The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM
D18 D18 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
MacKeeper pop-up

The last several times I have visited the SDMB, I get a MacKeeper popup from morefastermac.club. Just reporting this per Ed's request in the stickied thread about malware.

I will land on the SDMB home page without incident, click on the forum of my choice, and then the morefastermac.club popup will appear as a separate window on my machine.

Browser: Firefox 51.0.1 64 Bit. Platform: Mac (in case that wasn't obvious). OS: Sierra 10.12.3.

The pop up looks pretty legit, so I'm going to download MacKeeper. Thank you so much for the chance to get this valuable application!
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is online now
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 17,905
Thank you. I forwarded the info to our admins.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Ed Zotti Ed Zotti is offline
Gormless Wienie
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
The last several times I have visited the SDMB, I get a MacKeeper popup from morefastermac.club. Just reporting this per Ed's request in the stickied thread about malware.

I will land on the SDMB home page without incident, click on the forum of my choice, and then the morefastermac.club popup will appear as a separate window on my machine.

Browser: Firefox 51.0.1 64 Bit. Platform: Mac (in case that wasn't obvious). OS: Sierra 10.12.3.

The pop up looks pretty legit, so I'm going to download MacKeeper. Thank you so much for the chance to get this valuable application!
What you're seeing is called a popunder. It appears the first time you switch between Straight Dope pages - the popunder appears initially, then the intended page opens over it. This is supposed to happen once per user per day. These ads are meant to get your attention (which they obviously do) but are less intrusive than some other approaches. In any case, they're not malware.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM
TimeWinder TimeWinder is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany/Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
In any case, they're not malware.
If it's not malware, MacKeeper is at least in an extremely grey zone. It (and its ads) have been the target of a number of lawsuits aimed at its ineffectiveness, false alarms, and highly deceptive marketing practices. This isn't the "Symantec Antivirus for Mac;" it's something much less obviously benevolent.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 03-20-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:37 AM
Charlie Tan Charlie Tan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
In any case, they're not malware.
Yes they are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM
D18 D18 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Thank you for the explanation, Ed. It actually was the fact that it was MacKeeper that made me think it was malware, as that's the only pop-unders I have gotten, so hopefully some ads with babes in bikinis will take its place soon!

Time and Charlie, I think Ed intended "they" in your quoted bit to refer back to "the ads" rather than MacKeeper.

Last edited by D18; 03-21-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Doug K. Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
Thank you for the explanation, Ed. It actually was the fact that it was MacKeeper that made me think it was malware, as that's the only pop-unders I have gotten, so hopefully some ads with babes in bikinis will take its place soon!

Time and Charlie, I think Ed intended "they" in your quoted bit to refer back to "the ads" rather than MacKeeper.
The ads are how it installs itself without the user's knowledge, as mentioned in Ed's first link.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
D18 D18 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Procrustus Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post
Thank you for the explanation, Ed. It actually was the fact that it was MacKeeper that made me think it was malware, as that's the only pop-unders I have gotten, so hopefully some ads with babes in bikinis will take its place soon!
Bikinis would be nice. I get smart pill pop-unders. I can't believe someone went to the time and trouble to put that ad together, and pay the SDMB for hassling us with. I'll eat my hat if even one doper buys that product in the next 12 months. Who comes up with these schemes?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
TimeWinder TimeWinder is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany/Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Bikinis would be nice. I get smart pill pop-unders. I can't believe someone went to the time and trouble to put that ad together, and pay the SDMB for hassling us with. I'll eat my hat if even one doper buys that product in the next 12 months. Who comes up with these schemes?
Obviously someone not using their own product, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by D18 View Post

Time and Charlie, I think Ed intended "they" in your quoted bit to refer back to "the ads" rather than MacKeeper.
So only some of them are malware.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
raventhief raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Got a pop up hijack again on my phone ( chrome )
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Clothahump Clothahump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
What you're seeing is called a popunder. It appears the first time you switch between Straight Dope pages - the popunder appears initially, then the intended page opens over it. This is supposed to happen once per user per day. These ads are meant to get your attention (which they obviously do) but are less intrusive than some other approaches. In any case, they're not malware.
I'll disagree with that, Ed. Anything that opens a window on my computer without my initiation of the opening is malware. And the SDMB should not be taking advertising from companies that do that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Baal Houtham Baal Houtham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Leaky Heart of America
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Bikinis would be nice. I get smart pill pop-unders. I can't believe someone went to the time and trouble to put that ad together, and pay the SDMB for hassling us with.
On my iPad it's the Smart Pill, and when I'm browsing with cookies turned off Smart Pill makes SDMB a painful, pissant little website. It's painful that it opens new tabs repeatedly, but its worst sin is that when I click on a SDMB link to an outside site my SD tab gets closed -- I have the Smart pill tab and the outside link. But no SDMB.

Hitting the back arrow on the Smart Pill tab will return me to the Dope.

Yeah, I've no right to expect a usable interface if I browse with cookies turned off, but of the dozen sites I frequent, SDMB is the only one that is seriously obnoxious to use without cookies. The browser will have 5 or 6 Smart Pill tabs open after 15 minutes of message board reading.

I can put up with it, but if I was visiting for the first time I wouldn't want to hang around.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.