Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
You know who else is an annoying douchebag? Kelsey Grammer. Fuck you, Frasier!
Kelsey Grammer's gramma is dead, otherwise I'd add, "Fuck you, Kelsey Grammer's gramma!"
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
I'm annoyed that you can't spell grammar.

With so many variables in play, it's always difficult to tell which exact one is causing the annoyance. I find it very annoying.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I honestly had no idea so many people hated drad dog.. I kinda like him. He’s a music snob, but fuck it, I’m an all-around snob.
drad dog isn't a snob, he's a poseur.

And a douchebag.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

And a douchebag.
I respect the distinction and appreciate your nuance.

:: picks up The ModPhone::

Hello, Mods? As the OP, may I ask you to update the thread title? To add "Poseur" right before "troll"? If you get a chance. Thanks.

::Hangs up ModPhone::

Tee-hee!

Last edited by WordMan; 10-17-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I honestly had no idea so many people hated drad dog.. I kinda like him. He’s a music snob, but fuck it, I’m an all-around snob.
If they knew anything about music or could back up anything they spout, then they might aspire to be a snob. drad dog is instead remarkably ignorant of commonly known facts about their heroes, and can't back anything up. The best they have is some claim that they "were there", therefore you can't know any better than themselves. Seriously, they've posted that sort of bullshit in response to me more than once, and I've never caught a hint of irony. Sadly, the facts are that they were merely alive at the same time, far away from the people being discussed, and drad dog never knew any of them. Ya might as well cite Winston Churchill for being an expert on delta blues.

Plus, the dipshit can't even get whether they're acting the part of snob or not straight. This nitwit's tried to insult my taste for being too lowbrow and narrow, then later tried to imply that I was some sort of person who only loved the critic's darlings. Both times it was an obvious attempt for them to try to change the subject and make me defensive after they'd lost the argument. I guess in their mind, I'd just proven that their heroes had feet of clay, and they tried to turn the tables. 'Course, the joke was on them. Not only do I have the self esteem of a typical bass player*, I long ago realized that even on the rare occasion when my tastes were popular they weren't universally so. Oh dear, someone doesn't like my entertainment, what ever shall I do? Oh wait, it's that ignorant asshole? I wouldn't normally care, but I find it hillll-arious now.

*Very low, but steady and durable.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You know who else is an annoying douchebag? Kelsey Grammer. Fuck you, Frasier!
I heard Kelsey looked into his family tree and found out he had an uncle in the Third Reich. Yeah, the guy was a real Grammer Nazi.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 PM

I don't know the subject of the OP from Adam, but it amuses me to bump this thread so the title is at the top of the Pit. So I am. Also, I'm kind of "meh" about Tom Petty.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Ukulele Ike* - sharing a little Snob Love from Brooklyn! Are you saying you identify with his inner hipster?

*i like to abbreviate usernames if they come across as nicely-intended and fun. I was getting ready to reply to your post, and typed out "Uke Ike" but then mentally said it out loud.
Just one of the little booby traps I like to use to seed my lawn...(evil chuckle).

Please, call me Uke.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I don't know the subject of the OP from Adam, but it amuses me to bump this thread so the title is at the top of the Pit. So I am. Also, I'm kind of "meh" about Tom Petty.
That was the genius of Tom Petty. He never wanted or expected more than "meh" and he mehed his way to great success without ever compromising or changing with the current fads of the day. Through punk, metal, glam rock, rap, hip hop, house, trance and all the rest he continued to do exactly his thing, sold a lot of albums and sold out a lot of shows, and contributed a track or two to the soundtracks of the lives of millions of people.

<bump>
Old 10-19-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just one of the little booby traps I like to use to seed my lawn...(evil chuckle).

Please, call me Uke.
Oh, Uke!

:bump:

Crazyhorse - I would argue Petty could claim a small amount of....Americana?...in his music that helped his stuff stay acceptable through fashions. A little Wlico, a little CCR, a tad of Mellancamp, and ultimately a dash of Dylan, which I hadn't seen coming until they toured for two years.

:bumpity bump bump:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Snobbery isn't all that bad if it's actually based on comprehensible standards.

"I'm far too sophisticated to accept the work of someone who appeals to mass tastes", not so much.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:02 PM

bump
Old 10-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
bump
You know what I would call someone who took the time to *bump* a thread just to poke a troll?

I'd say they were being Petty.

[bumpity bump bump bump]
Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Hah!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Crazyhorse - I would argue Petty could claim a small amount of....Americana?...in his music that helped his stuff stay acceptable through fashions. A little Wlico, a little CCR, a tad of Mellancamp, and ultimately a dash of Dylan, which I hadn't seen coming until they toured for two years.
A good example of this can be found in "Free Fallin'" - an arguably Dylanesque and Mellancampish piece.

In An Ode To Tom Petty, writing teacher Roy Peter Clark shows us exactly why someone like Dylan recognizes Petty as the underrated talent that he was while somoene like drad dog - unable to hear beneath the surface of what to an untrained ear sounds like just another simple little ditty - thinks he was overrated. (and should go fuck a cactus)

Quote:
I find these lyrics haunting, profound through and beneath the surface of sound. Most important for our purposes, this piece of short writing is efficient beyond measure, so economical, in fact, that it leads us to the edge of a great abyss.

She’s a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America too
She’s a good girl, crazy ‘bout Elvis
Loves horses and her boyfriend too

Stories have few essential requirements, but one of them involves the identification and evolution of a human character, formed on the page by a quilt of what Tom Wolfe called “status details,” or, more commonly, character traits. Petty doesn’t offer us much in his first stanza in the way of particularity. He asks us to settle for a litany of common, almost clichéd characteristics. God, mother, horses, form a kind of baseline, drawn, as we will learn, by a greatly flawed narrator, another staple of modern fiction...

It’s a long day livin’ in Reseda
There’s a freeway runnin’ through the yard
And I’m a bad boy, ‘cause I don’t even miss her
I’m a bad boy for breakin’ her heart

A story needs a setting, and this one serves in both literal and symbolic ways. Poets know that place-names are powerful, and Reseda, a working-class suburb of Los Angeles, has the sound of “receding” in it, a kind of annihilation by subtraction. That freeway runs a little too close for comfort. Usually, the poorest folks in town live closest to the highway or the airport or the railroad tracks, a kind of lifeline to freedom that remains inaccessible.

Just below the surface here is the joke that California is so cluttered with people and traffic that the freeway is not free at all but a clotted artery of the body politic, a society all revved up but going nowhere. That last line reverberates with some kind of dark humor and self-effacement, as Petty leads a great band known as the Heartbreakers.

And I’m free, I’m free fallin’, fallin’

In this simple chorus, Petty puts into play some very sophisticated moves, both poetically and musically. I experience it as a form of binary energy, an on/off switch, a double helix of language in which the words alliterate, form connections, but then break away at the level of semantics and narrative.

A free fall is a common expression of physical weightlessness, a state in physics and art where an object or person seems to defy gravity even while plummeting to the ground. Petty, quite dramatically, puts his vocal range to good use, hitting his highest note on the elongated vowel of “free.” But each time he repeats “fallin’,” the notes go down in pitch.

All the vampires walkin’ through the valley
Move west down Ventura Blvd.
And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
All the good girls are home with broken hearts

This is my favorite stanza, linked and separated by alliteration. The first quartet includes “vampires,” “valley,” “Ventura,” and even “Blvd.,” where those v’s pile up like crashed cars in a smoky fog. There is even time and space here for what critics call intertextuality, the evocation of one text by another. “Though I walk through that valley of the shadow of death,” reads the Twenty-third Psalm, but here the allusion packs some irony. Instead of comforting and consoling, the world of the narrator is gloomy and tragic, haunted by the walking dead of the San Fernando Valley.

And I’m free, I’m free fallin’
I wanna glide down over Mulholland
I wanna write her name in the sky
I wanna free fall out into nothin’
Gonna leave this world for a while

In this final stanza the voice of the narrator tells a story of despair, of drug use or suicide perhaps, of escape from responsibility and the requirements of love. And yet the diction is a language of light, those liquid L sounds in “glide” and “Mulholland,” the creativity and romance signified by skywriting, but then comes the nihilism of “free fall out into nothin’” and the painful euphemism of leaving the world “for a while.”

We can make the interpretation of this text even more granular in the tension between the names of those iconic California streets, Ventura and Mulholland.

If that initial capital V looks like a valley, with all its symbolic connotations of depression and despair, that M is its counterpart, two mountain peaks with a valley in the middle, a launching place in the hills above Hollywood, a land of dreams and of lost boys and girls.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hah!!!
Hah?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 AM

drad dog was unfamiliar to me, but I just stumbled on the following post in another thread and recalled that he was the subject of a Pitting.

America is now serving the worst catastrophe in its history since the Civil War. Why should we worry about a petty musician when the country and perhaps even Western civilization is under a severe threat?

Please reserve all your anger for Trump, the GOP and the millions of ignorant Americans happily leading this country to perdition.

I reject this Pitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
He is serving an administration where racism is endemic. He is actively participating in the administration to protect it's flanks, and if you look back this (Flank protecting) has been racist very often.

He is lying about a woman who he doesn't know in any sense, who is black, from the podium, while representing the white house to Americans.

It seems like the only thing he really remembered from that speech that day was that she was black. And that seems to be enough for a lot of americans now. He was exploiting that in a despicable manner. This is evidenced by the lies.

She feels she was the victim of racism and would call it out. I don't have a problem.

This is the loss of one important adult in the oval office though. Actually it's just a warning that he was not the adult we thought he was. I don't think he can serve much longer. I'm having my doubts about huckabeesanders too. It's a shit show.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I reject this Pitting.
Lighten up, Francis. Condemning the shit show that US politics has become doesn't grant some kind of immunity from being pitted for being a pretentious douchenugget. Are you really having trouble finding discussions about Il Douche and his merry men in relevant threads?

You know who would have agreed with you about Trump though? Tom Petty. That's who.

Quote:
Tom Petty himself was open about his political views. Petty did not constantly speak about his politics or use his politics to sell his music, but he never hid his fairly progressive political views. In his recent tour for the 40th anniversary of his band, Petty showed a number of photos of a diverse group of women while he sang the song, “American Girl.” And whether he intended to or not, Petty sent a message of support to transgender people by showing a photo of late transgender actress Alexis Arquette hours after Trump sent out a tweet about banning transgender people in the military.

When Petty did speak out, he did not mince words. He called the war in Iraq “shameful,” and added, “The guy lied. And he continues to do so. I can’t understand why he’s just not run out on a rail.”

Petty once threatened to sue George W. Bush for using one of his songs, “I Won’t Back Down” for a campaign rally. He sent the presidential candidate a cease-and-desist letter.

In contrast, Petty appeared to be thrilled when President Barack Obama played the same song in 2012 at the Democratic National Convention. Petty told Rolling Stone, “I got chills… They knew it would be OK. I’ve had a chance to meet the president and talk to him about the music he listens to.”

He wasn’t afraid to wade into emotionally charged controversies. When asked what his song, “Playing Dumb,” was about, Petty said it related to sex abuse within the Catholic Church. “If I was in a club, and I found out that there had been generations of people abusing children, and then that club was covering that up, I would quit the club,” Petty told Billboard in 2014.

Petty said that too often, Christians endorsed violence. “I’ve nothing against defending yourself, but I don’t think, spiritually speaking, that there’s any conception of God that should be telling you to be violent,” Petty said.

Petty’s song wasn’t subtle in its message to the Catholic Church. It mentioned the pope’s “red leather loafers” and men of God:

Well let’s light a candle for every kid
For every soul that was done away with
For every confession that wasn’t on the level
For every man of God that lives with hidden Devils

It wasn’t the only one of his songs that was clearly about an actual news event. Petty said that the song, “Learning to Fly,” was inspired by images he saw of the Gulf War on television.

He also wrote about a readiness to learn new things in his memoir, Runnin’ Down a Dream: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Petty writes that people should always be prepared to learn something new and keep an open mind to other perspectives:

You will never be told when the next bit of education is coming or where it’s coming from or who the teacher will be. That information will only reveal itself after the fact. All that you can do is leave a little room there for the next lesson to come through. Someone will be carrying it. You just leave the door open a crack.

This openness to learn new things may have helped Petty understand where he went wrong and change accordingly without any defensiveness. Two years ago, Petty told Rolling Stone that the marketing for his tour “Southern Accents” in 1985, which featured a Confederate flag, was a “downright stupid thing to do.”

“People just need to think about how it looks to a black person. It’s just awful. It’s like how a swastika looks to a Jewish person,” Petty said.

Some of Petty’s music feels new again in this political moment. Most people can understand a feeling of resentment. And if there’s anyone who should feel resentment over injustice, it’s the most marginalized people in America. Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker’s “American Girl” is a great example of how relevant Petty’s music is today. The Handmaid’s Tale, a story that people have turned to in their grief over the Trump administration, with its increasingly authoritarian statements and its assault on women’s reproductive rights, ended its last episode of the season with the song.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I reject this Pitting.
This is serious? Really? I'm Colin freakin' Kaepernick now because my protest against messageboard douchebaggery is supersede-able by the greater cause of Presidential douchebaggery?! Did you just get up from the Colts-Niners game, sir?

Dude.

Fortunately, I'm a Niners fan (Redwood City back when it was plain, baby!), and admire his actions.

What about the fact that drad drag and Donald Trump are both smug, douchebag trolls?!?! Hunh?! Hunh?! I am doing America a service I tell you, highlighting this behavior in this specific, perfidious manifestation.

You're welcome, America.

ETA: Crazyhorse - bludgeoning folks with text is never pretty, but I appreciate the intent all the way.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-22-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Wow. When you start dipping less frequently into SDMB - as I have - you miss a lot of undercurrents and history. As best I could tell, drad dog was just some guy prolly named Goddard who had interesting musical tastes, but clearly he's pissed off a lot of people.

It's hard to keep up with the internal politics of this place.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Wow. When you start dipping less frequently into SDMB - as I have - you miss a lot of undercurrents and history. As best I could tell, drad dog was just some guy prolly named Goddard who had interesting musical tastes, but clearly he's pissed off a lot of people.

It's hard to keep up with the internal politics of this place.
Read the Prince thread I link to in the OP. Classic Dope blend of perspectives, with a turd or two in the punch bowl. You've always approached music threads thoughtfully, Maserschmidt - a good thread shouldn't have any fucking internal politics, right?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 AM

May I just ask - what is with septimus and the crazy font shenanigans lately?

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 10-22-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
drad dog was unfamiliar to me, but I just stumbled on the following post in another thread and recalled that he was the subject of a Pitting.

America is now serving the worst catastrophe in its history since the Civil War. Why should we worry about a petty musician when the country and perhaps even Western civilization is under a severe threat?

Please reserve all your anger for Trump, the GOP and the millions of ignorant Americans happily leading this country to perdition.

I reject this Pitting.
So no one is allowed to be pissed off about anything else but Trump during his administration? And if a douchebag is anti-Trump, that let's his douchebaggery off the hook?

Douchebag.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
May I just ask - what is with septimus and the crazy font shenanigans lately?

shouty voice, tsk tsk
Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
ETA: Crazyhorse - bludgeoning folks with text is never pretty, but I appreciate the intent all the way.
It's not supposed to be pretty. It's supposed to be Petty. When Google digests this thread in its entirety it will be getting bumped for years into the future by people doing all kinds of searches about Tom Petty. I'm petty but I'm also lazy. I prefer to automate rubbing drad dog's nose in it even after the novelty has worn off for the current participants.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
It's not supposed to be pretty. It's supposed to be Petty. When Google digests this thread in its entirety it will be getting bumped for years into the future by people doing all kinds of searches about Tom Petty. I'm petty but I'm also lazy. I prefer to automate rubbing drad dog's nose in it even after the novelty has worn off for the current participants.
You play with a long view, sir. I couldn't get the title right, and you're planning for when Skynet drives this Pitting. I feel like one of the McDonald's brothers talking to Ray Kroc.

Would you like fries with that :bump:?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM

That idiot is still bitching about the thread title.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=839725
Old 10-23-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Obviously hasn't fucked enough cacti yet.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Obviously hasn't fucked enough cacti yet.
Clearly it's the cactus' turn to fuck him for a change.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Clearly it's the cactus' turn to fuck him for a change.
Maybe we need a GD thread: Is it worse to fuck a cactus or to be fucked by a cactus. Discuss.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good lord, the gift that keeps on giving.

Keep fuckin' that cactus, ddog.

I noticed his thoughtful contribution to the Petty vs Mellencamp thread. Other folks are offering their POVs from all angles, then drad doggy dog posts (I paraphrase) "anyone can see JCM is a hack and a loser and if you like him, you are so uncool."

Sigh.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
drad dog, I've had enough. The last straw is in your "I think Tom Petty is overrated" thread when you say, in response to someone commenting that some folks might think Prince is overrated, you reply:

To be clear: No one started a thread about Prince being overrated. Here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=791111 The OP is asking why folks hold him up so highly. YOU, however, stopped by to threadshit, oh, excuse me, "drop some supposedly heretical knowledge on folks who think they know better" where basically you came across as a three year who kept asking WHY?
"I don't like that track!!!! Prove it to me!!! Is this the track that is supposed to change my mind?!?!?? Guitarists aren't real artists anyway, and my rules matter most!!!"
No, you chucklehead, we are not here to come on bended knee bringing you tasty treats. Fucking engage in a dialogue and respect what others have to say.

But that ain't gonna happen.

As for Petty, at least you had the decency to start a separate "Prove it to me. Prove it to me. I am smugger and douchier than thou, but Prove it to me anyway" thread.

As many folks are chiming in, Petty was never on a majority's tippy top list. But he was like the Oakland Raiders in the 1970's - they were your second-faves beyond your fanboy/girl team. You just kinda liked them.

However, he sold a HUGE volume of records. Gained the songwriting respect of Bob Dylan and George Harrison. Had songs that are part of the fabric of (certainly U.S.) culture from the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's. Free Fallin' will be used for some 3D holo-documentary about the U.S. in a hundred or so years when you and I will be long forgotten.

And you want me/Dopers to prove to you that he's not overrated? Fuck you. He's worthy of more respect than you, you smug douche. Petty was never my guy - I maintain four or so of his songs on guitar and rarely put on his albums - but I understand the facts of his career and respect him for it. Coming at it from that standpoint, one might choose to observe that perhaps Bob Dylan and George Harrison found a concise haiku in the best of Petty's lyrics: "She was an American Girl, raised on promises." "You think you're gonna take her away, with your money and your cocaine." "She was a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis." We can picture these people in a phrase. What can you write that comes close to that? Petty's best songs capture a longing, an outsider's isolation and bitterness, in a way that Sting, Mr. King of Pain, can only approach with a sledgehammer.

But you would never have a conversation that led to that type of discussion because you are such a fucking smug douchebag troll.

Go away or grow up.
Huh...and here I thought it was just me who thought this guy was a super douche and troll. I have to say, I never encountered this poster until a GD thread on the 2nd Amendment, but I found him incredibly annoying. I was torn between him just being stupid or deliberately trolling. Based on this thread and some of the responses, seems both could be true. Good pitting and well deserved!

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
What a weenie.

I'm reminded of what a weenie Tom Petty wasn't. He was fearless in his delivery from the time he was a teenager. drad dog's cowardice and lack of basic musical sensibilities stand in sharp contrast to Petty's authentic, swaggering confidence and musical talent.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 AM

I don't often come into the Pit, so I'd been unaware of this particular pitting until now.

Also, I nearly never swear, so I'm getting *that* out of my system here, too.

First: if you're enough of an asshat to get WordMan, of all people, to start a Pit thread...holy fucking shit, dude! WordMan's one of the most intelligent, reasoned people on this board, for fuck's sake.

Second: I agree with many of my colleagues here -- drad dog's "contributions" to music discussions are useless, and I've learned to just tune them out. I never went into his "I hate Tom Petty" thread because I knew it'd be a waste of my time and energy.

And, finally:

Quote:
You don't think I'm "tall and extra pretty"?!
You are a terribly handsome man, my friend.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I don't often come into the Pit, so I'd been unaware of this particular pitting until now.

Also, I nearly never swear, so I'm getting *that* out of my system here, too.

First: if you're enough of an asshat to get WordMan, of all people, to start a Pit thread...holy fucking shit, dude! WordMan's one of the most intelligent, reasoned people on this board, for fuck's sake.

Second: I agree with many of my colleagues here -- drad dog's "contributions" to music discussions are useless, and I've learned to just tune them out. I never went into his "I hate Tom Petty" thread because I knew it'd be a waste of my time and energy.

And, finally: You are a terribly handsome man, my friend.
And you, sir, have a keen eye and discerning air about you.

And, seriously, thanks. What's cool about the Dope is that geekery shared with reasoned interest wins out over partially warmed-over douchiness. Folks are saying I am good guy; that's great, but mostly it's because I think our rules make great sense and I try to embrace them - with apparent exception of word choice in the Pit . *

What's fascinating is that, back in the TP v JCM thread in CS, a whole bunch of folks who rarely, if ever, hang out in music threads (lurkers maybe??), have posted really thoughtful things about both artists. Having a bit less douchiness in a thread is inviting, especially when the topic is worthy and kinda poignant. It's a way to articulate a form of respect for either person you favor, or both.

(Petty as Edward Hopper. Hmm. I would argue that JCM is Hopper - I see a remove to both of their works, although in the other thread, folks are offering examples otherwise. Tom Petty is, I dunno, Pony Boy. Or Steve Rogers pre Super Soldier injection. Norman Rockwell painting John Steinbeck scenes. Hmm, gotta post this in the other thread...)

*In the ATMB, ddog started his thread. His comment was something like "I may need it (be able to say the wrong thing, like I did) really quickly." If that's for me, cool. But this thread's been here for a bit now, so I'm not sure what's quick about it. You're around and still posting. You saw my earlier post about what this comes down to: You have a lousy posting approach. Once you've gotten as upset as you need to be because of the wording - and here I thought I was being Punk Rock and you'd respect my directness - if you have something to say, get in here and fucking well say it.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-24-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 AM

After Colibri's reponse, I would not try it, either. He's not allowed to bring up the topic again, and was specifically told "don't do it" in response to saying "Fuck you" to you.

He clearly believes he is being unfairly treated by the mods. In those situations, I would be scared to rock the boat, unless I was willing to wind up banned.

And, yes, those threads are douchy, and he should stop. It's possible to do that sort of thread and not be douchy, but he didn't.

Last edited by BigT; 10-24-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

He can tell me to go fuck whatever his heart desires, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll appreciate his intent
Old 10-24-2017, 08:12 AM

How did I miss this pitting until now!?

I'm surprised that this didn't come after the Prince thread and even more surprised that he got Wordman to pit him!

As a lifelong musician and music fan, there's nothing I hate more than negative criticism of any music. Douchebags that try to impose their "superior" musical tastes are fucking poseurs who probably could string 3 chords together or write a fucking limerick.

If you don't like it or get it, that's fine but you have to be a real asshat to not appreciate that other people DO like it and DO get it.

Luckily, Tom Petty left a message for drad dog ....everyone feel free to join in on the chorus!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
What's cool about the Dope is that geekery shared with reasoned interest wins out over partially warmed-over douchiness.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
*i like to abbreviate usernames if they come across as nicely-intended and fun. I was getting ready to reply to your post, and typed out "Uke Ike" but then mentally said it out loud.
Hee hee, that was funny! As I assume Uke knows, "yoo-koo-lay-lee" isn't ideally how it's pronounced. I'm no native for sure, but I've lived in Hawaii enough that "yoo" sounds touristy. Locals say it more like "ook-oo-LEH-leh."

::checks Google:: ...Yeah, here's a cite that agrees:

Quote:
People keep on saying this wrong...I am reediting this again.. it's not, nor was it yoo-kə-lay-lee.. The correct way to say this word is OO-koo-LE-le.. It means Jumping flea in Hawaiian. It was created when the Hawaiians saw the Portuguese playing the instrument really fast.. I am a native Hawaiian (mixed) and have been here in Hawaii my whole life. When saying this word you should never say LAY or LEE.

From the first time anyone started the word with "yoo" someone should have corrected them on the pronunciation. It is a Hawaiian word therefore the correct way to say it in the Hawaiian language should come first and foremost. Variations must be included, of course, stating and stressing that although they have become popular ways to say it, they are most definitely wrong.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 AM

That's not a cite, it's an opinion and if you look at the actual article, they lost the fight.

"The ukulele (/juːkəˈleɪliː/ yoo-kə-LAY-lee, from Hawaiian: ʻukulele [ˈʔukuˈlɛlɛ] (oo-koo-leh-leh); variant: ukelele,)"
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Hee hee, that was funny! As I assume Uke knows, "yoo-koo-lay-lee" isn't ideally how it's pronounced. I'm no native for sure, but I've lived in Hawaii enough that "yoo" sounds touristy. Locals say it more like "ook-oo-LEH-leh."

::checks Google:: ...Yeah, here's a cite that agrees:
Hi CCarol - hope your boy is enjoying sophomore year. My son's freshman year was tough, but he's in a much better spot now.

Ukes: You sound like my dad! He only said ookulele and corrected folks. Y'see my mom leads the local uke group. She collects and has maybe 55 including Portuguese proto-ukes and early Kamakas. She rolls with the pronunciation even while it rubbed my dad the wrong way!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:44 AM

Tom Petty gets played in grocery stores. That automatically nullifies everything he's ever accomplished.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Tom Petty gets played in grocery stores. That automatically nullifies everything he's ever accomplished.
My grocery store plays everything from Adele to Prince to Whitney Houston. Careers nullified!!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:55 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
My grocery store plays everything from Adele to Prince to Whitney Houston. Careers nullified!!
I was amused to hear a Muzak version of The Clash's London Calling in my supermarket here in Panama.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A bit of my soul died when heard the Musak version of "Revolution" in a store.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I was amused to hear a Muzak version of The Clash's London Calling in my supermarket here in Panama.
My store, Ralphs/Kroger in Westwood, Los Angeles, plays mostly safe popish songs from several genres. But they are on the cutting edge of grocery stores: They have a sushi bar, a beer and wine bar, a juice bar and a Starbucks.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
While a fine topic - I choose to disagree, but there ya go - I am not sure I grok how this observation relates to drad dog's douchebagginess.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out
Quote:
While a fine topic - I choose to disagree, but there ya go - I am not sure I grok how this observation relates to drad dog's douchebagginess.
I thought I heard a whooshing sound, but maybe it was just white noise (which has a more calming effect than Muzak).
Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I thought I heard a whooshing sound, but maybe it was just white noise (which has a more calming effect than Muzak).
Ah - he was speaking in the voice of ddog?? Man, you all are playing chess, and I'm playing Chopsticks. No. Wait...