Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Elections

Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
So now we have:

6/1/18
11/3/17
April 2018 (although I request precise dates be named)
6/27/18
When hell freezes over.

Regards,
Shodan
Advertisements  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM

June 14, 2019.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
I just watched Robert Redford's 2013 documentary revisiting "All The President's Men" (MSNBC ran it over the weekend). Yes, Nixon resigned, and yes, it was because of a Congressional investigation that got the Oval Office tapes and a House vote for impeachment.

But ... both houses of Congress were in Democratic hands. Even though the parties weren't nearly as divided as they are now, that makes a difference (as far as how far the investigations went early on, until even Republicans realized Nixon had gone too far).

And, the biggest influence on the power brokers in the House and Senate was overwhelming public pressure for impeachment, or at least to do something. I don't see that happening with Trump, not without some kind of real, actual, literal smoking gun.

So I don't see resignation in the offing.
I absolutely agree with you that the Republican congress is a significant difference between 2017 and 1973-4. I've been among those who've reminded people of that fact. However, that support comes with qualifications.

As long as they feel safe in maintaining control of congress and being able to pass the legislation that they want to pass, I agree that Trump is safe. The problem is that Trump's behavior is making it increasingly difficult for Republicans to achieve their agenda and quite possibly threatening the House majority next year. The Senate is in no danger if falling to the Democrats unless Trump just causes a massive backlash, which I don't see happening. But the House could be up for grabs. It shouldn't be, but it could.

I agree that we're not yet approaching the moment of impeachment proceedings yet and might not be for sometime. But I do think there will be several bellwethers in the coming weeks. The Georgia congressional race for Tom Price's (and former speaker Newt Gingrich's) seat will be one. And Trump's handling of the probe will be something else to watch.

Last edited by asahi; 06-19-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Or he commits suicide.

No, I don't want that to happen, and I seem to be the only person out there who thinks that's a possibility.
It's possible to argue that Trump is one of those slow-suicide people--takes no exercise and eats junk food. Every time he takes knife and fork to another bucket of KFC or spoon to his vaunted two scoops of ice cream on his pie, it's part of his suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Add me to the list of involuntary removal from office for health reasons.
He's an overweight 71-year-old who eats unhealthy food and gets little exercise. He gets emotionally worked up over relatively minor things. Either a massive heart attack or a major stroke is definitely possible.
If the heart attack doesn't kill him, he may end up resigning because his doctors insist on it. If the stroke doesn't kill him, he may be removed from office by pence or whoever it is that has the authority to remove a severely mentally disabled president from office.
I was curious about what sort of medical care/oversight Trump might be receiving, now. Apparently the official position 'physician to the President/Director of the White House Medical Unit' is still filled by the Navy admiral/M.D. who served Obama:

Quote:
Since July 2013, the Physician to the President has been Navy Captain (later Rear Admiral) Ronny L. Jackson.
The medical unit includes active-duty military physicians as well as several physician assistants, registered nurses, and medics, and support staff including an administrator and a medical information technology manager. Under implementing guidelines for the Twenty-fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution, the WHMU Director is the primary official responsible for advising the President's Cabinet on the ability of the President of the United States to discharge the powers and duties of the office. The final decision, however, rests with the Cabinet as a political, not a medical, decision. The WHMU provides free healthcare to the President, Vice President, and their immediate families ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit

Since this care is free there's no doubt Trump will have parted ways with his former doctor (and eccentric prose stylist) Harold Bornstein. But one wonders what sort of advice Dr. Jackson might be giving the greasy-foods-loving Trump.

eta site with data on Dr. Jackson: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

Last edited by Sherrerd; 06-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: bio info
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezlles View Post
The other side is Trump is arguably the leader of the largest cult in United States history. If he suicides he will be lionized by much of his cult for a very long time. And it is virtually guaranteed there will be a tidal wave of deep state conspiracy theories if he suicides, even if he were to do it in front of everyone ala R Budd Dwyer. Has potential to be scary.
Or he'll find a way to live stream it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Elephant Whisperer

So now we have:

6/1/18
11/3/17
6/27/18
7/20/19
6/14/19

I've disallowed April 2018 due to the lack of a specific date during that month. Let me know if I've missed any other dates amid the chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Question: What did his father die of? How old was he when he died?
Fred Trump died at age 93 of pneumonia after suffering Alzheimer's for six years.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit

Since this care is free there's no doubt Trump will have parted ways with his former doctor (and eccentric prose stylist) Harold Bornstein. But one wonders what sort of advice Dr. Jackson might be giving the greasy-foods-loving Trump.

eta site with data on Dr. Jackson: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953
So, you think he's going to use the guy who can't be ordered to provide the medical evaluation he wants, just because he's already being paid to do the job?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, country mouse!

He'll just stick us with Bornstein's bill.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-23-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM

I'm just a boy with a dream. April 1, 2018.

Side prediction: Once he is no longer in office (regardless of how he leaves it) he will continue to hold "rallies".
Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
He may not have a choice. Richard Nixon was as pugnacious and ruthless as they came and resignation was absolutely the last thing anyone would have ever imagined him doing. But resign he did. If your choice is between being forced out of office through the impeachment process or resignation while claiming that you were the victim of an unfair political witch hunt by the establishment, then the latter might seem like winning, especially if he can fire up his most loyal and unhinged of supporters. Mind you, I don't think he goes down with a bitter and vicious fight. But he could still get pushed out.
There is a vast difference between Nixon and Trump.
Nixon was crooked; Trump is crazy. Nixon knew when the game was up, and was already plotting the rehabilitation of his career. Trump knows no such cleverness, or nuance. Nixon was guy who was paranoid, and insecure, but arguably meant well. Trump is a narcissist who cares for one but Trump, and Trump's image. Trump would never resign.

Now, if this investigation gets more intense, given his age and obesity, I can see him dying suddenly like Harding did, Pence taking over, and narrowly winning a term of his own because the Democrats don't really have anyone worthwhile to put forward.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
So, you think he's going to use the guy who can't be ordered to provide the medical evaluation he wants, just because he's already being paid to do the job?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, country mouse!
He'll just stick us with Bornstein's bill.
I agree that if Trump HAD to have an exam, he'd be likely to bypass the official White House physician in favor of one who'd say he was The Healthiest Evah---with bonus points for a doctor who'd pad the bill massively and (this is crucial) cut Trump in on the taxpayer-funded action.

But of course Trump is under no sort of obligation or requirement to have any medical attention or examination whatsoever.

Looking at this topic online, it was interesting to see the chatty articles from years past about whether You, The Reader, should get an exam as thorough as that given W this year or Obama that year....but no one back then was thinking 'this guy has got to show us some sort of proof that he's not either deep into Alzheimer's or about to have a coronary while his hand is hovering over the launch button.'

The odds are that unless it can be made into a payday for him, Trump won't let any doctor examine him.

As for the thread topic: I keep thinking about all those money-laundering investigations and the high likelihood of Trump's having violated numerous federal and state laws during the unsavory course of his attempts to Be A Real Billionaire. Maybe Trump can't be tried for any such crimes while he's President. And maybe Trump doesn't care all that much whether his sons are indicted.

But Trump would care if his business 'empire' were to be exposed as a shabby, rickety house of cards propped up with dirty mob and oligarch money---and it were to be completely dismantled while all his lieutenants (and sons, possibly) end up in prison. What Trump would care about would be his image, of course--not the 'don't bend over in the shower' fates of those who've worked for him.

Mueller is a Republican, but he's not a Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan-style Republican. He might see it has his patriotic duty to proceed, instead of quashing. If so--and if progress continues to be leaked and publicized--and if it looked quite certain that the Trump Organization were to be stripped down to a humiliating level--

---IF it got to that point, then Trump would be pushed to do something that would force him to resign.

I believe he's capable of responding to such a situation by committing a clear-cut crime ---possibly trying to hire someone to use violence, if simply trying to fire Mueller showed no signs of actually stopping the investigation (if, say, those under Mueller were steadfast in continuing). And Trump would do it ineptly enough that it would become known, and it would be, at that point, impossible for Ryan, McConnell and the rest to go on supporting him--they'd have to call for impeachment.

At that point Trump would either resign or have that fatal aneurysm or infarction.

I think this is less than a year away. So I'll go for Friday, 25 May 2018.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:53 AM

I doubt he will resign, but I seriously doubt he'll see the end of the term. My prediction is he'll be removed from office before then by force, somehow.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Trump will serve until noon on Inauguration Day 2021.

No clue who will be sworn in that day though.
I predict Donald Trump. Unless he dies in office, he'll serve two terms.

This Salon article nails it: Wake Up Liberals, There will be no Blue Wave, no majority in '18, and no Impeachment.

Personally, I think the Dems have the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen. There is no one on this planet that could drive a Dem to vote for Trump. Literally no one. So the DNC can run anyone they want without worrying how their base will vote. So why not run someone who appeals to disaffected Republicans?
Three simple steps:
1. Find a slightly-left-of-center moderate white guy who's 55 and has good hair;
2. Make sure he's never uttered a word about abortion or gun control;
3. Enjoy electoral victory.

But I doubt if Perez/DNC will do that, so I predict Trump for the full 8.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Or he commits suicide.

No, I don't want that to happen, and I seem to be the only person out there who thinks that's a possibility.
Impossible. Narcissism totally rejects such a thing. He is surrounded by yes-man and ass lickers and pussy to be grabbed. TrumpTards gather to praise his name at rallies. Everything else is annoying noise. Any pig stupid thing he does, he gets praise, even if he should march down Pennsylvania Avenue pantsless with an American flag stuck in his huge orange buttocks. Suicide?? More chance of his quietly resigning, with a big apology to the whole world, and checking himself into a posh mental hospital.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Impossible. Narcissism totally rejects such a thing. He is surrounded by yes-man and ass lickers and pussy to be grabbed. TrumpTards gather to praise his name at rallies. Everything else is annoying noise. Any pig stupid thing he does, he gets praise, even if he should march down Pennsylvania Avenue pantsless with an American flag stuck in his huge orange buttocks. Suicide?? More chance of his quietly resigning, with a big apology to the whole world, and checking himself into a posh mental hospital.
I think it'll be a triple fake.

We will hear in the news that he died from natural causes, him being an old man in poor health and all. His followers will be distraught, but they will carry on in his name, redoubling their efforts.

We will all suspect that he committed suicide, because that's the easy way out.

In reality, it will have been Pence and Ryan who poisoned his delicious chocolate cake to get him out of the way in a more politically expedient manner.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
This is what I think, too.

We'll be fortunate if he can be dragged kicking and screaming from the Oval Office without punching the nuclear codes on his way out. When it all starts to get real, I fully expect him to fire Mueller just to see what happens. Anything to delay the inevitable, and he'll sacrifice anyone and anything that aids in his removal.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM

No way. He's on the ultimate ego trip, and gets all kinds of perks. If he doesn't want to work, he just goes off on another golf weekend or feeds more of his five-hours-a-day cable news habit.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Regardeth Shodan:

When hell freezes over.
That happened last November.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
There's something even more powerful than his narcissism in donald. He seems to be pushing for some kind of annihilation. He may think it's for "others" but it's clearly for himself.

At the very least his grasp on reality is going to get him in legal trouble.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 AM

I want to play.

My guess is that he will resign within 60 days of when the Mueller investigation presents its findings.

I'll say 0ctober 12, 2017. Which is scientifically based on wishful thinking.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Any more takers after today's disgraceful performance?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Any more takers after today's disgraceful performance?
Sure. I will double down on my previous prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Trump will serve until noon on Inauguration Day 2021.

No clue who will be sworn in that day though.
I'm going to change that last sentence - Trump will be sworn in for a second term.

We are a nation of racists and white supremacists. I've seen nothing to make me think things will get better and loads that make me think it will only get worse.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 PM

I've said from the beginning that he won't last out the year. When pressed for an exact day, I'll say December 28. Because he's such a "good" "Christian", the Senate will let him celebrate Christmas in the White House before giving him the axe.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM

I don't Trump resigning. He is among the most powerful men in the world. Why would he give up that power? Did he quit the race because of criticism? No.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
Not gonna happen.
I'm not so sure. While resigning would be a blow to Trump's ego, he DOES have a history of ragequitting things or walking away when he loses interest. I put it at 75% against, 25 for.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Nov. 23, 2017 (Thanksgiving Day) but first they'll Agnew Pence.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy Mercury View Post
I'm not so sure. While resigning would be a blow to Trump's ego, he DOES have a history of ragequitting things or walking away when he loses interest. I put it at 75% against, 25 for.
If the Republicans are smart, they give Trump an out. A way to resign but still claim to have won (whatever the hell that means). He doesn't want to do this job, but he can't lose either.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
If the Republicans are smart, they give Trump an out. A way to resign but still claim to have won (whatever the hell that means).
What, like a seat on the Supreme Court?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:35 PM

I was thinking more like an excuse that they provide for him. Democrats won't allow Trump to make America Great Again, and for the good of the country he is resigning and Pence will leave America in good hands.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Nov. 23, 2017 (Thanksgiving Day) but first they'll Agnew Pence.
The key decisionmaker here looks like Mueller. If he (very discreetly) tells Kelly, Ryan, and a few others that he's got the goods on both Trump and Pence or will soon, then there's going to be a brawl to work out just who gets the job after they both resign. The good news for the GOP would be that they'd get to do it while they still control the House.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:46 PM

The 12th of Never. To resign would be to admit that he is wrong. And he will never do that. Never.

This sums it up well:
Quote:
The narcissist is never, ever wrong, and he likes to present “proof” that he is correct. The narcissist cannot accept responsibility for making a mistake and he is expert at diverting the blame to others – (“It’s not my fault. I lost that promotion because my team let me down”, “You were acting so stupid-you made me hit you.”, “If you weren’t so cold, I wouldn’t have had that affair”). A narcissist will never admit even horrendous mistakes and when confronted, he will deflect, delay and tell more lies. He believes he is invincible and perfect....

The Narcissistic Life
As I've said before, the ONLY way he would resign is if resignation could be spun into a winning position and everyone else into losers. As for being besieged, Trump has said that he thrives on conflict. Everything to him is a war, a contest, a battle-- even a simple handshake. He has to win a handshake. Think about it. This man is mentally ill and not normal. He will not behave like a normal person
Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more like an excuse that they provide for him. Democrats won't allow Trump to make America Great Again, and for the good of the country he is resigning and Pence will leave America in good hands.
So Pence is an insurance policy?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 PM

I don't see Trump resigning unless he works out some sort of promise with Pence to have himself pardoned (not withstanding the possibility he might at least try to pardon himself).

I don't see Trump resigning, though, for the simple fact that doing so means he is at the mercy of the law, and he doesn't want that. He wants to shut down the investigation, which represents a clear and present danger to him and his family. Right now would be a terrible time to do that obviously, but let's say he can negotiate and work out a deal with NK. Let's say he can get tax reform passed. Let's say Fox News bullies McConnell into submission and does away with the filibuster and he can get other legislation passed too. Or let's say things get quiet for a while. Maybe then he shuts it down.

But if nothing works, if Trump is regarded as a failure by his own party, especially the House, then I think he works out a deal with Pence and gets a pardon. A pardon would be popular with Trump's base, which he'd need to have a chance at reelection.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
As I've said before, the ONLY way he would resign is if resignation could be spun into a winning position and everyone else into losers. As for being besieged, Trump has said that he thrives on conflict. Everything to him is a war, a contest, a battle-- even a simple handshake. He has to win a handshake. Think about it. This man is mentally ill and not normal. He will not behave like a normal person
I'm not going to put money on it for this current shitstorm, but it's getting close. And when he feels cornered, it's going to be all bets off. I agree, resignation just isn't in the buffoon's character. It will be a Paranoiac(thanks Mooch)meltdown of mind-blowing proportions, throwing blame and accusations, real and delusional, in an airing of grievances that will scorch earth and burn bridges unlike anything someone looking from a rational perspective can imagine.

When he goes there will be no gentleman's agreement.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
If the Republicans are smart, they give Trump an out.
A chalice of poison would suffice.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:11 AM

He is too egotistical to resign.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I'm not going to put money on it for this current shitstorm, but it's getting close. And when he feels cornered, it's going to be all bets off. I agree, resignation just isn't in the buffoon's character. It will be a Paranoiac(thanks Mooch)meltdown of mind-blowing proportions, throwing blame and accusations, real and delusional, in an airing of grievances that will scorch earth and burn bridges unlike anything someone looking from a rational perspective can imagine.

When he goes there will be no gentleman's agreement.
Looks like your prophesy is already starting to become true:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/17/trum...ttesville.html
Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If the Republicans are smart, they give Trump an out.
I don't think the Secret Service would let them leave a pistol with one bullet on his desk.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Count me in with the people who say he's not going to resign. I see the following outcomes, from most likely to least likely.

1. He serves his 4 years but loses in 2020.

2. He serves 2 full terms.

3. He is impeached and convicted.

4. He has a major health event (physical, not psychological) and is removed via the 25th amendment process.

5. He dies in office.

Resigning? No chance. His ego is to big for that.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM

The end may come sooner than we think. I don't always agree with Cenk Uyger, but I sure hope he's right. Objectively, you can't deny that Dumb Donald has no friends in Washington. Privately, Republicans say that he's an embarrassment and completely unqualified for office. Corporate heads are a little freer than elected officials, they've already jumped ship. Uyger is correct- he has no allies left. It will happen, and soon.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
The end may come sooner than we think. I don't always agree with Cenk Uyger, but I sure hope he's right. Objectively, you can't deny that Dumb Donald has no friends in Washington. Privately, Republicans say that he's an embarrassment and completely unqualified for office. Corporate heads are a little freer than elected officials, they've already jumped ship. Uyger is correct- he has no allies left. It will happen, and soon.
ROTFLMAO. Cuz Cenk Uygur has such a great track record in his predictions.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okrahoma View Post
ROTFLMAO. Cuz Cenk Uygur has such a great track record in his predictions.
He was one of the few that said Orangeanus might win.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Trump's biographer agrees.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM

I've been among the most anxiety-stricken posters here when it comes to the odds of Trump's being driven from office, but I don't think he's ever been lower in terms of support. And it's to the point know where, increasingly, there is absolutely no middle ground. Trump is leaving less and less room for the voters who thought "Yeah he's an asshole but let's just give this guy a chance to pleasantly surprise us."

I think we can credit the Mueller investigation for this. He's being driven into a corner and no longer trusts any part of the system to be fair to him and his family, so like a true dictator, he's trying to destroy the system. But that's an extreme step that even many Republicans don't seem to be on board with. This is especially true in the Senate, where Republicans represent not just crazies but also more moderate voting blocs as well. So dialing up the crazy won't work there like it could in the House.

So the question is, what gives? It's a matter now of whether Trump's grassroots 'fuck the system' support in the House can withstand the forces against him. And if that's going to happen, Trump needs to start racking up some legislative and/or foreign policy wins fast.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Count me in with the people who say he's not going to resign. I see the following outcomes, from most likely to least likely.

1. He serves his 4 years but loses in 2020.

2. He serves 2 full terms.

3. He is impeached and convicted.

4. He has a major health event (physical, not psychological) and is removed via the 25th amendment process.

5. He dies in office.

Resigning? No chance. His ego is to big for that.

2 is a LOT lower than 3 4 & 5. I have no idea why people keep thinking this, unless they simply think voter supression en masse will carry the day for him. If he does run, it will be the worst landslide loss (for him) probably in the history of the country.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

He will resign before he gives his enemies the satisfaction of impeaching him - just like he dissolved his business advisory counsels once everyone started to quit. Resigning would be a humiliation he could spin into a victory, but impeachment would be harder.

He'd resign, blame Democrats and RINOs and the Washington swamp, and go back to enjoy all the money he made as President on the back of taxpayers.

I think what will precipitate his downfall will not be his incompetence but a revelation of shady financial dealings when his tax returns are finally exposed and examined as part of the Russia collusion investigation. But that wont be until at least next spring, so I'd say July 2018.

That's the second most likely scenario. The most likely, sadly, is that he'll be in office until noon on 1/20/21.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM

I think the one thing that would make him resign is if he knew he was going to go to prison, and that there was no escape and no wiggle room. That's the one loss and humiliation that he could not spin into a win. Even if he blames everyone else (and he surely will), the old familiar picture of a tycoon/wheeler-dealer being bundled off in handcuffs is not something he would allow to happen. And once that picture is snapped, shared, and seared onto the internet it would be there forever.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM

I don't think he'll resign, though if he does it will be a completely impulsive decision, announced via tweet, that catches everyone off guard. (And of course it will be everyone else's fault, never his.) While I find it hard to believe he'll serve one full term, much less two, I think stroking out or impeachment are more likely.

But there is a remote chance he'll resign, I suppose. So put me down for October 22, 2018.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I don't think he'll resign, though if he does it will be a completely impulsive decision, announced via tweet, that catches everyone off guard.
"Inarguably the best State Of The Union address ever."
Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 PM

Being president is the best protection he has, there is zero chance he quits. They will have to drag him kicking and screaming even if he loses in 2020.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM

A presidential resignation is as public an admission of failure as one can get. That does not seem in character for Trump.

Impeachment and conviction seem unlikely as well with Republicans in charge of Congress. It certainly is possible that some lower level aides will face legal difficulties stemming from all the investigations. I would assume that if any of their last names or spouses' last names are "Trump," the President will pardon them. This in turn will generate more controversy and accusations (but no legal charges) of obstructing justice.

I see Trump finishing out his first term; nevertheless - and despite all current appearances to the contrary - I do not think he will run for re-election. This will allow him to leave on his own terms, while declaring he has made America great again. He will of course continue to troll both parties via Twitter and the media will continue to give his tweets attention they do not merit. More incompetence and attempted maneuverings of dubious legality/morality/ethics will come to light in the aftermath of Trump's departure. With Trump effectively forced out of politics, pundits will congratulate the country for "working."

Trump voters will continue to lack essential critical thinking skills inclining them to choose poorly in future national and state elections.

NOTE: All of this assumes no one will succeed in assassinating Trump before mid-2019.