The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Since when are 12 year olds men? Surely he'll dye it when he notices girls.
Why would he need to? He can enslave women with the power of his evil little redheaded mind. Being an abomination against nature has its advantages.
Advertisements  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Yes...I happen to have an unnatural crush on Damian Lewis.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 AM

I'm one of those rare women who actually don't mind red-haired men. I find some good-looking, others (such as Carrot Top) not so much.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Felicia Day in a relevant clip.
What kind of asshole asks that question in a public place like that?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
The red-heads I've known in my life have stood out as the most sexual, expressive, daring and uninhibited women I've ever known. Voracious.
Red-headed female checking in. I am all of those things. I couldn't imagine me any other way.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
What kind of asshole asks that question in a public place like that?
Drunk nerd on a dare at a convention. They don't get more tacky than that. I mean, we're not talking about people with a high degree of social skills here.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Truly, could there be any man more disgustingly ugly than David Wenham?

http://www.fanzone50.com/DW/BasiliskStare.jpg
Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Drunk nerd on a dare at a convention. They don't get more tacky than that. I mean, we're not talking about people with a high degree of social skills here.
Possibly, but was he still drunk when he posted it on youtube?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstee View Post
Red-headed female checking in. I am all of those things. I couldn't imagine me any other way.
Mhhm. How you doin'?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish ArcAngel View Post
I am 6 foot strawberry blond hair with blue eyes 200 lbs with athletic body and a masters in education, yet I have notice that guys with dark skin and hair who are smaller and not as in shape have something about them that gets them noticed more often by the opposite sex.
I'm not sure what's worse: that you think a masters in education is a visible trait, or that you think it would be considered attractive...
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM

I've held opinions on hair color prior, but I was proven wrong. Hair color is hair color; its the person underneath whose sexy or not.
For some people, learning that could take a lifetime.

If your lucky.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Huh? You're calling CT hot? I was providing evidence for your statement. I think.
I misinterpreted. I don't find CT hot.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I wonder if the differing opinions about the relative sexiness of redheaded men vs. redheaded women is actually more about the pale complexion of most redheads than the actual hair color. Fair skin has traditionally been seen as a prestigious/desirable trait in women, but not so much for men.
Well yeah. If you take an otherwise attractive guy and dye his hair red, he won't suddenly be ugly. In some cases it might add attractiveness.

Then there's the issue of red as in the color red, or red as in more orangey but still called red for some reason.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Make mine a Minchin
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Women of all colors and hair types are gorgeous. Redheads? Gimme some. Brunettes? I'll have their numbers, please. Blondes? By the dozen. Sort of in between brunette and blonde? Oh, yes indeedy. Strawberry blonde? Butterscotch? Deep black? Yes, yes, and yes again, if you don't mind. Some women can rock unnatural dyed colors. Jesus, look at the woman who played Ramona Flowers in "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World." Blue or pink, the woman was beautiful.

A man who excludes any hair color of women is a damned fool.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
You know, Diana knew what she was talking about when she said that he was the one to watch. He's really attractive.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Felicia Day in a relevant clip.

BTW, the correct answer is
SPOILER:
hardwood floors.
Yeah, I saw that clip. Felicia has a natural beauty. I thought it was funny they had to whisper to her what they were asking.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I dig redheaded women. Not sure why, I guess they just stand out, and they're proud of being different or they'd dye it a different color.
Not that it's a deal breaker, but if God were to just let me design a woman for me, I think I'd go for red curly hair and "I'm smarter than you" glasses.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Creature of the Night

I'm fascinated by red hair, and the skin tone that goes with it. I envy the women who have it, and lust after redheaded men.

If I liked going to the beauty shop more, then I'd get my hair dyed a deep auburn. It looks good on me, and my husband has remarked, several times, that I should go and get it done again. Maybe I will, now that I've cut my hair short. My hair used to be down to the middle of my back until about a year ago, and getting that much hair dyed is quite time consuming, especially since I get highlights and occasionally lowlights as well. I don't think that I could pull off a strawberry blonde, but I can manage the auburn.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM

I think some redheaded men are hot, but I tend to notice hair color as sort of an afterthought. It'll register with me that 'hmm, he's easy on the eyes' and then sometime later I'll notice absently that his hair color is probably what most people would call red or ginger. These men remain attractive even if they dye their hair a different color -- I'm looking at you, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. Freckles on men don't generally do as well as freckles on women -- guys treat them like Jadzia Dax's Trill spots and like to ponder whether they go all the way down -- but when they work, man do they work.

I'm American and I was flabbergasted when I was told that "gingers" get picked on in the UK. I have very long, bright titian hair. I've had men follow me around like puppies knowing literally nothing about me other than what I looked like, and a lot of them made it obvious it was because they had a Definite Thing for redheads. I was fourteen when the X-Files hit it big and it was disconcerting to go to the mall one day and discover that every last mannequin in the place suddenly had the same hair color as me and Gillian Anderson. When redheaded actresses start bleaching or dying things here, there's a veritable flood of comments on pictures sites going, "Nooooooooo, bring the red back!"
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM

in general, yes, red heads with pale skin are more attractive to me than the general population. Throw in a little bit of awkwardness, and a generally pleasant, almost perky demeanor, and I'm in heaven.

However, this does not transfer over to most red-headed men being more handsome. Though the coolest guy I ever met was a red head.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

"I brake for Asian women. I back up six blocks for redheads."

Says the guy whose major girlfriends were Jamaican and Finnish, but whatever...
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM

I'm strawberry blonde, but all the men I've dated have called me a redhead. I let them think what they like.

Some red-headed men are very attractive, as those linked above. Others not so much. I think it might also have something to do with the attributes associated with redheads (fiery, passionate, sexual) are more attractive in women than men. The skin thing makes sense, too, though.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Red Headed woman are very attractive to me. The only exceptions are the unfortunate ones with huge blotchy freckles. Small freckles are cute.

Red headed guys, Conan O'Brien, Ron Howard? Not really attractive.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-20-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Redheads seem to wax and wane in media popularity. Going by the first few pages here it seems to be good times, indeed.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM

I don't find red hair a desirable trait on men, but I think that's mostly due to a. being ask if virtually every other redhead I've ever met is related to me - having lots of people wonder if I'm kissing a brother/cousin is a pretty unsexy idea b. knowing that if I had kids with another redhead it's highly likely that all our babies would have red hair too, which I wouldn't wish on a defenseless child who'll grow up in this part of the country. But my sister-in-law is far from the only woman who has found my brother captivating, so some chicks definitely dig redheaded guys
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Red hair on women is sexy. I'd say my natural order of preference, all other things being equal, is brunette > redhead > blonde. But my wife is blonde so it's not a hard and fast rule!

I have blond hair, but in certain lights it could be said to have a hint of strawberryishness My facial hair certainly has bits of ginger in it if I let it grow.

I've noticed that red-headed men, and boys in particular, are often lumbered with a particularly unflattering shade of orange hair that I don't often see on girls/women. Red hair and excessive freckles tends to be an unfortunate combination on either gender. (Think Patsy Palmer)

Last edited by Colophon; 06-20-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Love me some redhead girls. Bonus points for freckles and an accent.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 AM

There was this redhead in the adult ed anatomy class I taught at a massage school some years back who was one of the two most gorgeous women I have ever seen in my life. She was tall, shapely but with no extra fat, had natural red hair and a dusting of freckles. She was also funny, well read, and realistic about what massage could and couldn't do. Instructing there meant acting as a crash test dummy for the students as they learned technique. Katherine (her name) had a good touch and is actually the last person from whom I accepted a massage; her clumsy classmates left me with a lingering distaste for it. After she graduated, I changed jobs and haven't seen her again. So, to answer the OP, red hair generally doesn't influence me one way or the other....but there is, or was, one red haired woman in this world who was so sexy that being around her made me want to bite my own elbow.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 AM

One of my maternal grandparents was a redhead (not sure which one though, I never met them) the gene skipped a generation then came back out in the next generation. I have several red haired cousins of both sexes, although nearly everyone (myself included) went brunette [naturally] as we hit puberty. I now wash my hair with red henna to keep it as nature originally intended.

I wouldn't dismiss a 6ft man just cos he's got red hair.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella Flynn View Post
I'm American and I was flabbergasted when I was told that "gingers" get picked on in the UK.
You're not the first person I've heard say this but I'm still trying to figure out where this utopia in the US is that little redheads don't get picked on. They do, mercilessly, in New England, and a redheaded coworker from Utah said it was the same there when she grew up too. Where are you from?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
The answer to the OP is "it depends". As I've said before, red hair doesn't always work, but when it does, it works very, very well.
Ain't that the truth.

It has so far been to my detriment* but I seem to have a certain degree of hard-wired response to wimmins with red hairs, freckles, blue or (better) green eyes, and a tendency towards casual wear and absence of makeup.

(* I had one who fit the descriptive bill against whom I ended up having to get an order of protection)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
You're not the first person I've heard say this but I'm still trying to figure out where this utopia in the US is that little redheads don't get picked on. They do, mercilessly, in New England, and a redheaded coworker from Utah said it was the same there when she grew up too. Where are you from?
I didn't know redheads got picked on in this day and age until I was in college. I thought it was quaint when I read Anne of Green Gables, and figured it was a Old Timey thing that was over, like dipping pigtails in inkwells.

Suburb south of Chicago, IL, born in 1974. My best friend was a redhead, and I never witnessed her being teased about it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I grew up in Arizona. (Which is really the last place on Earth a natural redhead should move, but never mind.) My hair is bright titian -- right around Nancy Drew and Agent Scully. It doesn't always come out great in photos, but unless my monitor is completely b0rked this one looks to be about right: Picture It bleaches out a bit in the front if I get a lot of sun, but other than that it's been that color all my life. Even my eyelashes match, pre-mascara. I freckle madly, and the un-sunned parts of me were any paler I'd be see-through.

I was picked on for plenty of things in school, believe me, but I honestly cannot recall a single time where anyone has brought up my hair color and followed it with anything other than a compliment. I've had guys try to follow me home because of it. On one memorable occasion, a passing acquaintance of a friend tried to convince said friend to get him a lunch date with me having never seen me in person and knowing literally nothing about me, except that I was a redheaded woman.

My redheaded mother and her auburn sisters grew up in and around St. Louis, MO, and got pretty much the same when they were my age. My father's redheaded sister, who has lived all her life in New England, has never said anything to me about being teased for it, although I suppose it might just never have come up.