The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
I'm 44, straight, and yeah, probably a couple of times an hour. Doesn't mean my libido is necessarily enormous, but it's never far from my thoughts. The only time it went away was when I had acute depression. And yes I do undress hot women in my mind. No apologies - it's in my nature.
Similarly, the only time it has really dropped off my mind for long periods has been when depressed and on SNRIs. That *really* affected things.

Beyond that there's no hard and fast rule. A few months back I could go a few hours without thinking about it. Right now I am in the situation where I have just started seeing someone (three weeks in after a six months or so flirting session where neither of us realised the other was interested) and I am pretty much having difficulty concentrating full stop.

37, straight.
Advertisements  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Law & Order doesn't normally send me to my bunk. Unless it's a Serena episode.
But even the news. Sure, they're reporting something completely non-sexy like a car accident or a bank robbery. But the reporter is somebody like Angela Hong or Nefertiti Jaquez and just like that, I'm thinking sex.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

The invasion of sexual thoughts into my mind, completely out of nowhere, was a pretty disturbing thing for me when I reached puberty. I didn't appreciate it at all. I didn't mind having sexual thoughts. But, hey, not in the middle of an exam.

After much monitoring, I finally put it together that if I had a sexual release, my brain would be completely free of invasive thoughts for about 24 hours. This is not to say that I am not capable of such thoughts. But, they are far more voluntary. I can focus properly on the day's projects.

It's far more than sex - It's an investment in sanity.

Digressing a little... A person's mind is far more a product of a person's biology than is believed by the average person. In fact, it is the mistaken belief that the mind and body are entirely separate that allows for such beliefs as ghosts and life after death.

Straight Male, 41 yrs old
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
But even the news. Sure, they're reporting something completely non-sexy like a car accident or a bank robbery. But the reporter is somebody like Angela Hong or Nefertiti Jaquez and just like that, I'm thinking sex.
No, not really the news. Somehow the nightly news manages to completely desexualize sexy women. But I did see a reporter on the street once, ready to tape a story, and... oh my.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM

I dunno. I disagree (respectfully) that if I notice a woman as being attractive, that that counts as a "sexual" thought.

Every time we see people, especially for the first time, we subconciously evaluate them based on various factors (grooming, choice of clothes, body language and moods) automatically.

If the OP is asserting that this counts, then a heterosexual male is havnig sexual thoughts about everyone, including other dudes, all the time!

Looking at a photo of a human that is just a "head shot", if I think she has too much lipstick, am I having a sexual thought? (After all, lipstick is just to make the mouth look like a vagina, right?)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
I dunno. I disagree (respectfully) that if I notice a woman as being attractive, that that counts as a "sexual" thought.
It counts as such in my survey.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
It counts as such in my survey.
In that case I have dozens of sexual thoughts every day. Especially when Sierra, Rachel, and Catherine walk past my office. Which is not often enough.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
I was really trying to concentrate on the projections for next quarter, but here is that puppy from accounting again !
Is it wrong that I think of one of the (male) interns here as "that puppy from accounting"?

Quote:
(After all, lipstick is just to make the mouth look like a vagina, right?)
Lipstick is to make the teeth look whiter.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
In that case I have dozens of sexual thoughts every day. Especially when Sierra, Rachel, and Catherine walk past my office. Which is not often enough.
I appreciate your flexibility.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Lipstick is to make the teeth look whiter.
Bullocks. Lipstick is used for the same reason as all other makeup. It's supposed to make the wearer appear more alive/healthy/youthful. The idea is that young women naturally have a rosey complexion, which they are enhancing artificially.

Personally, I have never liked makeup at all. I have actively discouraged all of the women in my life from using the stuff.

It was only after many years of such discussions that I was told a truth - which I am going to reveal here - Women don't try to make themselves more attractive (through dressing in certain clothes, wearing makeup, jewelry, etc) to attract a man. Let's face it - it really doesn't take all that much to attract a man. They go through all of the trouble - all of the ritual - to maintain their social position with the other women. In other words, it's about maintaining territory.

It's madness.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
But part of it depends on how we define sexual thoughts. If I see a hot girl, there's an instinctive "Wow, look at her!" that happens; and this can happen many times in a day. But for me these don't usually progress to actually imagining these women nude or thinking about sex itself.
This is what I came in to say. I get lots of daily WOWSIES but there's not a lot of coherent, intention-laden thought or detailed fantasies. Is it sexual? Hell yeah! Is it a "sexual thought"? Ummm... define your terms please?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I may be somewhat over the hill, but I'm still attracted to the lovely ladies. Constantly.

SWMBO sees me checking out a chickie and she just laughs. She says I remind her of an old hound dog on the front porch. The fire engine goes past with the lights flashing and the siren wailing, and I just raise my head and wag my tail. I *know* I'm supposed to get up and chase it, but it's just too much effort these days.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM

At 52, I think about sex maybe once or twice an hour-- more often if attractive women are around. I also have sexual dreams(not necessarily "wet dreams") pretty regularly. From age 14 to age 30 or so, I thought about sex almost constantly. Severe pain(emotional or physical) reduces frequency of sexual thoughts for me.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
I'm interested as well. If I may barge in, ThelmaLou, how far do these sexual thoughts go?

"The projections for this quarter... hey there comes Jane from accounting....nice ass... okay, the projections for this quarter" .

Or is it more along the lines of

"The projections for this quarter... hey there comes Jane from accounting....nice ass...hmnn, how would it feel to caress that ass all the way to....<imagination takes over for a few seconds>... okay, the projections for this quarter" .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trom View Post
The first, IMHO.
How is the first a sexual thought?

I'm beginning to wonder if the idea that men think about sex a lot more than women boils down to a difference in accounting. If someone asked me how many sexual thoughts I'd had a day, I'd add up the number of times a day I thought about sex, not merely the times I saw someone attractive or noticed that a fellow had an appealing body part.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
How is the first a sexual thought?

I'm beginning to wonder if the idea that men think about sex a lot more than women boils down to a difference in accounting. If someone asked me how many sexual thoughts I'd had a day, I'd add up the number of times a day I thought about sex, not merely the times I saw someone attractive or noticed that a fellow had an appealing body part.
For the purpose of my survey, it's a sexual thought if the thinker thinks it is/defines it as such.

For example, presumably a heterosexual man can look at a guy's ass and think non-sexually along the lines of, "nice ass, I need to lay off the Big Macs and get to the gym, 'cause mine doesn't look anything like that," which would be qualitatively different from the "nice ass" thought he has when looking at his sister's ass, his mother's ass, or the ass of the female flight attendant that is in his face when she reaches to hand something to someone sitting across the aisle from him (particularly if it's 1976 and it's a Southwest Airlines flight when all the "hostesses" wore orange hot pants).

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-03-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM

That's all fair enough (well, apart from the bit about looking at my mom's ass and thinking "nice ass"...), as long as we don't do a bait and switch.
That is, define "sexual thought" as broadly as possible then declare that all men think about is sex sex sex.

The thing is, I think sex and all the associated stuff is much more a brain off activity for guys. If you see a guy who looks kinda vacant because he's seen a woman with a great rack, it's not (I don't think) because he's thinking about what he wants to do with her boobs. He's not really thinking anything. He's in the moment, mesmerized.

Later on he may take a private moment to "reflect" on what he saw earlier.
Only then will he bother to fantasize.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I concur with the other men in this thread. Only pain, depression, or really intense creativity will stop me from thinking about sex. I mean, I have sometimes been sexually attracted to women I don't like. There was one woman I actively loathed and avoided if at all possible: she was the former boss of a friend, who wreaked havoc in the training department, fired my friend the trainer, and within a year had gone on to wreck other locations... but she was still hot. Male sexual attraction seems to be entirely separate from and unaffected by any other kind of like or dislike.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post

Personally, I have never liked makeup at all. I have actively discouraged all of the women in my life from using the stuff.
Well, aren't you a patronizing little so and so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
It was only after many years of such discussions that I was told a truth - which I am going to reveal here - Women don't try to make themselves more attractive (through dressing in certain clothes, wearing makeup, jewelry, etc) to attract a man. Let's face it - it really doesn't take all that much to attract a man. They go through all of the trouble - all of the ritual - to maintain their social position with the other women. In other words, it's about maintaining territory.

It's madness.
No, it's actually bullshit. Maybe that was the case for whichever woman told you this. It's not a general truth. Also lulz at the idea of a man "revealing" this like it's some arcane inner secret of womankind. People (yes even women!) have incredibly varied motivations for doing what they do, but if women were a hive mind, like you imply here, we wouldn't need some dude to speak for us.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That's all fair enough (well, apart from the bit about looking at my mom's ass and thinking "nice ass"...),
I would think a guy could take filial/familial pride in the fact that his mom is beautiful and takes care of herself and is in better shape than a lot of other moms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin
as long as we don't do a bait and switch. That is, define "sexual thought" as broadly as possible then declare that all men think about is sex sex sex.
I LIKE the fact that men think about sexsexsex. I'm all for it, and applaud it. It makes the world go round. (Ever hear of "lesbian bed death"?) I would worry (and wouldn't like it) if a guy didn't think about sex a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
I have sometimes been sexually attracted to women I don't like. There was one woman I actively loathed and avoided if at all possible: she was the former boss of a friend, who wreaked havoc in the training department, fired my friend the trainer, and within a year had gone on to wreck other locations... but she was still hot. Male sexual attraction seems to be entirely separate from and unaffected by any other kind of like or dislike.
This is the kind of anecdote I find really interesting. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I LIKE the fact that men think about sexsexsex. I'm all for it, and applaud it. It makes the world go round. (Ever hear of "lesbian bed death"?) I would worry (and wouldn't like it) if a guy didn't think about sex a lot.
Here's the thing men don't get: the Friend Zone.

A lot of women seem to feel sex is okay at the ends of the emotional spectrum. They'll have casual sex with men they have no emotional connection with and they'll make love to the man who's their soul mate. But there's this mysterious area in the middle where women don't want to have sex because they like somebody.

Men don't get that. We have no problems having sex with a female friend. Our desire for sex works in a direct linear relationship with our emotions: sex with somebody we have no feelings for is good, sex with somebody we like is better, and sex with somebody we love is the best.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 03-04-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
(After all, lipstick is just to make the mouth look like a vagina, right?)
I have yet to see a vagina (I think you mean vulva) with lipstick. I guess my sexual experience has been quite limited compared to some.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken "lesbian bed death" is a joke amongst lesbians for something that sometimes happens in their relationships and not some horrible fact of most or all of them.

It's sort of gross when straight people make the same joke. Just sayin'. And worse, you don't seem like you are even joking.

Quote:
But there's this mysterious area in the middle where women don't want to have sex because they like somebody.
Yeah, because men only engage in friends with benefits situations with other men. And in those rare occasions where it's with a woman, she's really just fooling herself. Right?

Last edited by AqualungBats5th; 03-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: second quote added
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

A lot of women seem to feel sex is okay at the ends of the emotional spectrum. They'll have casual sex with men they have no emotional connection with and they'll make love to the man who's their soul mate. But there's this mysterious area in the middle where women don't want to have sex because they like somebody.

Men don't get that. We have no problems having sex with a female friend. Our desire for sex works in a direct linear relationship with our emotions: sex with somebody we have no feelings for is good, sex with somebody we like is better, and sex with somebody we love is the best.
I think that IS definitely a difference between men and women. I think, for women, the Friend Zone means, by definition that there is no sexual attraction, although there may be love and affection (like for a family member).

Don't men ever put attractive, non-family women in the Friend Zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AqualungBats5th View Post
Unless I'm mistaken "lesbian bed death" is a joke amongst lesbians for something that sometimes happens in their relationships and not some horrible fact of most or all of them. It's sort of gross when straight people make the same joke. Just sayin'. And worse, you don't seem like you are even joking.
I meant no offense and I definitely was not joking. I was under the impression that it was a real phenomenon, though by no means a common one. My understanding (if you can call it that) was that in the absence of a testosterone-fueled libido, sexual activity can drop off over the years. Please straighten me out.

When a thread of mine goes on this long, it's sure to piss someone off, sooner or later.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Well, perhaps you should be concerned then.

Because I'm saying I don't believe men thinking about sex 24/7 is an accurate portrayal. If I see a hot girl there's not much conscious thought going on at all; if there's anything it's pretty much "wowzer!".

And while at work I'm glad I can keep my mind free of sexual thoughts because otherwise I'd be concerned about getting a boner. If I see a hot girl at work I can think "wow, she's hot" without it progressing to any fantasies.

That doesn't mean that I don't really enjoy sex or (sadly) wish I were getting more of it.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well, perhaps you should be concerned then. Because I'm saying I don't believe men thinking about sex 24/7 is an accurate portrayal...
I didn't say 24/7. I said "a lot."

Curious now. Has someone in the past/present given you a hard time (as it were) on this subject?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Curious now. Has someone in the past/present given you a hard time (as it were) on this subject?
No, nothing I can remember.

Obviously men have a lot of trouble understanding women's sexuality; historically women have often been depicted as frigid simply because they are unwilling to have sex with any old joe at the drop of a hat.

But misconceptions can happen the other way too; people can believe that men are obsessed with sex simply because they are willing to have sex with any old jane at the drop of a hat.

Both people are making the same error: assuming men's and women's sexuality is on the same continuum but just at different "levels". But they aren't: they're different.

disclaimer: I'm obviously generalizing when I talk about men/women's sexuality
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Both people are making the same error: assuming men's and women's sexuality is on the same continuum but just at different "levels". But they aren't: they're different.
Agree. And anyway, the sexuality that is most salient is that of your partner or potential partner, right? Groupthink stops being very relevant when you've narrowed down the field. As in, "What's the matter with you, Jane/John? Women/men are SUPPOSED to feel ______, and you don't!" That is the (non-sexual) kiss of death. (No relation to lesbian bed death.) (That time I was making a humorous reference.)

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-04-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Because I'm saying I don't believe men thinking about sex 24/7 is an accurate portrayal.
I'm a male and it certainly describes me most of my life, if 24/7 essentially means continuously throughout the day although not every single minute of the day.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
I'm a male and it certainly describes me most of my life, if 24/7 essentially means continuously throughout the day although not every single minute of the day.
I'm easy-- "24/7" is also left up to the interpretation of the poster, especially when accompanied by such a clear explanation.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm a straight male, 71 years old; i think of sex maybe twice an hour and when i do it's more of a memory of some specific woman in the distant past.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

As a woman this goes against my (personal) understand of the 'Friend Zone'. A guy in the 'Friend Zone' is a man I like as a person but don't want to have sex with; usually because of a lack of physical attraction on my part only, sometimes due to other factors (examples: we work together, he's the ex of a female friend of mine, he sleeps around too much which is a turn-off for me, one or both of us in a relationship or was when we became friendly, age/maturity differences, etc - there are many reasons I wouldn't want to get sexually involved with someone even if I think they're cute).

There might be a small spark of physical attraction there that I'd be willing to explore and try to develop, depending on their personality and the timing. I just got out of a 7-year-long passionate relationship that began with months of totally platonic (on my part) friendship.

I don't really know any women who prefer to have sex with someone they don't know/like over someone they do. Most have FWB situations if they want sex without love and a committed relationship; it's just that most of our male friends aren't sexy. Of course, most of us won't tell you this up front. We'll tell you we 'don't want to risk losing the friendship' or some other BS.

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 03-04-2012 at 05:51 PM..
Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

In retrospect, calling it the Friend Zone was probably a mistake. You're correct that that's a different thing.

What I'm saying is a stereotypical woman* might say something like, "I'm horny tonight and I'm never going to see this guy again. I might as well go home with him and we can have some fun."

Or a stereotypical woman might say something like, "I'm in love. This is my soul mate and I want to spend the rest of our lives together making love."

But that same stereotypical woman might also say something like "Wow, that was a really great date. This guy is good looking and interesting and he seems to like me. So I don't want to sleep with him yet."

Now as a stereotypical guy, I can completely relate to the first and second statements. But the third one leaves me going "bwuh?" I can't understand the idea of liking somebody too much to want to "spoil" things with sex. As a guy, my feeling is that sex can never spoil anything that's going well otherwise. If at the end of a really good date, the woman says "hey, let's go back to my place and fool around" my thought isn't going to be "why did she have to go and ruin everything?" No, it's going to be "wow, this date just keeps getting better."

*I say stereotypical woman in acknowledgment of the fact that nothing I'm saying applies to all women or all situations.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 AM

Definitely many many times an hour. Not only does the sight of a woman usually lead into it, my brain has always done rapid associations trains of thought and a hell of a lot of them lead to sex. For example, That commercial for the Fiat 500, with the "Holy Damn" hot Italian chick, she is very directly associated to sex in my mind obviously. But nearly any thing that my mind associates with Italy will within a fraction of a second lead to a sexual thought about her. Hearing an Italian accent, seeing a commercial for Fettuccine, watching a TV program and hearing a name like Ricci etc will pretty much lead there for the last month or so.