Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Go ahead Trump. Start attacking Myeshia Johnson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
To his rabid fans, he could shit in his hand and rub it in her face and they'd call it brilliant leadership.
And talk loudly and often about how she totally deserved it.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Well, she is black, so anything she says has to be taken with a grain of salt by Trump supporters. Black folks, as everyone knows, just aren't on our side.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 10-23-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Well, she is black, so anything she says has to be taken with a grain of salt by Trump supporters. Black folks, as everyone knows, just aren't on our side.
Sadly, this.

I'm surprised he hasn't said that Obama called her and told her to lie.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Sadly, this.

I'm surprised he hasn't said that Obama called her and told her to lie.
It's only Monday. Give it time.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:19 PM

At this rate, by Thursday he'll be tweeting that he likes heroes who don't get killed in an ambush.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
To his rabid fans, he could shit in his hand and rub it in her face and they'd call it brilliant leadership.
4D Chess.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM

The Army has banned green card holders form joining the Army Reserve.
https://mic.com/articles/185297/excl...law#.VN4v4FEbL
Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Okra banned??

It's like that episode of Seinfeld when the cops show up at Newman's door after they tried to dog-nap Elaine's neighbor's yapping dog. "What took you so long?"
Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM

You have to admit, though, that Shitgibbon is well-versed in distraction. I suspect it may be because he has so much experience in the high-finance con game. He got this brouhaha going between kelly and wilson, which has completely obscured the clusterfuck that resulted in the death of 4 soldiers.

Had to do it, though: three weeks of intense work and no one in the west wing is willing to let Shitgibbon try to say “Niger”.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM

US cancels visa for an Indonesian general to attend a conference...that they invited him too

Highlights from the newspapers article in front of me (different source from the one linked above) is that General Gatot "is believed to have political aspirations at the highest level" - ie likely to be influential in government for a long time- and the General "was invited to a countering violent extremism conference by US General Joseph Dunford"

Indonesia, of course, IS a Muslim country. They on the travel ban yet? Give it time...
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
This is jay_jay level of nuttiness.
Really? What, specifically, struck you as being nutty?

Quote:
There's no downside for Trump in attacking Gold Star families who are non-white.

Everyone who finds the indecency of it to be revolting already despises him. And it delights his white-supremacist fans.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 10-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I'm sick of all of them. If Trump is such a hot mess (and he is) that he needs constant handlers, then what the hell is wrong with Republicans that they aren't getting rid of him as fast as they can? It's somehow acceptable to let a completely unqualified maniac fiddle with the controls because he can be "managed??"

I agree with others who have said Kelly, McMaster and Mattis are not the "adults in the room." They're enablers who allow the Republicans to carry on with their ruse that it's somehow acceptable to leave this ignorant, cruel, petty pathetic sub cretin in the most important job in our country, so they can demolish health care, trash Constitutional norms, allow the rise of racist, white nationalist turds and sneak tax cuts for their own handlers past the clueless electorate, all while everyone wrings their hands and acts grateful that the dipshit hasn't quite yet managed to reach the button.

I refuse to normalize this.
You answered your own question.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
But they consistently gloss over one distinguishing feature of the 50’s and 60’s ,, the 91% top marginal income tax rate.
Fake news. Sad. unfair

Well let's bring THAT back. Good old days.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The California Republican Party convention (which is probably meeting in a phone booth this weekend) thought it would be appropriate to bring in Steve Bannon, that unifier, to headline their semi-annual meeting. He warned that if California is allowed to be a sanctuary state, it will want to secede in ten to fifteen years.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-try-to-secede

1-Wouldn't the Trumpistas think this is a good thing?
2-Has he spoken with any of the Trumpistas in Texas who think Texas should secede?
One thing though... for all their "get the fuck out" and "fuck California" talk, those hard working independent take nothing for free assholes in Middle Murrica sure love the subsidies WE FUCKING PAY FOR.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
It's like that episode of Seinfeld when the cops show up at Newman's door after they tried to dog-nap Elaine's neighbor's yapping dog. "What took you so long?"
Banned? For real??

It's about fucking time!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The idiosyncratic rules of order in this forum allow even an odious carbuncle like Terrklahoma to run dryly through the rain for a very long time, so long as he can avoid saying "cuntlapper" or worse, "torrent."
Old 10-23-2017, 09:04 PM

I just posted this in the "Whatcha Readin" thread, and it occurred to me that it might be of interest to the denizens of this thread ---

Keeping with the theme of books about presidents, I just noticed a new one is out. Some may claim that the title is deliberately provocative, or that the author is biased, but I'm going to read it anyway:

Trump is F*cking Crazy, by Keith Olbermann.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
LOL, well, so I did. I guess it was a rhetorical question.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow
I'm sick of all of them. If Trump is such a hot mess (and he is) that he needs constant handlers, then what the hell is wrong with Republicans that they aren't getting rid of him as fast as they can? It's somehow acceptable to let a completely unqualified maniac fiddle with the controls because he can be "managed??"

I agree with others who have said Kelly, McMaster and Mattis are not the "adults in the room." They're enablers who allow the Republicans to carry on with their ruse that it's somehow acceptable to leave this ignorant, cruel, petty pathetic sub cretin in the most important job in our country, so they can demolish health care, trash Constitutional norms, allow the rise of racist, white nationalist turds and sneak tax cuts for their own handlers past the clueless electorate, all while everyone wrings their hands and acts grateful that the dipshit hasn't quite yet managed to reach the button.

I refuse to normalize this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
LOL, well, so I did. I guess it was a rhetorical question.
A good rhetorical question though. I've been saying for a long time that calling Trump an anomaly is a *big* mistake on the part of the Democrats. Take advantage of the spotlight on the horrible ideas of the Republicans, minus the nice packaging they usually get.

He's pushing legislation with every bad idea, party-line, and vague Republican fantasy ever conceived. The only difference is that he puts a really nasty face on the fight the GOP has been waging for decades: abolishing the social safety net, eliminating healthcare, cutting regulations and taxes on the rich so they can usher in their laissez-faire capitalist paradise, bloating the military, banning all non-white non-Americans from the country, and blowing up the Muslims.

The only difference policy-wise so far has been his opposition to the T.P.P., since free trade agreements are usually soundly endorsed by the GOP. Coincidence (?) it's also the only thing I've agreed with him on.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; 10-24-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And so he did:

Quote:
On Monday, in an interview with "Good Morning America," Johnson, the widow of slain Sgt. La David Johnson, spoke for the first time in public about her phone call with Trump. She confirmed Wilson's account that Trump had told her that her husband "knew what he was getting into" and added: "It made me cry because I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said it. He couldn't remember my husband's name."

To which Trump almost immediately replied via Twitter: "I had a very respectful conversation with the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, and spoke his name from beginning, without hesitation!"
The entire Cillizza piece is a slam dunk.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I can well imagine how the right-wing trash on this Board and elsewhere would have reacted had President Barack Obama even hinted a Gold Star widow might be lying.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Bob Corker had a few things to say in this 6 minute walk and talk.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

He seemed awfully quiet in that link.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Of course, Bob Corker was one of the biggest enablers of Trump, wanting both VP and SecState. He's the same Trump he was back in 2016... in some ways, the WH has a point in saying Corker has "betrayed" them (my word, not theirs, afaik).

Oh, and, shit, sorry: https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/statu...811189249?s=09

Choice Corker bits:

... Trump is debasing the Nation
... He could not answer if he trusts Trump with nuclear codes
... Not a role-model for kids

Last edited by JohnT; 10-24-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Dissing the boy who wouldn't invite you to the prom is so high-school.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Whitefish Energy Holdings in Montana is a two-year old company with two full time employees as of about a month ago. Last week, Whitefish proudly announced it had received a $300 million dollar contract to rebuild parts of Puerto Rico's infrastructure. This is the largest contract to rebuild PR's infrastructure that has been awarded so far. These kinds of infrastructure projects are more often taken on through "mutual aid" agreements with other utility providers, and it's unusual for this work to go to private firms. The two guys who run Whitefish Energy Holdings must be some kind of fantastic problem solvers!

Or, the two guys could be: 1) a friend of Interior Secretary Zinke; and 2) a guy who donated $74K to Trump and $30K to the RNC and whose wife donated $33K to the RNC.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ility-contract
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b3fff5f70d32

Probably a coincidence.

Last edited by Bayard; 10-24-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Whitefish Energy Holdings in Montana is a two-year old company with two full time employees as of about a month ago. Last week, Whitefish proudly announced it had received a $300 million dollar contract to rebuild parts of Puerto Rico's infrastructure. This is the largest contract to rebuild PR's infrastructure that has been awarded so far. These kinds of infrastructure projects are more often taken on through "mutual aid" agreements with other utility providers, and it's unusual for this work to go to private firms. The two guys who run Whitefish Energy Holdings must be some kind of fantastic problem solvers!

Or, the two guys could be: 1) a friend of Interior Secretary Zinke; and 2) a guy who donated $74K to Trump and $30K to the RNC and whose wife donated $33K to the RNC.

Probably a coincidence.
Start with post #83, eh.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-24-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:33 AM

In a roundtable discussion on gun violence, recently departed Trump administration intellectual Sebastian Gorka argued that we should not base legislation on mass shootings, because mass shootings are outliers. The real problem we should be dealing with, according to Gorka, is "black African gun crime against black Africans" in cities like Chicago. Chicago, where those black Africans shoot each other, in Gorka's words, "by the bushel".

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ooting-chicago
Old 10-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Probably a coincidence.
Are those wage numbers correct? From the Post article:

Quote:
Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food.
Anyone know how to become a lineman really quickly?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
In a roundtable discussion on gun violence, recently departed Trump administration intellectual Sebastian Gorka argued that we should not base legislation on mass shootings, because mass shootings are outliers. The real problem we should be dealing with, according to Gorka, is "black African gun crime against black Africans" in cities like Chicago. Chicago, where those black Africans shoot each other, in Gorka's words, "by the bushel".

Wow, how are all those Africans getting to Chicago?

Maybe we need a wall.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Ah, thanks. I hadn't been following that thread.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Geez, the answer is right there in the message you're responding to:

Quote:
a guy who donated $74K to Trump and $30K to the RNC and whose wife donated $33K to the RNC
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Racism aside, intercity gun violence is a great place to start when addressing gun regulations. Except the gun manufacturing lobby won't let us do even that.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Wow, how are all those Africans getting to Chicago?

Maybe we need a wall.
Better than that. Donald oversaw the construction of a HUGE moat between the US and Africa.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Better than that. Donald oversaw the construction of a HUGE moat between the US and Africa.
And he filled that moat with not just water, but big OCEAN water!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Racism aside, intercity gun violence is a great place to start when addressing gun regulations. Except the gun manufacturing lobby won't let us do even that.
Lets find out where those guns are coming from, and shut down those avenues of import. I am sure that the conservatives would be all for that, right?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
What's intercity gun violence? Violence using guns brought in from other cities?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

It's an East Coast - West Coast hip-hop thing. You know those African musicians.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
And he filled that moat with not just water, but big OCEAN water!
And sharks too. Don't forget the sharks!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:38 PM

From post #12279, manson1972 said:

Quote:
Are those wage numbers correct? From the Post article:

Quote:
Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food.
Unquote:

While this whole deal smell of lutefish, I would note that it is very unlikely that workers are going to get all that cash per hour. Some (much) is for 'health insurance', taxes, 'overhead', administrative and the ever-popular 'other costs'. I used to deal a bit with Government contracts and I've seen numbers like this.

Problem is, they are usually subject to auditing and negotiation, and due to the dire situation in Puerto Rico, that is probably not
being done. Will be interesting to see what happens when the auditors get a good look at the contract (but by then it will be old news...)

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 10-24-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Jeff Flake just scorched the Earth of the GOP and the president.

"Mr. President, I rise today to say: Enough. We must dedicate ourselves to making sure that the anomalous never becomes normal. With respect and humility, I must say that we have fooled ourselves for long enough that a pivot to governing is right around the corner, a return to civility and stability right behind it. We know better than that. By now, we all know better than that."

"Now, I am aware that more politically savvy people than I caution against such talk. I am aware that a segment of my party believes that anything short of complete and unquestioning loyalty to a president who belongs to my party is unacceptable and suspect."
Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Wow. Now THAT is a speech.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post

and this:

Quote:
Reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as "telling it like it is," when it is actually just reckless, outrageous, and undignified.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:

"Mr. President, I rise today to say: Enough. We must dedicate ourselves to making sure that the anomalous never becomes normal. With respect and humility, I must say that we have fooled ourselves for long enough that a pivot to governing is right around the corner, a return to civility and stability right behind it. We know better than that. By now, we all know better than that."

"Now, I am aware that more politically savvy people than I caution against such talk. I am aware that a segment of my party believes that anything short of complete and unquestioning loyalty to a president who belongs to my party is unacceptable and suspect."
I came in just to post about the same thing, but your link is better because it has his whole speech.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
and this:
It's chock full of highlights.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
From post #12279, manson1972 said:

While this whole deal smell of lutefish, I would note that it is very unlikely that workers are going to get all that cash per hour. Some (much) is for 'health insurance', taxes, 'overhead', administrative and the ever-popular 'other costs'. I used to deal a bit with Government contracts and I've seen numbers like this.

Problem is, they are usually subject to auditing and negotiation, and due to the dire situation in Puerto Rico, that is probably not
being done. Will be interesting to see what happens when the auditors get a good look at the contract (but by then it will be old news...)
Right, nothing in the article said that that was what the workers would get paid.

It said that was what they were going to be charging for providing the workers, even if they are at MW.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Damn. That guy has some balls, eh? Pretty rare amongst current Republicans....

Last edited by gytalf2000; 10-24-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Well, it's easier when you're not running for re-election.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:26 PM

He could be running for re-election if he wanted to though. He's only 55. He's chosen to fight Trump instead.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:30 PM

I agree with Senator Flake on very little, but ...hot damn! That speech was one for the ages.

Last edited by koeeoaddi; 10-24-2017 at 05:30 PM.