Old 12-25-2015, 07:57 AM

So to update the Trainee saga...in some ways Christmas week is busier than Thanksgiving week, and because of that, I've always been in charge of certain major things which need to happen ASAP. I've been doing what I've been doing for over 25 years now and have it down to such a science that most managers leave me be. Trainee has been with me for a little over a month. Keep that in the back of your mind.

Trainee: So, why aren't I doing what you're doing? Isn't that what I was hired for?
Me: You're helping me during a holiday week so I can show you the ropes.
Trainee: Oh, I thought I'd be actually doing everything.
Me: Nobody told you that. I certainly didn't.

or

Trainee: What else can I learn? I already know[lists off a few things I've taught].
Me: It's a holiday week. I can't show you anything new right now. Probably not until after New Year's, but remember I'm also training somebody else then.
Trainee: I'm bored. What you have me doing right now is boring.
Me: Didn't they tell you during your interview that there's a certain amount of tedium involved here? We're a production department and everybody has to do their share of tedious stuff.

I won't bore you with the other instances, but this is what I've been hearing all week. As I've said before, my manager is doing "hands off" meaning that Trainee is MY responsibility. And yeah, she picks up things very quickly. That's good...and bad.

It's not outright nastiness but there's an attitude there I don't particularly appreciate. I've told TPTB and my manager to keep their eyes on Trainee...I find it interesting that Trainee has had many many many jobs and nothing has panned out thus far. Trainee isn't a kid either. Interesting.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
So ES or Ebeneezer Scrooge give Bob Cratchit a day off WITH PAY for Christmas. Ebeneezer Scrooge was nicer to Bob Cratchit than my boss is to me.

Merry Christmas!
Seniority.

See, it was only after he'd worked there for two years that he got a bathroom break. The five year anniversary let him leave two hours early. Ten years got the whole afternoon off.

After 19 more years at this job, you, too, might get an entire day off with pay.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
People calling out of work:

We at the desk are not your supervisors. We do not care why you are calling out. You don't need to rehearse your sob story with us. You need to speak to your supervisor directly. She comes in at 8, just like every other morning. Call and speak to her then. Not at 7:30, not at 5:00, not at 6:45. The eighth hour after midnight. That is when she will be in the office so that is when you need to call to speak with her.
I had a woman who would call her (cow-orker) aunt when she missed work, instead of me, her supervisor. I told her call me or show up.
This morning she had left me a voicemail a good hour before we open, saying she would not be in. Had I been there, I would have offered to make it permanent.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:09 AM

They wanted me to go spread sand in the parking lot because of the ice storm. Only they didnt tell us they had changed out the sand truck from having a sand spreader that worked from a console hardwired inside the cab to one that operates from a remote (like a tv remote). And low and behold - nobody can find the remote!

You would THINK the remote would be left with the keys to the truck or at least signed out thru control.

Management always amazes me.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
They wanted me to go spread sand in the parking lot because of the ice storm. Only they didnt tell us they had changed out the sand truck from having a sand spreader that worked from a console hardwired inside the cab to one that operates from a remote (like a tv remote). And low and behold - nobody can find the remote!

You would THINK the remote would be left with the keys to the truck or at least signed out thru control.

Management always amazes me.
WHY would anyone design a truck sand spreader with a remote anyhow? So you can operate the sand spreader from a distance?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
WHY would anyone design a truck sand spreader with a remote anyhow? So you can operate the sand spreader from a distance?
Beats me.

But then they stick remotes on all kinds of things nowadays like lights and ceiling fans. Works great until you lose the remote.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 AM

Yup. The heating in my charity shop relies on a remote control thermostat unit. We don't know if it was sold or lost, but it got very cold in there for a few days in December....
Old 12-30-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
So you don't have to install anything in the cab.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
So you don't have to install anything in the cab.
And the benefit of that is ...?

They're a good idea for ceiling fans if you have high ceilings or an old home that was never re-habbed (instead of hacking up the plaster to run a wire from an old pull chain set up just install a fixture with a remote and superglue it to the wall. But designing something so that a major piece of capital equipment is useless without an easily lost two ounce piece of fragile plastic and electronics just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

So due to exciting happenings (not really. Well, it depends on your perspective) in my workplace, VIPs were expected today.

Which meant that when I showed up at 4 a.m., I heard a highly obnoxious noise-- a floor buffer.

The only good thing was knowing that the floor buffer would be turned off no later than 6 am.

(Store opens at 6-- and the floor buffer is way too obnoxious to be used with customers in the building).

But having that floor buffer noise in the air seriously messed with my routine. I have a pattern, and I couldn't follow it, because I needed to stay away from the noisemaker. I didn't succeed at hiding very well.

The VIP visit was basically a non-event by contrast to the buffer.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Seniority. . . . After 19 more years at this job, you, too, might get an entire day off with pay.

Merry Christmas!
When I temped, after meeting a certain milestone (it's been too long to remember if it was a year, working full time, or what) I got a week of 'vacation'. 'Vacation' turned out to be a week's pay, with the check being cut the week you requested it. Requesting time off from the customer would not have gone well, so I just got two paychecks for one week. Paid time off is so much nicer.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 AM

Of course the HR department is closed today, chickadee. In case you haven't noticed it's New Year's Eve. They'll be back in the office on Monday like the rest of the world. Why the hell are you trying to verify employment at 7:30 a.m. on December 31st?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Of course the HR department is closed today, chickadee. In case you haven't noticed it's New Year's Eve. They'll be back in the office on Monday like the rest of the world. Why the hell are you trying to verify employment at 7:30 a.m. on December 31st?
Because it's not a holiday?

I admit it has been hell getting things accomplished this week, but all our departments had coverage all day today.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:05 PM

So on a whim I decide to order a pizza takeout at 4:45pm on New Years Eve. The girl behind the counter explains its going to be 15-20 minutes because they are closing at 6pm and they are backed on deliveries.

Then as I'm sitting waiting for my pie, I hear the owner yelling the front girl he's backed on deliveries, the phone rings, "NO MORA DELIVERIES!!!"

This is why some small business owners are fucking idiots:

1. If it's so busy, why not stay open LATER and make money?
2. It's New Years Eve so OF COURSE your customers are going to want food. Don't get hot on ME or your cashier.
3. This is not the first year your open. I'm sure it was like this last year. So hire more help you cheap bastard.

And people why the failure rate is so high in the restaurant business.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 PM
BANNED

coworkers who sing out loud at their desk
Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 AM

I find myself somewhat annoyed that my boss did not give me a Christmas present. It's customary at our firm that the attorneys give their secretaries at least a token present at Christmas/end of year. I was reassigned to Demanding Partner in early November, and he's the happiest I've seen him in years, so I thought he might at least give me a token present - half price calendar, whatever. But no, nada. I was on vacation on the 23 and 34, and he was sick this week, though he came in today briefly, so I cut him some slack, but seriously? Oh well, at least I'm employed, as I keep telling myself. I'm not disappointed just annoyed - dude, it's the thought that counts. If you appreciate me, and I know you do, a small token of appreciation is a good idea.

I know, first-world employed-person problems. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ22 View Post
I feel your pain! Chatty Cathy was on vacation on Monday and Tuesday, and I've never appreciated the silence more! When she's not engaging in loud non-work-related conversations with co-workers (she's the instigator, when she's not around there's much less chatting) she's singing at her desk, right next to mine! And she's not that good a singer!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
I feel your pain! Chatty Cathy was on vacation on Monday and Tuesday, and I've never appreciated the silence more! When she's not engaging in loud non-work-related conversations with co-workers (she's the instigator, when she's not around there's much less chatting) she's singing at her desk, right next to mine! And she's not that good a singer!
Yeah I don't understand why someone just can't listen to music quietly without singing.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
I was on vacation on the 23 and 34,
He made you wait 11 days to finish your vacation? I see why you call him Demanding Partner now.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:23 PM

A while back I ranted on here about my boss leaving. I like him and I was worried about who they'd bring in to replace him. Boss 2.0 has been here about three weeks now and I have to say so far so good. She's a little "cheerleader-y" for me sometimes, a real rah-rah sort and that kind of annoys me sometimes but I can usually tune it out. She brings snacks and tells funny stories and we have some hobbies in common that we can talk about.

So what's the problem you ask?

I usually get to work early so I can get some work done in peace. I can always tell when boss-lady shows up because I can smell her perfume from my desk. She sits probably fifteen feet from me and my back is to her desk. Yesterday morning I caught a whiff of her and called out "Good morning!" without turning around. I don't know if she figured out how I knew she was there or not. I guess at least she can't sneak up on me...
Old 01-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I hate all my co-workers, and some of the customers today. Well, not really, but . . .

Dear Co-worker (the seriously part-time one I've griped about before):

Chill Out, Dude! It's not that you are actively wrong about anything, but your degree of investment in what other people do when you aren't there is ridiculous and stress-inducing.

Next:

Co-workers: Please don't bitch about our customers-- if they heard you talking about them that way, they wouldn't shop at our store, and we wouldn't get paychecks.

third:

co-worker? Where you be? I don't understand why you usually seem to show up at least a half-hour after you are scheduled, and I never did see you today. (admittedly, only a couple of hours into his shift). Hope you talked to someone with authority.

Fourth:

Co-worker: you are cute, and nice, and friendly, etc., but I wish you'd learn to stay in your territory, and keep it tidy.

Fifth:

Person from outside our store who was training baby managers: you know perfectly well that this is the last day of two back to back holiday weeks, my manager is on vacation, we're generally short/oddly handed, etc. I wish you'd give us more credit for the parts we've done well, and nag us less about the details we dropped.

I could go on, but this is enough whining for one day.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Beats me.

But then they stick remotes on all kinds of things nowadays like lights and ceiling fans. Works great until you lose the remote.
I just got a new car stereo console that comes with a remote. What, I won't be able to reach it from the driver's seat? I'm sure as hell not giving it to my kids to use in the back seat.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 PM
BANNED

No matter what job I had since 1998 it seemed like there is always one woman who gets "overwhelmed"
Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance strongarm View Post
I just got a new car stereo console that comes with a remote. What, I won't be able to reach it from the driver's seat? I'm sure as hell not giving it to my kids to use in the back seat.
Actually, my aftermarket stereo's face is of a much more recessed style than that of the original factory-installed stereo, so I really can't reach the buttons unless I lean forward a bit. ^_^ For the most part, the tiny remote also makes up for the fact that I don't have any stereo controls on the steering wheel.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:11 AM

Demanding Partner is really bad at communication. Won't return texts (though I think he reads them), won't listen to voicemails, doesn't receive work emails remotely. Constantly forgetting his phone at home or at the office. Frustrating. I try my best - last week I texted him several times, asking if he was coming in, and informing him what time I would be leaving. On Thursday afternoon (12/31) he showed up and informed me he'd been sick (food poisoning on top of the cold he'd just gotten over). OK, whatevers.

On Saturday night, right before I went to bed, I plugged my phone in and noticed a text, from his phone. Except it wasn't from him, it was from a restaurant near the office, they had found his phone when cleaning up/closing, and, I guess, scrolled through the texts and found my "are you coming in today" texts, and asked me to inform him that they had his phone.

Yeah, sure, I would do that...except I can't text him or call him, because he left his phone at the restaurant!

Oi. I don't get paid enough for this nonsense.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:40 AM
BANNED

My boss is cool as, I'm overpaid, my work is quite interesting and varied, and my co-workers keep it real. when it's this good it can't last. hélas!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Actually, my aftermarket stereo's face is of a much more recessed style than that of the original factory-installed stereo, so I really can't reach the buttons unless I lean forward a bit. ^_^ For the most part, the tiny remote also makes up for the fact that I don't have any stereo controls on the steering wheel.
Solution - tape the remote to the steering wheel. Duct tape, of course.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
And people why the failure rate is so high in the restaurant business.
Quote:
These two statements one after the other made me laugh.

Quote:
Quote:
Because it's not a holiday?

I admit it has been hell getting things accomplished this week, but all our departments had coverage all day today.
The grocery store I work part-time at was open normal hours and I had to work until closing, which is 9pm.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
New year's eve isn't a national holiday and plenty of people work that day, even in office environments.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

You know, Boss, much as I appreciate the advice to do crappy job while thinking nasty thoughts in the direction of Person Who Should Have Done It (But is on Vacation this week)., I think I will instead think nasty thoughts in YOUR direction, with maybe a few to spare for the person who is threatening to Audit us, even though the New Year has hardly begun, and we are working hard to transition from Christmas to Valentines.

At least you agreed that I didn't need to count the things I didn't want to count.

And in other "news" no love to all the co-workers who have called in sick in the past two-three weeks. Thanks to you, we are all going to have to get Doctor's Notes if we call in sick. (Note: I am not often sick, but if I do end up with one of those short-lived but nasty stomach viruses, I don't really want to have to drag myself to the Doctor, who doesn't want me there, either). Also, it's annoying when we are short handed.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
The grocery store I work part-time at was open normal hours and I had to work until closing, which is 9pm.
And I thank you and your co-workers, because I had to stop and pick up a few things on my way home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
And in other "news" no love to all the co-workers who have called in sick in the past two-three weeks. Thanks to you, we are all going to have to get Doctor's Notes if we call in sick. ....
Interestingly, in my office we are entering the season where we practically need a note to come to work. "Did you just sneeze? Leave. Now. Take your lap-top and work from home." "You look pale. Leave. Now." "Do you have kids? In school or day-care? We'll see you after Easter."

We are instructed throughout the winter to bring our laptops home whenever bad weather or bad health is immanent, and work from home over VPN. I hate knowing my every key stroke is monitored, but I hate risking my life to drive to work even more.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 AM

Message to team from Boss Who's Got A Brain:
"yadda, Nava leaving at the end of next week, will be on location next week, yadda".

Message from Other Boss:
"Since I don't know if you're coming here, [here being the aforementioned location] send your computer now."

Hoo's gots a brainsy, hoo does? U doesn't! U doesn't!

Last edited by Nava; 01-05-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:14 PM

We have a staff meeting every other Tuesday. It has clearly been on everyone's Outlook calendar for over a year.

And yet EVERY TIME, at least four people wander around asking if we are having a meeting, and at least two manage to forget about the damned thing.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Those every others can be tricky. "Wait, is the one of the Tuesdays when we do have a meeting, or when we don't?"
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Interestingly, in my office we are entering the season where we practically need a note to come to work. "Did you just sneeze? Leave. Now. Take your lap-top and work from home." "You look pale. Leave. Now." "Do you have kids? In school or day-care? We'll see you after Easter."
Ditto. Last year when I had the flu + an asthma flare-up, my then-boss (the CMO, so a doctor) basically told me to log off on Wednesday, when I got the news (and a handful of medications, including Tamiflu), and to check in with him after the weekend. He pointed out that I wouldn't be any use to anyone when I was that sick, so not to even try working from home.

It was the smartest thing he could've done. I was back working from home on Monday, and was in the office on Wednesday, a little tired but much better.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Those every others can be tricky. "Wait, is the one of the Tuesdays when we do have a meeting, or when we don't?"
Yes, this used to trip me up all the time.

Until computers with calendars and alarms came along.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Juuuust finally put that down in my office. Hallelujah

I work in an open concept office with my direct reports, and they include a singer and a hummer. Often going in concert to the same song. I don't think the hummer even knew she was doing it. Since the talk, she's started humming probably 200 or so times and caught herself shortly after. I would estimate she spent 60% - 75% of her day humming, so 200 incidences of false-starts since October is probably an understatement.

Took a little while to get my request to sink in because I don't think they took me seriously the first time I asked (after putting up with it for about a year). Second request came with a little talk about open concept offices and respect for your coworkers. I felt a little bad because apparently I'm the only one bothered by it, and I didn't want to play the part of the easily-irritated tyrant.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
... apparently I'm the only one bothered by it, ....
You believe that? The whole team is dancing on ceiling because you finally said something about it, they just didn't want to complain about a co-worker who is perfectly nice and competent, knowing how much worse things could be.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 PM

Meetings to prep for meetings. Fuck you. I can get my shit together on my own time why can't you.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 PM
BANNED

A restructuring was done at the job because some of the women were overwhelmed and now with the new roles I can still hear some of the women complaining
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Because drawing a conclusion without enough samples is indeed a mark of a bigot.
Well, even using enough samples is bigotry if you are trying to make a generalization to apply to the entire population based on mere samples.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
A restructuring was done at the job because some of the women were overwhelmed and now with the new roles I can still hear some of the women complaining
I wonder if the restructuring included you not being in charge of any women and kept as far from women as possible. I hope so. You sound kinda, well, overwhelmed by women anyway.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You believe that? The whole team is dancing on ceiling because you finally said something about it, they just didn't want to complain about a co-worker who is perfectly nice and competent, knowing how much worse things could be.
You'd think so!
During the year I tolerated the humming and singing, I asked the others individually and in private (during their performance reviews) if it bothered them. They all said no! I was really hoping that I could approach the hummer/singer twins with a popular mandate from the department, but no dice. This is why I let it go on for a year before getting fed up and addressing it.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Debated about going into office, decided what the hell, make sure management knows I'm still alive.
My desk was taken, so I moved to an empty cube back in the corner, thinking it would be quiet.
Then the coffee klatch appeared. Good gawd, they are LOUD. One was going on about just how miserable her cold has been, she can't seem to get over it, everyone in her house is snotty and congested...
WHY are you here?
Suffice it to say, me and my immune-compromised self packed up and came back home.
My boss IM'd me, saying "I thought I saw you?" Yeah, briefly. And that's as good as it will be until people start staying home.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM

Oh, lord, another one of those days ...

Boss: Why did you do that?

Me: Because you told me to.

15 minutes later ...

Me: Here's how we can fix this.

2 hours laters ...

Boss: Yeah, do that.

Why the delay? Boss was meeting with Bigger Bosses, probably trying to blame me. This is why I never, never*, email without cc'ing someone.

* Well, seldom; there's always an excuse to cc someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Dickens View Post
..., I asked the others individually and in private (during their performance reviews) if it bothered them....
While I am sure you are right about the humming, you do know people are necessarily completely frank during those reviews, don't you?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Solution - tape the remote to the steering wheel. Duct tape, of course.
I once thought about securing it to the underside of the wheel with some 3M Command strips...the angles actually work (when you're driving straight down the road, of course).

In office news, our resident man-splaining customer service rep has apparently decided that if he can't understand it, then it must be wrong. He even showed up at my desk today with printouts from random websites to "prove" some point. He has also dubbed himself "Sales Engineer".
Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder if the restructuring included you not being in charge of any women and kept as far from women as possible. I hope so. You sound kinda, well, overwhelmed by women anyway.
No but I don;t like seeing tears on the job. We all adults
Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No but I don;t like seeing tears on the job. We all adults
'All we adults' have seen plenty of men overwhelmed. And cry.

You should try it. And/or try not being an insensitive (and/or sexist) jerk.

Quote:
No but I don;t
Oh, and sorry about your colostomy bag (couldn't help but notice your semi-colon...).
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
(snip)

While I am sure you are right about the humming, you do know people are necessarily completely frank during those reviews, don't you?
Absolutely. If I was some absentee boss who worked on a different floor and parachuted in 3 times a year to put out fires or give their reviews, I'd be a lot more leery of their responses during an appraisal. Because I'm right beside them all of their time here we're much more of a team with a manager, rather than a vertical org. chart string of job titles. They're all considerably older than me, and they're pretty comfortable with telling me where to go if they need to vent that.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 AM

New mini-rant:

I had to choose a team member to assume a new division's worth of duties and join me on a long trip in sunny Georgia for training. I chose the lady who's teenage daughters babysit my 20 month old. The rest of the department knows about this extra-curricular relationship, and I'm worried that the cry of "favouritism!" is going to peal from the group.

She's the best choice for a coterie of reasons, and I can explain that if necessary, but I'm worried people will turn their ears off to my explanation. Time to channel my inner salesman.

Going to make the decision public in an informal announcement tomorrow afternoon (I'm subscribing to the "bad news best delivered on a Friday" school of thought).