Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Jokes on you, manson!

I don't have a job!
Advertisements  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Do I? Please point out a study that says memory functions exactly the same for every single human being on the planet.
True, not every single one of the 7 x 10 to 9th humans on this world has been tested.

True, among 7 x 10 to 9th humans, it's possible that you are one exception. It's also possible that there is one human being on the planet who can hear infrasound (like a dog) or see infrared (like a bee).

But scientists have done enough tests to state that normal human vision works with cones and rods and doesn't include infrared.
Scientists have tested enough humans to state that normal human hearing works with small bones, a drum, and tiny hairs, and goes from x hertz to y hertz, but not to infrasound.

And, scientists have done enough tests to state that the average human can keep 8 things in his mind at the same time. There is some variance there: some people have mental problems, some have chemical imbalances, some suffer from dementia. Some have just bad memory in general, so they might not get up to 8, only to 5. Others might have exceptional good memory, and go up to 10.* It still doesn't change that once the stack is full, something overflows without regard to importance.

* the people who go on TV or Las Vegas shows by remembering 20 things or 30 digits of pi use special mnemoic tricks. That is not the same situation as trying to juggle different things while under stress, and one fact gets misfiled - instead of "I need to drop the baby off at place Y because change in plans" the brain remembers "I have dropped my baby off at usual place X" and checks of a task as done.

One experiment used computer avatars moving around in a room, vs crossing from one room into the next. (Again, a psychological test is a lot less stressful than real-life driving plus sleep-deprivation plus other factors). And it turns out, the human brain is predisposed to think of a task as finished once you leave the room, even if you aren't done.
Hence the typical joke of "Why did I go from the living room into the kitchen -what did I want?" It's not just old age, that just makes it harder to concentrate.

Quote:
A reporter's opinion doesn't count.
The reporter wasn't giving his opinion, he did this thing that's called "proper/ investigative reporting" where he asked experts. If you don't like his experts, you can read standard textbooks on neurology, or look at any of the many experiments on memory that have been done in the past decades.

Last edited by constanze; 05-09-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thank God. I'm tired of parsing through your nonsensical, blame everyone but the parents, idiotic attitude.
Well argued. You sure rebutted the scientific claims in play here. Your children must be proud.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
And that's why you should stay away from children and all other living things (and never be allowed to make rules for anything).

We used to call people with lack of empathy sociopaths and psychopaths, because we thought that 1% of the population had some damaged wiring in the frontal cortex where in normal humans empathy is located
This seems strange. As I do have sympathy and the ability to know right from wrong. And not to do things that are wrong. Not sure what is sociopathic or psychopathic about that.

Perhaps your need to call people sociopaths is a manifestation of your own pathological issues, maybe having to do with your parents treating you bad? You should go get that checked out.

Quote:
If you have no patience, you should not be near children or living things
That's clearly not what I said. If you have no qualms about stating blatant falsehoods, then you should not be near children or living things. I suggest you move to a cave somewhere to save the rest of humanity from your idiotic ramblings.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Jokes on you, manson!

I don't have a job!
Dammit! *shakes fist
Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Action View Post
That's all I have to say on the matter
And later:

Quote:
Well argued. You sure rebutted the scientific claims in play here. Your children must be proud.
You are not only an idiot, but also a liar. YOUR children must be proud. Assuming you didn't leave them in a car someplace to die (It could happen you know!)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
And, scientists have done enough tests to state that the average human can keep 8 things in his mind at the same time
Well, lucky for me, 2 of those 8 things are my children. And they never move out of the top spots. Your 8 things might be clogged with any number of idiotic things thereby forcing the location of your children out of your mind. Mine doesn't.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
And later:

You are not only an idiot, but also a liar. YOUR children must be proud. Assuming you didn't leave them in a car someplace to die (It could happen you know!)
Oh, I'm done talking about the issue; the facts are clear to anyone who cares to read them, and doesn't dismiss science that disagrees with their gut feelings.

That doesn't preclude taking shots at your arrogance, vapidity, and general classlessness, though. You're a poster child for the science-hating, smug assholes that keep America mediocre.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
That doesn't preclude taking shots at your arrogance, vapidity, and general classlessness, though. You're a poster child for the science-hating, smug assholes that keep America mediocre.
Awww, I think you really like me!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Well that expert sounds like an expert witness, hired by a lawyer who is zealously defending a client.

I am familiar with the phenomenon of the adrenalized brain going into lizard-brain mode. I can believe that, if faced with a sudden thunderstorm while hiking out in the open, I might forget what I know about assuming the position to avoid lightning strike* and instead run screaming toward the nearest tall tree. But if I thought there was any chance, even the remotest, that I would LEAVE MY CHILDREN TO ROAST IN A CAR, I would never have even put them in a car.

There is also plenty of evidence that certain things that happen to you in life change your brain, or at least change the way it functions. I was just reading something about London cabdrivers, who have more connections in their brains than regular shlubs. I think becoming a parent changed my brain. For instance, I used to be a heavy sleeper, you know, like a log. If there were things filtering through my brain, and if I periodically woke up, I didn't notice. I would set three alarm clocks and sometimes I'd sleep through all of them. I slept through the guy next door shooting himself in the thigh when he was after what he thought was a prowler, and the ensuing ambulances and cops and flashing lights. Then I had a baby, and suddenly I would wake up if the baby so much as sniffled. Then the babies grew up and now I sleep like a log again.

*As low as you can get, on the balls of your feet, with your hands a couple of inches above your head with fingers interlaced. If you can remember this while the lightning is striking around you and your hair is standing up.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Am I the only one who pictures Manson1972 as a pigeon who just shat on a chess board, and is now strutting around the place like he won the game?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Dammit! *shakes fist
I'd shake mine back at ya, but I forgot where I left it.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Am I the only one who pictures Manson1972 as a pigeon who just shat on a chess board, and is now strutting around the place like he won the game?
I'm also picturing that, so I guess that makes two of us!