Old 09-30-2017, 02:16 PM

The new theme's behavior on the logo is the norm on forums, as far as I can tell. I suspect changing that requires changing some default.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:49 PM

So let's get it CHANGED. I've mentioned it before. It used to be the easy way to get to the main page for things like searching for a thread someone was referencing.

-- Sauron, in his blog
Old 09-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
And zapped again. Happening more often, it seems like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
It's my understanding that this is an underlying problem in the version of vBulletin that we are using. It's unrelated to the new mobile skin options.
Oh. Okay. Fix it!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted spoilers are shown open instead of closed.

Hey, I just noticed another BUG that I don't recall anyone has mentioned yet. (To be sure, I haven't read this entire thread.)

When a post with a spoiler is quoted, and the quote includes the spoiler, the spoiler is shown OPEN in the quote box, not closed. The "Show" button is present, but doesn't do anything.

This is serious. Spoilers shouldn't be shown until the user clicks on "Show" -- even when the spoiler is part of a quote box. Here's an example that I found here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
I wonder if this is how the thread would've played out if the comments were made by a conservative commentator, about Democrats.

SPOILER:
It's the SDMB. I don't wonder this at all.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Yep. Already covered, and I even told them what they needed to do to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And this fixes Spoilers inside quotes:
div[style*="display: none"] { display: none !important; }

Last edited by BigT; 10-04-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:17 PM

You ever get the sense that TPTB have... well, if not "given up"... at least "severely de-prioritized" fixing SultanTheme because the original skin is now available? The fact that BigT has identified working fixes and provided them, but they're not being implemented... tells me that the new skin isn't being fixed any longer, or under the terms of the original implementation contract (that was paying for the contractor tech to set up the new theme).

No urgency. "WONTFIX Workaround available"

Just guessin' here. TPTB don't owe us much in the way of insight into their site development process, so all we can do is speculate.

Last edited by gnoitall; 10-04-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Totally minor and inconsequential: "The Straight Dope" logo at the top of the page - the hyperlink used to take you to the home page for The Straight Dope, but now brings you to the SDMB main page.

It's nice to be able to just click the SD logo and be brought to the home page, if one wishes to just do some reading after looking thru the SDMB.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I am curious to know why any of you are using the new version. At the very start of the change, as soon as I could, I reverted to the original and never thought of trying the new one once I saw some of the problems, so I don't really see what's the benefit of the new one. Educate me?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Totally minor and inconsequential: "The Straight Dope" logo at the top of the page - the hyperlink used to take you to the home page for The Straight Dope, but now brings you to the SDMB main page.

It's nice to be able to just click the SD logo and be brought to the home page, if one wishes to just do some reading after looking thru the SDMB.
Already covered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It just does that on the new skin. The old version takes you to the Straight Dope home page. Down on the bottom, next to the theme chooser, though, there is a link to the home page.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I am curious to know why any of you are using the new version. At the very start of the change, as soon as I could, I reverted to the original and never thought of trying the new one once I saw some of the problems, so I don't really see what's the benefit of the new one. Educate me?
I presume because the old version sucks on mobile (except on some Apple devices, suggesting Apple has worked around the problem somehow). The old mobile solution, Tapatalk, is becoming progressively worse. (Heck, that's why I think Ed decided to update the board in the first place.)

It's also why I don't just tell them "Try my userscript. I've fixed all that." As far as I know, there is only one browser where Userscripts actually work, and that is the obscure Dolphin Browser, which has a TamperMonkey extension. (Firefox has one, too, but I've never gotten it to work.)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
It's much better on mobile, but there aren't many benefits on desktop. I like seeing location and post counts for guests. I think it has the potential to be a better interface, if they'd fix the remaining problems.

I'm using it mostly because I work in software and I'm endlessly frustrated by users who resist any change, so I feel like I have to eat the dog food and live with change that is foisted on me. Before everyone jumps on me, I'm not arguing that people who returned to the old skin are resistant to change - there are some real problems with the new skin, both aesthetically and functionally. But every new visitor to the site, and most existing visitors who haven't seen the posts about changing the skin or can't be bothered, will see it. So I'll use it and continue to complain about the things that need to be fixed.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
It's much better on mobile, but there aren't many benefits on desktop. I like seeing location and post counts for guests. I think it has the potential to be a better interface, if they'd fix the remaining problems.

I'm using it mostly because I work in software and I'm endlessly frustrated by users who resist any change, so I feel like I have to eat the dog food and live with change that is foisted on me. Before everyone jumps on me, I'm not arguing that people who returned to the old skin are resistant to change - there are some real problems with the new skin, both aesthetically and functionally. But every new visitor to the site, and most existing visitors who haven't seen the posts about changing the skin or can't be bothered, will see it. So I'll use it and continue to complain about the things that need to be fixed.
I'm glad you acknowledge the distinction. Not all "defenders of the new" do that, systematically deriding "stick-in-the-muds" for hating "having their cheese moved."

See also Windows 8.

Yes. There are important things objectively broke, as well as other things subjectively but persuasively broke, in the new theme. It has great potential, but I don't feel any ethical obligation to beta test on behalf of SDMB. I flip the toggle every few days to see if there's been any movement, but until my buglist is addressed I'm sticking with the old skin, because the new skin solves no problem I have but currently creates others.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
You ever get the sense that TPTB have... well, if not "given up"... at least "severely de-prioritized" fixing SultanTheme because the original skin is now available? The fact that BigT has identified working fixes and provided them, but they're not being implemented... tells me that the new skin isn't being fixed any longer, or under the terms of the original implementation contract (that was paying for the contractor tech to set up the new theme).

No urgency. "WONTFIX Workaround available"

Just guessin' here. TPTB don't owe us much in the way of insight into their site development process, so all we can do is speculate.
We haven't given up, but it's fair to say fixing the remaining problems with the SultanTheme skin has taken a lower priority while we take care of other issues. One such issue is getting the ads working. I realize no one is enthusiastic about ads but they're how we keep the lights on. We hope to get the necessary code loaded on the beta site during the week of 10/16 and will invite your feedback when we do. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:32 AM

Don't know if that means you're ready for testing or not, but I went ahead and checked it out, with adblock disabled.

Currently, at least, the ads over there just never seem to stop loading. I let it go for at least a few minutes, and it was still resolving URLs, waiting on sites, etc.--even though, as far as I could tell, the ads were all loaded and visible.

I also notice that the ad that appears on the bottom does something sneaky, opening a new tab when you click to close it so you can actually read posts on the forums. And, no, it is not a "popunder."

Last edited by BigT; 10-21-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:37 AM

Upon reloading twice, I did finally get a set of ads that didn't load forever. So it may be a rogue ad. Still, I suggest people be on the watch for it.

I do notice, however, that you are still displaying the fake ads. If you got the real ones there, you probably want to get rid of the fake ones.

Everything else seems to be the same as before, current bugs and all.

Last edited by BigT; 10-21-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 PM

One annoyance left: Traditionally, when I was reading the SDMB and wanted to go to the SD home page to check out today's column, I would just click on the big friendly THE STRAIGHT DOPE banner at the top-left of the page.
Since the Reform, clicking on that banner leads to the SDMB landing page, and I have to type in the URL by hand to get to the real home page.
I know, I know. But still.

Last edited by Heracles; 11-05-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
One annoyance left: Traditionally, when I was reading the SDMB and wanted to go to the SD home page to check out today's column, I would just click on the big friendly THE STRAIGHT DOPE banner at the top-left of the page.
Since the Reform, clicking on that banner leads to the SDMB landing page, and I have to type in the URL by hand to get to the real home page.
I know, I know. But still.
There's a link to the Straight Dope Homepage on the very bottom blue bar on any page.

Last edited by cochrane; 11-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
There's a link to the Straight Dope Homepage on the very bottom blue bar on any page.
Thanks. I hadn't even noticed that.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to get used to Ctrl-End instead of Ctrl-Home...
Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 PM

I did a quick thread search, and didn't see this addressed: the "multi quote" function only works if you click the icon next to the text "Multi Quote." Clicking the text doesn't do anything even though it turns red on mouse-over.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Multi-line code blocks do not display correctly.

Example:
Code:
if (foo())
{
    bar();
}
This displays properly in the old skin but does not work properly with respect to newlines in the mobile skin.

From here:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=844725
Old 12-14-2017, 01:44 AM

But multi-line code works just fine if you use [php] ... [/php] tags instead. As a bonus feature, you get to look at the code in full carnival colors!

ETA: Example from the current example that brought this up (again):
PHP Code:
if (foo()) { /* only valid when foo() is true */ 

if (bar()) { }

Last edited by Senegoid; 12-14-2017 at 01:45 AM.