The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > About This Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM
kanicbird kanicbird is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Have we outgrown Cecil? , "What does God need with a starship?"

I remember the day where it was common to quote "the perfect master", and while I do see that occasionally, very occasionally, well seldomly, perhaps rarely, um let's make that very rarely, well almost never to be honest. Has this board, which is us, outgrown our god (Cecil Adams).

Is there any relevance to it's roots anymore? Is it time where we leave this god behind on a planet as we journey onwards? Does anyone read CA's columns anymore?

And for many newcomers are you even aware of what a Cecil Adams is?

Last edited by kanicbird; 06-15-2017 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 PM
steatopygia steatopygia is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,002
I quoted Cecil as the second response to the peeing on an electric fence thread last week.

Here
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Grrr! Grrr! is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,179
I think with Google's improved algorithms, the GQ forum is [i]almost[/b] obsolete. That is of course unless you are looking for more than a clinical answer to the question you want answered and would like to have an actual discussion of said question.


The internets has out grown its infancy, and by default its paternal masters as well.

Sorry uncle cici..

Last edited by Grrr!; 06-15-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Little_Pig Little_Pig is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain View Ca.
Posts: 3,382
O ye young pup, of little faith. Do not tempt fate lest you be struck by a bolt of lightning and your mortal ashes be flushed down the nearest sewer pipe.

Last edited by Little_Pig; 06-15-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Asimovian Asimovian is offline
The Zeroeth Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,734
Moderator Note

Thread relocated from IMHO to a higher plane.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Grestarian Grestarian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Garage & Lab
Posts: 1,169
I read the columns at least twice a week -- or I go back through the links to read them. Always the new Friday entries; very often the recycled archival offerings (though I've also recognized some of them as 3rd or 4th repostings and even saw one, which was the impetus for my joining (so I could respond to it), that was updated with newer information (including some of the stuff I posted).

So I don't think I've outgrown this place yet.
In fact, as a ReFFugee from another board (which was an oFFshoot of another board) I'm very much liking this venue.

--G!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:20 PM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Sure, Google can find the answer to most anything. What it cannot easily find are answers of the depth and quality that we find on this board of Cecil's. Ask a question on this board and you're likely to find it answered by some of the savviest folk on the net. You just don't get that by googling, unless of course you want to sift thousands of answers until you find a good one. This board is still needed and will be for a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM
kanicbird kanicbird is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
....This board is still needed and will be for a long time.
I'm asking if Cecil is still needed, or can we do without um 'it'.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 31,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I remember the day where it was common to quote "the perfect master", and while I do see that occasionally, very occasionally, well seldomly, perhaps rarely, um let's make that very rarely, well almost never to be honest. Has this board, which is us, outgrown our god (Cecil Adams).

Is there any relevance to it's roots anymore? Is it time where we leave this god behind on a planet as we journey onwards? Does anyone read CA's columns anymore?

And for many newcomers are you even aware of what a Cecil Adams is?
I still go to the home page and read the column, especially the new ones but even the older ones I'll re-read after years. I still see them come up for discussion in that forum as well, which sometimes gives an interesting take on one of his older (or newer) columns. Of course, I don't think that the writer today is the same over the years, but I still find it informative, and I think it's still a part of this board.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 PM
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I'm asking if Cecil is still needed, or can we do without um 'it'.

I doubt if I would recognize Cecil if he were standing in front of me in line at the grocery store, but consider this: Black Sabbath didn't think they needed Ozzy anymore. Hawkwind didn't think they needed Lemmy anymore. Who were the big winners after those decisions, huh?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
Ask a question on this board and you're likely to find it answered by some of the savviest folk on the net
Ask a question on this board and you'll likely be answered by one (or more) of the same 40 people who answer every question on this board. Or 99% of the questions.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 70,937
I don't think that Cecil's columns are the bulk of the value in the Straight Dope, but they are the nucleus of the value. You can ask any member here why they're on this message board. For some of them (possibly even most), they'll say it's because they get good discussion, or because they like the people here, or whatever. But that's all, ultimately, circular. Why is that good discussion, and those people, here? Well, many of them are here because of other people, and so on. But this chain has a finite number of steps, and in the end, what it comes down to is that everyone here is here, on this particular site, because of Cecil Adams, whether directly or indirectly.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,088
Just because Santa's Helpers are doing a spiffy job is no reason to get rid of Santa.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 PM
steatopygia steatopygia is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't think that Cecil's columns are the bulk of the value in the Straight Dope, but they are the nucleus of the value. You can ask any member here why they're on this message board. For some of them (possibly even most), they'll say it's because they get good discussion, or because they like the people here, or whatever. But that's all, ultimately, circular. Why is that good discussion, and those people, here? Well, many of them are here because of other people, and so on. But this chain has a finite number of steps, and in the end, what it comes down to is that everyone here is here, on this particular site, because of Cecil Adams, whether directly or indirectly.


QfT

Last edited by steatopygia; 06-15-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 30,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I remember the day where it was common to quote "the perfect master", and while I do see that occasionally, very occasionally, well seldomly, perhaps rarely, um let's make that very rarely, well almost never to be honest. Has this board, which is us, outgrown our god (Cecil Adams).

Is there any relevance to it's roots anymore? Is it time where we leave this god behind on a planet as we journey onwards? Does anyone read CA's columns anymore?

And for many newcomers are you even aware of what a Cecil Adams is?
HERETIC!

Are you chilly, kanicbird?

There's nothing quite as toasty as an auto da fe.
__________________
Dorothy Lamour: I hope they’re not cannibals or head-shrinkers!
Bob Hope: I hope they're orange pickers- I want to get out of this tree!
Bing Crosby: Oh, stop squaking, You’ll fall off when you’re ripe!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 70,937
An auto da fe? What's an auto da fe?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Projammer Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 5,621
I haven't heard that Cecil is looking for a flat in Shadows Fall, so we should be good to go for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 PM
John DiFool John DiFool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I doubt if I would recognize Cecil if he were standing in front of me in line at the grocery store, but consider this: Black Sabbath didn't think they needed Ozzy anymore. Hawkwind didn't think they needed Lemmy anymore. Who were the big winners after those decisions, huh?
Maybe Cecil doesn't think he needs Ed Zotti anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Heracles Heracles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southern Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Just because Santa's Helpers are doing a spiffy job is no reason to get rid of Santa.
So apt!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 AM
outlierrn outlierrn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
An auto da fe? What's an auto da fe?
It's what you oughtn't do, but you do anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 AM
kopek kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 11,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Just because Santa's Helpers are doing a spiffy job is no reason to get rid of Santa.

As a semi-professional mall Santa ------------ damn betcha!

I am not totally making light; I seriously come down on the side that wants/needs an Unca Cecil.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 AM
jerez jerez is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
The texts he signs are very well written, and he seems to be much less snarky than in the past, which is a big plus for a message board.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Lucas Jackson Lucas Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I doubt if I would recognize Cecil if he were standing in front of me in line at the grocery store, but consider this: Black Sabbath didn't think they needed Ozzy anymore. Hawkwind didn't think they needed Lemmy anymore. Who were the big winners after those decisions, huh?
While I disagree with the OP and like having a masthead, those are not great analogies. Ozzy and Lemmy were real people.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM
susan susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Cecil is a real person or persons. Or do you think a computer generates the column content?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 19,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
An auto da fe? What's an auto da fe?
It's a Russian iron car.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
While I disagree with the OP and like having a masthead, those are not great analogies. Ozzy and Lemmy were real people.
Are you referring to John Michael Osbourne and Ian Fraser Kilmister?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,373
So when was the last time actually Uncle Cecil came down from his mountain top and mingled with us on the SDMB?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
So when was the last time actually Uncle Cecil came down from his mountain top and mingled with us on the SDMB?
Apparently, November 21st, 2013.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 AM
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
While I disagree with the OP and like having a masthead, those are not great analogies. Ozzy and Lemmy were real people.
Why are you talking about Ozzy in the past tense? Long live Ozzy!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 27,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ask a question on this board and you'll likely be answered by one (or more) of the same 40 people who answer every question on this board. Or 99% of the questions.
but it's 99% of the people smarter than me. It's a self-selected few, but it's choice. (See Tracy v. Hepburn.)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Whiskey Dickens Whiskey Dickens is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Exactly. Forget him.

Besides, I'm smarter. If I'm not, let him come out of hiding and challenge me to a lobe-off!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 30,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
An auto da fe? What's an auto da fe?
A special barbecue for heretics/Cecil profaners.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Scumpup Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ask a question on this board and you'll likely be answered by one (or more) of the same 40 people who answer every question on this board. Or 99% of the questions.
Yep.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 PM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 18,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Just because Santa's Helpers are doing a spiffy job is no reason to get rid of Santa.
This answer is so good that Cecil himself coulda writ it.

Spoken as one of the (self-appointed and self-regulating) GQ 40. Membership: If you have to ask, you're not worthy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Channing Idaho Banks Channing Idaho Banks is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_K6FG703nk
South Park: Pat Robertson needs money for an interstellar space ship to bring the glory of Jesus to the godless aliens.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Fenris Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Just because Santa's Helpers are doing a spiffy job is no reason to get rid of Santa.
Also, neither Cecil nor Santa is real
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:27 AM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also, neither Cecil nor Santa is real
I'll bet you're fun at a party.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 AM
Senegoid Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
OP doesn't know "it's" from "its".

Cecil's work is not done here.

It's still taking longer than we thought.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:11 PM
aldiboronti aldiboronti is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ask a question on this board and you'll likely be answered by one (or more) of the same 40 people who answer every question on this board. Or 99% of the questions.
That's unimportant if just a few of that 40 give answers you'd be hard put to find anywhere else. It may be true that the majority of the 40 give answers they found on Google. The fact that at least a dozen or so don't makes this board worthwhile.

And to the OP, Cecil is the reason for the board's existence, the spirit of the place. Yes, it could exist without him, just as Christmas could exist without Santa. It just wouldn't be half as much fun.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:20 PM
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also, neither Cecil nor Santa is real

You have got to be fucking kidding me!! Nobody knew that!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 37,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
An auto da fe? What's an auto da fe?
A guy in Brooklyn who sees da future.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Martini Enfield Martini Enfield is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
That's unimportant if just a few of that 40 give answers you'd be hard put to find anywhere else. It may be true that the majority of the 40 give answers they found on Google. The fact that at least a dozen or so don't makes this board worthwhile.

And to the OP, Cecil is the reason for the board's existence, the spirit of the place. Yes, it could exist without him, just as Christmas could exist without Santa. It just wouldn't be half as much fun.
I've honestly thought the whole Cecil with was more than a bit silly and stopped being "fun" a long time ago.

The character hasn't been on the boards in a long time and I'd be willing to suggest a lot of the posters here (including me) feel zero connection to it.

So yeah, in the spirit of the OP, I think we've definitely outgrown Cecil.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-17-2017, 06:37 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 12,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also, neither Cecil nor Santa is real
Spoiler tags, please.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM
erysichthon erysichthon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
There were two Cecil posts that year, but both of them were gags. The last time he actually participated in a discussion was January 18, 2010!

Speaking as a relative newcomer—at least in comparison to many of the folks here—I always find it weirdly cargo-cultish when Dopers entreat Cecil to tackle some difficult question (and are ignored).
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Beervania
Posts: 52,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
There were two Cecil posts that year, but both of them were gags. The last time he actually participated in a discussion was January 18, 2010!

Speaking as a relative newcomer—at least in comparison to many of the folks here—I always find it weirdly cargo-cultish when Dopers entreat Cecil to tackle some difficult question (and are ignored).
I feel the same way about praying, but if it brings in new rubes and keeps the old ones from straying off out of fond memories, then I see no need to change, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Fenris Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Cecil was a fun fiction to maintain when he participated on the boards, but since he's long gone, the "myth" of Cecil is just tedious.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
There's also the simple fact this board only exists because the Straight Dope column exists.

I don't really see any reason for the pseudonym to be dropped. I don't get how it is tedious, since it's not as if any of us pretend he is a different person anymore. It's just the name that Ed Zotti writes his columns under, due to inheriting a legacy title.

Now, if Ed retires, then maybe it would make sense to revisit whether to retire the pseudonym. But only then.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Whiskey Dickens Whiskey Dickens is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I'll bet you're fun at a party.
Haha, Fenris at a party.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 70,937
Cecil might not participate on the boards any more (not that his participation was ever all that high to begin with), but he still writes a new column every week.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southeast Florida USA
Posts: 18,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
There's also the simple fact this board only exists because the Straight Dope column exists.

I don't really see any reason for the pseudonym to be dropped. I don't get how it is tedious, since it's not as if any of us pretend he is a different person anymore. It's just the name that Ed Zotti writes his columns under, due to inheriting a legacy title.

Now, if Ed retires, then maybe it would make sense to revisit whether to retire the pseudonym. But only then.
I'd say that a little differently than I understood you to mean.

The board was only created after the column existed as a way to cash in on that new-fangled internet thingy back in 99 or whenever.

That the board continues to exist today is all but unrelated to the alternative newspaper column of the same name. Either could live, die, or be rebranded in 2017 with negligible impact on the other.

As you say, Cecil is the pseudonym of the column writer and of the board's manager, if no longer owner. But both the actual and the pseudonymous manager could be replaced or retired tomorrow with no significance to the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.