Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 AM

Are all these places ours from when we mugged Spain?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:37 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Are all these places ours from when we mugged Spain?
PR and Guam. Not DC or the US Virgin Islands.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM

Maybe we should pull our troops out of Afghanistan, Yemen, and Niger (seriously, wtf are we doing in Niger?!) so they can invade Puerto Rico.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
And here come the helicopters....
Were they black helicopters? Those are the best kind.
Quote:
Saw several US military helicopters flying into the Owen Roberts Airport here in Grand Cayman earlier today. Local media is reporting that they are returning from service assisting with Hurricane Irma in the eastern Caribbean. They made a similar fuel stop in Cayman when they were deploying from their home base in Honduras.

I saw the three Apaches and two Chinooks flying in one after the other. I missed the landing of the C130. Apparently we are expecting more returning military flights tomorrow, three Marine Se Stallions.
WTF? Why do you bring gunships to a relief mission, unless you plan to relieve the folks on the ground of their lives?

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-13-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
All the other commonwealths get to vote.
Doesn't matter what they deign to call themselves. Each was admitted to the union as a state with a republican government, as required by the constitution. So, not only are they states, they are also republics.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Were they black helicopters? Those are the best kind.WTF? Why do you bring gunships to a relief mission, unless you plan to relieve the folks on the ground of their lives?
Helicopters. Can land and take off without airports, perform low level flight to find out stuff. If not loaded with munitions, can carry antibiotics, though obviously not enough water or food to make a difference.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
PR and Guam. Not DC or the US Virgin Islands.
We bought US VI from Denmark around WWI. It had something to do with not wanting Germans in the Caribbean, fearing that if Germany overran Denmark, they might take control of the islands.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say, hey
If I had a rocket launcher, if I had a rocket launcher
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make somebody pay.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Saw several US military helicopters flying into the Owen Roberts Airport here in Grand Cayman earlier today. Local media is reporting that they are returning from service assisting with Hurricane Irma in the eastern Caribbean. They made a similar fuel stop in Cayman when they were deploying from their home base in Honduras.

I saw the three Apaches and two Chinooks flying in one after the other. I missed the landing of the C130. Apparently we are expecting more returning military flights tomorrow, three Marine Se Stallions.

So good to know. All done there. Nothing more to do or see. Move along.

What were apache gunships doing, flying cover for the chinooks. Sounds odd for disaster response.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Well, Rick Perry seems to think Puerto Rico is another country .
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03a7be57fa474
Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Well, Rick Perry seems to think Puerto Rico is another country .
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03a7be57fa474
And today Trump told reporters that he had spoken to "the President of the Virgin Islands." That would by YOU, dumbass.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
And today Trump told reporters that he had spoken to "the President of the Virgin Islands." That would by YOU, dumbass.
I would imagine that he talks to himself.
And answers.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Suspended

He only speaks to the most important people.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I would imagine that he talks to himself.
And answers.
And tends to mishear what he says to himself.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
And tends to mishear what he says to himself.
If only he would start Twitter feuds with himself ...
Old 10-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
If only he would start Twitter feuds with himself ...
Similar to this?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
What were apache gunships doing, flying cover for the chinooks. Sounds odd for disaster response.
Not really. It's the army. They want security for their shit. Even from american citizens. Plus desperate people are more likely to do crazy things, like trying to storm a relief base.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Were they black helicopters? Those are the best kind.WTF? Why do you bring gunships to a relief mission, unless you plan to relieve the folks on the ground of their lives?
Their sights.

The Chinook and Blackhawk are equipped with the Mark I eyeballs of their crew. Because of its primary use, the Apache is equipped with magnifying daylight and and thermal sights capable of seeing clearly at long distances. It's hard to effectively kill at long range if you can't see at long range. It also has a recording system to capture video from the sights for later analysis. It makes for a very capable observation aircraft even when you aren't planning to kill what you see.

We kept them in Bosnia all the way to the end of the nine year peacekeeping mission for that very reason.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:36 AM

The military uses what they have, i guess. I see another local report said they are Black Hawks and not Apaches. I wouldn't know the difference from a brief glance out my office window with a view from the left rear quarter and about a mile away.

Either model would be good enough for making observations of things like power line damage in remote areas and such. And yes, they looked black to me, though perhaps were actually a dark grey or such. Had a red cross on the nose of one in a new photo so perhaps that particular helicopter isn't totally outfitted for killing. Black Hawks are used for medical evacuations so perhaps that's the one.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:25 AM

Spic who pretends to be a Congressperson badmouths Dear Leader.

She complains that Puerto Ricans aren't treated like citizens. Nonsense! The most sacred honor of citizenship is to be drafted into the military and, as Ms. Velázquez herself points out, Puerto Ricans have been drafted into every (drafted) war since W.W. I; indeed it was to give them the right to be drafted that the U.S. forced Puerto Ricans to become U.S. citizens.

Ben Carson was sitting in the hot seat, acting even stupider than Frumpkfuck, but was spared answering Ms. Velázquez's question: "The time of the gentle lady has expired."
Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 AM

John Oliver's report on Puerto Rico is worth watching.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM

https://www.thedailybeast.com/which-...rricane-donald

From the Daily Beast

Which Was Worse for Puerto Rico, Hurricane Maria or Hurricane Donald?

I hope he's wrong, afraid he's right. And we don't know. What is happening in the interior of PR, out of sight, out of mind. If it was good, they would have already bragged about it. No food, no water, no power, no medicine, what happens next?

Is that what's going on? Is that the reason we have a sudden gush of very, very important events, terribly important news about everything else but? What actual information do we have, does anybody know? We know there is almost no communication to the interior, no roads, no phones. What could possibly go right?

IF it were good news, they would have told us, the would break both arms patting themselves on the back. They haven't told us. Anyone have the real facts, not the fake news, that the interior of PR is dotted with aid stations and outposts?

Sure would love to be wrong. Please, tell me I'm wrong. Prove it Make my month. Show me the pictures of tens of thousands of our people being fed, clothed, and treated. Show me the pictures of the healthy, safe children not shitting themselves to death from Stone Age intestinal infections. Show me the proof that I'm a silly old lefty who automatically assumes the worst.

Embarrass me. Please.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 AM

That pretty much tells me all I ever need to know about you.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:08 AM

I'm kinda skeptical of the stories circulating in less-than-major sites that FEMA has been handing out meals in Puerto Rico consisting of a can of Vienna sausages, a Nutri-Grain bar, and a pack of Skittles candies.

OTOH, there's unfortunately no reason to doubt the CNN story that Puerto Ricans have been reduced to getting water from a Superfund site.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 AM

Trump University: Land Grab 101

You can never be a successful Landlord if you don't control your tenants. When you come across people that occupy space that you own, or want to own, you need to control their environment.

If you are dealing with a rent controlled property, shut off or limit essential services like heat and water so that you can force the squatters out.

If you covet a piece of property (Puerto Rico as an example), start destabilizing their economy by changing US laws that allow investment into their space. And when they can't pay their bills anymore, sell them bond's that only keep them afloat, not enough to help them, just enough to keep them breathing.

Now the coup de gras. A natural catastrophe hits and your window of opportunity has opened. This is the Trump University Alumna's dream. You can actually kill brown people on a massive scale and get away with it. Just ignore them and their needs. If Trump University demonstrated anything, it is that the more brown people die, the cheaper you can buy their property.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post

Now the coup de gras. A natural catastrophe hits and your window of opportunity has opened. This is the Trump University Alumna's dream. You can actually kill brown people on a massive scale and get away with it. Just ignore them and their needs. If Trump University demonstrated anything, it is that the more brown people die, the cheaper you can buy their property.
Reminds me of Stalin.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
This is American territory and it's being threatened with a military invasion. We need to send troops to defend our island.
Anybody experienced with false flag actions? If we could fake a Venezuelan invasion....
Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Yes, it really is. I've posted the link in other threads several times. Great report on the causes of Puerto Rico's financial problems.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 AM

Thing is, there is still an amazing dearth of news. Most importantly, from the interior of PR. Cell phone calls, internet notices. smoke signals. Nothing. Intrepid TV correspondents, with glowing reports of tough, resilient folks "making do" in a bad situation, determined to rebuild....you know the drill. Not that I can see from several days of poking around news sources.

And this is an admin that always crows over good news, even good news about a horrible situation. And if they can't be quick about good news, then they are quick to pretend bad news is really good. Or its not really that good, but certainly not as bad as the fake media would have us believe.

Not even that. And here at Eeyore Central, that worries me. Can it be that even after all this time, we know almost nothing about what is going on there? We don't have drones, we don't have helicopters? Small planes that can fly low and slow. They are, and they don't tell us what they are finding? Or they are, and haven't found anything to tell us?

I've been trying to come up with a scenario where this lack of input might mean a good thing, even a silver lining thing. But I got nothin'.

Anybody?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM

The trouble is at least twofold (IMHO). First, the public has a short attention span for news. Irma pushed Harvey off the front page, likewise Maria shoved Irma aside, then the Las Vegas shootings occupied the headlines, and now the California wildfires are the main disaster news. In a nutshell, Puerto Rico is old news. God help us and them.

Second, it's back to news fatigue. Besides the overload of natural disaster news, the Las Vegas shooting and other, less globally catastrophic events (other shootings), there's the multitude of refugee crises, political news around the world, and right in the middle of it sits our own big fat ongoing disaster: Donald Trump, whose goal is to ALWAYS be in the headlines for some dumb stunt multiple times per day.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
In a nutshell, Puerto Rico is old news. God help us and them.
Yes.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 PM

Elon Musk wants to invade Puerto Rico!

There's a plan; it's very cool!
Quote:
Puerto Rico’s largely devastated power grid is still far from a recovery, despite recent efforts by Tesla to supply the island with much-needed energy through a microgrid of solar panels and energy storage batteries. To this end, Puerto Rico’s Department of Economic Development and Commerce Secretary Manuel Laboy has proposed transforming the Caribbean island’s crippled energy infrastructure with the help of Elon Musk’s company.

According to Bloomberg, Laboy had supposedly been in talks with Tesla even before disaster struck Puerto Rico with Hurricane Maria. The plan would be to improve the island’s decades-old energy system — which has long been riddled with inefficiency leading to vulnerability — by setting up an ecosystem of micro-grids and regional grids powered by solar energy and Tesla’s Powerpack storage batteries. Musk had previously made similar comments, suggesting that Puerto Rico’s current state of post-disaster recovery could present an opportunity to fix its power grid.
Typically big and bold plan by Musk, but by Og he's been able to pull off a lot of big shit; I say go for it, Puerto Rico (but retain at least 51% ownership; don't be stupid).
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Montana firm that had just 2 employees when Maria hit Puerto Rico lands $300M contract to rebuild PR's power grid.

And astounding coinkydink: it's located in the same town that Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke lives in.

Quote:
Whitefish Energy is based in Whitefish, Mont., the home town of Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. Its chief executive, Andy Techmanski, and Zinke acknowledge knowing one another — but only, Zinke’s office said in an email, because Whitefish is a small town where “everybody knows everybody.”
Not quite peak swamp, but working on it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Montana firm that had just 2 employees when Maria hit Puerto Rico lands $300M contract to rebuild PR's power grid.

And astounding coinkydink: it's located in the same town that Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke lives in.

Oh, there's more:
Quote:
A native of Montana, Zinke's son spent a summer working at Whitefish Energy, and the company's chief executive, Andy Techmanski, acknowledges he and Zinke know one another.
OTOH, I wonder if I should hit them up for a gig:
Quote:
Another issue that has garnered attention is the requested pay scale for workers. At a rate of $330/hour for a site supervisor, along with $332/night for accommodations and $80/day for food, it's a personnel cost that is not quite the norm for similar projects.
More info in this story:
Quote:
Typically, immediately after a disaster, the American Public Power Association – a public utilities trade group – emcees a conference call with its membership – 1,100 public utilities across the country – to get all the needed line workers and bucket trucks to the stricken area as soon as possible under what are called mutual aid agreements. For instance, the public power association facilitated the rapid deployment of many thousands of workers and their equipment to Texas and Florida after hurricanes Harvey and Irma struck.

But the Puerto Rico Electrical Power Authority (PREPA) took a different route after Maria’s 155 mph winds decimated the island’s already-failing electrical grid on Sept. 20, leaving 3.4 million residents, hospitals and businesses without electricity – possibly for months.

When the power association convened its conference shortly after Maria struck, PREPA told participants it wouldn’t need the network’s help because it had already contracted with Whitefish Energy Holdings LLC, a two-year-old consultancy, to spearhead the restoration efforts.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-24-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

WTF?!?!

You know who also lives in Whitefish? Shithead Richard Spencer.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...of-whitefi/#/0
Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 AM

missed the edit window:
Quote:
But PREPA spokesman Carlos Monroig Aceveda told weather.com that it had paid Whitefish “$2 million for the costs of mobilizing personnel and equipment,” adding that its contracts “are evaluated and awarded by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in coordination with FEMA, which disburses the money.”

His statement that the Corps was supervising didn’t square with what Catalina Carrasco of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers told weather.com. She said the Corps “does not have any involvement with the contract between PREPA and Whitefish, adding in an email that the Corps “does not know how PREPA negotiated the contract. USACE does not know how PREPA is paying Whitefish. The contract is between PREPA and Whitefish. Corps of Engineers, did not negotiate, does not have ANY involvement between PREPA and Whitefish.” The emphasis was in the email.

William Douglass, a spokesperson for FEMA, said the agency’s databases do not show any dealings with Whitefish, although he added that FEMA gives money to agencies like PREPA and those agencies sometimes give some money to a third party like Whitefish without FEMA necessarily knowing.
Quote:
Both FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers have distanced themselves from PREPA’s contract with Whitefish. But FEMA has given PREPA $97 million to restore the power lines and PREPA could have used some of that money to pay Whitefish. FEMA announced Monday it was approving an additional $128 million for PREPA.
Quote:
Whitefish’s Techmanski was working in Puerto Rico and couldn’t be reached for comment, according to spokesman Brandon Smulyan, who was himself unable to answer basic questions about the company because he has only been working with Whitefish under a contract for the past week. For instance, he couldn’t say how many employees Whitefish has. Public records list Andrew Techmanski as the president and Amanda Techmanski, whom public records identify as a registered nurse, as the manager. Andrew Techmanski has an extensive background in power-line work, according to his LinkedIn profile and other public records.

Smulyan said the young company is funded by two private equity firms – HBC Investments and Flat Creek Capital – both based in Dallas, Texas – and Brazil-based Comtrafo Transformers, which builds power transformers.
Follow the money...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Flat Creek Capital Management
Quote:
Flat Creek Capital Management, LP is a registered investment advisory firm located in Dallas, Texas. This firm does not report having any employees or assets under management.
Hmmmmmmm.On April 27th, 2016 they raised $14,001,000.

The founder is listed as Lance Etcheverry and his name and brief bio are the only things that come up when you click on Flat Creek Capital's 'Leadership' button.

HBC Investments seems to be a mostly family-owned equity firm, centered around Joe Colonnetta and the Hoak family.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-24-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 AM

I hope they are able to put a majority of the cable distribution under ground.

Granted it is more costly. But the maintenance factor goes way down. Especially in hurricane prone areas.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post

Granted it is more costly. But the maintenance factor goes way down. Especially in hurricane prone areas.
How can you make any money next time if there are no poles to be knocked over?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post

Quote:
I dunno how many there were previously but
Quote:
Separately, the Army Corps of Engineers has put in a purchase order for 50,000 utility poles and 6,500 miles of cable.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
There's a plan; it's very cool!Typically big and bold plan by Musk, but by Og he's been able to pull off a lot of big shit; I say go for it, Puerto Rico (but retain at least 51% ownership; don't be stupid).
Of course you realize that if he is able to pull it off, Trump will roll in and say that it was all his doing.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Of course you realize that if he is able to pull it off, Trump will roll in and say that it was all his doing.
Frankly, don't care if PR ends up with cheaper, more reliable power.

In any case, President's get blame and fame for lots of things that are outside their control.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post

In any case, President's get blame and fame for lots of things that are outside their control.
Like not rescuing hostages held by Iran, and killing bin Laden.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Puerto Rican's who are American citizens (I wish someone would inform Trump of this, though he's probably immune to facts).
That's irrelevant. What matters is whether they're Trump supporters.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM

My "Invade PR" title is meant as an exhortation, that we apply the same level of resource and commitment as would an invasion. I did not mean to cheerlead for corporate predators to sweep down and steal what few bits of hope remain to them.

I apologize for any misunderstanding.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Like not rescuing hostages held by Iran, and killing bin Laden.
I'm not sure what you are saying here? Carter and Obama personally authorized those missions, so the success/failure is on them. On the other hand, the Marine barracks in Beirut and the consulate attack at Benghazi were nothing Reagan or Obama had much control over.

Trump deserves no blame for PR losing electrical power. He deserves all of the blame for the crappy initial response and the ongoing clusterfuck that appears to be the ongoing response.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying here? Carter and Obama personally authorized those missions, so the success/failure is on them. On the other hand, the Marine barracks in Beirut and the consulate attack at Benghazi were nothing Reagan or Obama had much control over.

Trump deserves no blame for PR losing electrical power. He deserves all of the blame for the crappy initial response and the ongoing clusterfuck that appears to be the ongoing response.
I don't think it is "on them". It's not like Carter forgot to change airfilters, or Obama shot bin Ladin. They were both told by the military that it would be successful, and they gave the orders.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Besides, when Trump buys the bankrupt island and turns it into the Biggest, Best, Resort/Golf Club ever, he won't want all those unsightly poles. (Or other Eastern European ethnic groups...)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Besides, when Trump buys the bankrupt island and turns it into the Biggest, Best, Resort/Golf Club ever, he won't want all those unsightly poles. (Or other Eastern European ethnic groups...)
Well, he likes Czechs. But only if they're made out to him.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Well, he likes Czechs. But only if they're made out to him.
Ba-da-BING!