Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
5 Game winning streak for the Pens, and tomorrow Flower's coming home! Woohoo!!!!
Great!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Oooof. Tough month to be a Stars fan. Right in the yarbles, over and over.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeah, it isn't even a month into the season and it feels like the Stars are going to challenge for the first overall draft pick.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

What the hell is wrong with the Stars?
Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 PM

It sucks to lose, but since it was to the Flower, I can't complain.

Did anyone see the prank he played on Dan Potash?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Well, you see half the problem is that they don't score enough goals. The other half is that they allow too many goals to get scored on them.

Yes, they are clamoring for my advice in the NHL.

In all honesty, I don't know. It seems like we've spent most of the first ten games out of position at the worst possible times and the other team has made us pay. What's caused us to do that repeatedly? I'd say it's the same lack of urgency that plagued us last year. Hopefully last night's victory will wake us up.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Well, you see half the problem is that they don't score enough goals. The other half is that they allow too many goals to get scored on them.

Yes, they are clamoring for my advice in the NHL.

In all honesty, I don't know. It seems like we've spent most of the first ten games out of position at the worst possible times and the other team has made us pay. What's caused us to do that repeatedly? I'd say it's the same lack of urgency that plagued us last year. Hopefully last night's victory will wake us up.
Thanks for your insight. Actually I too see lack of urgency but am at a loss where it is coming from. A lot of times I blame it on Jamie Benn; he often seems, to be polite, uninvolved. Lately I am wondering if Benn and Seguin don't get along with Montgomery. Maybe it will stir up the "stars" if the youngsters like Hintz keep pushing and working and scoring.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. Actually I too see lack of urgency but am at a loss where it is coming from. A lot of times I blame it on Jamie Benn; he often seems, to be polite, uninvolved. Lately I am wondering if Benn and Seguin don't get along with Montgomery. Maybe it will stir up the "stars" if the youngsters like Hintz keep pushing and working and scoring.
Yeah, I agree. My brother thinks Hintz is likely to be a 50 goal scorer this season. I don't have much in the way of a counter argument to that. He's been a nice magical touch in this early slump. I had also hoped that Perry and Pavelski would add a bit, and at least Perry seems to be able to provide it.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Ooh look, we got a real John Madden here!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 AM

Any more stinkers like they’ve been dropping the last 4 games and I don’t see Blashill here past 1/3-1/2 way through the season.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I am pleased to note the Ottawa Senators are still technically an NHL team, and are scheduled to play an additional 74 NHL games this year against a variety of opponents.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Any more stinkers like they’ve been dropping the last 4 games and I don’t see Blashill here past 1/3-1/2 way through the season.
If you include the loss to the Canucks last night, that would be five they've dropped. Surprised to see Howard let in an innocuous five-holer, from significant distance, on the fourth goal.
The Red Wings have been outshot 16-7 in the third period so far this season - no wonder their late-frame implosion last night. I'd doubt if that trend continues, though.
Unfortunate for the Wings that they passed on Quinn Hughes in the 2018 draft - he'll definitely become a franchise D for the Canucks.
Detroit should be happy, though, with Evgeny Svechnikov debuting for them last night - I'll bet he'll eventually be quite formidable, offensively.

Nice hat-trick, Bo!
Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Detroit should be happy, though, with Evgeny Svechnikov debuting for them last night - I'll bet he'll eventually be quite formidable, offensively.
We like his brother.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:25 AM

Tim Peel is a fucking moron. That is all.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:22 PM

Just heard that the Canucks' goaltending have the lowest team goals against average in the NHL. (Markstrom and Demko)
Figured I'd have to post that right away before that stat vanishes by, oh, the end of the night, forever but lost, a nanosecond glory, gone to the mists, in the annals of the game, time, and the origin of the universe itself.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:13 AM

Weird Caps/Canucks game tonight. The Caps looked pretty awful in the first 2 periods, and with 1 second left in the 2nd period, were losing 5-1. In that last second of the 2nd, Kuzy scored. And then in the third, they started playing with urgency, and completed the comeback, then won it in the shootout. Fun game (for a Caps fan).
Old 10-26-2019, 01:32 AM

The Flames/Jets outdoor game is tomorrow. Should be fun.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
Weird Caps/Canucks game tonight. The Caps looked pretty awful in the first 2 periods, and with 1 second left in the 2nd period, were losing 5-1. In that last second of the 2nd, Kuzy scored. And then in the third, they started playing with urgency, and completed the comeback, then won it in the shootout. Fun game (for a Caps fan).
Heh I was gonna come back later and say, well, 'so much' for the Canucks team goals against average still being the best in the league. Not the 'tender's fault.
Second game in a row Van's blown good leads. Bumdogs.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 10-26-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, the Oilers are off to a spectacular start. And we all know what that means... The inevitable mid-season slump that takes them out of playoff contention will be even more spectacular this year.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Jays Fan

As much as Sam Stone is just voicing an Edmontonian's natural inclination to pessimism... honestly, he's likely right. The Oilers' record is probably a fluke, and many of the teams below them are better than they are. I base this not just on their history but

1. They are only plus-4 in goal differential, which isn't consistent with an 8-3-1 record. It's not even top three in their division.

2. Their goals for is inflated by a 33.3% success rate on the power play, which absolutely is not sustainable.

3. Their penalty kill rate is also unusually good, which may be sustainable to some extent but it ain't getting better.

While I was looking those things up I noticed that Ottawa has a pwer play rate of 5.91%. That is... extraordinary. The Senators are likelier to score a goal when they AREN'T on the power play than when they are.

That facts about the hapless Sens is funny, but it's indicative of why you shouldn't trust a team's results, or lack thereof, based on small power play/penalty killing sample sizes. Obviously, Ottawa will not continue to only score on two out of every 37 power plays; a PP rate twice that high would be dreadful. By sheer chance they'll get it up to at least 12-15%. Similarly, Edmonton's 33.33% rate can't continue. it cannot be done. Wayne Gretzky's Oilers couldn't do that.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Ericsson down to GRR after clearing waivers, and Abdelkader on IR. sounds like Stevie Y is signaling to these over-paid veterans that instead of over-paying them to not produce on the ice, he might as well pay them to not produce and sit instead of taking ice time from younger prospects.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM

7-1, Pens. It's always fun to beat the Flyers, especially when you crush them like we did tonight.

And Geno should be back on Saturday! *happy dance* Life is sweet.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

New Canes beat the Ex Canes 2-1, with a PP goal and as our PA announcer said "the filthiest goal you'll ever see in person."
Old 10-29-2019, 11:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

After laying a turd for half the game and spotting the Wild a three goal lead the Stars turned it on. 6 straight goals including a hattrick from Radulov....

They have issues to deal with for sure, but I think a lot of them go away with consistent scoring.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Well, I wasted my evening watching the Astros lose at home again and missed the comeback of the Stars. Ugh. So glad for Radulov! Go Stars!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:43 AM

The Blackhawks (as well as the Bulls for that matter) stink and the Bears appear to be already out of it. Hey, spring baseball is only 4 months away.

So, is it time for the Hawks to trade Kane and Toews while they are still valuable, get some young players and/or draft picks, and finally go about the serious business of rebuilding from scratch?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Flames comeback was amazing. The OT winner by Matthew Tkachuk is just insane.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Tkachuks' game winner.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The Blackhawks (as well as the Bulls for that matter) stink and the Bears appear to be already out of it. Hey, spring baseball is only 4 months away.

So, is it time for the Hawks to trade Kane and Toews while they are still valuable, get some young players and/or draft picks, and finally go about the serious business of rebuilding from scratch?
Trade them to the Isles. We're literally running out of forwards, with Komorov and Martin out indefinitely, Eberle out, Andrew Ladd always being injured, and now Beauvillier likely out sick as well. They've called up Otto Koivula (who?). Even their AHL team is running out of forwards, and Josh Ho-Sang isn't playing at all.

Last edited by RitterSport; 11-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Tkachuks' game winner.
Thanks for posting that; what a beauty.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Today is a Saturday without any Canadian team playing a home game.... I do not remember the last time that happened.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM

OK, I know that this is supposed to be about NHL October, but I don't see a November thread. So, I just wanted to say, nine straight.

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I wasted my evening watching the Astros lose at home again and missed the comeback of the Stars. Ugh. So glad for Radulov! Go Stars!
It was glorious to watch, and unexpected. They've played with that amount of urgency since then, too. I hope they keep it up.