The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The Game Room

Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Women's World Cup 2011, Germany Thread

Great start to the Women's World Cup today. German was strong as predicted, but give notice to a very pretty free kick goal from Canada's Christine Sinclair.
Advertisements  
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

By the way, could a mod please fix the typo in the thread title? Most appreciated!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 PM

How did Canada play against Germany? They said if they played close that they would be very happy. Was that the case?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
How did Canada play against Germany? They said if they played close that they would be very happy. Was that the case?
Not especially, in my opinion. The score was closer than the actual match.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Lauren Cheney's header into the goal against North Korea at 54' was a thing of beauty.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

USA 2-0 PRK. Should have been 3-0, though -- a goal was pulled back when the Korean GK faked getting a boot to the face. Replays seemed to show no contact, though.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Interesting matches today, with Norway and Brazil somewhat unconvincingly beating Equitorial Guineau and Australia, respectively, both 1-0 and seeming like they could have easily gone the other way.

Brazil has to be the favorites from that group, of course, but the commentators are, I think, correct in saying that a big theme this WC is that the difference between the favorites (Germany, Brazil, USA) and everyone else has narrowed dramatically. Wasn't it just 4 years ago that someone beat Argentina like 11-0 or something?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Ouch! Sorry, Canada. Is France that good or did the Canada side just utterly collapse?

I think Max is right about the more competitive atmosphere in the group play, despite today's results.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Nigeria hanging tough with Germany so far, 0-0 at halftime.

My new thing to pay attention to: how many names of national anthems will the ESPN broadcast get wrong in the on-screen graphics? So far they've failed on Advance Australia Fair (they had "Advance Fair Australia") and Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey (they had "Arise, Oh compatriots, Nigeria's call obey").
Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 PM

We're seeing a changing of the guard. The Nordic teams (excepting Germany, if that's Nordic enough for you) have really not impressed me, and I'm worried that England and the US might not get through the quarters. Here are the teams I've really liked: Japan, Australia, and France. Japan is great with their ball movement in tight quarters, but I suspect that goalie play and lack of height might hurt them deeper in the tournament. I'm really looking forward to France-Germany and England-Japan. Those are going to be revealing matches. I can't warm to Brazil for some reason.

As an American, I feel bound to support the US team -- but damned if I don't like the style of Les Bleus. Necib might be my favorite player of the tournament so far.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Weird that you thought the US might not make the quarter finals. Anyway, we made it handily, beating an outclassed Columbia today 3-0, and that score is closer than the actual match was. There's some very serious speed and talent on the US side.

Considering that Australia lost its first match to Brazil (which was not as close as the 1-0 makes it seem), I'm not sure why you're so impressed by them.

I agree about Japan and France, though.

England might still get knocked out, you're right about that. We shall see.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Weird that you thought the US might not make the quarter finals.
I didn't doubt that the US would make the quarters; I worried that they would lose in the quarterfinals. They looked strong against Colombia, but the Colombians lost practically all the physical one-on-one battles. Their next opponent won't be such a pushover.

I thought Australia looked good against Brazil. They moved the ball fluidly, and were generating scoring chances. They look like a team on the rise. Their next couple of matches should be interesting. Equatorial Guinea up next for them, I believe.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Ammoniac View Post
I didn't doubt that the US would make the quarters; I worried that they would lose in the quarterfinals. They looked strong against Colombia, but the Colombians lost practically all the physical one-on-one battles. Their next opponent won't be such a pushover.
Ah, I misunderstood. Indeed we haven't seen the US play against any quality opposition yet this World Cup. We shall see. I doubt the Sweden match will be particularly exciting, but you never know. For sure we'll need much better finishes when we face stronger sides, especially from Wambach.

I suppose you can argue that Australia played Brazil tighter than expected.

Last edited by Knorf; 07-02-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 03:50 PM
BANNED

I suppose you've seen the picture of American players saluting our servicemen stationed in Germany, and the HORRIBLE timing of the picture.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etv78 View Post
I suppose you've seen the picture of American players saluting our servicemen stationed in Germany, and the HORRIBLE timing of the picture.
No, can you link to it?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Why horrible timing? That area has a huge American military presence and a large part of the crowd was American military and their families.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
Why horrible timing? That area has a huge American military presence and a large part of the crowd was American military and their families.
The picture, taken in profile, makes it look like they are giving the Nazi salute.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The picture, taken in profile, makes it look like they are giving the Nazi salute.
I'm going to assume that is a joke. Because nobody in their right mind who actually saw it would think that. Oh, I get it, since the match is in Germany, everything must have some Nazi overtones.

I'm shaking my head and walking away from this one.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
I'm going to assume that is a joke. Because nobody in their right mind who actually saw it would think that. Oh, I get it, since the match is in Germany, everything must have some Nazi overtones.

I'm shaking my head and walking away from this one.
I didn't say it was a Nazi salute! All I said was: the timing of the picture, out of context, looks like a Nazi salute!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Every World Cup has its WTF officiating moment, and it would be hard to top today's (for those who didn't see it, an Australian shot hit the woodwork, caroming back to an Equatorial Guinea defender in the six-yard box...who caught it and held it for several seconds, before putting it on the ground for the keeper to pick up -- without any response from any of the referees). Australia mercifully held on to win, but I didn't think they looked particularly good in doing so. Nonetheless, I see them beating Norway. Norway looks like toast to me, and not just because Marta had her way with them.

And I'm feeling better about the Americans' chances either way.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM

I thought Australia looked good... aside from surrendering two goals due to comically bad defensive breakdowns. But their overall game and control was very solid. Granted, against a team they definitely should have been dominating.

It's a shame that there's almost no suspense at all in the final round of games. Australia vs. Norway is basically the only game being played for anything other than winning-the-group-vs.-coming-second. I guess Mexico can theoretically sneak past England, but it would take some truly preposterous swings in goal differential, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I thought Australia looked good... aside from surrendering two goals due to comically bad defensive breakdowns.
Well, it wasn't a defensive breakdown -- it was Uzunlar in both cases. Once, okay, it happens -- but twice? I'd take her out for the next one. But yeah, Australia-Norway should be good. My money's on Australia.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Well, unfortunately now we know the answer to the question: "Is it possible to have worse refereeing than the (men's) World Cup?"
Allowing Marta's first goal in Brazil-Norway was pretty bad, but could be just a mistake/bad angle/wanting to let them play. It's harder to excuse the referee in that game stopping to talk to a shaken up player without blowing the whistle, then looking up in surprise at the play still going on, and hustling to catch up.
I did like the espn column calling Marta's goal a "Maradona moment". Too bad it wasn't a pivotal goal, cause I was looking forward to Marta's 'hand of God' explanation in ten years.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But yeah, Australia-Norway should be good. My money's on Australia.
I think you're probably right.

What are the odds that Sweden vs. USA will be a snoozefest, 1-1 tie?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

England's goals today were simply gorgeous. Great finishes. They deserved to win the group, in the end, and proved it.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
England's goals today were simply gorgeous. Great finishes. They deserved to win the group, in the end, and proved it.
You can see them here. That report also states
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
With the tournament on the line, England was aggressive and played with passion throughout
What are these women thinking? That is not the English way. We are used to 41 years of exiting World Cups quietly.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

The France-Germany match was pretty wild, what with 6 goals and the French keeper sent off with a red card. Germany are the better side, but nice to see the relatively new-to-the-World-Cup French side really fighting.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

Australia 2, Norway 1. Australia go through to likely face the US, with Brazil vs Sweden presumably the other match (Brazil as expected beat Equatorial Guinea 3-0) (Brazil's first goal maybe the best goal of the tournament so far).

Australia v. Norway was quite a match. Australia just needed a draw, and had given up two goals to EQG basically on defensive goofs. So they go down 1-0 on yet another terrible defensive mistake by the same player. Then something like 30 seconds later they score a beautiful equalizer. A bit later, Norway gets a free kick and hits the crossbar. Then Australia go up 2-1 on a lovely header after some post-corner-kick hustle.

Sad end of an era for Norway, who were a dominant force in the early days of the WWC, runners up to the US in 91 and winners in 95. They fail to make it out of the group stage for the first time ever.

Meanwhile we've got Germany vs. Japan and England vs. France coming up out of the other two groups. Hard to see Germany losing, but England vs. France seems like a good one.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM

USA down 0-2 to Sweden at halftime. The US has generally had the better of the run of play and missed many opportunities, but had some defensive breakdowns, with a clearly correct PK call leading to the first goal, and an unlucky carom on a carelessly surrendered free kick leading to the other one.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Missed the last couple of games, alas. But before we leave the group stage, can I complain about the fraudulent Equatorial Guinea team? I know every squad plays games with player nationality, but this was ridiculous. Practically every EQ starter was a rental player from Brazil. And if you believe Wikipedia, Vania even violated FIFA's own eligibility rules. But it's probably generally true that EQ was playing within FIFA's rules, such as they are. But those rules need to be seriously tightened up if the national teams are not to become mere club teams, filled with players for hire.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
USA down 0-2 to Sweden at halftime. The US has generally had the better of the run of play and missed many opportunities, but had some defensive breakdowns, with a clearly correct PK call leading to the first goal, and an unlucky carom on a carelessly surrendered free kick leading to the other one.
I thought U.S. showed some surprising vulnerability in the back, a little impatience and poor touches in attacking from the midfield, and no luck at all finishing (plus zero mistakes by the Swedish defense). Sweden had another player in all alone and could have been 3-0 without a poor finish by Sweden and great save by Solo, but then again could have been 6-2 US with better luck and finishing by the US-- there were a lot of good crosses that were headed over the bar or caromed right to a defender.

US-Brazil is going to be interesting. I think playing off of Brazil is a big mistake, just like playing off the Brazil men is (or, as the hockey Bruins proved, playing off the Canucks); it just gives them time to pick you apart, but with the US back line getting burned like that, I wonder if the midfield will be aggressive.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
I thought U.S. showed some surprising vulnerability in the back,
The left side of the defense is very weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
a little impatience and poor touches in attacking from the midfield,
Lloyd has too many giveaways and too many crappy 30 yard shots. Boxx is looking old.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

As could have been expected, England loses to France on PK's. In a huge upset, Japan beats host Germany 1-0 in extra time.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Overtime of the Japan/Germany game is the only bit of the World Cup I've watched so far. Pity I'm a fan of Germany.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 PM

When the USA falls out against Brazil tomorrow we'll be guaranteed a first time winner of the event. Hopefully Pia Sundhage will also get canned. Of course the United States has never not finished in the top 4 of a WWC.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
When the USA falls out against Brazil tomorrow we'll be guaranteed a first time winner of the event. Hopefully Pia Sundhage will also get canned. Of course the United States has never not finished in the top 4 of a WWC.
I'm not quite as pessimistic as you are. The US has a strong team, they just need to start solid. If they fall behind they'll probably lose as they're not used to playing from behind, but if they get the first goal I think they'll take care of Brazil.

Whatever they do, they need to put Amy LePeilbet on the bench. A butcher could have played better. The foul that gave up the PK was bad enough, but the deflection was unforgivable. when you're acting as a wall you stand still. The deflection was entirely a result of a flinch. She would have been better off letting it go right by as Hope Solo was in good position. At that level you grab your junk (or cover your ovaries, as it were) and take one for the team. Period.

I'm also hoping that Abby Wambach has finally broken her run of bad luck with her (iffy) goal the other day. If she puts a few on net one is bound to go in.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Germany vs Japan was incredibly exciting. I was cheering for Japan on the general underdog principle, and nearly had a heart attack during the last 10 minutes or so. Amazing.

Now go Australia and USA!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Missed the last couple of games, alas. But before we leave the group stage, can I complain about the fraudulent Equatorial Guinea team? I know every squad plays games with player nationality, but this was ridiculous. Practically every EQ starter was a rental player from Brazil. And if you believe Wikipedia, Vania even violated FIFA's own eligibility rules. But it's probably generally true that EQ was playing within FIFA's rules, such as they are. But those rules need to be seriously tightened up if the national teams are not to become mere club teams, filled with players for hire.
I think they should use citizenship AND residency to determine eligibility. So if someone wants to play for the US they have to have US citizenship and maintain a primary residence here for at least one World Cup cycle.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Wow Sweden is absolutely smoking Australia 3-1.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 AM

US 1-0 on an own-goal. Good start.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Brazil is looking very rattled right now. Their keeper has saved them more than a few times so far.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Keep complaining Marta. Get frustrated and sent off.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM

First half: the own-goal was a good break for the US. They've had some good play, but they give the ball away a bit too much. Brazil has had some good chances as well, but Hope Solo has been standing on her head. She only made one mistake, but Brazil didn't make her pay for it, and she served notice that if you're coming into the box you're up for a good racking.

The US simply needs to keep the game at a medium pace and control the ball (a lot) more and they've got it locked up. If they give the ball away like they have been they'll be playing with fire, and inevitably they'll get burned by it. Then again, if they give the ball away that'll give me more chances to see Hope Solo, and I can live with that, too.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Well, that's a kick in the nuts. A red card? Really?

And Hope Solo saves it, and they called it back on bullshit, Hope gets a yellow card, and and brazil scores anyway.

FIFA cheats the US again. Again. What bullshit.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:58 AM

That was a fucking amazingly bad call to yellow Solo. She saved that PK fair and square, and to give them another shot at it was complete bullshit. Plus we're a man down. Insane.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM

And the US is STILL playing to win. Good on them after being robbed like that.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM

No kidding. I think they have more spark now knowing how Solo got screwed on that PK. I still can't even believe that whole thing happened the way that it did.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

That wasn't just a bad call, it was an intentionally bad call. The Aussie assistant ref who called it should be banned from now on.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM

I wonder if she will be if the US loses this game. This officiating is pretty abysmal.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfoxfyre View Post
I wonder if she will be if the US loses this game. This officiating is pretty abysmal.
I love Ian. "If you can figure it out please send in postcards"