The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Today I saw an eagle

My son died 12 years ago. Today would have been his 45th birthday. I had a lot of trouble dealing with his death. I'd cry every day driving home from work. He died in June, by Feburary, I was still crying in the car.

On his birthday that next year, I, as usual, was barely able to see the road. I was stopped at a light a few blocks from home. Out loud, I said, "Michael, You need to do something to make me feel better." At that instant, a bald eagle flew across the street in front of me. It made me feel better.

Here, in the Pacific Northwest, we have eagles. They are mostly in the mountains, beaches and the outlying areas, not so much in the city.

This morning's eagle was in a tree right outside my living room window. It made me feel better.
Advertisements  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

pincnurse I admire how you have dealt with such a terrible loss. I'm so glad you had something to comfort you today.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:27 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your son. I'm glad you received some solace in the form of an eagle.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss, but what a beautiful legacy, flying on the wings of an eagle. (((hugs)))
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, picnurse. It's good that you can remember him this way, the image of an eagle in a tree outside your window is a beautiful and reassuring one.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for the hard road you've faced, glad you came out the other side.

Delighted you saw an eagle, because eagles are just awesome.

The First Nations culture believe, when you see an eye catching bird crossing your path, it's a messenger, or, possibly an omen. I always take notice, when it happens to me. I have had a similar experience as this, actually.

After my brother took his life, it was my dog that saved me. When I couldn't get out of bed, he'd come and put his goofy face up to mine. I could hear him saying, "Come on, let's walk! Come on, we'll walk, you'll feel better. Come on, come on, let's go walking!" So up I'd get and drag myself out into the cold, cold winter, avoiding the streets so we could walk, and I could weep.

The day came when I had to make a shift, months later, from the walking and weeping therapy I was on. So, off to the public park we went, me choking back my tears and wondering if it was too soon? I was just thinking to myself, "I wish I had a sign! Is this a forward move, or is it too soon?"

And, with that thought, there appeared a wild turkey. In the heart of a large city, in the core! And it followed me across the park! Yes I took it as a sign. It made me smile, completely distracting me and stopping my tears, just like that. And things got better every day, after that.

Those First Nations people knew what they were about, if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Sorry for the hard road you've faced, glad you came out the other side.

Delighted you saw an eagle, because eagles are just awesome.

The First Nations culture believe, when you see an eye catching bird crossing your path, it's a messenger, or, possibly an omen. I always take notice, when it happens to me. I have had a similar experience as this, actually.

After my brother took his life, it was my dog that saved me. When I couldn't get out of bed, he'd come and put his goofy face up to mine. I could hear him saying, "Come on, let's walk! Come on, we'll walk, you'll feel better. Come on, come on, let's go walking!" So up I'd get and drag myself out into the cold, cold winter, avoiding the streets so we could walk, and I could weep.

The day came when I had to make a shift, months later, from the walking and weeping therapy I was on. So, off to the public park we went, me choking back my tears and wondering if it was too soon? I was just thinking to myself, "I wish I had a sign! Is this a forward move, or is it too soon?"

And, with that thought, there appeared a wild turkey. In the heart of a large city, in the core! And it followed me across the park! Yes I took it as a sign. It made me smile, completely distracting me and stopping my tears, just like that. And things got better every day, after that.

Those First Nations people knew what they were about, if you ask me.
Thank you for sharing that. I felt a little self-conscious talking about the eagles. I'm truly amazed how well I coped today, after that. Even my husband, who treads very lightly on this date, commented on how cheerful I was.
I'm happy to know someone else has had similar experiences.