Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 53,078
Incidents of overt racism in everyday life

So I'm on a crowded bus this morning listening to my McCartney and Wings collection, and the guy opposite me asks me what I'm listening to so I tell him.
His response? "I tried listening to the Beatles, but it was too much like jungle music to me". he didn't lower his voice or look around to see if there was anyone around that might find his remark insensitive-he just loudly offered up his racist comment is if it were perfectly acceptable for public consumption.
  #2  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 18,711
Never mind racist— what the hell is he even talking about?
  #3  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:00 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Never mind racist— what the hell is he even talking about?
Exactly.

And how did the OP hear this non-sequitur of a question? If I'm on a bus/plane/etc I'm wearing earbuds in part so that people do not attempt to engage in small talk.
  #4  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 53,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Exactly.

And how did the OP hear this non-sequitur of a question? If I'm on a bus/plane/etc I'm wearing earbuds in part so that people do not attempt to engage in small talk.
He motioned over to me and pointed at the earbuds I was wearing.
  #5  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"I tried listening to the Beatles, but it was too much like jungle music to me".
Fucking Neil Sedaka fans. One in every crowd.
  #6  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM
pool pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 3,667
I heard a lot of overt racist comments in the Army directed at blacks, whites, hispanics but most of it was good-natured ribbing. I live in the South I hear racist shit from strangers all the time.
  #7  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
He motioned over to me and pointed at the earbuds I was wearing.
So, he chose to ignore the fact that you were otherwise occupied and forced you to engage in small talk. You knew he was a dick before he opened his mouth.
  #8  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 PM
shunpiker shunpiker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Never mind racist— what the hell is he even talking about?
I wouldn’t use the term jungle music to refer to the Beatles. Not sure I’d use those 2 in the same sentence. I can get close, though. The beetles made sweet music in the jungle. But (rhetorically) do beetles even make music?

And, using only the context of the OP, I’d not be so quick to call it racist. Are there other clues that gave you the vibe? What exactly IS jungle music (again rhetorically)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiP
The terms "jungle" and "drum and bass" are often used interchangeably by the layman but this should not be the case. Jungle originated out of oldschool and in the late 1990s the term "drum and bass" was used in association with music that did not have the same emphasis on breakbeats and complex production.
  #9  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 53,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
So, he chose to ignore the fact that you were otherwise occupied and forced you to engage in small talk. You knew he was a dick before he opened his mouth.
Until he spoke, he might also have been someone who was trying to tell me about an important announcement from the bus driver. Sometimes it pays to pull the buds out of your ears and listen to someone else, and sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 06-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.
  #10  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,841
I live in Southern Maryland where 90% of white people are racists and worse, they all assume if you are white that you are racist too. Right before the 2008 election, a friend of mine and I were at Hooter's having some beers. We had been previously exposed to the kind of casual yet not-so-hidden racism of the surrounding area, so we asked the white waitress who she was going to vote for, thinking it would be funny to hear her say "Not Obama" in a non-racist way. But nope, she just came right out with "Well, I would never vote for a nigger, so not Obama"

I still feel bad for not notifying the manager then, but we were in such shock that we just paid and left.
  #11  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:52 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Sometimes it pays to pull the buds out of your ears and listen to someone else, and sometimes it doesn't.
Protip:
Unless you smell smoke, it's generally better to ignore the passenger's charades.
/Protip
  #12  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:54 PM
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I still feel bad for not notifying the manager then, but we were in such shock that we just paid and left.
You were in a Hooter's in Southern Maryland. She might have gotten a promotion.
  #13  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 10,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
What exactly IS jungle music (again rhetorically)?
Here's some.
  #14  
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 53,078
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music". I've heard it all my life, and never realized that others may not have heard the term.
  #15  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM
shunpiker shunpiker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
That specific example did float through my mind
  #16  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,322
This reminds me of something I've noticed for a long time:

A racist white person assumes all white people are racists.
A sexist man assumes all men are racists.
An antisemitic gentile assumes all gentiles are antisemitic.
A homophobic straight person assumes all straight people are homophobic.
Etc.

I think it gives them an excuse for being what they are, in the sense of "Of course I'm a racist; it's part of being white" or "Of course I'm homophobic; it's part of being straight." I think it behooves those of us who don't fit this pattern to speak up and show them that hatred is not automatic, no matter what you are.
  #17  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM
shunpiker shunpiker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 1,312
Oh, I know what you meant by the term. However, from only the clues presented in the OP, it’s a bit of a stretch to call dude's comment racist. Playing devil’s advocate, I could paint this picture different ways before I pull out the racist crayon.

In fact, using this part of the OP, “…he didn't lower his voice or look around to see if there was anyone around that might find his remark insensitive.”, might lead me to believe that he didn’t intend to use it racistically.
  #18  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Living Well Is Best Revenge Living Well Is Best Revenge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,144
I live in the South. I hear or see casual racism nearly every day.
Yesterday's example was a conversation with a guy about why he never goes "downtown" anymore. It's because there are too many large groups of black people and it's not safe coming out of parking garages late at night.

Last edited by Living Well Is Best Revenge; 06-19-2017 at 03:37 PM.
  #19  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You were in a Hooter's in Southern Maryland. She might have gotten a promotion.
The manager was black, so I doubt it.
  #20  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Alessan Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 22,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music". I've heard it all my life, and never realized that others may not have heard the term.
I get it, but... the Beatles? The Stones, maybe, but the Beatles? That's too stupid to be offensive.


(Seriously: does anyone under 80 still think of rock as somehow being "black" music? It just seems so weird to me.)

Last edited by Alessan; 06-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
  #21  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Whites elevated; UT
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
Oh, I know what you meant by the term. However, from only the clues presented in the OP, it’s a bit of a stretch to call dude's comment racist. Playing devil’s advocate, I could paint this picture different ways before I pull out the racist crayon.

In fact, using this part of the OP, “…he didn't lower his voice or look around to see if there was anyone around that might find his remark insensitive.”, might lead me to believe that he didn’t intend to use it racistically.
His intent is immaterial, it is racist to implicitly compare black to jungle. Unless the OP happened to bump into an ethnomusicologist, which if they did that'd be a great detail to add.
  #22  
Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 27,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music".
Try putting the two words into your favourite search engine and prepare to be pleasantly surprised.
  #23  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Orr, G. Orr, G. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Excluded Middle
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Try putting the two words into your favourite search engine and prepare to be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah... but someone who thinks of Jungle Music when discussing the Beatles isn't going to be hip enough to know about that off the top of their head.

I'm guessing this person was either an octogenarian or a RL troll.

I'm reminded of someone I met, a woman in her twenties, and had the misfortune of being a captive audience for, for nearly an hour. She kept referring to "colored people". I did mention the current term is "person of color", in case that's what she meant. It wasn't.

She didn't care to get the hint. I don't know if she was looking for a fight, or what she expected. Usually people who assume fellow white people are racist clam up after being corrected (IRL, not online, IME). Eventually I just had to laugh, and I asked her if she's a time traveller from the 50's, because that's not even a modern slur.
  #24  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 37,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I live in Southern Maryland where 90% of white people are racists and worse, they all assume if you are white that you are racist too.
Minor hijack - I'm in Southern MD - St. Mary's county - and I've been surprised at the number of interracial couples I encounter. When we moved here 13 years ago, I was bracing for racism, but while it does exist, it's not as pervasive as I'd expected. I've encountered more than my share of assholes, but there are still enough decent folks to keep me from feeling humanity is doomed.
  #25  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:04 PM
hogarth hogarth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,617
One of my co-workers is an African immigrant. On Friday, he was explaining how the Canadian government should unilaterally remove any ability for First Nations to self-govern because having two separate legal systems is like apartheid in South Africa. That was a head-scratcher for me.

Also recently, a Chinese woman I know was explaining that Sunnybrook Hospital is a high-quality healthcare centre because they even have white nurses working there.
  #26  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 PM
jtur88 jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music". I've heard it all my life, and never realized that others may not have heard the term.
Why is one of those a slur and the other not, if both describe the same music by associating it with a racially distinguishable audience? If Reggae is called "island music" is it a racial slur to refer to the fact that the music originated with people who come from islands?

Did African Americans not come originally from a place where the jungle predominates as a bioform, and bring their cultural musical styling with them from said provenance? And voluntarily choose to associate themselves with that musical genre through the present era?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.
  #27  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM
raventhief raventhief is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
I wouldn’t use the term jungle music to refer to the Beatles. Not sure I’d use those 2 in the same sentence. I can get close, though. The beetles made sweet music in the jungle. But (rhetorically) do beetles even make music?

And, using only the context of the OP, I’d not be so quick to call it racist. Are there other clues that gave you the vibe? What exactly IS jungle music (again rhetorically)?
Jungle is what they played in the front room of Buzz in the 90s. I couldn't dance to it. I preferred trance or house.
  #28  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Whites elevated; UT
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why is one of those a slur and the other not, if both describe the same music by associating it with a racially distinguishable audience? If Reggae is called "island music" is it a racial slur to refer to the fact that the music originated with people who come from islands?

Did African Americans not come originally from a place where the jungle predominates as a bioform, and bring their cultural musical styling with them from said provenance? And voluntarily choose to associate themselves with that musical genre through the present era?
You're wrong and a stroll through Wiki could teach you about Savannah v jungle v desert on the African landmass and proportions thereof, and even if you weren't, 'But it's TRUE!' doesn't keep something from being racist.

Last edited by Nawth Chucka; 06-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.
  #29  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music". I've heard it all my life, and never realized that others may not have heard the term.
Surprises me that some people haven't heard the term. It was widely used in times past when idiots like the one you met on the bus complained about rock music corrupting our youth. Maybe it's a regionalism, but I didn't think so.
  #30  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
monstro monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 18,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Did African Americans not come originally from a place where the jungle predominates as a bioform, and bring their cultural musical styling with them from said provenance? And voluntarily choose to associate themselves with that musical genre through the present era?
As an African American, I can tell you that I've never in my life set foot in a "jungle".

Jazz did not originate in a jungle.
Neither did gospel, blues, soul, rock and roll, or hip hop.

Not unless we're talking about a jungle made out of concrete.
  #31  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why is one of those a slur and the other not, if both describe the same music by associating it with a racially distinguishable audience? If Reggae is called "island music" is it a racial slur to refer to the fact that the music originated with people who come from islands?

Did African Americans not come originally from a place where the jungle predominates as a bioform, and bring their cultural musical styling with them from said provenance? And voluntarily choose to associate themselves with that musical genre through the present era?
WTF?
  #32  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 PM
igor frankensteen igor frankensteen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,129
I've run across a fair number of people like that bus guy. They were shocking at first, because I could tell there was something unreal about them, which is always a bit frightening, and it took me a while to figure out what they are DOING when they openly and loudly proclaim their whatever-ism.

What I came to recognize, is that these are a certain type of mentally ill people. They are not wildly nuts, just a specific kind of low-grade crazy, that is intriguingly identifiable, and common to every exemplar I come across.

They are always very firm and calm in expressing their insanity;

they very obviously know that almost everyone around them disagrees with their proclamations;

they are invariably PLEASED if you react negatively in response, especially if you appear to move away from them slightly;

they always have a very complete patter all worked out, which they have memorized, including multiple, inevitably circular "arguments" which they will throw at you to explain themselves, should anyone ask;

they all obviously feel that their vile opinions make them inherently superior to everyone else, which is why they are always CALM as they express them;

they purposely selected very clear known trigger words (such as jungle music) to use, in order again, to generate the reaction from listeners which reinforces their sense of accomplishment;

and like this bus guy, they very characteristically and purposely interrupt random strangers on a regular basis, in order to perform their ritual of proclaiming offense. This guy no doubt chose to use the OP, BECAUSE he was listening on earbuds.

Last edited by igor frankensteen; 06-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.
  #33  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM
ThisSpaceForRent ThisSpaceForRent is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: University City, MO
Posts: 1,258
If you listen to jungle music you may catch, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbM781v7M0 ....as Martha says, "this is a good thing"
  #34  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 PM
shunpiker shunpiker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
His intent is immaterial, it is racist to implicitly compare black to jungle. Unless the OP happened to bump into an ethnomusicologist, which if they did that'd be a great detail to add.
(boldin' mine)

Uh, who did that? Czarcasm and some other posters here have, but the gentleman on the bus, according to the info presented in the OP, did not.

I'm not trying to defend the guy on the bus. I'm just cautioning against drawing conclusions from (mostly) non-existant data.
  #35  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Whites elevated; UT
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunpiker View Post
(boldin' mine)

Uh, who did that? Czarcasm and some other posters here have, but the gentleman on the bus, according to the info presented in the OP, did not.

I'm not trying to defend the guy on the bus. I'm just cautioning against drawing conclusions from (mostly) non-existant data.
Besides the OP themselves seeing its racism and my believing their experience as it's told to me, I also see that comparison in the bus guy's comment, yes. You don't, ok; it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.
But when someone shows me who they are, it's my job to see. The majority of people I've given the benefit of the doubt turned out to be exactly as I thought, so you can hand off my 'caution' to someone else b/c I won't be needing it.
May I suggest you look up microaggression and see if it can be applied to your response(s)?
  #36  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 AM
E-DUB E-DUB is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,081
Then there's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU
  #37  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Whites elevated; UT
Posts: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Those of you who don't want to bother, it's a group of black men singing a song w/ the word Jungle in the title.
As to the point of their posting it, E-DUB will have to speak for themselves.
  #38  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:34 AM
actualliberalnotoneofthose actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Jungle music" is a slur on "Black music". I've heard it all my life, and never realized that others may not have heard the term.
I remember this being used in one of the Rocky movies (maybe 3) to show the casual racism of Paulie. I was really young but immediately understood what was meant from the context. He kept ranting about how Rock couldn't "train like a colored fighter" and complaining about the "jungle music" coming from the boombox.

Had I not watched the Rocky movies, I might not have heard it. However, I can't imagine being alive today without seeing the Rocky movies.
  #39  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 AM
Johanna Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 12,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I get it, but... the Beatles? The Stones, maybe, but the Beatles? That's too stupid to be offensive.


(Seriously: does anyone under 80 still think of rock as somehow being "black" music? It just seems so weird to me.)
That is extremely retrograde, an attitude that was obsolete well before the majority of Dopers were even born. But then there are still assholes arguing that women oughtn't have the vote.

This may be a relevant point: Many years ago, I came across a product of the 1960s Black Power movement, the "Black Intelligence Test to Counter Honkeyism (B.I.T.C.H.)" — which was written to demonstrate how IQ tests are culturally/racially biased in their assumptions and questions. All the questions were ones you'd presumably get wrong if you weren't steeped in African-American culture.

So one of the questions was: "Do the Beatles have SOUL?" (uppercase in original)







In case you're wondering about the correct answer, it was "No."
  #40  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 AM
Johanna Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 12,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
First tune on the subject I would have expected is this one.
Time's up!
  #41  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,973
Maybe he should have tried the White Album.
  #42  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
That is extremely retrograde, an attitude that was obsolete well before the majority of Dopers were even born. But then there are still assholes arguing that women oughtn't have the vote.

This may be a relevant point: Many years ago, I came across a product of the 1960s Black Power movement, the "Black Intelligence Test to Counter Honkeyism (B.I.T.C.H.)" — which was written to demonstrate how IQ tests are culturally/racially biased in their assumptions and questions. All the questions were ones you'd presumably get wrong if you weren't steeped in African-American culture.

So one of the questions was: "Do the Beatles have SOUL?" (uppercase in original)


Wow -- I remember you sharing this anecdote the first year I joined the SD.

Time flies.

But it was actually the Black Intelligence Test of Cultural Homogeneity.

Last edited by Bricker; 06-20-2017 at 02:57 AM.
  #43  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Marci Al Marci Al is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 191
Hohum. First world jibes at anything third world can be much worst. And a lot of those given above aren't racist at all, though they might mention a certain race.
  #44  
Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 AM
Spoons Spoons is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 12,511
No message.

Last edited by Spoons; 06-20-2017 at 05:37 AM.
  #45  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
This reminds me of something I've noticed for a long time:

A racist white person assumes all white people are racists.
A sexist man assumes all men are racists.
An antisemitic gentile assumes all gentiles are antisemitic.
A homophobic straight person assumes all straight people are homophobic.
Etc.

I think it gives them an excuse for being what they are, in the sense of "Of course I'm a racist; it's part of being white" or "Of course I'm homophobic; it's part of being straight." I think it behooves those of us who don't fit this pattern to speak up and show them that hatred is not automatic, no matter what you are.
Cree el ladrón que todos son de su condición; a thief believes everybody is also one. Used as advice that if someone's default mindset is to think ill of others... he's giving you warning. And of course, for those more obvious ones you mention.
  #46  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 36,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
That is extremely retrograde, an attitude that was obsolete well before the majority of Dopers were even born. But then there are still assholes arguing that women oughtn't have the vote.
There were four walking mummies in the supermarket yesterday who kept bumping each other up on the subject that there is no need to have laws against rape and sexual assault, because according to them "someone rapes your little girl, you just beat the crap out of him". They didn't even notice the Silence of Doom that formed around them.
  #47  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 27,086
On time at a card table, someone broke one of the informal rules of the table and the guy next to him got mad and said "you just cost me $200, why don't you go back to your country?" to the Latino guy. I was dumbfounded and didn't say anything because I thought they might have known each other.

Another reason I didn't say anything: this was in Miami. The remark, in context, was hilarious.
  #48  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 27,086
I'll balance that with an incident where it was right to not say anything: another time, a player was ranting about Obama, and at some point in his rant, pointed at the only black guy at the table and said "YOUR guy did that!" I was taken aback at this again but said nothing, only to see more clearly later on that the black guy was wearing an Obama cap
  #49  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 AM
MareIt MareIt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 268
I went from Northern VA to Austin TX for a job interview with EA (Electronic Arts). As part of the terms of agreeing to the interview, I asked that they fly me in early so that I could check out Austin and be sure I wanted to move there. This included looking at barns where I could keep my horse.

The first barn I went to, when I left and told them I was heading to barn B, said "that place always looks great because they have lots of Mexicans". The third barn I went to, the owner told me that I would want to live on the west side of Austin because "All of the Blacks and Mexicans live on the east side"

My main thoughts included: "WTF. I am a complete stranger!" and "At least in Texas most of the Hispanic folks are actually Mexican".


Those two conversations were definitely part of the reason I turned down the job. I went into the interview after 2 days of wandering around non-tourist Austin and thought that "I had better LOVE the job if I am going to relocate here" and while I thought the job sounded pretty cool, it wasn't cool enough to pick up my entire life and move to Texas.
  #50  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 18,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Did African Americans not come originally from a place where the jungle predominates as a bioform, and bring their cultural musical styling with them from said provenance? And voluntarily choose to associate themselves with that musical genre through the present era?
You tell us, Livingstone.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017