Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
And the big question (asked already repeatedly) is:

Why the hell is he having an election rally ONE MONTH INTO HIS FIRST TERM IN OFFICE?
Obviously he's just retreating back into the senile fantasy world of the 2016 campaign, where he didn't have to actually do anything, and where he could just spew out bullshit all day and thousands of dupes would lap it up.

Really, that's all he wants to do in general. He's not running the country--just a PR campaign. Everything he's doing now is just to desperately get his ratings up. He knows that immigration got big cheers from the suckers who supported him, so he's ginning that up to make it look like big changes to placate those same suckers.

Meanwhile, the craven sycophants who surround him let him go off to Florida to babble about the good old days while they figure out how to cash in off of the American people.
Advertisements  
Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I hope there may be some Trump voters smart enough to realize the fool they put in the White House. But converting them all is impossible.
Most of the suckers who support Trump won't realize anything for a long time, because they really want to believe his bullshit, and he'll always have an excuse or decoy to distract them from seeing that he's not fundamentally changing anything.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
There have to be better uses for a life-size trump cutout. Think of a few.
Target practice, dart games, kindling, levelling out a table ... any I've missed?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Clutching Provocateur View Post
"In a letter to employees last week, Krzanich praised Trump administration policies for making U.S. manufacturing more competitive with "new regulatory standards and investment policies."
It's usually smart, particularly in politics, to observe actions rather than listen to words.

The plant was announced in 2011 and built in 2013.

Krzanich said some words in 2017. I'm sure you are astute enough to imagine why he might have said what he said, even if it wasn't true.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I realize his ego needs the adulation, especially since in Washington everyone is picking on him/at him. So he def grooves on this part, and the crowds seem to love the stream of consciousness, never a complete sentence style of verbiage, as opposed to his everyday job encounters where he has to speak in full sentences or read off a script. So I do see the appeal for him.

But I'm suspicious. Is there any chance that as long as he is still campaigning he's able to play fast and loose with incoming funds? Not unlike he did during his run. Lots of the money he raised ends up getting paid back into his corporation, for venue rentals etc, etc.

Plus what about the protection costs for a president who never stops doing rallies and/or campaigning. Is that paid for by the taxpayer? Or by superpacs maybe? Anyone know?

And how high are the costs for presidential protection in such venues? Is it much higher than daily stuff? Or on par? I'm curious because I've never seen this done before. And I'm always suspicious because Donald doesn't do much that doesn't pay back into his pocket somehow. I'm wondering if he's found a way to make this pay somehow?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:52 AM

I believe this recent tweet from Scott Adams is appropriate here:

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/s...98512531222529
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If he was brought on stage and given the microphone, would he be a heckler( sorry, I couldn't think of a better word at the time)? If all he does is verbally flay the President, would he be a physical threat to be tackled and hauled off?

I think so. An incident of an invitee turned heckler would probably be enough to spook the Secret Service into action. After all when Hillary fainted at the 9/11 service the Secret Service became involved in what must have been a fairly low level threat to a physical attack on her. They even got in the way of a direct hit from a gun possibly disguised as a mobile phone.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Pretending he's some sort of Russian stooge won't fly either. People aren't dumb, they know that if Trump and Putin were in cahoots the former would be criticizing Russia to defer any suspicion, not going easy on Putin, who as an ex-KGB man would know exactly how to best run an agent. Such accusations from the Democrats and their chums in the media and the Intelligence agencies serve only to bolster Trump in the eyes of his supporters.
He has started to criticize Russia and stopped being easy on Putin.

I expect him to go back to supporting Russia and making verbal love to Putin in a few months, after everyone's forgotten.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
It's usually smart, particularly in politics, to observe actions rather than listen to words.

The plant was announced in 2011 and built in 2013.

Krzanich said some words in 2017. I'm sure you are astute enough to imagine why he might have said what he said, even if it wasn't true.
It's usually smart, particularly in debating a Trump supporter named the Pearl Clutching Provocateur, to have facts on your side.

"Intel declined to elaborate Thursday. It plans to start production at Fab 42 in 2020 or 2021 - possibly after Trump's current term."

The plant hasn't been completed yet.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's usually smart, particularly in debating a Trump supporter named the Pearl Clutching Provocateur, to have facts on your side.

"Intel declined to elaborate Thursday. It plans to start production at Fab 42 in 2020 or 2021 - possibly after Trump's current term."

The plant has been constructed. Obviously, no one will fill it with expensive equipment until needed. However, the need for the plant and the construction was during Obama's term.

The need for manufacturing capacity is determined by advancing technology.
Straight from Intel
Quote:
First, let me share some background on Fab 42. It is a factory that we originally started building in 2011, aiming for our 14-nanometer technology. Then, based on a number of manufacturing efficiencies, we were able to defer using Fab 42 because we were able to fit the 14 nm capacity into our existing factory on the Arizona site. Since we deferred Fab 42, we’ve been consistently saying, “Yes, we will need Fab 42 for future space, capacity and for future technologies.” Well, that time has come. So we’re starting to prepare Fab 42 for 7 nanometer.

And, yes, this is a big deal.

As some of you who follow Intel’s business may know, our 10 nm product, the first of which is code-named Cannon Lake, will begin shipping in the second half of this year. And now we are talking about getting ready for 7 nm. You might say, “Well, this is early.” However, we always start preparing our factories several years before products becomes available. The timing is right for us to get ready for 7 nm technology in our factories.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

While Trump was holding a campaign rally, Pence was at a NATO security summit.

Who's really the President?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:

So, let me get this straight...the plant was conceived and built prior to Trump taking office, and it may not be in production (when all those people get hired) until after Trumps' first (and possibly last) term in office, and this is somehow a triumph for President Trump? Is that what you are on about?

Seems a thin gruel for a Sunday morning, IMHO.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
I believe this recent tweet from Scott Adams is appropriate here:

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/s...98512531222529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Adams
Prediction: Trump will claim his rally attendance is higher than it was. Critics will be baffled for the thousandth time in a row.
The first sentence shows that Adams isn't entirely divorced from this reality. But the second sentence shows it's a very tenuous connection. Because is anyone baffled by Trump's doing so?

Boy needs his blanky, that's all. Same as why he held a rally in the first place.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 02-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
What part of "well-oiled machine" do you not understand?
Well-tuned machine. No oil. Guess what happens to any machine with no oil?
FINE. TUNED. MACHINE.

Let's at least quote the Doofus-in-Chief correctly.

Trump says he runs a ‘fine-tuned machine.’ Here are the ways that’s not true.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The first sentence shows that Adams isn't entirely divorced from this reality. But the second sentence shows it's a very tenuous connection. Because is anyone baffled by Trump's doing so?

Boy needs his blanky, that's all. Same as why he held a rally in the first place.
NY Times headline today; Trump's Remarks Baffle a Nation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/w...-a-nation.html
Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
NY Times headline today; Trump's Remarks Baffle a Nation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/w...-a-nation.html
You realize that "Critics baffled by Trump lying about rally attendance" and "Sweden baffled by Trump making up Swedish 'incident'" are not the same thing, right?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Had my FIL and his wife over yesterday. Strong trump supporters. Didn't really discuss Trump head-on, but enough comments were made to confirm that they strongly bought into the idea that Trump was good because he supported a decrease of the excessive regulations which hurt our economy, and that the government has too many employees.

Didn't care to engage them other than (as a career long fed) to observe the easily googleable fact that fed gov't staffing levels is significantly down (in raw numbers and especially per capita), to observe that my shop is understaffed. Also pointed out that at some point services would suffer, and if gov't employees weren't providing them, they'd be provided by private contractors - which does not necessarily reduce cost or improve services.

But my takeaway, combined w/ Trump's weekend rally is, he could be re-elected so long as he panders to his base in the 4-5 closest states that turned the election. There are a ton of folk who are eager to accept emotional appeals. And I don't see how liberals (or intelligent conservatives) can contest that.

Of course that begs the question of WHY Trump wants to be president - not to mention re-elected. The clearest possibilities i perceive are narcissism, or a desire to financially profit.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
You realize that "Critics baffled by Trump lying about rally attendance" and "Sweden baffled by Trump making up Swedish 'incident'" are not the same thing, right?

They are so similar as to be almost indistinguishable. The stories may be different in detail but the narrative is virtually identical.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Of course that begs the question of WHY Trump wants to be president - not to mention re-elected. The clearest possibilities i perceive are narcissism, or a desire to financially profit.
I would say that, that's a safe assumption.

Though I do think that his financials have probably largely served as a Ponzi scheme ever since he got out of using his own money, so "profiting" might not be the most accurate word, but I'm sure that he's seeking new capital at as fast a rate as possible.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I think that at some point in the future forensic accounting will show that the "presidency" was extremely profitable for the cretin.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I think that at some point in the future forensic accounting will show that the "presidency" was extremely profitable for the cretin.
If the worst thing he does is rob you all blind, I think we've all dodged a bullet
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 AM

I read that the rally was "packed with 9000 attendees." The Chicago Tribune reported it that way, and I think the AP did too -- altho I guess the Trib could have just used the AP phrasing.

But this implies that the rally was projected to have about 9000 attendees. This seems small to me -- didn't Trump have way more than that at pre-election rallies? I mean, there were about 9000 people in just a few blocks at the Women's March on Washington. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 5 to 10 times as many at the Not My President rally today in Chicago, and that's only one of the many rallies planned. Obama had way more than 9000 at his farewell speech, and thousands lined up on a bitter cold Chicago morning only to have tickets run out before they could snag one.

So what's the dope? Was this rally deliberately planned to be relatively speaking kind of tiny? Did they somehow adjust the space so that the 9000 that showed up filled the space, while they could have if necessary accommodated many more?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I read that the rally was "packed with 9000 attendees." The Chicago Tribune reported it that way, and I think the AP did too -- altho I guess the Trib could have just used the AP phrasing.

But this implies that the rally was projected to have about 9000 attendees. This seems small to me -- didn't Trump have way more than that at pre-election rallies? I mean, there were about 9000 people in just a few blocks at the Women's March on Washington. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 5 to 10 times as many at the Not My President rally today in Chicago, and that's only one of the many rallies planned. Obama had way more than 9000 at his farewell speech, and thousands lined up on a bitter cold Chicago morning only to have tickets run out before they could snag one.

So what's the dope? Was this rally deliberately planned to be relatively speaking kind of tiny? Did they somehow adjust the space so that the 9000 that showed up filled the space, while they could have if necessary accommodated many more?
That appears to be about the capacity of the hangar.
Quote:
On Sept. 27, Trump made a campaign speech at the same AeroMod International hangar. Melbourne Police Chief Steve Mimbs estimated the audience was about 8,500 inside the hangar. Thousands more people who wanted to attend could not get inside because of building capacity limits.
This doofus predicted 25000 attendance for this round.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Trump did this many times during the campaign and WON unlike Hillary who could only draw a few hundred and Kaine who once had single digits at an appearance.

On Youtube, I saw 130,000 were watching during one of the streams.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Trump did this many times during the campaign and WON unlike Hillary who could only draw a few hundred and Kaine who once had single digits at an appearance.

And they were all giving him a standing ovation. Much bigger than Peyton Manning's.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
I chuckled. Bitterly. The sheer adacity of Trump attacking Obama and Clinton for what he does himself, but much, much worse, is astounding.

Has anyone read about the "Blacks for Trump"scam of Saturday?
FINALLY someone brings this up! I have been asking how Republicans feel about Trump promoting this hate group since his campaign, back when the website linked was Gods2.com. Now both that and the BlacksforTrump2020 redirect to the same insane rantings. There's years of insane ranting videos by that guy Michael Whateverhegoesbynow.

I want to know what people make of that website.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Was this rally deliberately planned to be relatively speaking kind of tiny?
He probably was to trying to keep it from getting out of hand.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 PM

I skimmed the thread but didn't read carefully so excuse me if it's been mentioned... the reason this is a "campaign event" is because that allows him to sell merchandise and to choose who is let in. If it were just a presidential speech, he'd have to allow everyone in and couldn't have protestors tossed or sell his crap.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
FINALLY someone brings this up! I have been asking how Republicans feel about Trump promoting this hate group since his campaign, back when the website linked was Gods2.com. Now both that and the BlacksforTrump2020 redirect to the same insane rantings. There's years of insane ranting videos by that guy Michael Whateverhegoesbynow.

I want to know what people make of that website.
He calls himself Michael the Black Man.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
He calls himself Michael the Black Man.
Yeah I was just reading an article about him from back in 2011.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ya...s-back-6381303
Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

You know who else had really big rallies?