suit. Also, it seems that "people" as contemplated by him are all men. I'm pretty sure he has never considered the suit as women's attire... apparently women are all cocktail-dress wearing arm candy when he thinks of them at all.

Dude, simmer down.

What's funny is how this thread dovetails the "things men do to impress women but really just make them look like assholes" thread. Loudly proclaiming your stylishness and leadership qualities, spending loads of time on grooming and talking about grooming, casually dismissing women... yeah, it's all here. So, OP, do you have a loud sports car or conspicuously expensive sedan? One whose price you "accidentally" mention on every date? Please, please tell me you do.

Last edited by Hello Again; 10-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM

I agree with you.

But this topic is about a mans style , not how well he uses proper English.

P.S. Wigs on men were not used as a fashion statement.

When showers were scarce, men shaved their heads to banish lice. Wigs were easy to clean, could be taken off before bed, kept the sun from burning your scalp, facilitated hairdressing and may have even repelled ticks, mites and other vermin.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQELITE33 View Post
You are a true American Rebel. Such built up hatred for society who thinks that men dressing nice is a positive thing.
I don't hate society, but they can MTOFB as far as my dress is concerned. I'm clean.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I don't hate society, but they can MTOFB as far as my dress is concerned. I'm clean.
You know what? I agree with you. You worked hard to own your own business and if you want to sit in your office with your boxers on, you have every right to do that.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Five reasons why young men should dress sharp
1957 called, they want their list back.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Five reasons why young men should dress sharp

Image is very important. A young man who dresses sharp gives a strong image to which people will be attracted to and will strive to maintain this attention.
You sound just like an article from GQ or Maxim. Either you've ripped it from one of those rags or you write for them.

I don't think you'll find a very receptive audience here. Those magazines seem to be geared for celebrity-worshipping idiots who need to be told how to dress.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You know what? I agree with you. You worked hard to own your own business and if you want to sit in your office with your boxers on, you have every right to do that.
Briefs.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree with you.

But this topic is about a mans style , not how well he uses proper English.
We've thoroughly covered that aspect of a man's style by universally disagreeing with you on it. Now we're broadening the topic to cover other aspects of how men are judged. Your wearing a suit does not cover up your lacks in any other aspect of you as a total package; you are judged on everything.

Quote:
P.S. Wigs on men were not used as a fashion statement.

When showers were scarce, men shaved their heads to banish lice. Wigs were easy to clean, could be taken off before bed, kept the sun from burning your scalp, facilitated hairdressing and may have even repelled ticks, mites and other vermin.
Wigs were absolutely a fashion statement. Period. You can show this by noting that the poor, who had more functional reasons for wearing wigs, did not do so. Wigs were an upper class affectation, and appeared and disappeared in various times and various cultures, even when the same underlying sanitary conditions continued. You can also point to the deliberate shunning of wigs by many in the upper classes of revolutionary America in order to show their difference from the British aristocracy. The lower classes never wore wigs and so never needed to abandon them.

In the broader sense, any mode of dress will become a fashion statement for those who are obsessed by fashion, as you are. It doesn't matter if the object is a suit, a wig, knee boots, a watch, a tie, sneakers, sweatshirts, leisure suits, or eyeglasses. Anything and everything will sooner rather than later be turned into fashion. Dressing down is also a fashion statement, therefore, and a perfectly legitimate and equal one.

In addition, repeating the same argument over and over at longer length is not a winning strategy. It doesn't work for young men, either.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
2012 called. They wanted to know why you dress like a bum and don't care?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
We've thoroughly covered that aspect of a man's style by universally disagreeing with you on it. Now we're broadening the topic to cover other aspects of how men are judged. Your wearing a suit does not cover up your lacks in any other aspect of you as a total package; you are judged on everything.

Wigs were absolutely a fashion statement. Period. You can show this by noting that the poor, who had more functional reasons for wearing wigs, did not do so. Wigs were an upper class affectation, and appeared and disappeared in various times and various cultures, even when the same underlying sanitary conditions continued. You can also point to the deliberate shunning of wigs by many in the upper classes of revolutionary America in order to show their difference from the British aristocracy. The lower classes never wore wigs and so never needed to abandon them.

In the broader sense, any mode of dress will become a fashion statement for those who are obsessed by fashion, as you are. It doesn't matter if the object is a suit, a wig, knee boots, a watch, a tie, sneakers, sweatshirts, leisure suits, or eyeglasses. Anything and everything will sooner rather than later be turned into fashion. Dressing down is also a fashion statement, therefore, and a perfectly legitimate and equal one.

In addition, repeating the same argument over and over at longer length is not a winning strategy. It doesn't work for young men, either.
Dressing down is considered the bum look. Do you like looking like a bum or a million bucks? The choice is yours.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM

I'm a director at Fortune 500 company over 3 orgs in our trading organization. I don't wear a suit because I don't feel like it. I'm still in charge

Some of the VPs wear suits, some don't. Our CEO usually does, but not always. In general, nobody gives a crap.

eta: I did wear my camel hair blazer today, since it's chilly out and super comfy

Last edited by Darth Panda; 10-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
RealMeanRealStyle.com called, they want their list back.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
2012 called. They wanted to know why you dress like a bum and don't care?
2012 got my voice-mail. Message deleted.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2012 got my voice-mail. Message deleted.
Actually, I've got them on ignore, but I didn't defriend them on FaceBook yet. Their posts are a little political right now but I'm guessing that will settle down soon.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
OK, so is a plagiarizer in a suit more respectable than a casual, but clean original writer?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

I have been blue collar most of my life. When I put a suit on I feel like the whole world is looking at me saying that guy is just not a suit guy. I have worn dress casual to all my high school reunions but one. Each year I was a bit underdresed as 90% it seemed were wearing suits. I fianly decided to wear a suit to one and have it tailored to a nice custom fit so I wouldn't feel so out of place in it. I felt great putting it on and wearing it. Turns out this was the first year the guys didn't wear suits, but I still felt great.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
Stealing somebody else's words is the only way he won't get judged on his own failings.

Stay stylish, my friend.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM

GQELITE33, do you work for Men's Warehouse or something? I don't get what your motive is.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Stealing somebody else's words is the only way he won't get judged on his own failings.

Stay stylish, my friend.
The reason I posted that info from that website was to show to you men on the board that real professionals share the same outlook on style as I do. Just so you didn't think I was odd or something.

Know what I mean?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Dressing down is considered the bum look. Do you like looking like a bum or a million bucks? The choice is yours.
If that is true than Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, McKinsey & Co., Microsoft, and JP Morgan Chase, among others, seem perfectly content to let their employees look like bums. And, when many of these employees want to see what a million bucks looks like, they don't play your little dress up game and then go look in the mirror - they go online and check their bank account balances.

So please, either humor us and provide us with some tangible examples of how your refusal to embrace the casual dress code that is currently the norm at many of the most successful and prestigious corporations, law firms, consulting firms, and investment banks has enabled you to achieve an even higher level of success and prestige. Otherwise, stop embarrassing yourself with your unsubstantiated and redundant posts which, as you can see from nearly all of the replies from your fellow dopers (who represent a very diverse range of careers and levels of achievement), have little basis in reality. Maybe your mom thinks that you look handsome and all grown up in your new suit, but keep in mind that it's her job to say that. Stop letting it go to your head.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about you keep it simple.

Follow your companies dress code. Simple as that.
That's pretty easy. Those that don't follow their company's dress code are probably made well aware of that by their company's management. I have no idea why you think this point has any relevance to your OP.
Quote:
If you go to a five star restaurant, dress like you are at a five star restaurant.
If the five star restaurant allows casual dress or even shorts and t-shirts than dressing as such IS dressing like you are in a five star restaurant. It's very obvious to others here that your opinion is that they should dress the way YOU think they should, not the way the establishment deems. You might do better to lament over relaxed dress codes by establishments than to try and goad patrons into following your lead.
Quote:
Dress the Part. The end.
Maybe "the part" isn't defined the way you choose to define it.
Quote:
But it doesn't hurt to have your own style, if its positive and you look good doing it.
If your style is to look like a bad-ass mofo then this advice fails
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The reason I posted that info from that website was to show to you men on the board that real professionals share the same outlook on style as I do. Just so you didn't think I was odd or something.

Know what I mean?
You are on a message board which endeavors to fight ignorance. Recognizing your sources is highly encouraged here and goes a long way towards assisting your argument.

Not providing cites can backfire on you and get you suspected of plagiarizing.

That said, your source is sponsored by retail clothiers so you'll have to forgive us if we think that there is a bias in the article.

And I find it funny that the two subjects at the top of the article are dressed business casual and both wearing blue jeans.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Just so you didn't think I was odd or something.
Horse is outa the barn, dude.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
You sound just like an article from GQ or Maxim. Either you've ripped it from one of those rags or you write for them.

I don't think you'll find a very receptive audience here. Those magazines seem to be geared for celebrity-worshipping idiots who need to be told how to dress.
He doesn't even sound like GQ or Maxim though. GQ and Maxim, when they write about fashion, are all about trying to find something to say in a monthly magazine when men's fashion just doesn't change that much that rapidly. They announce every couple years that it's ok to wear sneakers with suits or that seersucker is great this summer even though it's great every summer.

GQELITE33 sound like the social media intern for Today's Man.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
He doesn't even sound like GQ or Maxim though. GQ and Maxim, when they write about fashion, are all about trying to find something to say in a monthly magazine when men's fashion just doesn't change that much that rapidly. They announce every couple years that it's ok to wear sneakers with suits or that seersucker is great this summer even though it's great every summer.

GQELITE33 sound like the social media intern for Today's Man.
For example, GQELITE33 unwittingly thinks young men should dress like old men because it's the only way he can feel confident.

This month GQ is telling young men to deliberately dress like old men (geezers as they put it), and the tips include 1) don't be precious about your suit and 3) Sneakers go with everything.

Has anything GQELITE33 said implied he would do anything but freak out at the notion that sneakers go with everything and not being precious about wearing a suit?

http://www.gq.com/style/editors-pick...ng-men#slide=1

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop; 10-12-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Forgot GQ link
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM

In response to many of you who have attacked me for having an opinion, I would like to add I've never see so many people in one place who hate getting dressed up and showering on a daily morning basis. I find it sad that people think its too much work to do that. I Know that I have to give you some slack cause some of you who have replied obviously are in a way , savants. You are very smart in one area, but in many others including a social aspect, you are very ignorant or borderline retarded. I am sorry that I wasted today and yesterday talking about this. I'm obviously beating a dead horse here.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM

You keep bringing up showering. No one has given up daily showering; that's still the norm. You don't need to wear a suit in order to shower.

Fashions change, and suits aren't as fashionable (or non-suits as non-fashionable) as they once were. You think they convey a certain image, but to the mainstream, they often convey a different image than you think they do. Wear them if you like, but you're coming across in this thread and quite possibly in life more as stuffy and behind-the-times than as stylish and fashionable.

And no one in the modern world thinks not wearing a suit makes you look like a bum. (Well, except you, of course). Again, fashions change; that's the nature of it. There's nothing objectively good-looking about a suit (even though I'm sure you're about to argue that there is); that just happened to be the traditional attire for certain cultures for a while, and now it's less so.

Last edited by Indistinguishable; 10-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The reason I posted that info from that website was to show to you men on the board that real professionals share the same outlook on style as I do.
Do you know what the phrase "No true Scotsman" means?

I dress in nice suits very frequently, and I enjoy the quality of a tailored Hickey Freeman or Armani very much indeed. I feel great when I wear nice clothes. However, I do not believe that wearing an expensive suit makes me a leader, or in any way more of a professional than someone who does not. Beauty is skin deep and all that.

In my view, to honestly believe that showing off expensive stuff -- whether it is suits, watches, cars, or jewelry -- actually confers substantive legitimacy on a person is an exceedingly materialistic and narcissistic belief. One need only watch five minutes of reality television about wealthy, well-dressed people (perhaps the Real Housewives or those millionaire real estate shows) to find ample examples of people who are totally vapid and have meager life skills beyond maintaining a bank account, yet genuinely believe that their money and purchases validate everything that they do.

I totally get the pleasure of dressing nicely. It's a luxury that many people simply don't understand... or care about. But I wouldn't be so bold to make character judgments (e.g., who is the "real professional" or who is "borderline retarded") over how highly a particular person values spending money on clothes.

Last edited by Ravenman; 10-12-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
In response to many of you who have attacked me for having an opinion, I would like to add I've never see so many people in one place who hate getting dressed up and showering on a daily morning basis. I find it sad that people think its too much work to do that. I Know that I have to give you some slack cause some of you who have replied obviously are in a way , savants. You are very smart in one area, but in many others including a social aspect, you are very ignorant or borderline retarded. I am sorry that I wasted today and yesterday talking about this. I'm obviously beating a dead horse here.
[Moderator Warning]

GQELITE33, insulting other posters is not permitted in General Questions. This is an official warning. Do not do this again.

In any case, since you were evidently more interested in arguing a point of view, this thread was never really appropriate for General Questions. Given your last remarks, I'm going move this to the Pit.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Hey OP, how old are you?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I would like to add I've never see so many people in one place who hate getting dressed up and showering on a daily morning basis.
Ok, you've done this twice now. What does one have to do with the other? What is the relation between "dressing up" and "showering"? Do you think it's somehow physically impossible to wear a suit and not be showered? Or that the police will arrest you if you shower and shave nicely and then put on a t-shirt? What's going on here?

Quote:
I find it sad that people think its too much work to do that.
Point out anybody in this thread who has supported going out in public without showering. Quote them. I double-dog-dare you.

Quote:
I Know that I have to give you some slack cause some of you who have replied obviously are in a way , savants. You are very smart in one area, but in many others including a social aspect, you are very ignorant or borderline retarded. I am sorry that I wasted today and yesterday talking about this. I'm obviously beating a dead horse here.
Well I can't argue with the last sentence.

I would like to point out that you still haven't demonstrated in any way that your opinion on dress is the majority opinion, or even a popular opinion. You personally like to dress up. Fine. You personally like it when others dress up. Fine. So what does that have to do with the rest of us?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Last time I went to a funeral, around 8 years ago, there were plenty of people in suits, including myself. Has this changed?
Depends on the attendees, I suspect.

The last funeral I attended was this past spring, for the father of a friend of mine. There were probably 100 people in attendance, most of them the contemporaries of the deceased (which meant they were in their 70s and 80s). He lived in the far southwest suburbs of Chicago -- not the city, but not truly rural, either.

I would have expected that most men in that age group would still own a suit, but if they did, they didn't wear them -- other than the immediate family of the deceased, i was the only man in a suit. Most of the men were wearing sport shirts and slacks.

My father, who worked in the business world in the 1960s and 1970s, where a suit was simply the norm, and then worked in academia and as a business consultant for another 20 years, is now retired, and does not own a suit at all.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In response to many of you who have attacked me for having an opinion, I would like to add I've never see so many people in one place who hate getting dressed up and showering on a daily morning basis.
There you go with the shower thing again. People weren't attacking you. They were expressing their opinions just as you were.
Quote:
I find it sad that people think its too much work to do that.
None of my arguments in response concerned "too much work". You have repeatedly avoided addressing my statements. Are you incapable of refuting them?
Quote:
I Know that I have to give you some slack cause some of you who have replied obviously are in a way , savants. You are very smart in one area, but in many others including a social aspect, you are very ignorant or borderline retarded.
Well the good news is that this was moved to the pit where your condescending bullshit is allowed but easily identified as the tool of a somebody unable to adequately defend their argument.
Quote:
I am sorry that I wasted today and yesterday talking about this. I'm obviously beating a dead horse here.
Maybe you can salvage some of it by parading around in front of your employees while pretending that you have class because you wear different clothes than they do. Seems to work for a you.
Then tonight you can beat off while thumbing your way through some back issues of GQ.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Although more often than not, I see people wearing what I call "Deloitte casual friday". Black dress pants and a blue or white dress shirt from Brooks Brothers or Thomas Pink or wherever. Which is still pretty casual when compared to Wall Street of old.
And of course, in my old hometown's Main Street, that get-up is not even considered very "casual". Dress the part and dress the place.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 10-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The best way to show that others have the same outlook as you is to say, "Hey, others have the same outlook as me, here's a link to some of their opinions". Just posting their opinions unattributed makes it seem like they are your own (until someone does 10 seconds of googling).
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM

22 and female here. I own a pantsuit. It is for job interviews and court appearances. Nice classy dresses are for weddings, funerals and sometimes holiday parties. The rest of the time, it's strictly jeans, tshirts and work boots. I have a blue-collar job and don't go out to a lot of fancy restaurants, though.
My old man looks good in a suit and I appreciate him wearing it, if the occasion warrants it. Fancy clothes are for fancy occasions. If you wore a three-piece suit everyday, the specialness would wear off. Weirdly enough, the only people I know who wear suits everyday are borderline-homeless street musicians. Helps em stand out from the pack and there's a certain fascination with old-timey hobo stuff right now.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Don't go away mad. That was a clever 25 posts you had. Please come back and start another thread.

You set the bar high with this one though. I'll be expecting something way out there - filled with cut and paste bullshit.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Anybody else picturing this?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
A stylish well fitted suit will never go out of style. The only thing that goes out of style with suits is the color patterns.

P.S. The double breasted suit is not in style right now btw.
You do know that the second point in this post contradicts the first.

Last edited by gazpacho; 10-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazpacho View Post
You do know that the second point in this post contradicts the first.
As does the P.S., actually.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Know what I mean?
The negative response you've gotten is because you come across here like a total jerk. You're basically saying "anyone who doesn't think the same way I do about fashion is a loser/dork/etc". There are plenty of extremely successful people who have totally different ideas then you about fashion- why should I take your version over theirs? I don't like to wear suits- I don't have to at work- so what's wrong with that? Why do you insist on insulting people because of the way they dress?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
I'm picturing this.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
Nope, because (so far as I know) Barney never attacked anyone for choosing not to wear a suit. He just wears them and lauds their positive qualities.

That's why you're getting dumped on, by the way, OP: it's not because you like suits, it's because you're telling everyone who doesn't wear one that they look like shit and probably don't shower. Don't be an asshole.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Last time I went to a funeral, around 8 years ago, there were plenty of people in suits, including myself. Has this changed?
About 2 years ago, I went to Memorial service for dear fallen friend. The church was packed, had to have been at least a couple hundred people there.

I wore a suit. It was uncomfortable, but it was a solemn occasion. A lot of the men wore suits.

But there were more than few people who showed up in shorts and t-shirts. A couple in flip-flops, ferchrissakes. I'm pretty liberal, but I have to admit I was appalled.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM

When it comes to a job, I will dress as the job requires.

I was tech support for a firm selling medical sensors and software back in the nineties. I wore jeans and a t shirt. We had few visitors to the office, of those most were the Bill Gates type (Impress me with what you can do and I won't care what you wear). The boss (who owned the business) dressed in jeans and a t shirt 95% of the time. He made it clear that he was the boss because he knew every aspect of the business and got things done.

For a summer, I worked as an editor for Weird Tales. My boss was a former lieutenant colonel. He looked like Happy of the seven dwarves in khakis and a button down shirt. Besides exuding confidence and giving gentle guidance, when you really screwed up that man could be terrifying. I firmly believe he had the power to make marines wet themselves and could turn away a pack of wolves. He would be similarly inspiring or intimidating regardless of what he wore.

At weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs I will dress as the guest of honor would want. It's their day and they should get their way.

I met my last two gf's wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

My friend Michael is a metrosexual. He looks sharp whatever he wears. He is a living refutal of the statement that anybody in jeans and a t shirt looks like a bum.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Hey OP, how old are you?
Not old enough to project "alpha male" without props, apparently. It'll be a few more years before he realizes it's the man in the suit (or whatever he's wearing), not the suit on the man.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indistinguishable View Post
You keep bringing up showering. No one has given up daily showering; that's still the norm. You don't need to wear a suit in order to shower.

Fashions change, and suits aren't as fashionable (or non-suits as non-fashionable) as they once were. You think they convey a certain image, but to the mainstream, they often convey a different image than you think they do. Wear them if you like, but you're coming across in this thread and quite possibly in life more as stuffy and behind-the-times than as stylish and fashionable.

And no one in the modern world thinks not wearing a suit makes you look like a bum. (Well, except you, of course). Again, fashions change; that's the nature of it. There's nothing objectively good-looking about a suit (even though I'm sure you're about to argue that there is); that just happened to be the traditional attire for certain cultures for a while, and now it's less so.
Nothing good looking about a suit? Are you nuts?

Ever read GQ Magazine? They would highly disagree with you.

Also many others would disagree with you who are involved in fashion for a living. They would just laugh at you for making that comment. Now if you went into a dive bar and asked a bunch of hillibillies that question, they probably would agree with you. Because they have no class, no style, or teeth. They also think wearing a pair of blue pullovers for a wedding is acceptable. Please do not try to argue this point with me, cause you will lose. The only people that think the way you do are people who have no fashion sense. Anyone with fashion sense would laugh in your face. That is a fact and you can have all the brains in the world and still be ignorant when it comes to sense of style. T-shirt and jeans is not a sense of style. Do you ever see James Bond wear t-shirts and jeans? That answers my question.

Last edited by GQELITE33; 10-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM

I used to pride myself on my style. However, I lived in New York, where it's an appropriate mode of expression. Most places, today, dressing up for anything but a few well-defined jobs or events has become a sign of stuffiness or membership in a subculture (eg: you might get a pass if you're gay or Black).

Two other factors. One, we're a lot heavier today, and heavy people look extra foolish dressed up. Two, suits are made to be costumes, so they don't fit as well or last as long now.