View Poll Results: Do you eat pancakes together or one at a time?
Together 91 73.98%
One at a time 18 14.63%
Depends on the pancakes 9 7.32%
Waffles are superior/I refuse your pancakes 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Do you eat pancakes together or one at a time?

You're served a perfect three stack of fluffy, golden brown, buttered pancakes. Maybe you ordered them, maybe you didn't, but you're hungry and they're in front of you.

Following application of syrup or however you like your them finished, how do you eat them: do you pull off one pancake at a time, or do you eat them together, as if the three pancakes were a single item?

Note this is not about what is the "proper" way to eat them, if there is such a thing, but your personal preference.
Advertisements  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Together. It's the only way to eat a stack. That's why they're stacked.

If you mock my stack, I'll give you a smack.
Stack
Stack
Stack.
I just like saying "stack".
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

If I were home alone and feeling extremely lazy, I might eat them without cutting them first, and that would involve picking up the pancakes one at a time and shoveling them into my mouth.

But under normal circumstances they would remain stacked as I cut them.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
BANNED

I don't eat 'em. TOO many carbs!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

One at a time. Usually, I make one, eat it, make one, serve it, make one, eat it, then, eat the next one someone made, then make one and serve it, etc, until the batter is finished. What I'm saying is I don't build stacks.

I get the premise of the question, someone (the average diner cook, Denny's, IHOP, someone with a wide griddle) has made me a stack. Still, I butter, syrup, add preserves, ice cream to each one and eat it individually. Because I'm unaccustomed to a stack.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM

All together now.

With a piece of sausage speared last to hold them together.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Together, and with gobs and gobs of butter, but no syrup. Which is why I only have pancakes a few times a year. I absolutely love them, but no bueno for healthy eating!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Stack 'em and slice 'em like cake or pizza. Except not as geometrically pleasing to the eye. Plenty of butter and maple syrup (the real kind, thank you VERY much) or brown sugar.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

One at a time. They're stacked to fit them all onto the plate, not to eat them that way.
Join today!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM

I leave them stacked but I don't necessarily cut through all of them each time, I guess because I only use a fork and the result is they don't get severed evenly. Also, if they come out with butter on them, they're either going back or my dining partner is having themselves a pancake. Sin mantequilla!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Those of you who eat them one at a time - do you have a separate eating-plate? Or are you adept enough to cut thru a single pancake at a time?

Me, I make sure there's butter and syrup between the layers, and eat 'em stacked. Altho I don't have pancakes that often - too much sugar in the morning gives me headaches.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM

All together. Of course.

Seeing other people eating them one at a time is how you know they are shape-shifting lizards.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM

Together (stacked), with a layer of syrup applied to the top of each one, sans butter. My preference is grainy pancakes (buckwheat or whole wheat), and sour-dough pancakes, and pure maple syrup (if I can afford it) or apple syrup (in smaller doses as it can over-sweeten). And, coffee. Yep, I like em, but tru that they are not the healthiest things. Must be stacked, tho.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Seeing other people eating them one at a time is how you know they are shape-shifting lizards.
And the use of artificially flavored syrup is how you know they are evil shape-shifting lizards.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM

I leave them stacked. I cut a wedge the full depth of the stack.

And then I eat one wedge of one pancake at a time, not the full depth, because I'm not a pig, and my mouth is not some ravenous cavernous pit.

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM

Before reading this thread, I had no idea that anyone would unstack the stack to eat the cakes individually. You learn something new everyday!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Stack, butter on each, just enough (real maple, preferably) syrup on only the top to get some in each bite.

The syrup must not be enough to reach the plate (this is very important!), or I will freak out.

I prefer my pancakes on the thin side, but my wife likes fat, fluffy pancakes, with enough syrup to drown in.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Husband does one at a time with gobs of syrup

Stacks for me with egg in between

Neither of us do butter but I've had it that way at restaurants, those were good!! I dont try to eat new "good things" because I dont want to get addicted. Like sour cream on potatoes...cant start that but that is an example of trying new things that taste good!

Never heard of putting syrup between layers but that sure would help if the syrup is warm.

Usually always Log Cabin Syrup, we found one with no high fructose sugar. Rather have real maple syrup but too expensive and not thick enough for "him"

Basically the only food I mix together aside from mashed potatoes and peas. (Other than toppings on food) Very picky!

Last edited by WildBlueYonder; 10-12-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm buggy about eating foods one at a time, but i consider a stack of pancakes one food. I eat them in a stack, with butter and syrup.

Though if they have any other food as a topping (i.e. whipped cream or fruit), I save the topping and then eat it separate.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
I leave them stacked. I cut a wedge the full depth of the stack.

And then I eat one wedge of one pancake at a time, not the full depth, because I'm not a pig, and my mouth is not some ravenous cavernous pit.
Agreed. 3 pancakes, 6 evenly-sized wedges, but only 1-2 pancake wedges per bite.

krondys, I, too, like them on the thinner side, slightly thicker than a crepe.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Together. It's the only way to eat a stack. That's why they're stacked.

If you mock my stack, I'll give you a smack.
Stack
Stack
Stack.
I just like saying "stack".
One of my favorite comics!

To the OP, I cut 'em all up together and eat `em like a salad. You didn't ask but i save the syrup until the second half. The first half is just `cakes and butter... yum!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Stacked dollar size, please. OR if you make a Mickey Mouse pancake it's one at a time.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM

If it was four, I would say two at a time. Any more than that at once, and you don't get enough syrup on them.

With three, it would depend on the size. Most likely, eat a coupe of pieces of the top two, then eat the two pieces of the bottom that are left over together.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

One at a time, and I'm a butter only type of guy. I liked syrup when I was a kid, but, unless I'm in Vermont, I'll eat them with only butter these days. It helps save a few calories.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I most likely won't eat three...one to one and half is more my style.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

The stack is the natural unit of pancakes, and so I serve them stacked, cut them stacked, and eat them stacked.

At least, for American pancakes. Things are different if we're talking blini or crepes, which are naturally rolled with some sort of filling.

Oh, and butter and syrup. Real maple syrup is of course optimal, if available, but it's way too expensive to eat all the time, and so I usually have to settle for the artificially-flavored stuff. And lite, low-sugar, or low-carb syrup is, of course, an abomination unto Nuggan.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM

your classic british pancake is somewhere between an american one and a crepe. The best way to eat it is as the kitchen counter. Cook it, flip in onto your plate, get the next one in the pan, then quickly pop sugar, syrup and lemon juice on the cooked pancake, roll it up, slice across and eat. stop after half of it has gone, flip the pancake in the pan, eat the rest.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had them in years (perhaps even decades) but always ate them stacked. And also with lots of syrup, because I found dry pancakes hard to swallow.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

If you are a Costco member or know one, their real maple syrup(Canada) is (more or less) $11 for a liter.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
All together. Of course.
Of course.

I eat them stacked. I'll lift the edge of each one to put butter and syrup in between them, though. Well, not real butter and syrup. Vegetable oil spread and sugar free syrup. I like to eat healthy, you know.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If you are a Costco member or know one, their real maple syrup(Canada) is (more or less) $11 for a liter.
When I was a kid, all we ever had was the fake stuff (Log Cabin, Mrs Butterworth, etc) so when I was an adult and buying my own groceries, I bought real maple syrup once. I was surprised to find I didn't like it as much, I think just because I was used to the fake stuff.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 10-12-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM

I never liked stacked because the bottom cakes get very little syrup (or, the top one gets way too much). Also depending on the thickness/heaviness of the cakes eating a bite of the full stack can be impractical (can't get a bite small enough.)

If they are served stacked (e.g., at a diner) I cut and eat them one at a time while stacked, reapplying butter/syrup as needed for each. If I am serving myself, I would only take one at a time.

Last edited by awldune; 10-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM

When I am at home I eat them one at a time. If I order a stack at a restaurant I leave them stacked.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Apart. A wedge of three pancakes is too big of a serving size to put in my mouth all at once.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Together. And I'll put the over easy eggs on top of them and then slice 'em all up.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM

I leave them stacked at the restaurant. Cut off a bite from the stack.

My favorite is silver dollar pancakes. I wish more restaurants offered them.

I make them at home.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-12-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:33 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Before reading this thread, I had no idea that anyone would unstack the stack to eat the cakes individually. You learn something new everyday!
QFT. My mind may be considered blown.

Some of you peoples is weird!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I haven’t eaten pancakes in forty years. But I remember the proper procedure is to lift them up and spread butter on each layer, to pour (real) maple syrup over the top, and to cut into small wedges of the layers to eat. Ugh — no eggs or sausages should intrude. The division between the sweet and the savory breakfast is inviolable.

What sort of ANIMAL eats his pancakes individually?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Stacked, butter and syrup between and on top.

Or if there is real honey, like honey bought from a bee keeper friend, it's butter on top and between and honey on top.

Also good as pigs in blankets. Pancake wrapped around sausage link, ketchup on top.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 PM

actually for me most of the time my pancakes come cut up so I just dump what ever I want on em scrambled eggs style
Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 PM

I eat one perfectly formed Mickey Mouse pancake. That is all.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:35 PM

I like to roll them up like a crepe (no matter how thick they are), hold at one end, and fill the inside with syrup.
Enjoy.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Rarely eat pancakes (once a year or so?) but I like them either one at a time with brown sugar and sour cream, or wrapped around a sausage. I admit to liking those pancake/sausage on a stick things...a lot...dipped in mustard, so I haven't bought any in a few years. I could eat a whole box of them.

I do treat myself to a sausage egg cheese McGriddle if we go on a road trip. Disgustingly good. But I just don't do stacks of pancakes. Make them for my family every so often, but I usually just have one with the brown sugar and sour cream, or sausage. I hate syrup as a rule. The smell makes me nauseated.

Last edited by Elemenopy; 10-12-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Cut through the stack and eat together. Though sometimes I"ll roll one up and/or make a pig in a blanket or something. I might eat pancakes once a year.