Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Well, it would be interesting to know how he managed to get "more than ten" rifles into his room without anyone noticing. At the very least, (and assuming he didn't move them in just before the shooting) wouldn't the housekeeping staff have noticed this arsenal laying about?
First housekeeping would have to care. Second, if they weren't laying about, but instead were in a closable closet (I was just at Mandalay Bay last spring but don't remember if they have an enclosed closet), then housekeeping probably wouldn't have seen them - I wouldn't expect them to routinely look in the closet of occupied rooms.
  #52  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by treis View Post
I just want the record to reflect that I find this thread, especially the title, to be disturbing and the work of a sick mind.
Then please don't read Swift's "A Modest Proposal," ok?
  #53  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 AM
The Plutonium Kid The Plutonium Kid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Then please don't read Swift's "A Modest Proposal," ok?
Swift was actually trying to make a moral point. You're just slinging shit.
  #54  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 AM
hajario hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
First housekeeping would have to care. Second, if they weren't laying about, but instead were in a closable closet (I was just at Mandalay Bay last spring but don't remember if they have an enclosed closet), then housekeeping probably wouldn't have seen them - I wouldn't expect them to routinely look in the closet of occupied rooms.
I never let housekeeping in my room when Iím at a hotel. I can be there a week with the Do Not Disturb sign up and itís never been an issue.
  #55  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plutonium Kid View Post
Swift was actually trying to make a moral point. You're just slinging shit.
OK then, trying to make a point about the fucking futility of keeping the next mass shooting from happening by actually putting limits on firearms due to a small but well-organized army of fanatics isn't a 'moral' point.

Gotcha. You, too, should feel free to go stick your head in a pig.
  #56  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 32,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Go stick your head in a pig, bucko. I'm pissed as hell that we allow people to keep mowing down people like this. (ETA: That shouldn't be considered 'political.') People are dead today that God wanted to live full and happy lives. And why? Because of a handful of loud and well-financed fanatics with a religious belief that any restriction on firearms is a bad restriction.

Maybe you don't understand sarcasm, but I'd have thought that came through loud and clear in the thread title.
You should have lead with that then, instead of your OP title and the OP itself which is, frankly, all about the guns. You are also blaming the wrong people. This didn't happen because of 'a handful of loud and well-financed fanatics with a religious belief that any restriction on firearms is a bad restriction', it happened because of a lone crazy idiot who decided he wanted to kill a bunch of people...and it happened because, we, as a society have collectively chosen to allow people to have access to guns and to make those sorts of choices. Of course, even if we didn't allow people to have guns it would be no guarantee that these sorts of mass shootings wouldn't happen, but the thing is, these sorts of mass shootings are infrequent. They only get the attention they get because of people like you who focus on them when they occur and make them into a political point scoring fest. The REAL issue, if there is on, is the day to day and everyday shootings. Perhaps gun control would help with that, perhaps now, but they wouldn't really prevent something like this. Neither would arming the hotel staff, or the teachers or any other crazy crap like that.

Quote:
Collectively?! Most Americans want more restrictions on guns, but the fanatical minority stops us at every turn.
I'm for more restrictions on guns. What's that got to do with anything? More restrictions on guns wouldn't stop one-off shootings like this. And collectively, we as a society have decided that restrictions or no, guns are something that a citizen is allowed to have, which was my point.

Quote:
Yeah, and most of us don't want that risk.
Well, this isn't GD so I won't ask you for a cite, but I think you are wrong...the majority of Americans still believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It's not just some small fanatic minority.

Quote:
Yeah, sickening that we're against all this death and injury. (A bullet hole through a human body is a horrible thing even for a survivor, just ask Steve Scalise.)
Yet you chose to make a flip political slam instead of pitting the guy who did all of this. You didn't even MENTION the guy who murdered over 50 people and hurt 100's more. Like I said, had you gone that route I'd have been right behind you.

Quote:
Why should I ask about the particular asshole? Didn't you read what you just wrote? You just said that "By allowing guns we know some crazy motherfucker like this is going to go off the deep end sometime and do things like this." Given that we know someone is going to do shit like this if gun laws are the way they are, what's important about the particulars of a given shooter?
Because an individual decided to murder those 50+ people, and deserves to be slammed in every way possible. We know that by allowing citizens to use alcohol some non-zero number is going to drive and kill some non-zero number of other innocent drivers, but those doing the drinking and driving still deserve our ire when they do stupid shit like that. Just because we as a society collectively assess the risk and decide we are good with them doesn't mean that those who abuse the system and kill or murder shouldn't be singled out for abuse.

Quote:
Well, your point was hardly clear at first; it certainly looked like the usual "we can't do anything about X because Y is a bigger problem" crap.
I never said anything about 'we can't-do anything'...nothing even like that. Hell, I've never said anything like that in any of these threads. Granted, you might not know my position on anything as I'm not that well known a poster, but I figure Bob probably does since we've discussed stuff like this in the past.

Quote:
Now I see you're saying "we as a society have chosen to accept the risks of having all these guns." I suppose by certain definitions, that's so, but most of the people in this society haven't.
Again, I disagree. Most people in our society DO accept the risk, even if they don't see it in those terms. Just like we collectively accept the other risks involved in allowing different things to be legal in our country. When most people in our society decide, flat out, that guns are no longer allowed to be kept and owned by private citizens then they won't be (except all the millions that will be hidden or whatever, but that's another story). Until then, as with other risky things, we have to accept that our decisions have consequences. ETA: This doesn't mean we can't, as a society, attempt to mitigate those and lower the toll as best we can. As we have with other things (alcohol for instance, or seat belts or speed limits, etc etc).
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 10-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.
  #57  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
If someone's walking around with an illegal fully automatic weapon, thanks to laws allowing open carry pretty much everywhere, how many people will be able to tell, on sight, that it's not a legal semi-automatic weapon?

But because this particular fully automatic weapon is illegal, assuming that's the case, somehow this has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. Nice hairsplitting, counselor!
Another lie. This guy wasn't walking a round with his illegal automatic, and there is no link between the open carry of lawful weapons and his obtaining an illegal weapon.

All you can do to support your case is offer falsehoods. That shows strongly that your case is false, since if you had any reality to offer, you'd do that.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #58  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM
ExTank ExTank is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Creve Coeur, MO
Posts: 6,344
I guess the weekend tally of all the dead African-American gang-bangers in Chicago isn't photogenic enough, or getting sufficient news coverage, to spark the level of outrage the OP is evincing.

What's disgusting is that we don't even have any facts in yet on how this guy obtained a fully-automatic weapon, and yet OP and his choir are slinging bullshit about their political agenda, gleefully wallowing in the blood of people not even identified by their next of kin yet just to preposition themsleves for the "next big thing" on their legislative agenda.

And then they bitch and moan and cry and wail about not understanding why Trump won an election.

This thread, right here, is why 1/2 this country hates the other half.

You fucking disgust me.
__________________
"Get crazy with the cheez whiz!"
  #59  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Snarky_Kong Snarky_Kong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Another lie. This guy wasn't walking a round with his illegal automatic, and there is no link between the open carry of lawful weapons and his obtaining an illegal weapon.

All you can do to support your case is offer falsehoods. That shows strongly that your case is false, since if you had any reality to offer, you'd do that.
How do you know 1) his gun was an automatic 2) that is was illegal?
  #60  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I'm for more restrictions on guns. What's that got to do with anything? More restrictions on guns wouldn't stop one-off shootings like this. And collectively, we as a society have decided that restrictions or no, guns are something that a citizen is allowed to have, which was my point.
I'm curious as to what restrictions you are in favor of? From what I can tell, any time any restriction is proposed the NRA and friends fire up the 'slippery slope/gun-grabbers' machine and shoot them down (hah!), including a rule that people with mental health issues shouldn't be allowed to purchase weapons.

I'm not saying you are part of the machine - but am interested in what additional restrictions you would be in favor of.

Last edited by Folacin; 10-02-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
  #61  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 19,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Not even in the same ballpark. True wankeriffic is when you use a tragedy to make a political point and ignore the victims except to use them to keep score for new records and such.
...unless, like Bricker and Okrahoma, they support your side of the argument. Then they're just people making sensible points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma
Dancing on the graves, pure and simple.
You know who's dancing right now? These guys:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
You may also be pleased to know that the stock prices for gun manufacturers is up in pre-market trading. Ruger is up 4%, and Smith & Wesson up 5%.
  #62  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,763
Boy, Okrahoma and Bricker, you're quick to jump on the bandwagon of one media report being a lie. Okrah of course has the reputatioin of saying anything convenient to his political side, but Bricker if I recall generally has correctly applied the term "lies" to refer to statements that were fabricated with an intent to deceive. The quoted news report is in error, but the more likely cause is bad editing and fact-checking, and much less likely an attempt to deliberately misinform by conjuring nonsense into facts.
  #63  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
What's disgusting is that we don't even have any facts in yet on how this guy obtained a fully-automatic weapon, and yet OP and his choir are slinging bullshit about their political agenda....
I would like to point out that now is also not the right time to talk about hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico. Let's let FEMA and the National Guard do its job, and then we can discuss whether the relief efforts were successful in another four or five years. People really shouldn't be trying to politicize the issue by saying things like "we need to do more."
  #64  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
So yes, fuck Newsweek for suggesting that reinstating the 94 AWB would have done anything to prevent this shooting, but isn't their mistake being repeated by several posters in this thread as well?

Do we know what kind of weapon it was? Do we know if it was fully automatic or a modified, say, bump-fired semi-automatic? If it was fully automatic, do we know if he had a license?

"The weapon used is already illegal" seems like an unproven assertion at this point.
I am willing to wait. But even in the event you are right, there is no questions that the use he put it to is not protected by the Second Amendment.

I'd rather address the ignorance as it spews forth fresh. RTFirefly has no real interest in telling the truth, as his repeated posts demonstrate, but readers may be interested in facts as opposed to bullshit.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #65  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 32,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate
...unless, like Bricker and Okrahoma, they support your side of the argument. Then they're just people making sensible points.
I seriously doubt either think I'm on their side. Most likely, I'm the only one in this thread on my side, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin
I'm curious as to what restrictions you are in favor of? From what I can tell, any time any restriction is proposed the NRA and friends fire up the 'slippery slope/gun-grabbers' machine and shoot them down (hah!), including a rule that people with mental health issues shouldn't be allowed to purchase weapons.

I'm not saying you are part of the machine - but am interested in what additional restrictions you would be in favor of.
Sure, why not? Hopefully it won't be too much of a hijack of the outrage aspects of the thread. I'm good with universal background checks across the board, and certainly with heavy restrictions on people with known mental images being able to purchase or own a firearm (though how that would work out I'm not sure...devil is in the details). I'm also good with a more national registration system for guns owned, as long as it's not part of a wider gun grab. I'd be good with a federal level license for carrying concealed with heavier restrictions and penalties. I'm not sure how much any of this will help, but I'm good with at least trying.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 10-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
  #66  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Absent laws allowing open carry (no permit, no nothing required for open carry in Nevada), the cops could be called by anyone who saw a guy walking around with a long gun, and almost surely would have been called well before he got into the hotel. Thought I'd write the OP as a 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' post, and celebrate the success of our freedoms.
But of course the guy wasn't walking around with his rifle openly carried. So the abolition of such laws would have done no this to deter him, just like all the other gun grabbers' strategies that disarm lawful intentioned citizens and leave criminals free to ply their criminal trade.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #67  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 AM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 19,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
I guess the weekend tally of all the dead African-American gang-bangers in Chicago isn't photogenic enough, or getting sufficient news coverage, to spark the level of outrage the OP is evincing.

What's disgusting is that we don't even have any facts in yet on how this guy obtained a fully-automatic weapon, and yet OP and his choir are slinging bullshit about their political agenda, gleefully wallowing in the blood of people not even identified by their next of kin yet just to preposition themsleves for the "next big thing" on their legislative agenda.

And then they bitch and moan and cry and wail about not understanding why Trump won an election.

This thread, right here, is why 1/2 this country hates the other half.

You fucking disgust me.
Not as much as you disgust me. The only fuck you give about people killed in gang-related violence in Chicago is that you can use their deaths as an excuse not to be horrified enough at mass shootings to want to do anything about gun control.
  #68  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Boy, Okrahoma and Bricker, you're quick to jump on the bandwagon of one media report being a lie. Okrah of course has the reputatioin of saying anything convenient to his political side, but Bricker if I recall generally has correctly applied the term "lies" to refer to statements that were fabricated with an intent to deceive. The quoted news report is in error, but the more likely cause is bad editing and fact-checking, and much less likely an attempt to deliberately misinform by conjuring nonsense into facts.
When I see even one bad editing, bad fact checking report from Newsweek that puts guns or gun rights in a mistakenly better light, I will be more inclined to accept that possibility. When each "mistake" helps the same agenda, the possibility of neutral, honest error becomes less credible.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #69  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Another lie.
Oh really! Guess you didn't read up in law school on what a lie is.
Quote:
This guy wasn't walking a round with his illegal automatic
If that's the case, I apologize. That's what I heard reported.
Quote:
and there is no link between the open carry of lawful weapons and his obtaining an illegal weapon.
Well no, but so what? There are abundant ways to obtain illegal weapons.
  #70  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
When I see even one bad editing, bad fact checking report from Newsweek that puts guns or gun rights in a mistakenly better light, I will be more inclined to accept that possibility. When each "mistake" helps the same agenda, the possibility of neutral, honest error becomes less credible.
If you learned that the reporter who wrote the article was a London-based British journalist whose beat is actually Africa and the Middle East, would that lead you to suspect:

1. He doesn't know what he's talking about in terms of the 1994 AWB and his factual error slipped by the editors; or
2. He is engaged in a political conspiracy to spread propaganda through Newsweek's dozens and dozens of daily readers, and concocted the beginning of this Russia-RT-like propaganda campaign within hours of the tragedy occurring?

Oh, who am I kidding. The topic of guns is involved, so your feelings are more hurt than if the news story was talking about your dear mother. Of course you're going to choose #2 until the last possible moment that you can.
  #71  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
I guess the weekend tally of all the dead African-American gang-bangers in Chicago isn't photogenic enough, or getting sufficient news coverage, to spark the level of outrage the OP is evincing.
I presume a society with limited access to firearms would have a lot fewer "dead African-American gang-bangers in Chicago" as well. Sorry if I failed to be pre-emptively outraged about everything you might have brought up.
Quote:
What's disgusting is that we don't even have any facts in yet on how this guy obtained a fully-automatic weapon
Why is that important? I assume there are multiple ways he could have obtained a fully automatic weapon, and I'm not sure of the relevance of this guy's particular means of doing so to this discussion, which is why I haven't brought that up.
Quote:
, and yet OP and his choir are slinging bullshit about their political agenda, gleefully wallowing in the blood of people not even identified by their next of kin yet just to preposition themsleves for the "next big thing" on their legislative agenda.
I'd damn sure like to have less blood to wallow in. That's what I want. I'm goddamn pissed that there's so much damn blood, but somehow it's 'gleefully wallowing' to be upset about it in real time. Fuck that shit.

When the others are done sticking their head in the pig, your turn is next.
Quote:
You fucking disgust me.
I don't mind that in the least. You seem to be fucking disgusted about all the wrong things.
  #72  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 AM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 24,637
What I don't get is Jason Aldean using the hashtag #stopthehate . Wasn't this one lone nutter and not part of some systemic "hate"??
  #73  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
When I see even one bad editing, bad fact checking report from Newsweek that puts guns or gun rights in a mistakenly better light, I will be more inclined to accept that possibility. When each "mistake" helps the same agenda, the possibility of neutral, honest error becomes less credible.
When you take one mistake on my part, and turn it into repeated accusations of lying, the possibility that you were doing so by neutral, honest error becomes less credible.

Your turn in the pig next.
  #74  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,003
I don't own any guns, don't really give a shit about guns. The people who worship the second amendment need to fix this shit. It's your fucking problem. Clean up your own fucking mess.
  #75  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 AM
El_Kabong El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
I guess the weekend tally of all the dead African-American gang-bangers in Chicago isn't photogenic enough, or getting sufficient news coverage, to spark the level of outrage the OP is evincing.

What's disgusting is that we don't even have any facts in yet on how this guy obtained a fully-automatic weapon, and yet OP and his choir are slinging bullshit about their political agenda, gleefully wallowing in the blood of people not even identified by their next of kin yet just to preposition themsleves for the "next big thing" on their legislative agenda.

And then they bitch and moan and cry and wail about not understanding why Trump won an election.

This thread, right here, is why 1/2 this country hates the other half.

You fucking disgust me.
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to reserve a bit of disgust for some deranged mook mowing down a bunch of random people from a hotel window. YMMV.
  #76  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Kinthalis Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,049
For what purpose would anyone need to own these types of weapons?

Why are people allowed to own weapons with this type of firepower?

What the fuck is wrong with this country?
  #77  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
If you learned that the reporter who wrote the article was a London-based British journalist whose beat is actually Africa and the Middle East, would that lead you to suspect:

1. He doesn't know what he's talking about in terms of the 1994 AWB and his factual error slipped by the editors; or
2. He is engaged in a political conspiracy to spread propaganda through Newsweek's dozens and dozens of daily readers, and concocted the beginning of this Russia-RT-like propaganda campaign within hours of the tragedy occurring?

Oh, who am I kidding. The topic of guns is involved, so your feelings are more hurt than if the news story was talking about your dear mother. Of course you're going to choose #2 until the last possible moment that you can.
3. The author is careless and/or ignorant. The editors are strongly anti-gun, which animates their fact-checking decisions. An statement that supports an anti-gun agenda is not fact-checked, because it doesn't ring false. A statement that strengthens the gun rights argument is carefully fact-checked because the editors don't want it to be true. This means that false statements that support gun restrictions easily make it to publications, and false statements that support gun rights are reliably detected and squelched. This endemic bias is fairly characterized as "lying," because it arises from more than neutral, honest error.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #78  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
For what purpose would anyone need to own these types of weapons?

Why are people allowed to own weapons with this type of firepower?

What the fuck is wrong with this country?
(1) "You deliberately stabbed this guy with your knife and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(2) "You deliberately beat this guy with your baseball bat and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(3) "You deliberately ran this guy over with your car and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(4) "You deliberately shot this guy with your rifle and he's dead! Why don't we do something about guns? What the fuck's wrong with this country?"
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.

Last edited by Bricker; 10-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
  #79  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Because an individual decided to murder those 50+ people, and deserves to be slammed in every way possible. We know that by allowing citizens to use alcohol some non-zero number is going to drive and kill some non-zero number of other innocent drivers, but those doing the drinking and driving still deserve our ire when they do stupid shit like that.
Sorry, but speaking as a statistician, fuck that shit.

If you know that if you leave things unchanged, X number of people are going to do Y bad things, but you just don't know which ones, then sure, each time there's an individual responsible, but it's the leaving things unchanged that leads to the sequence of individual actions.

So a sane society will try to change those things in a way that makes X and Y smaller. If a small but determined subset of our society, call it Z, manages to keep that from happening, then yeah, I'm gonna be more upset about Z than about the individual X's.

Insights into yesterday's X isn't going to keep tomorrow's X from shooting a bunch of people, so why the fuck should I care about him? If he were still alive, the criminal justice system would execute him or lock him up until he dies, and they wouldn't need my rage to make that happen anyway.

Tomorrow's X will have an easier time getting his hands on higher-powered guns and kill a lot of Y's thanks to Z. I don't know who tomorrow's X will be. But I know Z.
  #80  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 32,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to reserve a bit of disgust for some deranged mook mowing down a bunch of random people from a hotel window. YMMV.
Well, here is what's knows about the deranged mook thus far:

Quote:
(CNN)Who was Stephen Paddock, the man police say killed more than 50 people on the Las Vegas Strip?

Paddock, 64, was found dead in his room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas when a police SWAT team broke down the door. Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said authorities believe Paddock killed himself.

Officers found at least 10 rifles in the room. Police don't think anybody else was involved in the shooting.

Paddock had been at the hotel since Thursday, Lombardo said. Authorities said it appears he fired guns from his room into the crowd at the Route 91 Harvest music festival on Sunday night, killing more than 50 and wounding over 400.
Quote:
Paddock had been living in Mesquite, 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas. The town of 18,000 people is a retiree community with several casinos and golf courses.
Authorities searched his home Monday and found weapons and ammunition, but Mesquite police spokesman Quinn Averett did not give details. Averett didn't know how long Paddock had lived in the area.

"What's unique for us is the gunman, the shooter, and the person with him, we in the Mesquite Police Department have not had any contact with these people in the past. We haven't had any traffic stops, any law enforcement contact, no arrests or nothing," Averett said.

Law enforcement has no "derogatory information" about Paddock, besides the fact that he received a citation several years ago that was handled in the court system, Lombardo said.
Quote:
The brother said he knew Stephen Paddock had a couple of handguns and maybe one long rifle but did not know of any automatic weapons. Stephen Paddock did not have a machine gun when he moved him from Melbourne to Mesquite, Eric Paddock said.

Marilou Danley was identified as Paddock's companion or roommate, Lombardo said. She does not appear to have been involved in the shooting and was in the Philippines when the shooting took place, authorities said. Paddock had been using some of her identification, Lombardo said.

Paddock had a private pilot's license and the FAA is gathering his records, according to FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown.

So far, authorities have found no military records for Stephen Paddock.
So, we know fuck all about this crazy asshole so far. We don't know what, if any motivation he had, where he obtained the majority of his weapons or really much of anything wrt solid information. Just that he was a fairly reclusive (seemingly) old white guy who had no contact with the police prior to this mess.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 10-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.
  #81  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Kinthalis Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
(1) "You deliberately stabbed this guy with your knife and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(2) "You deliberately beat this guy with your baseball bat and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(3) "You deliberately ran this guy over with your car and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(4) "You deliberately shot this guy with your rifle and he's dead! Why don't we do something about guns? What the fuck's wrong with this country?"
I'm going to assume you've gone full retard on us here because you just love guns so much, and not that you're having a stroke.
  #82  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 19,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
(1) "You deliberately stabbed this guy with your knife and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(2) "You deliberately beat this guy with your baseball bat and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(3) "You deliberately ran this guy over with your car and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(4) "You deliberately shot this guy with your rifle and he's dead! Why don't we do something about guns? What the fuck's wrong with this country?"
Another example of "we can't do anything about guns as long as any other means to kill somebody exist."
  #83  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
(1) "You deliberately stabbed this guy with your knife and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(2) "You deliberately beat this guy with your baseball bat and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(3) "You deliberately ran this guy over with your car and he's dead! What the fuck's wrong with you?"

(4) "You deliberately shot this guy with your rifle and he's dead! Why don't we do something about guns? What the fuck's wrong with this country?"
(4a) "You deliberately shot 50 people with your rifle and they are dead! What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"
  #84  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,003
Looks like the gun crime apologists are disappointed with the low body count. Surely citizens should be allowed access to grenade launchers and tactical nukes too. It says "shall not be infringed" motherfuckers.
  #85  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 21,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Hell, let's arm the housemaids and the bell hops. It's the only way we can all be safe.
But Uke, they's likely brown folk!
  #86  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
3. The author is careless and/or ignorant. The editors are strongly anti-gun, which animates their fact-checking decisions. An statement that supports an anti-gun agenda is not fact-checked, because it doesn't ring false. A statement that strengthens the gun rights argument is carefully fact-checked because the editors don't want it to be true. This means that false statements that support gun restrictions easily make it to publications, and false statements that support gun rights are reliably detected and squelched. This endemic bias is fairly characterized as "lying," because it arises from more than neutral, honest error.
How, exactly, does one of Paddock's 10 weapons being illegal (or at least very difficult) to own support an "anti-gun agenda"?
  #87  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:15 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Looks like the gun crime apologists are disappointed with the low body count. Surely citizens should be allowed access to grenade launchers and tactical nukes too. It says "shall not be infringed" motherfuckers.
I've long wondered about that. The Second Amendment doesn't say 'firearms' or 'sidearms,' it says 'arms.' And nuclear arms are, well, arms. It's right there in the name.
  #88  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 43,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
I'm going to assume you've gone full retard on us here because you just love guns so much, and not that you're having a stroke.
I'm going to assume he's just trolling again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Another example of "we can't do anything about guns as long as any other means to kill somebody exist."
Being called on fallacies is for other people, not him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
(4a) "You deliberately shot 50 people with your rifle and they are dead! What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"
Tools that are intended for that purpose, unlike the others the troll brought into it.
  #89  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
(4a) "You deliberately shot 50 people with your rifle and they are dead! What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"
"You deliberately killed 168 people with a rental truck, fertilizer, and fuel oil. What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"

Answer?
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
  #90  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troynovant
Posts: 7,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
At least 50 dead, 200 injured in Las Vegas shooting. Just another red-blooded American taking advantage of his Second Amendment freedoms! And not only that, he set a new record for deaths in a mass shooting. What a tough mark for the next guy to try to top, but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough. Go U.S.A.!

Classy, quickly politicizing the deaths of 58 people so far, many of whom are likely to have supported the Second Amendment. I'm sure they would have appreciated some anti-gun nut speaking for them.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 10-02-2017 at 12:18 PM.
  #91  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
How, exactly, does one of Paddock's 10 weapons being illegal (or at least very difficult) to own support an "anti-gun agenda"?
The suggestion that the now-repealed Clinton-era ban would have prevented ownership of the weapon is the anti-gun rights agenda.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.

Last edited by Bricker; 10-02-2017 at 12:19 PM.
  #92  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 PM
John Mace John Mace is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 80,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
(4a) "You deliberately shot 50 people with your rifle and they are dead! What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"
Emphasis added. Can we wait to find out whether the gun was even legal and if it was obtained legally before we ask that question?

Last edited by John Mace; 10-02-2017 at 12:20 PM.
  #93  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Richard Parker Richard Parker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 11,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
"You deliberately killed 168 people with a rental truck, fertilizer, and fuel oil. What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"

Answer?
The answer, of course, is that we then instituted more regulations of both rental trucks and fertilizer.
  #94  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 43,485
Why can't we discuss why things are legal or not, Your Majesty?
  #95  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
"You deliberately killed 168 people with a rental truck, fertilizer, and fuel oil. What the fuck's wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with this country that you had access to tools that allowed you to do that?"

Answer?
Is there a store where I can get a truck, fertilizer, and fuel oil all in one go? Like, all mixed together, no assembly required, etc?

Last edited by Ravenman; 10-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
  #96  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
So, we know fuck all about this crazy asshole so far.
Do you think that knowing more about this guy will help us prevent the next mass shooting? If so, why? If not, why should I care about his particulars?
  #97  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:22 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 43,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Classy, quickly politicizing the deaths of 58 people so far, many of whom are likely to have supported the Second Amendment.
Pathetic, using the traditional gun-fetishist tactic of avoiding serious discussion.
Quote:
I'm sure they would have appreciated some anti-gun nut speaking for them.
I'm sure they would have appreciated being alive.

Damn.
  #98  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
BobLibDem BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 19,270
We're all acting out this comic.
  #99  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,763
In more good news, the House is set to vote on a new firearms-related bill:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...vegas-shooting

No word on whether it is going to be renamed the Stephen Paddock Hearing Protection Act of 2017.
  #100  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Bricker Bricker is offline
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 54,972
You know what?

Screw this.

I'm out of this thread, and I leave you anti-gun idiots with this pleasant thought: bloviate all you want. Mewl and whine and maybe all get together and chant. I love it when you idiots offer up shit like, "Hey hey, ho ho, all these guns have got to go, hey hey, ho ho."

But that's not happening. This tragedy is the result of the fact that there are sick and evil people in the world, and it is NOT the result of a robust Second Amendment.

And that robust Second Amendment is immune to your grabby little fingers. So no matter how many sit-ins, marches, chants, and lies you spew, the law is not going to change.

That's reality. Get used to it.
__________________
It was always the Doctor and Sarah.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017