The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Any Dopers going to DragonCon this year?

For anyone who doesn't know and wonders, DragonCon is a big sci-fi/fantasy con in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend. It's not on the scale of ComicCon, but it's not too shabby either.

Any Dopers attending this year? And, if so, a reminder that the tickets go up on Friday from $105 to $120.

(Feel free to bump this thread anytime.)
Advertisements  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 AM

As always!

(No worries about the prices for me, I'm one of the weirdos who buys next-year's tickets at the end of the con every year.)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM

I probably will miss this one, but next year expect me there with bells on.
I think I have a line on a condo near the con. Great deal but the complex is sold out for this year.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Yes! In fact, I just bought my plane ticket last night - possibly I detected a ripple in the force from you starting this thread Sampiro, even though I wasn't on the board. Non-stop from Buffalo to Atlanta and back, Thursday and Tuesday, nice mid-afternoon flight times, less than $300 canadian including travel medical.

I've already got my Con ticket and a reservation for my own room at the Westin, which is where most of the Whedonite programming was held last year. Whoo-hoo!
Join today!

Last edited by chrisk; 07-12-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: too many smilies
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Anyone dressing?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I'll probably pack my Simon Tam outfit and my funniest novelty T-shirts. Last time I was at DragonCon I wished I had a fancier dress-up costume, but I've got other plans for the summer and no great inspiration, so that'll probably be it.

Last edited by chrisk; 07-12-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I'll probably pack my Simon Tam outfit and my funniest novelty T-shirts.
Sean Maher will be there this year. (I feel bad for telling him that I really just couldn't date him until he was officially out, and I hope when he sees me he doesn't do anything splashy to win my love back.)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM

No elaborate plans for myself, but many for my mystery guest. Experimentation is underway, so we'll have to see what pans out.

I usually go with some variation of comfortable steampunk/victorian corset/skirts (length and associated underclothings dependent on the mercury and the time of day) with my super-comfy walking boots.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Since I moved to Atlanta, I'm definitely interested and planning to go.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Bumping the thread, because I will be there on Saturday! I went several years ago and had a great time.

I will probably not dress up, but my husband is thinking about doing the lazy man's costume: Arthur Dent with his bathrobe and towel.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM

I'll be there, with a gaggle of friends! Thursday and Friday I'll be in the two-day intensive Writer's workshop, but after that, I'll be wandering about.

I'll probably be in costume most the time, if not the whole event. Going with a steampunk/airship pirate/anachronistic nightmare thing; a red and black leather waistcoat with long tails, beige period style trousers, red and black striped knees socks, 14th century buckle boots, a black top-hat with a red silk-looking sash and a winged skull emblem on the front, a red steampunk looking monocle/eyepatch, a black poofy sleeved shirt with red elbow garters, and possibly a black and red walking stick.

I should have the last bits of this assembled in the next week or so, so if I can remember to do so, I'll post pics! I'd love to meet some fellow dopers!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Will likely be there on Saturday. Unfortunately didn't get the full weekend, when I could.

Deciding whether or not to dress up. My ex-fiance was huge into Steampunk and I dressed the part, but my heart isn't super into dressing up. Maybe a "simple" outfit with boots, khakis, a white dress shirt rolled up, vest, and perhaps googles.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Would love to, but no disposable income. Still, I live in Atlanta, so I will wander down to Midtown just to see the sights. I went for the first time last year, and, frankly, watching the cosplayers was the most enjoyable aspect. Some of those folks are amazing.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Would love to, but no disposable income. Still, I live in Atlanta, so I will wander down to Midtown just to see the sights. I went for the first time last year, and, frankly, watching the cosplayers was the most enjoyable aspect. Some of those folks are amazing.

Yeah, I'll definitely go down for the parade again this year, but $ is tight enough that I won't be attending anything. Love watching the parade though!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Late to the thread, but I'll be there at least a couple of days.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I arrived in Atlanta this afternoon. Any interest in trying to meet up, fellow Dragoncon dopers?