Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 PM

No, I am not in San Bernadino

But today I found out that the firm has no mechanism for reporting or responding to a some kind of attack.

Maybe we'll work on one tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaerie View Post
FCM, I'm in that situation right now, and it's not likely to get much busier with the O&G business slowing down so much. But I'm not going to jump ship, the pay and benefits are too good. So I'll sit here and get paid to read TheDope.
Fortunately, my bennies are thru my retirement, and while the pay is nice, it's not my primary reason for working. I wanted to do something other than surf on line like I was doing at home... Anyway, my resume went out last night. We shall see. Meanwhile, I've been in the office for 90 minutes and I've had maybe 5 minutes worth of work to do so far.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Most people dread political discussions with relatives...I dread going to work and having to listen to a certain co-worker who likes to start his day by showing up in the office of one of the project engineers and loudly complaining about things that are wrong with America. I can hear him through two walls, a cube divider, and a set of decent ear buds. >.<
Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Another day, another Annoying Coworker story. We had a meeting today (one of many, so I got almost no real work done). I feel bad for my coworker who was running the meeting because we started the meeting talking about a part of this project that affects me, and we spent too much time on that, partly because Annoying Coworker and Whiny Coworker sidetracked the discussion into things we shouldn't have even been talking about at that meeting. Annoying Coworker doesn't like the way we're doing something that she has absolutely nothing to do with, and she demanded that we do it a different way that would make my job harder, take more time, and make my products worse. Of course my supervisor respects her input much more than mine, so she's probably going to want to start doing things that way, at which point I might say take this job and shove it. Whiny Coworker doesn't like that a project isn't being done the way he wants it done (which is mostly problematic because I'm the only one that actually ever does any work on that project, and I don't have time to do it the way he wants it done).

Other small gripes: People who want to schedule a meeting, so I give them a nice selection of times that I have open, and they won't pick a time, so I end up picking a time for them, and of course when the meeting time comes, they're tied up doing something else so they can't come to the meeting. Just pick a damn time. I'm tired of this. Also, people who don't read emails, so I have to keep asking them to redo something even though all the information they needed was in the email. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 PM

A couple of years ago, a major tenant moved out of my office building, leaving 3/4 of it empty. The vacancy has since been filled up with many small businesses, including techie start-up kinds of businesses. The building demographic has skewed from stodgy older accountant types to young glued-to-cellphone, hacky sack-playing types.

My building has a four-story parking garage for the office workers. Our new younger demographic are crappy drivers and we've had a few accidents and near-accidents in the parking garage.

So building management has constructed lots of speed bumps in the garage. A good idea, you might say, but they're horrible. There are far too many of them, they're steep and abrupt rather than smooth, and they're made of cheapo crumbly asphalt. The painted yellow stripes have worn off in just two weeks, and the asphalt is crumbling away and scattering gravel all over the garage.

Drivers of low-clearance sports cars are scraping when they go over the bumps. I drive a higher-clearance car with light truck tires, and I feel like I'm going offroad when I drive in our garage. Everyone's complaining about getting paint chips from kicked-up gravel.

It sucks.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEyes View Post
Annoying Coworker doesn't like the way we're doing something that she has absolutely nothing to do with, and she demanded that we do it a different way that would make my job harder, take more time, and make my products worse. Of course my supervisor respects her input much more than mine, so she's probably going to want to start doing things that way, at which point I might say take this job and shove it.
I have a co-worker like that.

I've said that if she was put in charge of airline pre-flight checks, she would have the pilot personally walking the plane and checking off that each passenger was correctly buckled in. Then, in the middle of the flight, she'd notice that someone was unbuckled and call the pilot over the PA, for everyone to hear, and ask if he had checked that individual passenger or not.

She tried to tell me and my boss that I needed to do a specific process in a way that would take about 5 times longer, catch very few additional errors (of no consequence) and ensure that I'd never get the job done. Boss started to back her up. Then I pointed out that I was the only one who had ever done that process for the last several years and that neither she nor anyone else on the team had done it for almost a year before I picked it up. So if she wanted it done that way, then I expected that she would start handling it herself. Otherwise here's my process and I'm doing it this way as long as I'm the only one doing it.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM

I recently started a new job that doesn't permit employees to use any browser other than Internet Explorer.

That counts, right?
Old 12-05-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I recently started a new job that doesn't permit employees to use any browser other than Internet Explorer.

That counts, right?
Well, yes, I'd definitely call that a rant about an unimproved workplace.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post

That counts, right?
Doesn't count; that's the fault of using the browser instead of an independent interface for some application that needs to be validated. Most people at my company have at least two browsers, one for the validated application(s) and others for actually going on-line safely and efficiently.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:28 PM

I'd count that, since it sounds like Spice Weasel's company (and mine!) won't permit the installation of that second browser.

Honestly, I'd be happy just with an upgrade to IE11; we're stuck with IE9, and more and more websites are (rightfully) refusing to work with such an old browser. Nothing mission-critical yet, though.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silophant View Post
I'd count that, since it sounds like Spice Weasel's company (and mine!) won't permit the installation of that second browser.
It is amazing to me that with all the senseless restrictions and other decisions from IT, we can download any browser we want.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

We used to be able to install any browser, though we had to get permission from IT to make it the default. Now, everything except IE10 is blocked. Even the extensions are blocked! I was running Chrome with Ad Blocker and Ghostery...
Old 12-06-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silophant View Post
Honestly, I'd be happy just with an upgrade to IE11; we're stuck with IE9, and more and more websites are (rightfully) refusing to work with such an old browser. Nothing mission-critical yet, though.
When we were on the worse-than-useless 'work programme' that's supposed to help people on jobseeker's allowance get jobs (but doesn't), their computers' OS and IE were so out of date that I couldn't even download job applications to fill them out there. I would have to go home to do that anyway, so why waste the time and effort (and patience and mental health) going to their stupid bloody office to search for the jobs in the first place? Pissed me off.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM

I've been on vacation since Thanksgiving and I go back to work tomorrow. I'm in a new department now where people aren't normally supposed to contact me directly, we have a general mailbox that gets doled out amongst the team. So in theory I shouldn't come back to 300+ unread emails like the last time I went on vacation even though someone was supposed to be monitoring my inbox. We'll see.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I have a co-worker like that.

I've said that if she was put in charge of airline pre-flight checks, she would have the pilot personally walking the plane and checking off that each passenger was correctly buckled in. Then, in the middle of the flight, she'd notice that someone was unbuckled and call the pilot over the PA, for everyone to hear, and ask if he had checked that individual passenger or not.

She tried to tell me and my boss that I needed to do a specific process in a way that would take about 5 times longer, catch very few additional errors (of no consequence) and ensure that I'd never get the job done. Boss started to back her up. Then I pointed out that I was the only one who had ever done that process for the last several years and that neither she nor anyone else on the team had done it for almost a year before I picked it up. So if she wanted it done that way, then I expected that she would start handling it herself. Otherwise here's my process and I'm doing it this way as long as I'm the only one doing it.
Oh gods, there's more than one of her? You have my deepest sympathy. Some day maybe they'll end up working together, and the world will collapse into a black hole of annoyingness.

My Annoying Coworker is a tattler. As a bit of background, I was never the kind of child that called anyone else a tattletale. But she is. It's like being back in kindergarten again. The real problem is not so much how she acts, because I can handle problem coworkers, but my supervisor (who is NOT her supervisor) will take her side and want to do things her way, and that is just too much. She can say whatever she wants, but when it makes my job more difficult, that's when it's a problem. I will be so happy when I leave this job and I never have to work with her again. It will be the happiest day of my life. I'm going to get a very nice bottle of champagne and celebrate, celebrate, celebrate! (We should have a little tipsy smiley with a party hat)

My supervisor is also very bad about wanting to do things that only I do in a different way that would be much more difficult and time-consuming. So far I've kept doing things my way, but I'm sure this will be an issue some day.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
But today I found out that the firm has no mechanism for reporting or responding to a some kind of attack.

Maybe we'll work on one tomorrow.
We had what they called 'Active Shooter Training' one time and the presenters were just a little too enthusiastic. It was like they wanted it to happen and dreamed about it every night so they could play hero with their little pistols.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 PM

The woman who sits across from me only works in the office about 2 days a month. I wish it was less, because all day she's YELLING INTO HER PHONE.

Bitch had the gall to complain to someone that she hated working in the office because it was too loud.

Only when you're here, bigmouth.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM

My part-time workplace has been sold. New owner has to re-do all the employment crap and I have to try to find my passport that I haven't needed since 2004. The email was just sent this evening with a Thursday deadline. Um. OK. I don't work there again until Saturday and I'm NOT making a 2-hour round trip just to drop off my proof of employability where I've been working for the last 11 years. Y'all already have copies of the same shit. I'll fax it and leave you the originals when I'm there on Saturday.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
We had what they called 'Active Shooter Training' one time and the presenters were just a little too enthusiastic. It was like they wanted it to happen and dreamed about it every night so they could play hero with their little pistols.
Yeah, I don't know about Active Shooter Training, but it would be nice to have clear maps to the nearest exist in main corridors, an effective company wide communication system other than the fire alarm, rally points NOT the in the path of emergency vehicles or under four levels of concrete, automatic unlocking of secure rooms, general shelter in place instructions ... even reminders on how to call out to 911 would be a help.

My last company had a one person HSE department who did a better job.

Last edited by j666; 12-07-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:38 PM

I had a crappy day. Sometimes I really hate working on computers.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I had a crappy day. Sometimes I really hate working on computers.
Hope tomorrow's better. If it helps, I just had a coworker from another department have to come back to work to finish a project because her PC at home may have gotten fried by a power outage. It was already a long day, she went home to finish the project (deadline tonight) over the phone with the 3rd party, and couldn't finish. Once she got back here (after calling me to make sure she could get into the building since I'm the only one ever here after 8pm), she got back on the phone with the 3rd party and that person's computer crashed. Was able to recover, but she just left at 12:20am. She started work at 7am.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
Hope tomorrow's better. If it helps, I just had a coworker from another department have to come back to work to finish a project because her PC at home may have gotten fried by a power outage. It was already a long day, she went home to finish the project (deadline tonight) over the phone with the 3rd party, and couldn't finish. Once she got back here (after calling me to make sure she could get into the building since I'm the only one ever here after 8pm), she got back on the phone with the 3rd party and that person's computer crashed. Was able to recover, but she just left at 12:20am. She started work at 7am.
Whatever you do, don't let that person anywhere near your computer.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'll admit right up front that this isn't a huge deal, but OMG, stop already with the Pumpkin Spice air freshener in the ladies' room!!!! I don't like artificial scents anyway, whether in cleaning products, potpourri, or spray cans. I especially don't like fakey food scents, and when they're confined to a small space, they're overpowering and gross! Whatever you're doing in the stalls can't possibly smell that disgusting.

I need to go outside and inhale some jet exhaust to clear my nose.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM

Not really a rant, but if I'm a salesman who put together a 3-page pitch / offer to a company, where I'm trying to sell my software that will automate and ensure quality control over data, I'd do my damnedest to make sure I refer to my potential client correctly throughout the document, and proofread it to verify I don't accidentally refer to them by their competitor's name at some point.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Whatever you're doing in the stalls can't possibly smell that disgusting.
Someone at my workplace will occasionally leave the ladies' room smelling like a cross between rancid fried food and seriously rotten fruit. Also, the only available deodorizers are Gain-scented.

So if you've ever wondered what it would be like if someone did #2 in the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store...
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Dear Newly Ex-Co-worker:

Don't let the door hit ya, etc.

But did ya hafta quit NOW?

(Retail sucks this time of year. Being shorthanded sucks any time of year. The amount of turnover we've had lately is annoying. I doubt we'll replace the person in question until after New Year's, and I think we're about to lose another one because they are being a pain in Boss's neck. I don't know details, I'm just tired of the string of new names on the schedule and new faces passing through).

Dear Unloved Co-worker:

I do not understand how you can feel so uniquely put-upon for the amount of work you put in today. You seem to think that unreasonable things were asked of you, and you went above and beyond the call of duty, and frankly, I don't see it.

And when you ask me a question, I never feel like you understand the answer I give the first time. (And I can't believe you've worked here as long as you have and not picked up on my scheduling quirks, although it's probably not actually fair to judge you for that).

But I reserve the right to judge you for being slow as molasses and way too willing to talk to whomever about nothing and refuse to pass messages to someone for you.

And there's a reason I showed up to be helpful *after* you left, and not before. It's 'cuz I don't like you.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:33 AM

I'm sure that if we had an active shooter drill, it would look like one of those whomp the gopher games. People's heads would just keep popping over the tops of cubes to see what was going on because nobody read the damned emails or understood what was going on.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Yesterday morning, I asked my boss for something to do because I'd finished everything he'd given me. He said "Take a break" and that was the last I saw of him. I did get a couple of small tasks from the engineer I've been working with, but they didn't fill more than an hour.

I had about an hour's work waiting for me when I came in this morning. I went to my boss - almost FOUR HOURS AGO - to ask for some work. Nothing.

When I was in the limbo of waiting for my computer accounts to be set up and all that early-job silliness, I heard a lot of talk about backlogs. I thought I'd be busy. But for the most part, I waste a lot of time, like now. I've got one resume out and I'm thinking of sending out a few more. I don't have to work, being retired, but I want to work because I was bored being around the house all day. Now I'm bored in a cubicle.

This sucketh mightily!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:15 PM

"You're leaving already?"
Yes, because I can't friggin hear my clients over your yammering. I was in office for only 90 minutes and heard about Santa picture woes, your dislike of ham, your husband's dislike of turkey, who all is coming over for Xmas, what you bought for Xmas, the cleaning you need to accomplish between now and then... you haven't SHUT UP since I sat down. I can't get anything done.
Christ. Management wants to see our bright, shining faces at least once a week. That's fine. IF work is accomplished on that day, not catching up with everyone you haven't seen forever.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Now I'm bored in a cubicle.
That's my corporate experience also. I'm very well organized and make efficient use of time, so I finish tasks quickly. I've tried the tactics of asking the boss for more work, asking coworkers if they need help, finding my own useful tasks to do... all of it just results in a few minutes of work followed by hours of sitting around waiting for the next task. I spent a few years evaluating if I was doing something wrong because coworkers are constantly whinging about having too much work to do while I sit around mostly and work about an hour a day. I've pretty much concluded that it's the difference in efficiency. I don't waste a lot of time socializing at work, and as I said, I'm very organized so my tasks get done way, way faster than everybody else.

I also had the experience at one place where I did all the work that a slacker coworker wasn't doing, thinking that I'd shine and get promoted, or at least recognized as a rock star. Nope. Just exploited - no recognition, no raise, no bonus, not even a thank you. So I don't do that anymore. If a coworker is allergic to work so his assignments back up, that's on him. (I do help coworkers who get behind through no fault of their own. Just not the deliberate slackers.)

I have another rant to add to this thread. After close to 30 years I thought I'd encountered every flavor of good and bad coworker/boss. But now I'm experiencing a new one. A coworker who is stalling, delaying, doing everything in his power to not do a project and deftly making it look like my team is delaying him. He's quite good, but I'm getting so sick of it that I'm ready to nail him to the wall. Going to get my boss to handle him, though, just to "play nice" in this stupid corporate world. First, it shouldn't be his project and I don't know how it got dumped on him. However, it was so he should get it done. He started out making it sound like my team was the bottleneck so he asked us to get a head start on our part of the work. We did and gave him feedback. He tried to make it sound like my team were the decisionmakers when we're not. But we humored him and made a decision. Now he's pushing back on that decision and questioning it. Delay, stall, stall, delay. Leave an email trail that looks like we were the problem.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Most of the time when I've got nothing to do at work and others do, it is indeed a difference in efficiency.

But in my current job, it's the bosses who have given a ton of work to some people, and assigned to others maybe three tasks for which we don't even get the input we need. My German coworker is efficient as all get-go, but she's got a mountain of work whereas the two Frenchmen and I are really busy twiddling our thumbs. We help her with what we can, but since we can't do it openly (again, because of the bosses, or rather a specific one), it can't be anything that needs a lot of explanations.

The boss who's a problem is the same one who can't believe in work from home: we get to be onsite for weeks despite having no meetings at all. He's also fixated on using the new system to reproduce exactly the old ones: instead of replacing as much as possible, we're keeping as much as he can get away with, and instead of having the immense majority of their corporate data in a single database, they're using SAP as a mere reporting tool interfaced to a ton of systems, some of them older than me.

Last edited by Nava; 12-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:58 AM

I have to regularly arrange for samples to be shipped to customers, other locations, etc. Sometimes it's urgent and time-critical, sometimes not. Everything must go through our warehouse, and... I've got samples that have been sitting there for a month. Literally, an entire month. Several of these are super-critical samples that were needed in Singapore three weeks ago to start up a new lab there.

That is basically the highest priority project in the company at the moment, under intense scrutiny because the schedule keeps slipping. So you'd think people would want to avoid drawing the ire of the VPs by delaying it further... but, apparently not. After nagging for a month (a month!), turns out the warehouse folks are in Vegas for a conference now. I finally took the nuclear option of an email to the plant manager, and so far the response has been crickets chirping.

WTF is wrong with these idiots? They know damn well this will blow up in their faces, and they'll have absolutely no defense since we now document every step of the sample shipment process because they're so crap at their jobs. ugh.

Last edited by Lightray; 12-11-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:43 PM

A supervisor in a different department just poached my assistant. I know that its a boring job, but I don't require busy work and allow people to surf the internet or read/study on their down time. I pay as well as any other department. Same benefits as the other departments.

The reason my assistant gave for leaving is that the other departments have a lot of people and mine has a grand total of 3. Now I have to find another assistant who meshes well and I have to put on a happy face, buy assistant a going away cake and write good wishes on his card. Not only that, the parking lot has cameras so I can't let the air out of the poaching supervisor's tires.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 PM

...and we might lose my fledgling trainee because she didn't realize that she's not guaranteed the hours she thought she was guaranteed. She already took a pay cut to work here. She's been a dream trainee in terms of catching onto stuff very quickly, which is IMO a precious quality.

We're holding our breaths because our slow season is coming up. If she bails, I honestly don't know what we're going to do.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
A supervisor in a different department just poached my assistant. I know that its a boring job, but I don't require busy work and allow people to surf the internet or read/study on their down time. I pay as well as any other department. Same benefits as the other departments.

The reason my assistant gave for leaving is that the other departments have a lot of people and mine has a grand total of 3. Now I have to find another assistant who meshes well and I have to put on a happy face, buy assistant a going away cake and write good wishes on his card. Not only that, the parking lot has cameras so I can't let the air out of the poaching supervisor's tires.
Invite half a dozen coworkers out to lunch (or to check out something in your car). Lead them past the poacher's car. Drop caltrops behind his tires as you pass.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:46 PM

We have an electronic training system. Now, whenever I entered something to be assigned, it would come back to me at least three times for correction. And don't get me started on identifying who has to be trained, or the undocumented requirements. It drove me crazy trying to get an assignment through.

So, I was received a slew of assignments, more that could possibly be completed within the (undocumented) limitation of so many a day. I went through them, trying to prioritize, and found a bunch of unnecessary or duplicate training, but no one will cancel the assignments.

Then I started doing the assignments that made sense to me, while waiting for the mess to get straightened out, and every single training item had errors. Every one. I would get fired if I did this.

I've decided to just enjoy this, make a game out of finding the errors, and seeing how far I have to get the duplicates removed.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 AM

Trainee sort of fell apart yesterday. We have a production timetable. She's brand spankin' new and has never been on a production timetable, so yeah, it's going to take Trainee some time to get up to speed. Before that happens, Trainee has to have everything else down pat. The tasks are largely repetitious: The more you do something, the faster you get.

Well, my department Powers That Be have decided this won't do and they need to put the fear of god into Trainee. Trainee is already nervous enough around me, never mind them. Trainee is a very conscientious sort and wants to do things correctly. TPTB couldn't give a shit -- they just want things done ASAP and if it doesn't happen, they first get pissy, then they snark, which is what they did behind Trainee's back yesterday. I heard a good portion of it. I called them out on it. I was told to keep quiet, they were just having fun "because [Trainee] is SOOOOO SERIOUS and this is NOT a serious job."

Wherein I just gave both of them the utter look of death and replied, "If you were a career [title of position] like me, you wouldn't think it was funny. TRAINEE IS NEW. Of course Trainee concerned with doing a good job. There's a lot of steps to remember and yeah, Trainee is going to stumble. Trainee has NEVER done this kind of work before. What is WRONG with YOU?"

As I said upthread, my defense may be all for naught. I'm kind of hoping Trainee walks out if only to shove TPTB's behavior right back into their faces. The downside is that I'll have to take over the hours.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 AM

You guys ever have a very experienced, seemingly smart coworker who for no apparent reason can't get something through his thick head?

Dealing with one right now. We've discussed something work related in several email threads, and when they got long we met face to face. He didn't seem to get it, so another long email thread happened, which we then resolved with another face to face meeting. Now it's happening again and he keeps claiming he doesn't see what we're talking about. I want to be rude at this point, and ask him if he has a problem with either reading comprehension or cognitive abilities. We shouldn't have to keep explaining this to him over and over again, and yet we are. I've been swaying between frustration with him and shaking my head in wonder. I know he's not stupid, but.... he sure plays stupid very well! What. The. Fuck. Dude!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:34 PM

Hee hee hee ... our office manager has Pwecious Pwincess for the Secret Santa. She's gonna give her some cheese sticks! (She has already purchased her "real" gift ... this is just to poke fun.)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 PM

In case you're wondering, post 126 is worth rereading. It starts with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarie537 View Post
Aw, widdle miss pwincess had her pwecious cheese stick thrown away!...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarie537 View Post
Hee hee hee ... our office manager has Pwecious Pwincess for the Secret Santa. She's gonna give her some cheese sticks! (She has already purchased her "real" gift ... this is just to poke fun.)
You office manager is evil. I like her.

My manager is having problems understanding that if I say I need a certain piece of data in order to do my job (which isn't even my job damnit, that particular task should actually be on somebody else's tray), it's because I actually do need that piece of data in order to do my job.

I mean, of all the things one may be wanting to have at work, why would I ask for an extract of a bunch of control data if I didn't need it? It's not as if lists of tab-separated values are all that pretty...
Old 12-15-2015, 02:58 PM

My boss sent me another damn box of grapefruit for Christmas. Grapefruit, my most deadly allergy. Not as in puking or breaking out in a rash or making me all swell up, but as in not breathing any more and falling down and being dead.

Yes, she knows. She "forgets." I think she sends the same gift to the same dozen or so people every year, and it's easier to do it all at once than to make an exception.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 PM

That has to be reportable to HR if she's doing it repeatedly? Hostile working environment, and all that!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:38 PM

Does it arrive early enough for re-gifting?

Like right back to her, maybe?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Yeah, if my boss kept giving me something that could kill me, and not taking the hint, at some point I'd go to HR or Bosses Boss to object.

Of course, since the only thing I'm allergic to is latex, well, that certainly would be an interesting conversation if we had to have it.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM

I telecommute, and yes, I re-gift. Either my neighbors or my husband's co-workers will be the beneficiaries.
Thing is, now I have to send her something. Asp?
Old 12-15-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
I telecommute, and yes, I re-gift. Either my neighbors or my husband's co-workers will be the beneficiaries.
Does she keep kosher? Is she diabetic? Gluten-free?

Bacon, a pound of fudge, cookies.

Alcoholic? Wine.

The possibilities are endless!
Old 12-15-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
How about a lovely blue-ringed octopus?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:09 PM

I was thinking something simple. Maybe a box of black widow spiders or scorpions.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I was thinking something simple. Maybe a box of black widow spiders or scorpions.
In that case, how about a jerboa? Adorable and a virulent disease vector!