Old 06-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

I love old photos.

Which is why my relatives dumped all theirs with me, so I have tons going back to tintypes and ambrotypes. No one knows who most of the oldest are anymore though, kinda sad.

I only have a few scanned, quality's not great. My maternal grandmother some time in the 1920s. About thirty years later. My grandmother's on the car hood and grandfather is the nut holding her feet. He was the mischievous one in the family by all accounts. The lady in the dark dress is grandmother's sister. The woman on the far left is my mother who passed away a few months ago. She was lovely and quite the fashion plate. I inherited none of that unfortunately.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

A very distant cousin of mine has a genealogy page for the Tillotsons. I have a different surname, as my father's mother descended from this line.

Photos and links to histories and photos here.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo Ostragoth
Chefguy and NinetyWt: both fascinating stories. Thanks for sharing.
Here's the capper: my great-great grandmother didn't die right away from the blow to the head. And she was pregnant. Before expiring, she gave birth to the child who was to become my great grandmother. Now that's a fateful event (for me, anyway).
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyr
I love old photos.

Which is why my relatives dumped all theirs with me, so I have tons going back to tintypes and ambrotypes. No one knows who most of the oldest are anymore though, kinda sad.

I only have a few scanned, quality's not great. My maternal grandmother some time in the 1920s. About thirty years later. My grandmother's on the car hood and grandfather is the nut holding her feet. He was the mischievous one in the family by all accounts. The lady in the dark dress is grandmother's sister. The woman on the far left is my mother who passed away a few months ago. She was lovely and quite the fashion plate. I inherited none of that unfortunately.
So, do you have that geeky hotness going for yourself?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy
Here's the capper: my great-great grandmother didn't die right away from the blow to the head. And she was pregnant. Before expiring, she gave birth to the child who was to become my great grandmother. Now that's a fateful event (for me, anyway).
Urk. Yeah I guess.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Not a great pic, but one of mine. The gentlemman in the upper left hand corner is my great grandfather.

Last edited by Eutychus; 06-16-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM

My g-g-grandfather in his GAR uniform is posted here. I have no clue who the people who sent the info in are (seems Stephen Nathan is distantly related), but I have that original picture in a frame. And the medals he's wearing, as well as his sidearm, buckle, spurs, etc.

I also have the original documents discussed on this page - they're typed on legal sized onion-skin paper. We had them photocopied and sent to the historian linked on that page to determine their accuracy (not very), and also sent a copy to the Jewish War Veterans, as Isidore was one of the founders.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Interesting how often the name Isadore (Isidore) pops up in ancestral stuff. Besides having an Isadore, our family also had a Christadore (sometimes called Christy Dory).
Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleAgain
This is my paternal Great-great Grandfather and his family. The young lady in the upper right is my great-grandmother Susie. This is what Grandma Susie looked like when she was old. As you can probably tell from the photo, she was half Native American, but I don't know what nation--just that her mom was from somewhere in the Northwest.
And after going to see my dad last night, I found out her mother was Polly Dawn Raincrow (also known apparently by a LOT of other names) and that her father was Norther Cherokee Minor Chief Joseph Raincrow, and that Polly Dawn was orphaned on the Trail of Tears. Huh.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleAgain
And after going to see my dad last night, I found out her mother was Polly Dawn Raincrow (also known apparently by a LOT of other names) and that her father was Norther Cherokee Minor Chief Joseph Raincrow, and that Polly Dawn was orphaned on the Trail of Tears. Huh.
Is that Polly in the bottom right of that photo, then?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyWt
Is that Polly in the bottom right of that photo, then?
I believe so, though I can't really say for sure. The only one I remember for sure is my great-grandmother, in the upper right, and her dad. My granny told me who they all were, once, but I didn't write it down. I read on a genealogy site earlier today that Polly Dawn was disowned by her family for marrying a white man.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Here's an ancestor of mine, whose pic I found on the web one day. Can't remember exactly how we're related. Apparently the family name Wilder is extremely common in the Karuk tribe, so I'd probably have to go look up tribal records to find out: http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=ETWilder.jpg
Old 06-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

My grandfather is on the left. Around 1915.