Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The important thing is that both sides do it.
The important thing to remember is that both sides do it, but some Democrats, or maybe some Hillary-worshippers, demand that the other side must stop. Maybe they don't like the competition?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
The important thing to remember is that both sides do it, but some Democrats, or maybe some Hillary-worshippers, demand that the other side must stop. Maybe they don't like the competition?
What a stunningly disingenuous comment.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Just like in 2012 when House Democrats won about 1.4 million more votes than Republicans. This resulted in house seats being split 234 - 201 in favor of the Republicans. Wait.. what?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

doorhinge, I think you must have made a copy-paste mistake in post #50. You quote me, but then what you said after that has nothing at all to do with what I said in the quote. What were you intending to say?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
The redistricting happened after the 2010 census, and affected the 2012 elections. (REDMAP provides a clear description of the strategy to focus on those state races.) But actually, I really was referring more to the kind of the voters they rely on, as part of successful redistricting and House control, (as well as to get out the vote). It is because of their debt to this base, for example, that they're willing to rush through poorly designed bills to replace the ACA at any cost. Even if they wanted to, Democrats wouldn't be able to generate votes from a base with that much success. Yes, everyone tries to benefit from redistricting, but the Republicans shrewdly took it to a whole new level, and have been riding the wave of that windfall since.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 AM

Another one apparently quitting.
Quote:
In a sign of mounting frustration among Republicans in Washington, Representative Pat Tiberi of Ohio, a senior lawmaker with close ties to his party’s leaders, is expected to resign and take up an executive post with a business group in his home state, according to three Republicans briefed on his plans.
One who's not planning to go, but probably should.
Quote:
Mississippi GOP Sen. Thad Cochran insists that he is not retiring from Congress, despite widespread speculation about the veteran lawmaker’s health and political future.
The 79-year-old Cochran appeared frail and at times disoriented during a brief hallway interview on Wednesday. He was unable to answer whether he would remain chairman of the Appropriations Committee, and at one point, needed a staffer to remind him where the Senate chamber is located.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Jeff Flake not running for reelection.

ETA: I'm listening to him live right now. He's slamming Trumpism.

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 10-24-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Jeff Flake not running for reelection.

ETA: I'm listening to him live right now. He's slamming Trumpism.
Much talk of fighting back and not letting the savages win. Without him. Flake is flaking out.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM

Arizona already looked like a winnable Senate seat for the Democrats -- now it looks even better. The very slim chances of a Democratic takeover of the Senate are now slightly less slim.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Much talk of fighting back and not letting the savages win. Without him. Flake is flaking out.
He won't be leaving till his term ends in January 2019, right? So he can stick around sticking spanners in the Trump works for over a year without fear of electoral blowback.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Arizona already looked like a winnable Senate seat for the Democrats -- now it looks even better. The very slim chances of a Democratic takeover of the Senate are now slightly less slim.
I dunno. If you count up total votes for Congress in 2016, Arizona Republicans got a lot more than Arizona Democrats. More people voted in the Republican presidential primary than the Democratic presidential primary, as well. Hillary actually did a lot better than the down-ballot numbers would have suggested, and she still lost the state by something like 90,000 votes.

Whether it's Kelli Ward or someone else, all the Republican candidate will need to do is just get Republicans to show up.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I dunno. If you count up total votes for Congress in 2016, Arizona Republicans got a lot more than Arizona Democrats. More people voted in the Republican presidential primary than the Democratic presidential primary, as well. Hillary actually did a lot better than the down-ballot numbers would have suggested, and she still lost the state by something like 90,000 votes.

Whether it's Kelli Ward or someone else, all the Republican candidate will need to do is just get Republicans to show up.
I think a closer look at the numbers show that there are lots of likely Democrats who didn't show up in the last election, so if they can be motivated, there's a decent opportunity. Not a sure thing by any means, but more than a sliver of a chance, IMO.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I think a closer look at the numbers show that there are lots of likely Democrats who didn't show up in the last election, so if they can be motivated, there's a decent opportunity. Not a sure thing by any means, but more than a sliver of a chance, IMO.
You think you're going to get people to vote in the midterms who didn't vote in the presidential election? Good luck with that!

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about any individual voters. I'm talking about the net vote.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-24-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
You think you're going to get people to vote in the midterms who didn't vote in the presidential election? Good luck with that!

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about any individual voters. I'm talking about the net vote.
We'll see, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened in 06, at least relatively speaking, IIRC.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-24-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
We'll see, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened in 06, at least relatively speaking, IIRC.
My recollection of 2006 is not that more Democrats showed up than normal, but that independent voters swung to the Democrats, over dissatisfaction with the war in Iraq and a large number of GOP scandals. Of course, that could certainly happen in this case too.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 AM

Marsha Blackburn, running for the GOP senate seat in Tennessee, has (or had) close ties to a neo confederate defender of slavery, inviting him to give an invocation to congress:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/mars...er-to-congress

No longer shocked by all the close ties between Republicans in office and white supremacists, but still saddened.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Marsha Blackburn, running for the GOP senate seat in Tennessee, has (or had) close ties to a neo confederate defender of slavery, inviting him to give an invocation to congress:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/mars...er-to-congress

No longer shocked by all the close ties between Republicans in office and white supremacists, but still saddened.
It's only going to get worse. The white nationalists have been encouraged since Trump won the GOP convention. The improbable victory of someone who, while probably not really a white nationalist himself, still used white nationalism as a major galvanizing force in his campaign, emboldened them even more. I wasn't being hyperbolic when I pointed out on election night that we could see the return of the Jim Crow era. Maybe not everywhere, but in certain parts of the country. People don't see it yet because it's still just rhetoric, but pretty soon, if unchecked, rhetoric will become devastating racist policy.

And it's worth repeating: the progressives are splintering. There is no united opposition against them. Progressives and even independents are bound by disapproval of Trump but on little else. Factions create a vacuum that can be filled by groups on the fringes. America is more of a conservative country than a progressive one. The right wing fringes, if well organized and financed well enough, can win. And they can be terrifying.

Last edited by asahi; 11-03-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:03 AM

Two more House Republicans decided not to run again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
The representatives, Frank A. LoBiondo of New Jersey and Ted Poe of Texas, made their announcements within hours of each other and added their names to a growing list of Republicans bowing out before the midterm elections. The rush of retirements has led some, particularly eager Democrats, to believe that the House of Representatives could look very different in 2019.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

I really am curious how tonight’s results will affect political calculus in DC.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
I really am curious how tonight’s results will affect political calculus in DC.
Last night was a moment in time. A good sign for the democrats but a lot can happen between now and next November.

Last night was the first warning sign for the GOP and the first sign that made me even remotely hopeful. Also good to know that the progressive movement and Democrats can survive some infighting.

The Mueller investigation is going to force Trump's hand. He will be tempted to shut it down but he is running out of time to do that without his party facing some serious political consequences. They'll also need to pass tax reform and if they can't even do that - and it's looking less and less likely - then the GOP will go home next year with having total governmental control on the one hand while having accomplished absolutely nothing legislatively. That would be a titanic disaster for the GOP heading into next fall.