The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 PM

At Blizzard:

"Hey, you know what I really miss. Face Hunter."

"We can't make that a deck again. Everyone hated it."

"No really. We'll just introduce this "adapt" thing, and people will call it Midrange Hunter. But, really, all they'll do is go for the face."

"Great idea! Get on it!"
Advertisements  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Okay, are you going for memes or real discussion? Because current midrange hunter doesn't go face all the time, and certainly way less than old face hunter. Face hunter NEVER traded. Face hunter didn't care if he had a board. New midrange hunter does, and particularly since adapting a minion that can attack is way more valuable than adapting a minion that can't. I don't even think midrange hunter plays any minion that has charge.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Aside from Huffer, anyway.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

So after a few weeks, pirate warrior is the top deck and the only quests people are using are warrior, rogue, and maybe a little bit of freeze mage. For such a big idea expansion it didn't change the meta up at all.

Long ago I hesistantly sharded a captain greenskin and it finally found a use in pirate warrior and I'm a little sad I don't have it.

I'm thinking of crafting a taunt warrior deck.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Where I'm at, its mostly Taunt Warrior, some Pirate Warrior, Control Priest, Jade Druid, Elemental Shaman, Quest Rogue, Midrange Hunter and occasionally Aggro Druid, Dragon Priest, Miracle Rogue.

I actually prefer facing Pirate Warrior to Taunt Warrior, if I get blown out Turn 4 I get blown out, taunt warrior just goes on and on and on and they all boil down to a bunch of coin flips at the end.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitive..._23_metastats/

A timely article on the decks going around right now. A pretty varied meta, I must say. It's still early, of course, but much better than Pirate vs Jade vs Reno.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
So after a few weeks, pirate warrior is the top deck and the only quests people are using are warrior, rogue, and maybe a little bit of freeze mage. For such a big idea expansion it didn't change the meta up at all.
The return of midrange and control pally is pretty nice. Hand paladin is kind of beastly now, which is also nice. Hunter is new, taunt warrior is new... Really, the meta is quite varied.

Also, no mention of handlock? Because plant handlock is pretty neato.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 04-26-2017 at 06:49 AM..
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I haven't run into a single plantlock. I'm personally running silence priest, though, and I've run into others on the ladder as well
Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 AM

Yeahhhh... Plantlock sucks. Which is a shame, it's such a cool deck and I crafted all the cards for it.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Mage isn't dead. I managed to get to Rank 2 this month with this tempo mage deck (kinda wanted to push for Legend, but just don't have enough time).
Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 PM

Got to rank 5 with mid-range hunter, which is the first time I've been past rank 8 or 9 or so. Deck feels strong but not unfair; I pretty much wiped the floor with quest rogue, which was fun.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Did they change up arena rewards? Particularly 4-5-6 win runs seem to reward less.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:10 AM

I've been seeing a lot of success in Arena with incredibly greedy decks. Like, my last two decks were 7 and 12 wins respectively; both were light on early game and featured tons of lategame. The 12-win one in particular had two Vinecleavers, two Dinosizes, and a Lay On Hands for good measure - that's a ton of lategame value, and just over half of the 7+ cards in the deck. Dinosize is absolutely insane, FWIW, especially as a followup to Vinecleaver. Many classes struggle to clear that many 1/1s per turn. Lategame value kept clutching out wins, and I kept dodging tempo and aggro decks. So... yeah. Greed FTW.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 05-02-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Upcoming new features
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 PM

I'm pretty excited about the copy/paste for decks - which is a long time coming.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I just want proper stats. =(
Old 05-18-2017, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

I just drafted the best arena deck I've had in a year at least and only got 5 wins with it. Early on I lost 2 games where the other guy drafted ridiculously perfect. I had a lot of big minions and buffs in that deck, and the guy topdecked deadly shot twice in a row to kill my badass buffed minions on an empty board. The other one managed to adapt 2 poisonous minions on the board behind a taunt so that I couldn't drop my big minions. Ah well.

I got the rogue quest from a pack and spent too much dust on making a quest rogue deck (somehow I had no preparation even after all this time). It's pretty boring. I don't even really feel like I'm playing against another player. I either draw the right cards and win very quickly, or I don't, and lose quickly. There's almost no variation and it matters very little what the other guy does.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 AM

The Rogue quest is particularly obnoxious. My Priest deck can handle it most of the time, but it's just not fun to play against. I saw a Kibler video yesterday explaining everything that's wrong with it and some suggestions on how it can be fixed, but every suggestion is aimed particularly against Rogue quest, which I think is unfair to those who spent dust and/or money to create such a deck. To me, the solution would be obvious: create cards that interfere with quests in general, not just the Rogue one. For example:

Minion: Cave Troll, 3 mana, 1/4
Ability: Quests can't be progressed

Spell: Mud Slide, 3 mana
Effect: Decrease progress of all quests by 1.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

The problem with quest killers like that is exactly the same problem as quests themselves - it reduces the game to rock paper scissors. The quest killer cards won't be featured in any "normal" deck, and the decks that have quest killers will lose against non-quest decks.

Think of cards like the crabs, Eater of Secrets or Acidic Ooze. Unless the meta is completely dominated by quests, weapons or secrets, these cards never see play. When they do see play, they trivialise the matchup they are teched against.

The problem with Rogue quest in particular is that it's very binary and deck dependent. Either your deck wins or Rogue quest wins. There's no real counterplay. The rest of the quests give you lots of time to deal with them, and really none of the quests are even close to the problem that Rogue quest is. By making a quest killer, you're nerfing all the other quests even more, and not helping the problem of the rogue quest, since you're making that matchup even more binary. Frankly if you want a 100% winrate against rogue quest, just play pirate warrior or aggro druid - the win is almost guaranteed.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 AM

It's not that I want a 100% win rate, that's not what this game is about. In fact, it is actually a rock-paper-scissors game, and it should be. Guaranteed wins are boring by themselves and pirate warrior is just as obnoxious as quest rogue, as it hardly has interplay with your opponent either.

I'm not convinced by your reasoning for tech cards. I think these cards have some value on their own, even if they're not ideal against a non-quest deck. One is still a spell, and the other is still a fair body, both can be comboed. The fact that they target all quests was basically the point. It is unfair to create cards that target one specific deck, and even if you do, it will never see play for the reason you explained: it will be useless against all other decks. But cards like I suggested slow down the progress of quests. That wouldn't be much of a problem for slow quests, instead of turn 6 they complete it on turn 7, but it would impact fast quests more, evening out the playing field so to speak.

Whenever Blizzard decided to create new game mechanics, they should also think of cards to counter those mechanics. As of now they have a poor record of that.

Last edited by Aghris; 05-18-2017 at 04:14 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Ok, so let's run through the quests and their counterplay.

Mage Quest - power is limited by the need to run through random spells. Antonidas/Sorc version gets totally screwed by Dirty Rat.

Priest Quest - The quest isn't even a win condition...

Hunter Quest - Run him out of 1 drops and you win. Not much different from teching against normal hunter. Save board clears for post quest, almost all board clears can clear 2 health minions.

Warlock Quest - Warlock has to discard a LOT. He will rarely have the right answer for any threat (if he doesn't discard it first). Count the removal.

Druid Quest - You're on a long clock, similar to Jade druid. Keep a 5 health AOE or random destroy effect for Menagerie Warden on Stranglethorn Tiger.

Rogue Quest - You're on a short clock. Set Rogue to 15 health by turn 4 or you're dead.

Paladin Quest - Save a board clear or random destroy effect, remove minions to deny buffs.

Warrior Quest - Destroy effects are your friend. Count the brawls, then go wide. After Sulfuras he can't armour up any more, so don't trade unnecessarily.

Shaman Quest - Not much different from just playing against any Murloc deck, honestly. Just treat it as a Murloc Paladin with a countdown to a massive Divine Favor and save your board clears accordingly.

Honestly though, any Tier 3 deck and up can deal with any quest other than Rogue quest. The power of the quests just aren't that high, and give you valuable information on how your opponent wants to play their deck. And they give up their T1 play, so you get to take board control first.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 AM

I'm not denying that the Rogue quest far more powerful than the others, obviously it is. I'm just saying that the solution shouldn't be targeted to this particular problem only, but devise something that can be utilized in several different ways. And it's very likely that cards will come out in the future that make the now mediocre quests far more powerful. Having spells and minions that target the mechanic instead of a single card would help control that eventuality.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

New meta snapshot features a lot of mage.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Had some mage quests to do so I made a secret mage deck (from a vicious syndicate list, but pretty similar) - I don't have Pyros so substituted Bloodmage Thalanos, who isn't that great since you don't have that much burn.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 PM

ugh i hate playing against quest rogue. so boring watching someone play against themselves for 5 turns until they can run 5/5 pigs into you over and over
Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Was going to comment that I hadn't seen a quest rogue in weeks, but then I played 3 of them yesterday with my secret mage and burned them all down, all 3 on the turn after they played the quest.
Old Today, 08:26 PM

Rogue quest to be nerfed (up to 5 activations from 4): https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hear...ic/20757246514
Old Today, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Welp.

I'll be happy to get the dust for the golden one though. I've had quite enough of this deck for the next 2 years.
Old Today, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Well their whole quest system is a failure - the only one that sees play will get nerfed until it doesn't. Unless people play some sort of quest deck now - I'm really just playing to do my quests right now, I don't feel like I have any interesting decks available to me at the moment.