The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Yoko extends copyright on Imagine lyrics by 37+ years

Song writing credit

It's not the money that bothers me -- we can afford to pay -- Nor the shear cynical opportunism -- God knows I would do the same.

It's just that I think most of the value of an iconic piece of art is what we give it. The audience, not the song writers. It's a song that belongs to the people, because the people created the value she is capitalizing.
Advertisements  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM

If she gets more credit for her ideas I can't see it as a bad thing.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=828762

Last edited by bobot; 06-19-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
It's just that I think most of the value of an iconic piece of art is what we give it. The audience, not the song writers. It's a song that belongs to the people, because the people created the value she is capitalizing.
Yeah, fuck Guernica.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
. . . It's just that I think most of the value of an iconic piece of art is what we give it. The audience, not the song writers. It's a song that belongs to the people, because the people created the value she is capitalizing.
At what precise point does the song I wrote transition into being a song that "belongs to the people?" After how many sales?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
At what precise point does the song I wrote transition into being a song that "belongs to the people?" After how many sales?
About 14 years, in an ideal world. That's more than enough time to make as much money as you can off of it, without stifling the creative process which always takes from the old and makes the new out of it.

The only other system I support would be one where you have to pay to keep up the copyright, or keep a certain level of sales on a commercial product. Though that does give already rich people more power, which is the entire problem of capitalism in a nutshell--if everyone started out with equal money, capitalism would be a much, much better system.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

As far as "the people" are concerned, people pretty much have free access to it already. I cat imagine (hey!) anyone paying for the privilege to hear said song.

At this point, the only people paying for it are movie producers and perhaps advertisers. And if that is indeed the case, it seems rather fitting for Yoko to re-up on the copyright.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 AM

"It was in fact Paul who played the Salieri to John's Mozart." Hmpf!!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If she gets more credit for her ideas I can't see it as a bad thing.
if it means fewer performances of the song, it's a great thing.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
About 14 years, in an ideal world. That's more than enough time to make as much money as you can off of it, without stifling the creative process which always takes from the old and makes the new out of it.
Please explain how stealing a work is creative. And your characterization of the "creative process" is clearly a sign that you don't do any creative work.

If you mean recording it yourself, you're certainly allowed to do that right now (and have ever since the song was released). BMI lists it as one of the 100 most performed songs of the 20th Century. You just have to pay, and in most venues, that's paid for by the venue.

If you mean making changes to the lyrics, you can do that, too.

Basically, you're saying, "I can't come up with anything original, so I want to be able to use another artist's work and profit from it."
Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Please explain how stealing a work is creative. And your characterization of the "creative process" is clearly a sign that you don't do any creative work.

If you mean recording it yourself, you're certainly allowed to do that right now (and have ever since the song was released). BMI lists it as one of the 100 most performed songs of the 20th Century. You just have to pay, and in most venues, that's paid for by the venue.

Basically, you're saying, "I can't come up with anything original, so I want to be able to use another artist's work and profit from it."
No, dummy. Stuff they like belongs to the people. Of course, as I always say, people are idiots.

Notice that people never want to take responsibility for stuff they don't like. They only want the good half of the equation. Creators are obviously too stupid to understand this basic fact. Girls just want to have fun. I like that so I'm stealing it from Robert Hazard. It's been more than 14 years after all.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

The law is what it is, and I can't fault Ono for exercising properly available rights.

There is a certain artistic irony, however, in extending the copyright on this particular song, given that it is about imagining "no possessions."
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
At this point, the only people paying for it are movie producers and perhaps advertisers.
What? Every time it gets played on the radio, in a supermarket, in a karaoke bar, in a restaurant, in an elevator, it generates royalties. I guarantee you there's truckloads of money still rolling in from that song.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Since she should have been credited for the song from the beginning, this doesn't really extend the copyright protection. It merely acknowledges what it should have been from day 1. It's not like this is a loophole being exploited to extend copyright beyond its natural length (unless you feel that she doesn't deserve credit at all).
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I really like the version A Perfect Circle did. changed the meaning of the song without altering a single word in the lyrics.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post
What? Every time it gets played on the radio, in a supermarket, in a karaoke bar, in a restaurant, in an elevator, it generates royalties. I guarantee you there's truckloads of money still rolling in from that song.
Right. My main point is: Us common folk (the people), don't have to pay to listen to the song. The only people paying for it are business folk (Or "The Establishment" man...).
Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Before copyright, artists were peasants who did what wealthy patrons told them to do.

Personally, I think art was better in those days, but most professional artists would disagree.

Without copyright, the radio would not play your and my favorite songs. It would play George Soros' and the Koch brothers' favorite songs.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, you can argue that current copyright terms are too long, or based on irrational premises, but that's really a completely separate issue from Ono being given credit on this song. If she really was a co-author (a point on which there seems to be no informed disagreement), then she should have the same rights that the other co-author would, were he still alive.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Since she should have been credited for the song from the beginning, this doesn't really extend the copyright protection. It merely acknowledges what it should have been from day 1. It's not like this is a loophole being exploited to extend copyright beyond its natural length (unless you feel that she doesn't deserve credit at all).
But the estate of the late John Lenin fought it in court! ... oh wait, that didn't happen ...
Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

And Vladimir Lennon didn't fight it, either.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Without copyright, the radio would not play your and my favorite songs. It would play George Soros' and the Koch brothers' favorite songs.
As is, they play Clear Channel's and Infinity's favorite songs but that's another matter.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM

84 years old and she extends the copyright for 50 years.

Causing headaches for anybody that wants to perform this sentimental relic of the anti war movement.

I think that's why she got songwriting credit. Its yet another copyright strategy.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-21-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I think that's why she got songwriting credit. Its yet another copyright strategy.
Except it won't extend the copyright at all

Quote:
While Israelite initially said that adding Ono to the credits would extend the period of time before the song enters the public domain, he later corrected himself and noted that because the song was published in 1971, the life of its copyright lasts 95 years after publication not the current law, instituted in 1978, which extends the copyright 70 years after the death of the last author. Adding Ono as a writer will not extend the life of its copyright.
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/yok...ne-1202466645/
Old 06-21-2017, 02:47 PM

Ok, ignorance fought.

Geez that's a long time. Imho 50 years is long enough to collect from old work.
Any heirs can earn their own $$$$.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:36 PM

The OP sounds like a Huffington Post article. While not technically incorrect, it completely misrepresents the original article in a fashion that is designed to push a point.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Except it won't extend the copyright at all
Besides, it's a bit hard to imagine that a lot of people were really longing for the song to enter public domain in 2051.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
The OP sounds like a Huffington Post article. While not technically incorrect, it completely misrepresents the original article in a fashion that is designed to push a point.
Well, perhaps I'll have to start reading Huffington Post then. Do they carry a lot of entertainment news?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Please explain how stealing a work is creative.
Please explain how extracting rent is creative.

(And, no, I'm not talking about landlords.)

We have limited-term copyrights for a reason: Eventually, the free-loading ends. The free ride is over, and the corporation has to become productive, not just extractive. A single person being able to live for a lifetime off of one or two successful works is acceptable, given that having works that successful is akin to winning the lottery. Their heirs living off of, not just investments, but continued royalties is pointless. We're no longer rewarding creativity with a large admixture of luck, we're rewarding pure luck, completely untainted by any productive impulse.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Please explain how extracting rent is creative.

(And, no, I'm not talking about landlords.)

We have limited-term copyrights for a reason: Eventually, the free-loading ends. The free ride is over, and the corporation has to become productive, not just extractive. A single person being able to live for a lifetime off of one or two successful works is acceptable, given that having works that successful is akin to winning the lottery. Their heirs living off of, not just investments, but continued royalties is pointless. We're no longer rewarding creativity with a large admixture of luck, we're rewarding pure luck, completely untainted by any productive impulse.
We're back to just haggling about length. Almost nobody worth listening to claims that no copyrights should exist. (And I have my doubts about the "almost" but perhaps someone could provide the exception I've never found.) Copyright has already been longer than patents because the useful life of a creative work is on average longer than the useful life of a technological innovation and over time the life of the former keeps getting longer while the life of the latter keeps growing shorter. Creators certainly should be able to provide for their children and heirs just as the owner of any other business should.

The people who squawk about copyrights would do so if copyright were back at the 28+28 length it used to be. I've stated on this Board I thought that was a good length. The world has changed, though. The ability to upload every piece of creative work to the Internet makes copyright enforcement nearly meaningless at the same time it has made every piece of creative work forever valuable. Copyright needs to be completely rethought from scratch.

Cutting it's length isn't the answer. It's not in the top 100 of concerns.