SPOILER:
[PHP]
3x x
-- = -
15 5
[/PHP]

s = (vx2+vy2)0.5

SPOILER:
[I]s[/I] = ([B]v[/B][SUB]x[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]+[B]v[/B][SUB]y[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP])[SUP]0.5[/SUP]

Still trying to work out how to put a fraction with formatting on the non-leftmost term in a statement. Also for some reason [CODE][/CODE] tags don't preserve line breaks, while [PHP][/PHP] does.

~Max
Old 05-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
Also for some reason [CODE][/CODE] tags don't preserve line breaks, while [PHP][/PHP] does.
The problem with CODE tags is a bug in the new theme.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM
born to be shunned

(well it just needed said )
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Also for some reason [CODE][/CODE] tags don't preserve line breaks, while [PHP][/PHP] does.
The PHP tags mangle a lot of other stuff. CODE works fine, as long as the reader disables SultanBugs in the menu at the lower left of an SDMB page.

BigT has submitted a fix for the SultanBugs/CODE bug that could be implemented in less than a minute. Assuming the SDMB consultant charges $600 per hour, that's $10. I'll contribute $2; can we get 16 other Dopers to contribute 50 each?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Huh. It very much surprises me that font="monospace" works. I could have sworn I'd tried it before, and the HTML font tags wouldn't do fallback fonts. (Monospace isn't actually a font, but a fallback to whatever is the default monospace font is in your browser/OS.)

Cool. I will use that anytime I need monospace from now on, instead of specifying a specific font. Heck, I wonder if I could work out a way to add monspace, serif, and sans-serif to the font dropdown box.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:37 PM

Maybe one day we'll get LATEX support. Eh, who am I kidding?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Math formatting test II.

Code:
               2a                xπ
saw(x,a,p) = - ── arctan ( cot ( ── ) )
               π                 p
SPOILER:
[CODE]
2[I]a xπ[/I]
[I]saw(x,a,p)[/I] = - ── arctan ( cot ( ── ) )
[I]π p[/I]
[/CODE]

Thanks, this works much better after switching to the theme "Straight Dope 3.7.3".

~Max
Old 05-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Nothing online really supports LATEX. Some sites have a MathML add-on that can take it as input, but the only way to deliver it to a browser is for the site to convert it to an image, which is sub-optimal. So far as I know, no browser supports MathML or LATEX natively.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Nothing online really supports LATEX. Some sites have a MathML add-on that can take it as input, but the only way to deliver it to a browser is for the site to convert it to an image, which is sub-optimal. So far as I know, no browser supports MathML or LATEX natively.
You mean that MathJax plugin? It works OK if you have Javascript enabled and your browser isn't too old.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Maybe one day we'll get LATEX support. Eh, who am I kidding?
Never heard of LATEX before, but I imagine you can convert that to formatted plaintext* and then copy the output into [CODE][/CODE] tags.

A quick search found a program called dvitty[1] from 1986, although I haven't tested it since I run Windows and don't feel like porting.

*Not an oxymoron, I swear! Monospaced plaintext with special characters.

~Max

[1] CTAN: /tex-archive/dviware/dvitty. (n.d.). Comprehensive TEX Network. Retrieved from https://ctan.org/tex-archive/dviware/dvitty

Last edited by Max S.; 05-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Firefox does a pretty decent job of supporting MathML natively. A colleague and I are working on an online textbook that uses some custom Javascript to convert (a large subset of) LaTeX to MathML on the fly and the results are good in Firefox. For other browsers we have to use other solutions.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Never heard of LATEX before, but I imagine you can convert that to formatted plaintext* and then copy the output into [CODE][/CODE] tags.

A quick search found a program called dvitty[1] from 1986, although I haven't tested it since I run Windows and don't feel like porting.

*Not an oxymoron, I swear! Monospaced plaintext with special characters.

~Max

[1] CTAN: /tex-archive/dviware/dvitty. (n.d.). Comprehensive TEX Network. Retrieved from https://ctan.org/tex-archive/dviware/dvitty

That's not going to do what you think it will. I don't know what you are trying to type in, but just pretend it's 1965 and all you have is a monospace typewriter.

Last edited by DPRK; 05-06-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM

∅∉S ⇒ ∃f : ∀c∈S, f(c)∈c
Old 05-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
That's not going to do what you think it will. I don't know what you are trying to type in, but just pretend it's 1965 and all you have is a monospace typewriter.
Sort of like [CODE][/CODE] tags, yeah? ASCII art in spoiler, which although tedious would print just fine on a teletype or telex back in the day. Although you would have to split it into two pages or print it sideways.

SPOILER:
Code:
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMNdddddddddddddddddmMddddddmNddddddddddNMMMMMMMMMmdddddddddMMmddddddddddddddddddddddddMMMMMddddddddmMMNddddddNMMNdddddddddmMMMddddddmMddddddmddddddddddddmMMMMMMddddddddddddMMMMMNdddddddddNMMMddddddddddddNMMmdddddddddMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMm/////////////////yM//////om//////////mMMMMMMMh+//////////sNo///////:::::::::::::::::omMMN::::::::sMMm::::::mMd/-:::::::::yMM/:::::yN::::::o::::::::::::yMMMMMM::::::::::::+mMMd+::::://///sNM////////////+dM+/////////mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMm/////////////////yM//////om/////////+mMMMMMMM/////////////o+///////////////////////::+NMd::::::::oMMm:::::/mm-:::::::::::/hM/:::::hN::::::y:::::::::::/yMMMMMM::::::::::::/+Nm::://////////sM//////////////m+/////////mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMm++//////+oo+/////yM//////om//////+ooomMMMMMMM//////++//////+oo+//////ooo/::::/++/::::/mMy::::::::/NMm:::::/mh-:::::+/:::::oM/:::::hN-:::::sooo::::::+oohMMMMMM:::::/++/::::/hy:::://++/////sM//////+o//////s+/////+oooNMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh//////hMMo/////yM//////om//////yMMMMMMMMMMh://///ms//////mMM/:::::+MMh:::::/dm:::::/mMs::::::::/NMm-::::/mh-::::/Ms-::::sM/-::::hN--::::sMMM-:::::dMMMMMMMMM-::::/dm:::::/yy:::::/ds:////sM//////hMo/////s+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh:::///hMMo/////yM//////om//////yMMMMMMMMMMh://///Ms://///mMM::::::+MMh:::::/dm:::::/mM--::::::::hMm-::::/mh-::::/Mo-::::sM:-::::hN--::::sMMM--::::dMMMMMMMMM-::::/dd-::::/yy:::::/do::://sM/:////hMo/////s+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/hMMo/////yM//////om//////yMMMMMMMMMMh://///Ms:::::/mMM::::::+MMy:::::/dm-::::/mM:-::::::::hMm--::::mh-----+Mo-----sM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-:::::dd-:::::yy:::::/do::::/sM/:////hMo/////s+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/hMMo/////yM//////om//////yMMMMMMMMMMh://///Ms:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-::::/mM--::::::::+Mm-----:my-----/Mo-----sM:----:hN-----:sMMM.----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy-::::/do:::::sM/:////hMo/////s+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+/////sm://///om//////smmmMMMMMMMM/:////hdydddddNMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-::::/mM--:::y-:::+Mm-----:my-----/MmhddddmM:----:hd.----:sMMM.----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd--::::yy-::::/do:::::sM/:////hMo/////s+/////hmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+///////://///om://////::/dMMMMMMM///////:smMMMMMMM::::::+MMy-::::/hd-::::/mM--:::s-:::/mm-----:my-----/MMMMMMMMM:-----:..----:sMMM.----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy-::::/do:::::sM/:////hMo/////s+/////////mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+:////////////om://///////mMMMMMMMdo//::::::+hNMMMMo:::::+MMy-::::::--::::oNy--::/y-::::dm-----:my-----/MMMMMMMMM:------------:sMMM.----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy:::::/do::::/sM/:////hMo/////s+/////////mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+:::://///////om://///////mMMMMMMMMMmy+/::::::/mMMMs:::::+MMy-:::::::::::sNMy-:::+m:-:::dm-----:my-----/+//////oM:-----:::----:sMMM.----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy:::::/do::::/sM/:////yy//////s+////////+mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+::::/sm/:////om://///sNNNMMMMMMMMMMMMMhs/:::::+NMMs:::::+MMy-::::::::::::sNo-:::yM--:-:hm-----:my-----:-------oM:----:ym:----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy:::::/do::://sM/:////////////d+/////yNNNMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+:::::sM:::/:/+m://///yMMMMMMMMMMdooooooMs:::::/mMM/:::::+MMy-::::/yy/::::/m:-:::yM----:hm-----:my-----::------oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM--::::dd-:::::yy:::::/do::///sM/////////////oN+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::hMM+:::::sM:::::/+m::////yMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/Mo:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-:::::m:-:::ym----:+m-----:my-----/do-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-:::::dd-::::/yy:::::/do:////sM//////+ooooshMM+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::yMM+:::::sM::::::+m:::::/yMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/Mo:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-:::::y.-::::------+m-----:my.----/Mo-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-:::::dd-::::/yy:::::/do:////sM//////hMMMMMMMM+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::yMM+:::::sM::::::+m:::::/yMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/Mo:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-:::::s--:::::-----/h.----:my.----/Mo-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-:::::dd-::::/yy:::::/do:////sM//////hMMMMMMMM+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh::::::yMM+:::::sM::::::+m:::::/sMMMMMMMMMMh:::::/Mo:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-:::::s--:::///:---:y-----:my.----/Mo-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-::::/dd-::::/yy:::://do:////sM//////hMMMMMMMM+/////hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh-:::::yMM+:::::sM::::::+m::::::sMMMMMMMMMMh::::::mo:::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-:::::--:::/NM+----:o-----:my.----/Mo-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM-----:dMMMMMMMMM-::::/dd:::::/yy://///do/////sM//////hMMMMMMMM+/////yMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh---:::yMM+:::::sM::::::+m::::::////mMMMMMMN::::::/::::::/mMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-::::::-:::+NMs-----:-----:my.----:/.-----oM:----:hN-----:sMMM----::dMMMMMMMMM-::::/o--::::/hy://///+//////sM//////hMMmddmMM+/////ooooNMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh------yMM+:::::sM::::::+m:::::::::/dMMMMMMM/::::::::::::oMMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm--:::::-:::+NMs-----:-----:md:---------:--oM:----:hN-----:sMMM--::::dMMMMMMMMM:::::::::////+Nd/////////////yM//////hMsho+dsM+////////+mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMh------yMM+:::::sM::::::+m:::::::::/dMMMMMMMh+/::::::::/oNMMM::::::+MMy-::::/dm-::::::::::/NMs-----------:mMy/::---:/yd:-sM:----:hN---:::sMMM-:::::dMMMMMMMMM::::////////+mMMh+/////////+yNM//////hMdyssodM+/++++++++mMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmsyyyyymMMhyyyyydMyyyyyyhNyyyyyyyyyyNMMMMMMMMMmhhhhhhhhmMMMMMhyhhhhhMMmyhhhhhmNyhhhhhhhhhhdMMdyhhhhhhhhhhhNMMMmhhhhdNMMyhdMyhhhhhmMshhhhhdMMMyhhhhhNMMMMMMMMMyhhhhhhhhhhdNMMMMMmhhhhhhhdNMMMhhhhhhmMMMNNMMMhhhhhhhhhhNMMMMMMMMMMMM

~Max
Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2 1/2
SPOILER:
2 [SIZE=-2][SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB][/SIZE]
Much easier to type 2 (alt+0189 on the keypad if you're a Windows user).

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-06-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Much easier to type 2 (alt+0189 on the keypad if you're a Windows user).
Good point.

~Max
Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

⅓ ⅔ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

No direct access to those but they can be copied from the Character Map.

Thirds and eighths in case only boxes show for anyone.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 PM

Unicode test

Unicode
Code:
SPOILER:
Code:
[CODE]       _________________
      / 1    2[SUP]3[/SUP]⎛     3⎞
σ =  /  ─   [B]Σ[/B] ⎜X[SUB][I]i[/I][/SUB] - ─⎟ 
    √   2[SUP]3[/SUP]  [I]i[/I]=1⎝     2⎠ [/CODE]

ASCII
Code:
SPOILER:
Code:
[CODE]       _________________
      / 1    2[SUP]3[/SUP]      3  
σ =  /  ─   [B]Σ[/B] (X[SUB][I]i[/I][/SUB] - ─)
    √   2[SUP]3[/SUP]  [I]i[/I]=1      2  [/CODE
Old 05-15-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
∅∉S ⇒ ∃f : ∀c∈S, f(c)∈c
I had to read this like a dozen times over the course of several days before realizing it was the Axiom of Choice. Even to the point of understanding the meaning and thinking "eh, that doesn't look right to me, but maybe." Eventually it clicked.

Except for sets containing empty sets, there must be a function that we can apply to each member set that picks an element of that member. Or not, as the case may be.

Are there any proofs that require the AoC to be false? Not just failing to assert its truth, of course, but requiring that there is at least one S that cannot have an f?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
⅓ ⅔ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

No direct access to those but they can be copied from the Character Map.

Thirds and eighths in case only boxes show for anyone.

More from the character map:

⅓ ⅕ ⅙ ⅐ ⅛ ⅑ ⅒
⅔ ⅖
⅗ ⅜

⅚ ⅝
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Are there any proofs that require the AoC to be false? Not just failing to assert its truth, of course, but requiring that there is at least one S that cannot have an f?
The Axiom of Choice (AC) has very bizarre consequences. Doubling a ball is one, but a paradox involving an infinity of prisoners guessing their hats' colors is a much simpler application where AC gives an absurd result.

But a better example for your question is the Axiom of Determinacy (AD) which describes a seemingly trivial fact about simple 2-person win/loss games. But AD cannot apply to all topological games of length ω unless AC is false.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM

I was surprised to see the fraction available in Unicode. Is that the only zero-numerator fraction that has a glyph? What's so special about 3? Of course there are lots of one-numerator fractions available: 29, 42, etc.
Or do you want to write numbers like this?: ❶ ❷ ❸ ❹ ❺ ❻ ❼ ❽ ❾ ❿ Or this?: ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳

81 = 27

It seems strange to me, but some Unicode characters are colored: ☔ ☕ ⭐

When you want to to snip text in a quote box, why not use a snipper:

And of course the following glyph pair is shorthand for a certain man with short orange fingers who likes to play golf: ✋⛳

(Please tell me if some of these characters don't render on your machine.)
Old 05-17-2019, 04:51 PM

septimus, I seem to see everything but there are references to colors in your post and I only see B&W.

A followup "color test" post with the color words next to the symbols could be useful.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
septimus, I seem to see everything but there are references to colors in your post and I only see B&W.

A followup "color test" post with the color words next to the symbols could be useful.
purple umbrella with blue raindrops: ☔
white coffee cup with brown coffee: ☕
gold star: ⭐
yellow hand: ✋
scissors, although it only shows numbers in a box for me on Firefox 66 + straight dope theme: ✀
yellow flag-stick with a red flag and green grass: ⛳
Old 05-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Here's a larger (but non-exhaustive) collection of colored Unicode glyphs.

♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ - Zodiac symbols with indigo background.
♿ ⚡ - Blue Handicapped, Yellow Lightning?
⚾ ⛄ ⛅ - Little red or yellow
⛎ ⛔ ❌ ❎ ❓ ❗ ⛲ ✅ ✊ ✋ ⭐ - Single non-B/W color
✨ ⛪ ⛳ ⛵ ⛺ ☕ ☔ ⛽ - Two or more non-B/W colors

♈ ♉ ♊ ♋ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓ - Zodiac symbols with indigo background.
♿ ⚡ - Blue Handicapped, Yellow Lightning?
⚾ ⛄ ⛅ - Little red or yellow
⛎ ⛔ ❌ ❎ ❓ ❗ ⛲ ✅ ✊ ✋ ⭐ - Single non-B/W color
✨ ⛪ ⛳ ⛵ ⛺ ☕ ☔ ⛽ - Two or more non-B/W colors

I see all these colored on my default Windows Firefox environment, trying both the default font and Courier.
All are colored with Chrome also.

Last edited by septimus; 05-17-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM

The following aren't colored but might come in handy when transcribing some weird language.

ꀀ ꀁ ꀂ ꀃ ꀄ ꀅ ꀆ ꀇ ꀈ ꀉ ꀊ ꀋ ꀌ ꀍ ꀎ ꀏ ꀐ ꀑ ꀒ ꀓ ꀔ ꀕ ꀖ ꀗ ꀘ ꀙ ꀚ ꀛ ꀜ ꀝ ꀞ ꀟ ꀠ ꀡ ꀢ ꀣ ꀤ ꀥ ꀦ ꀧ
ꀨ ꀩ ꀪ ꀫ ꀬ ꀭ ꀮ ꀯ ꀰ ꀱ ꀲ ꀳ ꀴ ꀵ ꀶ ꀷ ꀸ ꀹ ꀺ ꀻ ꀼ ꀽ ꀾ ꀿ ꁀ ꁁ ꁂ ꁃ ꁄ ꁅ ꁆ ꁇ ꁈ ꁉ ꁊ ꁋ ꁌ ꁍ ꁎ ꁏ
ꁐ ꁑ ꁒ ꁓ ꁔ ꁕ ꁖ ꁗ ꁘ ꁙ ꁚ ꁛ ꁜ ꁝ ꁞ ꁟ ꁠ ꁡ ꁢ ꁣ ꁤ ꁥ ꁦ ꁧ ꁨ ꁩ ꁪ ꁫ ꁬ ꁭ ꁮ ꁯ ꁰ ꁱ ꁲ ꁳ ꁴ ꁵ ꁶ ꁷ
ꁸ ꁹ ꁺ ꁻ ꁼ ꁽ ꁾ ꁿ ꂀ ꂁ ꂂ ꂃ ꂄ ꂅ ꂆ ꂇ ꂈ ꂉ ꂊ ꂋ ꂌ ꂍ ꂎ ꂏ ꂐ ꂑ ꂒ ꂓ ꂔ ꂕ ꂖ ꂗ ꂘ ꂙ ꂚ ꂛ ꂜ ꂝ ꂞ ꂟ
ꂠ ꂡ ꂢ ꂣ ꂤ ꂥ ꂦ ꂧ ꂨ ꂩ ꂪ ꂫ ꂬ ꂭ ꂮ ꂯ ꂰ ꂱ ꂲ ꂳ ꂴ ꂵ ꂶ ꂷ ꂸ ꂹ ꂺ ꂻ ꂼ ꂽ ꂾ ꂿ ꃀ ꃁ ꃂ ꃃ ꃄ ꃅ ꃆ ꃇ
ꃈ ꃉ ꃊ ꃋ ꃌ ꃍ ꃎ ꃏ ꃐ ꃑ ꃒ ꃓ ꃔ ꃕ ꃖ ꃗ ꃘ ꃙ ꃚ ꃛ ꃜ ꃝ ꃞ ꃟ ꃠ ꃡ ꃢ ꃣ ꃤ ꃥ ꃦ ꃧ ꃨ ꃩ ꃪ ꃫ ꃬ ꃭ ꃮ ꃯ
ꃰ ꃱ ꃲ ꃳ ꃴ ꃵ ꃶ ꃷ ꃸ ꃹ ꃺ ꃻ ꃼ ꃽ ꃾ ꃿ ꄀ ꄁ ꄂ ꄃ ꄄ ꄅ ꄆ ꄇ ꄈ ꄉ ꄊ ꄋ ꄌ ꄍ ꄎ ꄏ ꄐ ꄑ ꄒ ꄓ ꄔ ꄕ ꄖ ꄗ
ꄘ ꄙ ꄚ ꄛ ꄜ ꄝ ꄞ ꄟ ꄠ ꄡ ꄢ ꄣ ꄤ ꄥ ꄦ ꄧ ꄨ ꄩ ꄪ ꄫ ꄬ ꄭ ꄮ ꄯ ꄰ ꄱ ꄲ ꄳ ꄴ ꄵ ꄶ ꄷ ꄸ ꄹ ꄺ ꄻ ꄼ ꄽ ꄾ ꄿ
ꅀ ꅁ ꅂ ꅃ ꅄ ꅅ ꅆ ꅇ ꅈ ꅉ ꅊ ꅋ ꅌ ꅍ ꅎ ꅏ ꅐ ꅑ ꅒ ꅓ ꅔ ꅕ ꅖ ꅗ ꅘ ꅙ ꅚ ꅛ ꅜ ꅝ ꅞ ꅟ ꅠ ꅡ ꅢ ꅣ ꅤ ꅥ ꅦ ꅧ
ꅨ ꅩ ꅪ ꅫ ꅬ ꅭ ꅮ ꅯ ꅰ ꅱ ꅲ ꅳ ꅴ ꅵ ꅶ ꅷ ꅸ ꅹ ꅺ ꅻ ꅼ ꅽ ꅾ ꅿ ꆀ ꆁ ꆂ ꆃ ꆄ ꆅ ꆆ ꆇ ꆈ ꆉ ꆊ ꆋ ꆌ ꆍ ꆎ ꆏ
ꆐ ꆑ ꆒ ꆓ ꆔ ꆕ ꆖ ꆗ ꆘ ꆙ ꆚ ꆛ ꆜ ꆝ ꆞ ꆟ ꆠ ꆡ ꆢ ꆣ ꆤ ꆥ ꆦ ꆧ ꆨ ꆩ ꆪ ꆫ ꆬ ꆭ ꆮ ꆯ ꆰ ꆱ ꆲ ꆳ ꆴ ꆵ ꆶ ꆷ
ꆸ ꆹ ꆺ ꆻ ꆼ ꆽ ꆾ ꆿ ꇀ ꇁ ꇂ ꇃ ꇄ ꇅ ꇆ ꇇ ꇈ ꇉ ꇊ ꇋ ꇌ ꇍ ꇎ ꇏ ꇐ ꇑ ꇒ ꇓ ꇔ ꇕ ꇖ ꇗ ꇘ ꇙ ꇚ ꇛ ꇜ ꇝ ꇞ ꇟ
ꇠ ꇡ ꇢ ꇣ ꇤ ꇥ ꇦ ꇧ ꇨ ꇩ ꇪ ꇫ ꇬ ꇭ ꇮ ꇯ ꇰ ꇱ ꇲ ꇳ ꇴ ꇵ ꇶ ꇷ ꇸ ꇹ ꇺ ꇻ ꇼ ꇽ ꇾ ꇿ ꈀ ꈁ ꈂ ꈃ ꈄ ꈅ ꈆ ꈇ
ꈈ ꈉ ꈊ ꈋ ꈌ ꈍ ꈎ ꈏ ꈐ ꈑ ꈒ ꈓ ꈔ ꈕ ꈖ ꈗ ꈘ ꈙ ꈚ ꈛ ꈜ ꈝ ꈞ ꈟ ꈠ ꈡ ꈢ ꈣ ꈤ ꈥ ꈦ ꈧ ꈨ ꈩ ꈪ ꈫ ꈬ ꈭ ꈮ ꈯ
ꈰ ꈱ ꈲ ꈳ ꈴ ꈵ ꈶ ꈷ ꈸ ꈹ ꈺ ꈻ ꈼ ꈽ ꈾ ꈿ ꉀ ꉁ ꉂ ꉃ ꉄ ꉅ ꉆ ꉇ ꉈ ꉉ ꉊ ꉋ ꉌ ꉍ ꉎ ꉏ ꉐ ꉑ ꉒ ꉓ ꉔ ꉕ ꉖ ꉗ
ꉘ ꉙ ꉚ ꉛ ꉜ ꉝ ꉞ ꉟ ꉠ ꉡ ꉢ ꉣ ꉤ ꉥ ꉦ ꉧ ꉨ ꉩ ꉪ ꉫ ꉬ ꉭ ꉮ ꉯ ꉰ ꉱ ꉲ ꉳ ꉴ ꉵ ꉶ ꉷ ꉸ ꉹ ꉺ ꉻ ꉼ ꉽ ꉾ ꉿ
ꊀ ꊁ ꊂ ꊃ ꊄ ꊅ ꊆ ꊇ ꊈ ꊉ ꊊ ꊋ ꊌ ꊍ ꊎ ꊏ ꊐ ꊑ ꊒ ꊓ ꊔ ꊕ ꊖ ꊗ ꊘ ꊙ ꊚ ꊛ ꊜ ꊝ ꊞ ꊟ ꊠ ꊡ ꊢ ꊣ ꊤ ꊥ ꊦ ꊧ
ꊨ ꊩ ꊪ ꊫ ꊬ ꊭ ꊮ ꊯ ꊰ ꊱ ꊲ ꊳ ꊴ ꊵ ꊶ ꊷ ꊸ ꊹ ꊺ ꊻ ꊼ ꊽ ꊾ ꊿ ꋀ ꋁ ꋂ ꋃ ꋄ ꋅ ꋆ ꋇ ꋈ ꋉ ꋊ ꋋ ꋌ ꋍ ꋎ ꋏ
ꋐ ꋑ ꋒ ꋓ ꋔ ꋕ ꋖ ꋗ ꋘ ꋙ ꋚ ꋛ ꋜ ꋝ ꋞ ꋟ ꋠ ꋡ ꋢ ꋣ ꋤ ꋥ ꋦ ꋧ ꋨ ꋩ ꋪ ꋫ ꋬ ꋭ ꋮ ꋯ ꋰ ꋱ ꋲ ꋳ ꋴ ꋵ ꋶ ꋷ
ꋸ ꋹ ꋺ ꋻ ꋼ ꋽ ꋾ ꋿ ꌀ ꌁ ꌂ ꌃ ꌄ ꌅ ꌆ ꌇ ꌈ ꌉ ꌊ ꌋ ꌌ ꌍ ꌎ ꌏ ꌐ ꌑ ꌒ ꌓ ꌔ ꌕ ꌖ ꌗ ꌘ ꌙ ꌚ ꌛ ꌜ ꌝ ꌞ ꌟ
ꌠ ꌡ ꌢ ꌣ ꌤ ꌥ ꌦ ꌧ ꌨ ꌩ ꌪ ꌫ ꌬ ꌭ ꌮ ꌯ ꌰ ꌱ ꌲ ꌳ ꌴ ꌵ ꌶ ꌷ ꌸ ꌹ ꌺ ꌻ ꌼ ꌽ ꌾ ꌿ ꍀ ꍁ ꍂ ꍃ ꍄ ꍅ ꍆ ꍇ
ꍈ ꍉ ꍊ ꍋ ꍌ ꍍ ꍎ ꍏ ꍐ ꍑ ꍒ ꍓ ꍔ ꍕ ꍖ ꍗ ꍘ ꍙ ꍚ ꍛ ꍜ ꍝ ꍞ ꍟ ꍠ ꍡ ꍢ ꍣ ꍤ ꍥ ꍦ ꍧ ꍨ ꍩ ꍪ ꍫ ꍬ ꍭ ꍮ ꍯ
ꍰ ꍱ ꍲ ꍳ ꍴ ꍵ ꍶ ꍷ ꍸ ꍹ ꍺ ꍻ ꍼ ꍽ ꍾ ꍿ ꎀ ꎁ ꎂ ꎃ ꎄ ꎅ ꎆ ꎇ ꎈ ꎉ ꎊ ꎋ ꎌ ꎍ ꎎ ꎏ ꎐ ꎑ ꎒ ꎓ ꎔ ꎕ ꎖ ꎗ
ꎘ ꎙ ꎚ ꎛ ꎜ ꎝ ꎞ ꎟ ꎠ ꎡ ꎢ ꎣ ꎤ ꎥ ꎦ ꎧ ꎨ ꎩ ꎪ ꎫ ꎬ ꎭ ꎮ ꎯ ꎰ ꎱ ꎲ ꎳ ꎴ ꎵ ꎶ ꎷ ꎸ ꎹ ꎺ ꎻ ꎼ ꎽ ꎾ ꎿ
ꏀ ꏁ ꏂ ꏃ ꏄ ꏅ ꏆ ꏇ ꏈ ꏉ ꏊ ꏋ ꏌ ꏍ ꏎ ꏏ ꏐ ꏑ ꏒ ꏓ ꏔ ꏕ ꏖ ꏗ ꏘ ꏙ ꏚ ꏛ ꏜ ꏝ ꏞ ꏟ ꏠ ꏡ ꏢ ꏣ ꏤ ꏥ ꏦ ꏧ
ꏨ ꏩ ꏪ ꏫ ꏬ ꏭ ꏮ ꏯ ꏰ ꏱ ꏲ ꏳ ꏴ ꏵ ꏶ ꏷ ꏸ ꏹ ꏺ ꏻ ꏼ ꏽ ꏾ ꏿ ꐀ ꐁ ꐂ ꐃ ꐄ ꐅ ꐆ ꐇ ꐈ ꐉ ꐊ ꐋ ꐌ ꐍ ꐎ ꐏ
ꐐ ꐑ ꐒ ꐓ ꐔ ꐕ ꐖ ꐗ ꐘ ꐙ ꐚ ꐛ ꐜ ꐝ ꐞ ꐟ ꐠ ꐡ ꐢ ꐣ ꐤ ꐥ ꐦ ꐧ ꐨ ꐩ ꐪ ꐫ ꐬ ꐭ ꐮ ꐯ ꐰ ꐱ ꐲ ꐳ ꐴ ꐵ ꐶ ꐷ
ꐸ ꐹ ꐺ ꐻ ꐼ ꐽ ꐾ ꐿ ꑀ ꑁ ꑂ ꑃ ꑄ ꑅ ꑆ ꑇ ꑈ ꑉ ꑊ ꑋ ꑌ ꑍ ꑎ ꑏ ꑐ ꑑ ꑒ ꑓ ꑔ ꑕ ꑖ ꑗ ꑘ ꑙ ꑚ ꑛ ꑜ ꑝ ꑞ ꑟ
ꑠ ꑡ ꑢ ꑣ ꑤ ꑥ ꑦ ꑧ ꑨ ꑩ ꑪ ꑫ ꑬ ꑭ ꑮ ꑯ ꑰ ꑱ ꑲ ꑳ ꑴ ꑵ ꑶ ꑷ ꑸ ꑹ ꑺ ꑻ ꑼ ꑽ ꑾ ꑿ ꒀ ꒁ ꒂ ꒃ ꒄ ꒅ ꒆ ꒇ

Those are after Chinese, but before some upside-down Roman letters. A bit later is an even weirder alphabet:

ꔀ ꔁ ꔂ ꔃ ꔄ ꔅ ꔆ ꔇ ꔈ ꔉ ꔊ ꔋ ꔌ ꔍ ꔎ ꔏ ꔐ ꔑ ꔒ ꔓ ꔔ ꔕ ꔖ ꔗ ꔘ ꔙ ꔚ ꔛ ꔜ ꔝ ꔞ ꔟ ꔠ ꔡ ꔢ ꔣ ꔤ ꔥ ꔦ ꔧ
ꔨ ꔩ ꔪ ꔫ ꔬ ꔭ ꔮ ꔯ ꔰ ꔱ ꔲ ꔳ ꔴ ꔵ ꔶ ꔷ ꔸ ꔹ ꔺ ꔻ ꔼ ꔽ ꔾ ꔿ ꕀ ꕁ ꕂ ꕃ ꕄ ꕅ ꕆ ꕇ ꕈ ꕉ ꕊ ꕋ ꕌ ꕍ ꕎ ꕏ
ꕐ ꕑ ꕒ ꕓ ꕔ ꕕ ꕖ ꕗ ꕘ ꕙ ꕚ ꕛ ꕜ ꕝ ꕞ ꕟ ꕠ ꕡ ꕢ ꕣ ꕤ ꕥ ꕦ ꕧ ꕨ ꕩ ꕪ ꕫ ꕬ ꕭ ꕮ ꕯ ꕰ ꕱ ꕲ ꕳ ꕴ ꕵ ꕶ ꕷ
ꕸ ꕹ ꕺ ꕻ ꕼ ꕽ ꕾ ꕿ ꖀ ꖁ ꖂ ꖃ ꖄ ꖅ ꖆ ꖇ ꖈ ꖉ ꖊ ꖋ ꖌ ꖍ ꖎ ꖏ ꖐ ꖑ ꖒ ꖓ ꖔ ꖕ ꖖ ꖗ ꖘ ꖙ ꖚ ꖛ ꖜ ꖝ ꖞ ꖟ
ꖠ ꖡ ꖢ ꖣ ꖤ ꖥ ꖦ ꖧ ꖨ ꖩ ꖪ ꖫ ꖬ ꖭ ꖮ ꖯ ꖰ ꖱ ꖲ ꖳ ꖴ ꖵ ꖶ ꖷ ꖸ ꖹ ꖺ ꖻ ꖼ ꖽ ꖾ ꖿ ꗀ ꗁ ꗂ ꗃ ꗄ ꗅ ꗆ ꗇ
ꗈ ꗉ ꗊ ꗋ ꗌ ꗍ ꗎ ꗏ ꗐ ꗑ ꗒ ꗓ ꗔ ꗕ ꗖ ꗗ ꗘ ꗙ ꗚ ꗛ ꗜ ꗝ ꗞ ꗟ ꗠ ꗡ ꗢ ꗣ ꗤ ꗥ ꗦ ꗧ ꗨ ꗩ ꗪ ꗫ ꗬ ꗭ ꗮ ꗯ
ꗰ ꗱ ꗲ ꗳ ꗴ ꗵ ꗶ ꗷ ꗸ ꗹ ꗺ ꗻ ꗼ ꗽ ꗾ ꗿ ꘀ ꘁ ꘂ ꘃ ꘄ ꘅ ꘆ ꘇ ꘈ ꘉ ꘊ ꘋ ꘌ ꘍ ꘎ ꘏ ꘐ ꘑ ꘒ ꘓ ꘔ ꘕ ꘖ ꘗ
ꘘ ꘙ ꘚ ꘛ ꘜ ꘝ ꘞ ꘟ ꘠ ꘡ ꘢ ꘣ ꘤ ꘥ ꘦ ꘧ ꘨ ꘩ ꘪ ꘫ
Old 05-18-2019, 07:35 AM

Nope, symbols but no colors. (Classic Opera.)

Checking good old IE, no colors and really terrible formatting.

Let's see, do I still have Netscape Navigator still installed ... ? No. But I did have Mosaic around not long ago.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The following aren't colored but might come in handy when transcribing some weird language.

Those are after Chinese, but before some upside-down Roman letters. A bit later is an even weirder alphabet:

The former chunk of characters are from of Yi script, an ancient language of the Yi ethnic group around the southern Sichuan province, China (Nanzhong in ancient times).

The latter characters are from the language of the Vai ethnic group in Liberia, one of the few African scripts that is not based on the latin or arabic alphabet.

~Max
Old 05-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

All of those sample characters appear to render properly for me (Mac Firefox, 3.7.3 theme), except for the snipper, which is a box containing the numbers 2 7 0 0.

Of note, most of the colored ones, including the ones septimus described as having only one color, have multiple shades of color. For instance, the yellow star ⭐ is more yellow at the bottom, but shades to more white at the top, and the zodiac symbols ♈ have a light-colored highlight at the top.

Last edited by Chronos; 05-18-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Max S Very impressive and thorough, thanks. If it's all the same to everyone else, I'll just post links. I think I finally have that down.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
But a better example for your question is the Axiom of Determinacy (AD) which describes a seemingly trivial fact about simple 2-person win/loss games. But AD cannot apply to all topological games of length ω unless AC is false.
That's an excellent example--thanks. I was aware of some of the "paradoxical" results of the AoC, though I hadn't known of the prisoner's game solution. Still, those could be argued to be features, not bugs. But the AoD seems like it's also something we want to be true, and almost as "obvious" as the AoC itself.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I think that the Axiom of Choice is completely unobvious, and have no idea why anyone would take it seriously.

Mathematician: And now, I will choose one element from each of these sets...
Me: OK, do it.
Mathematician: Done. And now...
Me: So which one did you choose?
Mathematician: Um, I don't know...
Me: So what do you mean that you chose one, then? What kind of choice is it when you don't even know what you've chosen?

As for being able to prove a lot of things using the AoC, well, I can prove a lot of things using 1 = 0. That doesn't mean that it makes a good axiom.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I can prove a lot of things using 1 = 0. That doesn't mean that it makes a good axiom.
Well, 1=0 is inconsistent with the rest of mathematics. AoC+ and AoC- are both consistent with most math that we care about.

To me, it feels "obvious" because for any specific example, it seems easy to pick a rule. Sets of natural numbers? Pick the smallest absolute value, favoring positive. Closed intervals of reals? Ok, smallest absolute value doesn't work--instead pick the number with the shortest binary representation. Closed/open regions of complex numbers? Same deal, just come up with a real/imaginary tiebreaking rule. Fractal sets, like Cantor dust or a Sierpinski gasket? There's gonna be some base element that everything's repeated from; pick that. Etc.

Then again, we could have a set of, say, incomputable numbers. How can we specify a member if we can't even compute it? But maybe the problem is more declaring the existence of the set in the first place. Maybe we should only allow sets when there is a "pick an element" function.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sorry, TLDR.

That said, congrats on deciphering the Voynich Manuscript!