Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
As a straight, white male, I'm almost certain to gain from this experiment, but I wanna know by how much!!
I have a few Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) neighbors who might beg to differ...
Old 07-16-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidfood View Post
But a slogan is not about the underlying policy. Now, I'm a wonk, and I read the wonky details of Hillary's platform and found all the detail I wanted and plans that were practical and would work, and was horrified at the lack of any practical policy thought from Trump.

But when I listened to her speeches (several in full), the parts that were sound-bites and memorable were either (1) all the attacks, or (2) tied to her person not her policies ("I'm with her"). I actually found myself begging with the screen "Please Hillary! Say something emotionally positive and catchy about the voters' problems, just this once!" A slogan is heart, not brains. You know, the hopey-changy stuff.

This is exactly what I was referring to as well.

Way back when the 2016 election process began, I looked at what came to be called the Clown Car of Republican hopefuls, versus the Almost No One Wants To Run field of Democrats, I expected the race to end up being Hillary versus Bush III, or maybe Hillary versus Cruz. As Trump gradually took the lead, and the majority of the "clowns" dropped out, I saw that the Republican Party leadership was clearly out of touch with the base that they had purposely built, because they expected people who had been trained to be paranoid and knee-jerk, to vote WITHIN the party as though they were doctrinaire instead.

Trump was such a buffoon the entire time, I at first thought that Hillary would win going away, but then I began to notice how incredibly bad Hilary's speaking performances were. Her nomination acceptance speech was aimless and vague, with her assumed "cheering" pauses all in the wrong places. I gradually stopped laughing at the "Trump is running to Help Hillary" joke, and started to seriously suspect that it would turn out to have been the other way around all along, by accident.

And something does need to be noticed, about this whole subject: Trump's MAGA slogan was NOT as hell for leather successful as some think it was. After all, he barely squeaked in, he didn't roll to easy victory, and many still recognize that he lost the popular vote.

Sound bites have to be understood in CONTEXT. Trump had an entire campaign promotional platform, designed to mesh with and illuminate HIS biggest Bite. If the Democrats are going to do well in the future, they need to do the same thing, and not JUST try to invent kicky sounding cleverness.

The Republicans (I'm talking about the real leadership, and the bulk of the most powerful followers, not Trump's portion) never had an actual plan to do anything for America as a nation. That's clear from the fact that they have produced zero meaningful legislation since gaining nominal control of all three major portions of the government at the same time.

The Democrats got Obama in, in large part because of that being the case for the last TWENTY years. The Democrats need to learn from all that, and start by formulating an activist platform first, and THEN come up with the soundbites to drive it over the airwaves.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I have a few Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) neighbors who might beg to differ...
Make America Great Again-- get those goddam Winnebagos off the roads! [I was stuck behind one of them yesterday along the coast as the driver was going, no exaggeration, 5 MPH]

Oh, wait. You men THOSE Winnebagos. Never mind.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-16-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 PM

"Truth, Justice and the American Way".
Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Hindsight is 2020

Thread winner!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM
2016 Election-from-Heck RnnrUp

As one of our resident conservatives, you'll probably want to take my advice with a grain of salt, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's not PC but the Democrats, like it or not, need more testosterone. They can be white male macho and yet still balance that with respect for minorities, LGBT, and feminism -- those can coexist. They can also be friendly to business while simultaneously being friendly to the middle and lower classes.
I thought something like this video from John Cena struck the right tone. It's patriotic, and optimistic, and yet speaks for values that are important to Democrats.

Also, I thought "justice for all" was awesome.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
It's patriotic, and optimistic, and yet speaks for values that are important to Democrats.
"Yet" ? Please expound on that point.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I think it's pretty clear that he thinks those are values Democrats oppose.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Seems odd that Democrats are not associated with optimism, considering one candidate for president (not a Democrat) spent the whole campaign saying how it was all gloom and doom, the jobless rate was "really" 40%, healthcare was a disaster, etc.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
There is a perception among many folks - not entirely without merit - that Democrats are unpatriotic, or, at least, not as patriotic as Republicans.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
"Truth, Justice and the American Way".
I don't know if you're joking but I think it's a winner. I'd punch it up a little:

TRUTH.
JUSTICE.
AMERICA.
(Try imagining it on a black background, can't fill it here.)

It's better without connectors. "Truth, Justice and the American Way" or "Truth and Justice for Americans" are more fluid. But the impact is greater if it's simple stops after each word. Imagine a crowd shouting it.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM

"Tomorrow Belongs To Me"?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Seems odd that Democrats are not associated with optimism, considering one candidate for president (not a Democrat) spent the whole campaign saying how it was all gloom and doom, the jobless rate was "really" 40%, healthcare was a disaster, etc.
Would you describe their words and actions over the last six months as generally optimistic, or something closer to the opposite?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you describe their words and actions over the last six months as generally optimistic, or something closer to the opposite?
The word that comes to mind is "delusional".
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Why, yes! Gotta look at it the right way! Sure, the glass is half-full of warm pee, but the other half is empty!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I thought something like this video from John Cena struck the right tone. It's patriotic, and optimistic, and yet speaks for values that are important to Democrats.
...And Republicans too, right?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
...And Republicans too, right?
Yeah, I think many / most Republicans are on board with the idea that we should be nice to handicapped people and gays. If you had to pick a party that emphasizes that particular message, I suspect we'd agree it's something more at the forefront of the minds of Democrats than Republicans, right?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think many / most Republicans are on board with the idea that we should be nice to handicapped people and gays. If you had to pick a party that emphasizes that particular message, I suspect we'd agree it's something more at the forefront of the minds of Democrats than Republicans, right?
Strictly from a legislative perspective, that appears to be the case. But I don't know why that should be. Surely Republicans have the same exposure on a daily basis to handicapped people, minorities, gays, etc.

Why the difference between the two?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Strictly from a legislative perspective, that appears to be the case. But I don't know why that should be. Surely Republicans have the same exposure on a daily basis to handicapped people, minorities, gays, etc.

Different priorities?

There are lots of issues like this. For example:

Surely Democrats have the same exposure on a daily basis to members of our military, but they generally don't seem as enthused about giving them the resources they need to do their jobs properly. Why the difference?

Surely Democrats have the same exposure on a daily basis to small business owners, but they generally don't seem as enthused about rolling back regulations that hamper small businesses. Why the difference?

Etc.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The word that comes to mind is "delusional".
You think Democrats have been "delusional" for the last six months? OK.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Different priorities?

Surely Democrats have the same exposure on a daily basis to members of our military, but they generally don't seem as enthused about giving them the resources they need to do their jobs properly. Why the difference?

Surely Democrats have the same exposure on a daily basis to small business owners, but they generally don't seem as enthused about rolling back regulations that hamper small businesses. Why the difference?

Etc.
You're right. It's a question of different priorities.

Republicans seem to feel the wealthiest among us are in desperate need of tax relief. Democrats seem to think the money would be better spent on Medicaid.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
There is a perception among many folks - not entirely without merit - that Democrats are unpatriotic, or, at least, not as patriotic as Republicans.
Not entirely without merit? Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I think it's pretty clear that he thinks those are values Democrats oppose.
Let him say it out loud, then.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 07-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Those are the same 'many folks' who say that Lynch approved Veselnitskaya's visa and that Obama isn't really an American citizen. But just wait until the investigators get back from Hawaii!

Still waiting...

and waiting...

and...

Patriotic, to Republicans, appears to be 'willing to roll over to our demands.'
Old 07-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think my use of "yet" is really worth the level of analysis you put into it, but since you seem enthusiastic about it, here you go:
Let me add anecdotal data to that. (Of course, I'm not a liberal, but that's beside the point.)

I'm fucking ashamed that I live in a country that's collectively stupid enough to elevate an ignorant crumb and criminal to the highest office in the land, if not the world. (Until Nov. 8, I would've said unequivocally that it was the highest office in the world. Now it's more likely German Chancellor, or to the cynical, Russian President.)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
(Until Nov. 8, I would've said unequivocally that it was the highest office in the world. Now it's more likely German Chancellor, or to the cynical, Russian President.)
LOL. That sounds like it'd be good fodder for a hilarious joke thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Of course, I'm not a liberal, but that's beside the point.
I'm curious, what political / idealogical affiliation, if any, do you self-identify with?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Etc.
These are bullshit characterizations. Both parties want to give resources to the military necessary for them to do their jobs, and want to roll back harmful and useless regulations; they just disagree on what resources are necessary to do the job of the military, and which regulations are harmful and useless.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
These are bullshit characterizations. Both parties want to give resources to the military necessary for them to do their jobs, and want to roll back harmful and useless regulations; they just disagree on what resources are necessary to do the job of the military, and which regulations are harmful and useless.
I didn't want to start a big debate about military spending or pro- vs anti-business positions of the respective parties. I picked two common stereotypes to make a quick point. If you can't see that generally, Republicans are more eager to fund the military and at higher levels than Democrats, and generally, Republicans are more eager to roll back regulations on businesses than Democrats, then I don't want to argue about it with you today. Your point about "disagree on what resources are necessary to do the job of the military, and which regulations are harmful and useless" is a valid one, and certainly adds some nuance and depth to those short-hand descriptions of the respective parties' positions. Can we leave it at that, at least for this thread?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, what political / idealogical affiliation, if any, do you self-identify with?
I defy classification. I'm a registered Democrat who agrees with some views of conservatives, more with liberals, and even more with (little 'l') libertarians. Of course, there are areas of overlap, primarily between the latter two. I'm an independent in the true sense of the word.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I defy classification. I'm a registered Democrat who agrees with some views of conservatives, more with liberals, and even more with (little 'l') libertarians. Of course, there are areas of overlap, primarily between the latter two. I'm an independent in the true sense of the word.
Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't want to start a big debate about military spending or pro- vs anti-business positions of the respective parties. I picked two common stereotypes to make a quick point. If you can't see that generally, Republicans are more eager to fund the military and at higher levels than Democrats, and generally, Republicans are more eager to roll back regulations on businesses than Democrats, then I don't want to argue about it with you today. Your point about "disagree on what resources are necessary to do the job of the military, and which regulations are harmful and useless" is a valid one, and certainly adds some nuance and depth to those short-hand descriptions of the respective parties' positions. Can we leave it at that, at least for this thread?
The point you say is valid is my only point. If you didn't want this kind of push back, you shouldn't characterize policy positions in such an obviously partisan (and false, for the side you disagree with) manner.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 07-17-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Has anyone suggested "2020 VISION" as a slogan? I really like it.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 PM

I want to come back to this, if you don't mind, H-D:

Quote:
I asked if Republicans shouldn't be in equal agreement with the sentiments expressed in the 4 minute video, and we had this exchange:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Different priorities?

Etc.
In that particular video, nothing is said about military spending or small business tax policies. All it talks about is the diversity of America as a nation and getting people to realize that America is much more diverse than most people realize. Thus, celebrating that diversity is patriotic.

But what you got out of my question about what Republicans could possibly disagree with in the message you brought up military spending and small business taxes.

So I'm wondering why you thought those issues were relevant in this context. So I ask again, why shouldn't Democrats and Republicans agree with the premise of that video specifically? What makes the sentiments expressed in the video more appealing to Democrats than Republicans?

Last edited by QuickSilver; 07-17-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think my use of "yet" is really worth the level of analysis you put into it, but since you seem enthusiastic about it, here you go:
So you're equating patriotism with jingoism. That's pretty much what I thought.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Which makes me wonder, what would be the Democrats' version of MAGA?
FTFY
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Has anyone suggested "2020 VISION" as a slogan? I really like it.
Not bad, but it doesn't seem to hit the inspirational button enough.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
FTFY
I loved that Bill Maher segment.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Peacey McPeaceface!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
So you're equating patriotism with jingoism. That's pretty much what I thought.
I'm not equating patriotism with anything. Let's just focus on the last sentence in the cite:

Quote:
According to Gallup, 52 percent of Republicans and 48 percent of conservatives called themselves extremely patriotic; only 20 percent of Democrats and 19 percent of liberals did.
They "called themselves" extremely patriotic. I'm not trying to foist my definition of patriotism on Democrats (or anyone else) here. They defined it however they liked in their own mind, and then decided if their own definition applied to them or not. Only 20 percent decided it did, as opposed to 52 percent of Republicans. Given that fact, do you think it's fair to say that Democrats are less "patriotic" than Republicans? I do, because they told us they were.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The point you say is valid is my only point. If you didn't want this kind of push back, you shouldn't characterize policy positions in such an obviously partisan (and false, for the side you disagree with) manner.
I don't mind pushback, but this thread didn't seem like the appropriate place for it. If you want to debate which party is more pro-military or pro-business, we can do it, but let's just do it in another thread. I didn't want to derail what I thought was a pretty cool thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I want to come back to this, if you don't mind, H-D:

So I'm wondering why you thought those issues were relevant in this context. So I ask again, why shouldn't Democrats and Republicans agree with the premise of that video specifically? What makes the sentiments expressed in the video more appealing to Democrats than Republicans?
My non-relevant examples were an attempt to point out how parties can agree on something, and yet have differing degrees of enthusiasm. In hindsight, I probably should have picked less politically-touchy topics. Let me try again:

I might agree with someone that strawberry ice cream is quite delicious, but what I'm really enthusiastic about is a big bowl of chocolate ice cream. It doesn't mean that strawberry is bad, or that I disagree that it's good. It's just that I get more excited by a bowl of chocolate, and others may get more excited about a bowl of strawberry, and that's ok.

Like I said, I think many / most Republicans (and Democrats) agree with the sentiment in the Cena video. It wouldn't surprise me if Democrats were more ... enthusiastic about that message than Republicans. As for what makes the sentiments expressed more appealing to Democrats than Republicans (and I'd express it as varying levels of enthusiasm than degrees of appeal), my answer before was differing priorities. I still think it's a pretty accurate answer.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 07-17-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I think many / most Republicans (and Democrats) agree with the sentiment in the Cena video. It wouldn't surprise me if Democrats were more ... enthusiastic about that message than Republicans. As for what makes the sentiments expressed more appealing to Democrats than Republicans (and I'd express it as varying levels of enthusiasm than degrees of appeal), my answer before was differing priorities. I still think it's a pretty accurate answer.
I have a feeling it had to do with words like gay, bi, trans, and lesbian, and the message of inclusiveness.

I tried Cena's little thought experiment, and he was right. Of course I should've thought to picture the average American as a woman, but I didn't.

Btw, I liked the video a lot.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I don't mind pushback, but this thread didn't seem like the appropriate place for it. If you want to debate which party is more pro-military or pro-business, we can do it, but let's just do it in another thread. I didn't want to derail what I thought was a pretty cool thread.
If you don't want to derail it, don't characterize the positions of Democrats in false and hyper partisan language.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM

2020 We are awaited in Valhalla! Witness us!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
My non-relevant examples were an attempt to point out how parties can agree on something, and yet have differing degrees of enthusiasm. In hindsight, I probably should have picked less politically-touchy topics. Let me try again:

I might agree with someone that strawberry ice cream is quite delicious, but what I'm really enthusiastic about is a big bowl of chocolate ice cream. It doesn't mean that strawberry is bad, or that I disagree that it's good. It's just that I get more excited by a bowl of chocolate, and others may get more excited about a bowl of strawberry, and that's ok.

The thing is, diversity in America should not be a "politically-touchy topic". Diversity in society is an unavoidable fact and should be politically agnostic. But it isn't, is it? One party clearly prefers to avoid the subject while the other tends to embrace it.

What is it about this subject that makes it more touchy for the Republican side of the political spectrum?

Or, in terms of ice cream analogies, preference for chocolate is not the same thing as sensitivity to strawberry. Would you agree?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The thing is, diversity in America should not be a "politically-touchy topic". Diversity in society is an unavoidable fact and should be politically agnostic. But it isn't, is it? One party clearly prefers to avoid the subject while the other tends to embrace it.

What is it about this subject that makes it more touchy for the Republican side of the political spectrum?

Or, in terms of ice cream analogies, preference for chocolate is not the same thing as sensitivity to strawberry. Would you agree?
One party has a plan of using diversity as a way of smashing their political opponents. That's just one reason the subject is not politically "agnostic".
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
One party has a plan of using diversity as a way of smashing their political opponents. That's just one reason the subject is not politically "agnostic".
Do you mean to suggest that Democrats are using diversity as a cudgel with which to beat the Republicans? If so, wouldn't it be a trivial (and politically effective) matter for the Republicans to disarm the Democrats by readily embracing the reality of social diversity?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
If this analogy is moving in the direction of Neapolitan, well, that's just plain wrong.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Do you mean to suggest that Democrats are using diversity as a cudgel with which to beat the Republicans? If so, wouldn't it be a trivial (and politically effective) matter for the Republicans to disarm the Democrats by readily embracing the reality of social diversity?
How the heck would do I know what was best for Republicans on this matter? That's what super-intelligent political eggheads are well paid for, and even these super-intelligent political eggheads get it wrong as much as they get it correct. The success of Trump this election suggests Trump's policy is just about right at this moment in time. However, my main point was simply that there are plenty of reasons why agnosticism shouldn't be the natural attitude to diversity. The fact that neither Repubs or Dems(both staffed with far more intelligent political operators than you or I) are agnostic in regards to diversity strongly suggests the natural political attitude to diversity is not an agnostic one.