The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Should I take this job opportunity?

I have a chance for either a job, or at least an interview with ACS (Affiliated Computer Services, a Xerox company) to work at a phone bank giving customer service for iPhones. Here's what I know about the job:
The building I would work in is an hours drive away, one way
I would get three weeks training at $9/hour, and then once on the job, performance based pay for time of calls and customer satisfaction. I was told the average is $10 - $11/hour and the minimum is $9.
It's a full time job and the hours periodically change, but they don't change from week to week. It would be an 8 hour a day, 5 days a week job.
On Mon-Fri the earliest shift would start at 4:00am and the latest shift would end at 9:00pm. On Sat and Sun the earliest shift would start at 6:00am and the latest shift would end at 6:00pm.

The closest I came to working in a call center was taking political surveys and I only lasted a few months before quitting because I didn't like it, but I know that receiving calls from people who want to talk to you is different then calling people who don't.
Advertisements  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
...but I know that receiving calls from people who want to talk to you is different then calling people who don't.
True. They're not going to hang up on you. But you can't hang up on them...

Last edited by mascaroni; 04-07-2010 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: English/American English translation
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Inbound call centers are totally different. I lasted 3 weeks selling AT&T long distance service but I had an inbound call center job I would have kept all the way through college if I could.

Unfortunately, it was one of Lou Perlman's scam companies and they went bust.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Hugh. I just accepted this same job today (At a different location though - our call center opens at 9:00. You must be on the west coast).

My husband has worked for ACS for about a year and a half, and I went ahead and took the job there, so that should tell you someting.

ACS isn't a bad company at all, but they do churn through people. They're very, very concerned with punctuality and timliness, so if you think you might have a problem with that, you might want to reconsider.

Based on your performance in the training class, you'll be able to bid on a shift, then new ones are based on your on-floor performance. They have a pretty sporatic schedule for when they do new shift bids, so it may be only a few weeks with that shift, or it may be several months.

ACS's benifits package isn't stellar, but it's not bad. The health insurance is affordable for my husband and I, and covers our basic needs (regular female stuff for me, removing a nasty infected splinter, and the occasional sinus infection for my husband), but probably wouldn't hold up in case of something seriously catastrophic, like cancer.

Send me a message if I can be of any more help.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehmket View Post
Hugh. I just accepted this same job today (At a different location though - our call center opens at 9:00. You must be on the west coast).
Yup, Oregon.
Quote:
Send me a message if I can be of any more help.
I just might. Thank you very much.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Should you take this job opportunity as opposed to doing what?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Rover View Post
Should you take this job opportunity as opposed to doing what?
Turning it down.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Turning it down.
In which case you would do what? Not work? If so, I say take the job and keep looking for something better.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Rover View Post
In which case you would do what? Not work? If so, I say take the job and keep looking for something better.
I might just do that.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

I got a temp job with an inbound call center years ago, same pay ($9/hr flat, though), hour fluctuations (with shift bid) and commute. It was all right. Call centers are definitely a grind but if you can show up on time and not be a jackass you can usually get by no matter what you do for at least a while.

High turnover is to be expected. It's a high stress job and most people either take it and can't hack it, can't show up regularly or move into something else. The nice thing is that turnover tends to be high at all levels so it's relatively easy to get promoted. At our center, people got moved pretty often into Quality Assurance, Workforce Management, training or supervisory roles.

The cons: working random hours (I worked pretty much every shift, from days of the week to hours -- in my time at a call center, I worked 6am-3pm, 7-4, 8-5, 9-6, 11-8, 12-9, 1-10, 2-11, 3-12, 5pm-2am, 8pm-5am and 10pm-7pm at various times, all within four years. Granted, several of those were as supervisors. And there were some 10 hour a day, 4 day a week schedules too; can't remember the specifics anymore.) Lack of professionalism. Constant change. Inconsistency. People screaming at you. Constant pressure to minimize call time but maximize customer survey results (or whatever quality gauges are used). Lots of stupid rules that are enforced with no real reason.

Hey, it's a job. But I won't romanticize it, either. Working in a call center (inbound or not) is hard work which wears you down. But if you have no other prospects, take it; at least you can pick up some skills and a paycheck. When you're new, chances are you'll be working not-completely-business-hours (most desirable shifts for us were 7-4, then 6-3, then 8-5) so you can still interview other places easily and continue the job search.

Last edited by fluiddruid; 04-07-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Nobody has a decent job offer these days. Take what you can where you can.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I have a chance for either a job, or at least an interview with ACS (Affiliated Computer Services, a Xerox company) to work at a phone bank giving customer service for iPhones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Nobody has a decent job offer these days.
Isn't this a bit redundant?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascaroni View Post
True. They're not going to hang up on you. But you can't hang up on them...
You'd be surprised. My husband works at a call center on inbound calls, and he still gets people hanging up on him. Usually wrong numbers or pranks, but sometimes people get mad, like when he asks them how to spell their name or what their address is. He is required to take that information for any call. These are people calling in to get into educational programs at a certain college. At the very least, he needs the zip code to even determine which campus to route them to.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo523 View Post
Isn't this a bit redundant?
That's HILARIOUS!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 PM

A slight aside: If your state government uses civil service, find the appropriate website and take as many exams as you can, when you can.

If you score well, the interviews usually roll in. Most state gov'ts are in a hiring freeze, but the beauty of it is that you don't have to manually look for jobs with that outlet. While looking for something else, you're always on the list, being noticed by potential agencies which are hiring.

I recently got hired as a clerk typist II for the PA State gov't, and I can't complain whatsoever. Great benefits, pay, perks, etc.

Not suggesting that you'd be interested, but it's a well-kept secret by most State governments.

If you select a wide range of counties around you when applying for the exams, your net obviously increases in size. The government is *always* hiring, freeze or not. Obama, Bush, a random monkey dancing in his cage at the zoo, it doesn't matter. There is work in the government if you're qualified and intelligent.

Last edited by elninost0rm; 04-08-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Double, sorry. I always think of something to add a little too late.

Absolutely take the job. The commute will be annoying but any income is better than no income any day of the week (especially in this fledgling economy).

There are other factors, of course, such as children/spouse/etc., but I'd say go for it.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninost0rm View Post
A slight aside: If your state government uses civil service, find the appropriate website and take as many exams as you can, when you can.
I don't understand, could you elaborate, or maybe point us to the site in your state? It sounds like it might help a friend of mine.

Thanks!

Last edited by TruCelt; 04-08-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerdude View Post
That's HILARIOUS!!!!
Now we know his real name is Odysseus.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninost0rm View Post

If you score well, the interviews usually roll in. Most state gov'ts are in a hiring freeze, but the beauty of it is that you don't have to manually look for jobs with that outlet. While looking for something else, you're always on the list, being noticed by potential agencies which are hiring.

I recently got hired as a clerk typist II for the PA State gov't, and I can't complain whatsoever. Great benefits, pay, perks, etc.

Not suggesting that you'd be interested, but it's a well-kept secret by most State governments.

If you select a wide range of counties around you when applying for the exams, your net obviously increases in size. The government is *always* hiring, freeze or not. Obama, Bush, a random monkey dancing in his cage at the zoo, it doesn't matter. There is work in the government if you're qualified and intelligent.
I apply for state jobs left and right. Sounds good if it will help. I'm seriously considering taking it. I have an alternative plan if I run out of unemployment and can't find another job, but I'd rather use it as a last resort. I just wonder, if I don't make it through training (paid training for 3 weeks), or I while during training I decide I can't do, or really really don't want the job, could I tell unemployment that I wasn't fired from, or quit a job, because it was just training and I didn't actually do any work?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I don't understand, could you elaborate, or maybe point us to the site in your state? It sounds like it might help a friend of mine.

Thanks!
seconded!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubbleskag View Post
seconded!
http://www.scsc.state.pa.us

All the information on getting started is there.

I've googled for other states, but they seem to be far more vague than Pennsylvania (some seem to offer a generic civil service exam, which is one test and used to fill vacancies). The PA system is very comprehensive, offering different tests for a variety of different jobs.

I'm sure the need for jobs is directly related to the population. PA is a big, dense state, so that might explain it.

If you need any other help/advice/links, don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: It seems many states' civil service consists entirely of job postings open to the public. This is nice, but it does absolutely no weeding out. I scored a 98 on my CT2 test and I received availability surveys/interviews pretty consistently. I got a temporary 2 month position as an Energy Assistance Clerk (which gave me direct experience). From there, landing a permanent position wasn't hard at an interview since I'd basically already done it.

Last edited by elninost0rm; 04-08-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Note, dudes, that the IRS is hiring. Have a BA? Accounting is nice but not required for many professional positions. However, to be a Revenue Agent, you need 24 hours, iirc.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM

OK, I called and set up an interview. Here's keeping my fingers crossed something else comes along before then. But if not, well, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.