Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Also, I'm not a conservative at all. I'm a libertarian if that's of any relevance. I think Both parties suck. So you can make assumptions about me without knowing my character. Nice, now you're contradicting yourselves. I'm done with this eyewash. Feel free to bash me more, because I won't see it, and I know thats how your seething snake-oil salesmen are.
Advertisements  
Old 12-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaswat
Feel free to bash me more, because I won't see it, and I know thats how your seething snake-oil salesmen are.
.....blind?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
...you Liberal Scumbags...

...You psycho liberal nuts....
Moderator's Warning: Bdaswat, the rules for the Great Debates forum do not permit personal insults against other posters. The statements quoted above definitely violate this rule, several other portions of your posts probably do or come right up against breaking that rule, and the entire post is more of a "rant" or "flame".

The rules against personal insults and "flame" attacks apply in Great Debates and all the forums on this board outside of our BBQ Pit. If you feel you absolutely must flame or attack another poster, you must open a thread in the Pit to do so, not post the attack here.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Again "What Exit" why don't you respond to anything I said instead of commenting on my "level of maturity" (see that's another typical liberal tactic, discredit me so you don't have to respond to the truth)

Water boarding is simply the "bandwagon" story of the year. If you are en enemy of this country and have information that could potentially save the lives of the TRULY innocent (even if it's 1 person), I don't care what they do to the guy.
But I did respond in addition to commenting on your second post.

As to the Water Boarding, I am a Republican, Reagan supporting & I served in Reagan's Navy moderate* that thinks the USA needs to maintain the moral high ground while using our military force where needed to make the world safer and a better place. This particular war in Iraq had nothing to do with our security, though if it had been handled better, perhaps we would have at least made the world a better place.

Back to Water Boarding; it is torture and the USA is not suppose to use torture. It is wrong and violates that for which our country stands. There is no excuse for executive level support of this torture. None at all.

Once you sink to the level of your enemies, are you any better?

Jim

* I would even make an attempt to defend an opinion that Nixon was a damn good President despite being morally corrupt and a vicious pit bull.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Water boarding is simply the "bandwagon" story of the year. If you are en enemy of this country and have information that could potentially save the lives of the TRULY innocent (even if it's 1 person), I don't care what they do to the guy.
Seriously, what is your point? Are you trying to say that waterboarding isn't as bad as anyone says, but it does make terrorists give up secrets?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is wrong with you people? This just proves your libs that flood the internet with Liberal propaganda are truly cave dwellers truly disconnected with the outside world. Clearly my statement about $100,000 was a figure of speech, not a real offer firstly.

Again "What Exit" why don't you respond to anything I said instead of commenting on my "level of maturity" (see that's another typical liberal tactic, discredit me so you don't have to respond to the truth)

Saying that I need to "know" the OP and have a relationship or whatever to "understand and comment" on the issue is absurd. I don't need to know anything about the guy to comment on the believability of his story.

Then why would you care if waterboarding were indeed as horrible as described in the OP?

No one thinks that you need to know the history of the board to comment on things; we're just saying that you've made some assumptions that are counter to reality. I'm not trying to smear you. I'm just trying to enlighten you.

And in that vein, another Scylla post:

And here we have an entire thread discussing the White House and its stance on torture. Friend Scylla joins the discussion on page 2. I see that I erred slightly in my recollection of his past stance on torture - he had believed waterboarding was torture, but he did defend Bush et al with regards to torture at some length.

And just for fun, The horror of Blimps.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Dnftt/s.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Dialect
Dnftt/s.
Moderator's Warning: Hostile Dialect, accusations of trolling belong in the Pit, not in Great Debates.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Scylla, your post is seriously one of the most freaked up things I've ever read on the Dope. I'm all for fighting ignorance and everything... but yeesh. I didn't really have a problem before accepting waterboarding as a horrible and inhumane practice, but the OP really just cements it into my mind in an unforgettable way. I am really glad you are still alive to tell the tale. Please be safe in the future!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
...* I would even make an attempt to defend an opinion that Nixon was a damn good President despite being morally corrupt and a vicious pit bull. [/SIZE]
"That aside, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator
"That aside, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM

This thread disturbed me enough I had to register a guest account to reply. Talk about "don't try this at home"!

My question, Scylla, is this: If you were a captive of people who were going to waterboard you unless you "talked", I presume you'd do just about anything to prevent that from happening again? I mean, you mentioned selling your children, so I have to think you'd "talk". Would your "talk" necessarily have ANYTHING to do with facts, or would you just be saying whatever you calculated to be most likely to prevent more waterboarding?

Thanks for the very vivid depiction of the experience. I've been under the misunderstanding that the impact of waterboarding is mostly psychological--like people are being threatened with ACTUAL drowning and don't know it's set up to be "safe" for them. I get it, though. This practice triggers reflexive panic at a completely non-intellectual level, and a victim would do anything to stop it.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 PM

This has hit Metafilter.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Not that I expect bdaswat to reply, but Syclla's statements in reference to Liberal were friendly digs at another poster on this board.

Last year I read some posts on a Zombie themed board I read, wherein a member broke his teeth biting a raw roast through denim jeans.

Scylla, you don't know me from adam, but you win, and you get another notch of my respect. OUTSTANDING efforts to combat ignorance, going above and beyond. Well done.

ps- Don't do it again. Sheesh.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yea... Attack me instead of attacking the issue at hand.

Typical.

PS if that guy's a conservative, I must be a fascist.
The issue at hand is one poster that took it upon himself to see what the true effects of waterboarding really are, and to see if the conclusion can be made that it is torture. Because if you listen to the media, on one hand it is extreme torture. And on the other, it's a theme park ride that isn't harmful and is fun for kids. The OP wanted to know the truth first hand. That's it, end of story.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 AM

Just to be clear here, so there's no chance of a misunderstanding. There is no question, none whatsoever, that massive electric shock to the testicles is torturous and hugely painful. Affidavits as long as your arm. Massive amounts of corroboration, expert testimony, anectdotal evidence. The question has been entirely resolved. No doubt about it. None.

Last edited by elucidator; 12-23-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM

When I was ten, I went sailing with my older brother. We tipped. He told me to swim to the end of the mast and swim it into the wind, so we could right it easier. My life jacket got caught on the mast as the boat began to turtle (to turtle means the boat is upside down, mast pointing down). The more we turtled, the more I slid up the mast, and the more I became stuck. The tension on the life jacket's straps and the fact that it was the seventies, and big metal clips were how life jackets were held together combined to make it so my little ten year old hands had no chance to free myself.

I wasn't just drowning. I was ten, and I knew I was dying. I had hit that magic point, and my body was involuntarily convulsing. I had lost all control.

Then my brother managed to right the boat enough that I caught a breath. He yelled at me for not pointing the mast in the right direction. He yelled at me to get over to the dagger board and help. I was worthless. I was shaking, and when he did right the boat, he had to drag me onto it. I was ten, and I'm pretty sure with hindsight that I was having a nervous breakdown. I had been broken.

That was around thirty years ago. There is no way in hell that I would volunteer to get that feeling again. It still scares the hell out of me just thinking about it.

Dude. Ask us if you plan on any more stunts like this. We might just give you some insight as to why you shouldn't!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 AM

Politics aside, your description totally sold me against waterboarding.

Even though I'm very liberal (Obama/Feingold '08!!), I thought the waterboarding debate was more crap-liberal-politics than anything. It didn't sound all that bad compared to breaking fingers, drilling holes, etc., so I figured it was being overblown as a sensationalizing sound byte to criticize Bush (since the masses prefer simple sound bytes to genuine analysis and thoughtful critique--today's masses are to informed citizens, what Bush is to presidents, what Britney Spears is to music, what McDonalds is to food, etc.) . In any case, thanks for the write-up. From reading a few posts, I'm fairly certain that I'm as intelligent as you--and most likely more so since I don't waterboard myself--however, I'm definitely not as tough (though I do carry a 9mm that is just as tough as any man...I know, I know, I'm a bad liberal in that sense).

I'd be interested to see if you have any psychological fallout from the ordeal. Because you did it to yourself, I'd think you'd be alright...but it sounds like it shook you to the core (so maybe take it slow out there for awhile).
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Thank you, Scylla.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
These people that are water-boarded 90% of the time are terrorist caught in the act of war crimes, NOT random citizens.
So you're ok with the 10% who are just average Joes?

Oh, and the 100 mile runs aren't that crazy. I mean, I think Scylla's nuts for doing them, but they're real. Anyway, Scylla, which one are you running?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 AM

Here's a post on daily kos that agrees with Scylla's account.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Probably the most important OP I've seen on this board. There are no ends that justify these means. You do not fight terrorism by becoming an outlaw nation.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 AM

Couple of things

Two days later, it doesn't seem all that bad. I mean it's a little water up the nose, what's the big deal?

I got the same thing after my first 50 miler. During it and immediately after I thought of it as terrible suffering, and pointless and swore never again. A few days later I was like "that wasn't really so bad." A year later when I did it again, I was like "Yes, it was. What was I thinking."

So, no. No lasting psychological damage or anything like that I seem to be pretty good at revising traumatic experiences after the fact to make them more palatable.

The only change I'd make now is that I'd rather be waterboarded then lose my fingers. I'm sure I'd change my mind again once it started.

I'm not really prepared to deal with some of the larger questions that were asked.
There's been some debate (not on this board) but Nationally, whether waterboarding is torture and whether it is an acceptable interrogation technique.

Clearly, there is some kind of line in interrogation. Is it torture to look at a guy mean and make him nervous? Have his room at 68 rather than 72 degrees? Undercook his eggs? Make him eat his favorite ice cream real fast so he gets a headache? A component of interrogation is to make the person being interrogated feel out of balance, uncomfortable, dependant, and wanting to please his interrogators. I do this to my kids if I send them to their room. Coercion happens at all kinds of levels.

The question I wanted to answer was where did waterboarding fall? Should we do it?

My conclusion is that waterboarding would be a very extreme form of torture. Wherever one might choose to draw the line, waterboarding would be out there on the far end.

If we are going to waterboard, we might as well be doing electroshock, beatings, etc. or other forms of "uncivilized" medieval torture. It's just as bad and worse than most.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:

I think it would be great to round up all the enemies of Peace and LibertyTM and just torture the shit out of them. Problem is that those bleeding heart liberals Washington and Jefferson and so on really hamstringed us on that one:

Amendment VI
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

Amendment VIII
"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

I realize that good ole' fashioned investigative and intelligence work is a slow process and we're all about immediate gratification as a society. But maybe going around torturing people doesn't really set a good example? I mean if we're going to go around and topple evil dictators and all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to outfit my testicles with some electrodes.

Last edited by msmith537; 12-23-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:36 AM

I don't get it, I really don't. Was there ever any doubt? Given its long history of use, given the tesitmony of people who have been subjected to it, and the testimony of people who have subjected others to it? (I recall that Mark Twain discussed it obliquely in his anti-imperialist writings about the Phillipine Insurrection as "the water cure"). Despite all of this, there was doubt? Some slim possiblility that this "torture" talk is merely the blatherings of Liberal Scum, who treacherously value humanity and decency above national security?

Well, then, I suppose we only have one sensible course of action if we are to ensure that our ignorance is thoroughly dispelled. We must have volunteers, or course, there being no legal recourse to compel participation. And the volunteers must be vetted and certified as Tighty Rightys of the first rank (since lefties cannot be trusted, being wimpy, effete, and far too smart to offer themselves for such a pointless exercise...)

Not friend Scylla, of course, he has already done yeoman's work here, and can be excused with the thanks of a grateful nation (despite having been exposed herein as being somewhat to the left of Otto von Bismarck, and hence, suspect). No, we need fresh volunteers of unblemished conservative principle, and a list of dubious techniques to be objectively examined. Tearing fingernails, electrodes to the naughty bits, that sort of thing.

Of course, persons such as myself, Dio, Elvis etc. must be, regretably, precluded from such participation, our objectivity being questionable. (Sorry, guys, but the stern requirements of science demand...)

So, step up, tighty rightys! In an orderly fashion, volunteer yourself and specify precisely which technique you will be subjecting yourselves to. Not all at once now, don't want a stampede, here. I see no reason why libertarians need be precluded, this is strictly voluntary, and no state coercion is involved, Of course, I would offer my own participation in an instant, were I not a) lefty and b) sane, but I certainly would not dream of compromising the integrity and objectivity of this experiment. My opinion is already formed, but I could be wrong.

I'm not, but I could be.

(PS: for the record, no volunteers for "the comfy chair" will be accepted. This has only one historical reference, and that as a comedic suggestion.)

Last edited by elucidator; 12-23-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Aaaaarrgh! All right, all right, I'll edit!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
So, step up, tighty rightys! In an orderly fashion, volunteer yourself and specify precisely which technique you will be subjecting yourselves to. Not all at once now, don't want a stampede, here. I see no reason why libertarians need be precluded, this is strictly voluntary, and no state coercion is involved, Of course, I would offer my own participation in an instant, were I not a) lefty and b) sane, but I certainly would not dream of compromising the integrity and objectivity of this experiment. My opinion is already formed, but I could be wrong.
Thankfully as a Green Republican and Bush/Cheney hater, I fail on the tighty righty check. I will have withdraw from participation in your experiment. That and I would probably not even try to hold out, I hate pain. I consider a mile and a half run to be a tortuous thing, forget about 100 miles or waterboarding.

Jim
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well, then, I suppose we only have one sensible course of action if we are to ensure that our ignorance is thoroughly dispelled. We must have volunteers, or course, there being no legal recourse to compel participation. And the volunteers must be vetted and certified as Tighty Rightys of the first rank (since lefties cannot be trusted, being wimpy, effete, and far too smart to offer themselves for such a pointless exercise...)
No. No. I trust you. It's all about fighting and ignorance and we all must do our part. Now it's your turn.

I hear beheading isn't all that bad.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla
I hear beheading isn't all that bad.
The 1st time is supposed to be the worst
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
PS if that guy's a conservative, I must be a fascist.
No, he's brave. You're just a...well, I don't know what the hell you are.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM

I've done a little experimenting with waterboarding myself just using the wet rag method. I posted some video of myself and others undergoing the experience at: http://mediaforsocialchange.blogspot...ed-myself.html
I never tried the saran wrap method (it sounds awful), but the vacuuming effect of the wet rag did induce panic even though I was totally in control of the situation.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Judice
The 1st time is supposed to be the worst
OTOH, I hear the sensation of air rushing over your neck is supposed to be quite pleasant.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre
I've done a little experimenting with waterboarding myself just using the wet rag method. I posted some video of myself and others undergoing the experience at: http://mediaforsocialchange.blogspot...ed-myself.html
I never tried the saran wrap method (it sounds awful), but the vacuuming effect of the wet rag did induce panic even though I was totally in control of the situation.
Ah, but compared to Scylla you are a raving Commie, and therefore your judgement is not to be trusted.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm
Ah, but compared to Scylla you are a raving Commie, and therefore your judgement is not to be trusted.
What I want to know is why he felt it was necessary to drive out into the desert in the middle of the night to waterboard himself.

I have to give that major style points. The only way to top it would be to dig a grave sized hole first.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
I'm a libertarian if that's of any relevance.
No, Libertarianism hasn't been relevant for years.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM

bdaswat is missing the point. By demonstrating the mental anguish caused by this method of interrogation, Scylla's experiment actually reinforces its usefulness as a tool in the fight against terrorism.

It doesn't matter if we waterboard or not. What's important is that the terrorists BELIEVE that we do, AND that it's a terrible experience. If they don't believe that we might conduct this form of interrogation on them, then they might refuse to cooperate.

UNENHANCED INTERROGATION SCENARIO:

INTERROGATOR: Tell us where the bomb is.
AL-QAIDA SUSPECT: No.
INTERROGATOR: Ok.

ENHANCED INTERROGATION SCENARIO:

INTERROGATOR: Ok, then read this [hands suspect a copy of Scylla's post and winks]
AL-QAIDA: I confess!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the coloring book, Chouan. One problem, though: it has dialogue, but it seems to be missing illustrations. Can you send those over? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouan
bdaswat is missing the point. By demonstrating the mental anguish caused by this method of interrogation, Scylla's experiment actually reinforces its usefulness as a tool in the fight against terrorism.

It doesn't matter if we waterboard or not. What's important is that the terrorists BELIEVE that we do, AND that it's a terrible experience. If they don't believe that we might conduct this form of interrogation on them, then they might refuse to cooperate.

INTERROGATOR: Ok, then read this [hands suspect a copy of Scylla's post and winks]
Welcome to the SDMB, Choan.

Somehow I believe that America's reputation amongst terrorism suspects is much worse than just waterboarding.

Last edited by fisha; 12-23-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone here heard of Daniel Levin? He was an assistant US attorney general in the Bush administration who had himself waterboarded voluntarily (by trained members of the military), and then wrote a memo arguing that it is in fact torture. (There is a link to the memo in the Wikipedia article.)
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM

I was reading this thread: Is there any truth torture works? and a guest, vison, posted a link to another message board post about an article at The Atlantic.com. I wanted to find the original article Truth Extraction which is actually very interesting in that it basically says the most effective interrogators didn't use torture, they used kindness. Yes, even in cases where the information was time sensitive. There's a little more to it than that but this information is from the Marine Corps interrogating Japanese prisoners during WWII.

The point of this post is that I found this thread is now on the front page of The Atlantic.com:
Quote:
Andrew Sullivan 23 December 2007 8:28 pm
Self-Waterboarding: An Experiment
Here’s a fascinating account of a very fit man subjecting himself to waterboarding in order to answer the question for himself whether every legal precedent that says it’s torture is correct or not. Read More
Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 PM

I should be getting paid.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
There's no reason to believe that it's useful at all. Rather the opposite, since it makes the terrorists look more justified, and makes other less inclined to bother to cooperate with us. Given the way we behave, why should a third party care if terrorists want to kill Americans ?

Quote:
It doesn't matter if we waterboard or not.
Since waterboarding is evil, yes it does matter. As far as I'm concerned all the "interrogators" who have done so and those who gave permission or orders to do so should be executed.

Quote:
What's important is that the terrorists BELIEVE that we do, AND that it's a terrible experience. If they don't believe that we might conduct this form of interrogation on them, then they might refuse to cooperate.

No, what happens is that we grab people who are quite often innocent, and torture them until they tell us what we want to hear. Or until they end up dead or insane. We don't care if our victims are innocent or guilty because we are a vile nation, a nation of self righteous sadists, thieves and mass murderers. We aren't looking for terrorists, but for victims.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn
Has anyone here heard of Daniel Levin? He was an assistant US attorney general in the Bush administration who had himself waterboarded voluntarily (by trained members of the military), and then wrote a memo arguing that it is in fact torture. (There is a link to the memo in the Wikipedia article.)
I mentioned him back in Post # 23.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Sorry. I skimmed the thread and missed your post.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:52 PM
BANNED

I think Mythbusters should try this experiment. They're desperate for ideas anyway.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Actually, I would think that torture is one of the LEAST affective means of getting a confession. You get a lot of false ones, anything to make them stop.

Now, if I were in charge, I'd be more subtle: total boredom. Stick them in a cell, with merely basic necessities. A small toilet/shower/sink, a cot, a sofa. But NO tv, no books, no form of entertainment whatsoever. Me, I'd be confessing within a day.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs

No, what happens is that we grab people who are quite often innocent, and torture them until they tell us what we want to hear.
Cite?

Quote:
Or until they end up dead or insane. We don't care if our victims are innocent or guilty because we are a vile nation, a nation of self righteous sadists, thieves and mass murderers.
Cite?

Quote:
We aren't looking for terrorists, but for victims.
Cite?

You really shouldn't come in here and threadcrap, this thread is going to be read by potentially MILLIONS.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 AM

The thread's just been Boing Boinged. http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/23...oarding-f.html
Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Actually, I would think that torture is one of the LEAST affective means of getting a confession. You get a lot of false ones, anything to make them stop.

Now, if I were in charge, I'd be more subtle: total boredom. Stick them in a cell, with merely basic necessities. A small toilet/shower/sink, a cot, a sofa. But NO tv, no books, no form of entertainment whatsoever. Me, I'd be confessing within a day.
Yep, this is true. People will say anything under pain and extreme duress. Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi was tortured and provided the false intelligence concerning Iraq’s WMD program. The information al-Libi provided and Yellow Cake were included in the NIE report presented to the UN by former Secretary of State Powell, which of course, justified the preemptive invasion of Iraq.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...oarding_Video_

Last edited by Ocean Annie; 12-24-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
Cite?
Iraq.

Quote:
Cite?
Iraq.

Quote:
Cite?
Iraq.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Iraq.

Iraq.

Iraq.
Ah, I am totally convinced by the eloquence and facts of your flawless argument.
Closed Thread