Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

What scares you the most?

Other than certain death, which is a given?

I'm interested in what nightmares or other things that just make you want to run screaming away. I'm especially interesting in things that people aren't normally afraid of.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I take it the death of loved ones is also off the table?

If we're just talking a visceral fear, I don't like bats. I can handle snakes, mice, bees, and even spiders but there's something about bats that freaks me out.

If we're talking something unusual - popsicle sticks. I don't want a wooden stick in my mouth. (I also hate those little wooden spoons that come with ice cream.) I keep thinking I could get a splinter in my tongue.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM

For me it would be heights, if I am securely harnessed they don't bother me but if I am free climbing I can actually get paralyzed with fear. I get a similar feeling in very fast boats and even cars if someone else is driving, at around 120 mph I feel like bailing unless I really trust the driver. Nothing much else seems to scare me.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Being abandoned by my mate and friends and family.
I can handle anything if I have just a handful of folks, but by myself?
And, may I say, I speak from experience on this question.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM

Climate change, specifically what is going to happen to my nephew, my friends' kids, and the rest of their generation. My 31st birthday present to myself was a vasectomy.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Dogooders with power.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 AM

Marsupials scare me...

... Because they're fast

Last edited by Spud; 06-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 AM

Reincarnation
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 AM

My dog getting hit by a car.

Having a baby born with a terminal illness.

Not surviving childbirth.

Becoming homeless.

Rolling or flipping my car. I don't think I could drive again afterwards.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 AM

The idea of being trapped underground, having to crawl along on my belly along a narrow tunnel.

I cannot watch pot holing documentaries without a terrifying rising panic. Even writing these short paragraphs is starting to freak me out. Its strange because I have crawled hundreds of metres inside 34" diameter pipework with no problem.

Underground? Natural formations? No way!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 AM

I can't stand anywhere close to sewer gutters with grates. I was afraid of them before I read "It", but afterwards, I had a focus to my fear. I honestly think that if I was standing close to one of them and something grabbed my ankle (or a rat came up or I got touched by something floating around) that I would just die of fear without even looking at what was there.

I'm also nervous when I am on stairs that don't have risers. What if I slipped and fell between the stairs? I do understand that one kinda, it happened after a major panic attack that left me huddled on the landing, afraid to go up or down. I've never understood why I was afraid of sewer grates.

As to rational fears, I'm afraid some idiot on a cell phone will run me over while I'm trapped at a stop light. I'm afraid that Bill will have another heart attack and leave me. I'm afraid that one of my cats will get out of the house and never come back.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 AM

Being physically incapacitated to the point where I had to be fed and washed like a child, while maintaining my current cognisence. That would be like a living nightmare, trapped in a busted body,being totally reliant on others for the most basic needs. My kids have been told if I ever end up like that, pull the plug.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manila View Post
The idea of being trapped underground, having to crawl along on my belly along a narrow tunnel.

I cannot watch pot holing documentaries without a terrifying rising panic. Even writing these short paragraphs is starting to freak me out. Its strange because I have crawled hundreds of metres inside 34" diameter pipework with no problem.

Underground? Natural formations? No way!
Kind of like this. I fear crawling through a tight tunnel and then reaching a point at which I can no longer continue forward nor turn around or back my way out. Just lying there in the dark until I die.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 AM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by stui magpie View Post
Being physically incapacitated to the point where I had to be fed and washed like a child, while maintaining my current cognisence. That would be like a living nightmare, trapped in a busted body,being totally reliant on others for the most basic needs. My kids have been told if I ever end up like that, pull the plug.
I think that I'm more scared of Alzheimer's. I have a strong family history of it, too.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 AM

I won't walk across grates in sidewalks. I guarantee you if one is ever going to fall in it's going to be while I'm on it. I walk around them, even if it interrupts the flow of pedestrians.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 AM

No matter how fast I run, I can't get away from where I am. It is a claustrophobic feeling, but there's no escaping it despite my ability to move. I suppose you could say it is a fear of the knowledge that I exist. I'm always pleasantly surprised that I don't run around screaming, "OMG! WTF! I AM!" all day.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 AM

I don't fear certain death. Certain death is actually somewhat comforting; although the specific method may be frightening, even the most painful certain death has the comforting certainty that I will die at the end.

Indeed, I think 'a situation I cannot escape through dying' would be what I'm most afraid of. The aforementioned being physically incapacitated being one of the highest on the list, since it's the most plausible. And in less rational territory, the idea that maybe there really is an eternal existence after death; that's perhaps the most horrifyingly frightening thing I can think of.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM

I have Type 2 diabetes, from my mother's side of the family. And Alzheimer's runs in my father's side. So my greatest fear is amputations, but not remembering what those body parts were for.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM

I won't go across grates either and I'm afraid of large amounts of water (I've been in a few floods) and of heights (dumb enough to jump off a building.)

I did once consider the great existential question "What is scarier? A terrorist or a space alien?" My conclusion was the alien was scarier because while both might kidnap you, at least a terrorist appears to be human and it's possible you could reason with it. There are about 50000 different theories about what aliens are so you wouldn't know what to do.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Heights paralyze me. I cannot get more two steps on a ladder before I have to get down. Many hotels have those elevators that are open to an atrium so I just face the panel and close my eyes. Going offshore to some facility is always an adventure as well, given the chopper ride and the open water walk from the helipad to the offices.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Taking rational fears off the table, I have 2 that I would consider irrational:

1. Someone pouring salt down my throat. Obviously it sounds miserable - but I have no idea why I even think about it, let alone fear that it could happen.

2. Floating in water next to something big that's also floating. For example, if I fell off a cruise ship. Being in deep water is fine, and floating next to something small-ish like a sailboat is fine. But the idea of floating in the water next to a giant ship exending way up over my head gives me the total heebee jeebees.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM

Being incapacitated and helpless.

Losing my mind.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM

For myself: Alzheimer's (fortunately no family history)
For my family: my daughter's fibromyalgia is getting progressively worse
For the world: climate change catastrophes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I'm also nervous when I am on stairs that don't have risers.
That's one of mine. If I have to use stairs like that (which are usually metal grates you can see through, making it worse) I hold the railing and go very slowly and deliberately and watch my feet to make sure I put them squarely on the steps and don't shoot through.

Spiders are probably my worst phobia.

I also have an irrational fear of things getting into my ears. I blame Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I always, always sleep with a blanket over my head. I tell myself it's to drown out the night noises, but that's a lie.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post

Losing my mind.
Seconded. Happened to too many members of my family multiple times. Sometimes, no, often, I think it's only a matter of time before it happens to me. Also, the fact that it could happen to me and I won't realize it.

Other (somewhat unusual) fears of mine:

Thunderstorms.

Airplane turbulence.

People. (More of a nervousness/shyness, really.)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Being woken up by a loud noise while sleeping. For a moment it is even more terrifying than certain death because I can feel the terror bouncing around up and down my spine for a few seconds after I wake up, even building for a second or so once I realize what has happened.

Or occasionally it happens the other way around: I awake with a primordial dread fear only to realize less than a second later that there is a huge sudden sound. (Of course that is due to the timing mechanism of the brain under which the instinctual reaction part of the brain got the message before my conscious data processing part, but it is still horrifying.)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM

For myself personally, I fear becoming debilitated (mentally and/or physically) and unable to kill myself.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Finding myself to be pregnant and being too late for an abortion. I actually have nightmares about it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiber View Post
1. Someone pouring salt down my throat. Obviously it sounds miserable - but I have no idea why I even think about it, let alone fear that it could happen.
Your fear is not misplaced: acute sodium overdose can be fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic
Being woken up by a loud noise while sleeping.
This. Sleep and its twilight put me in an absolutely unguarded emotional state. My ex-girlfriend once kissed me awake, and it was an astoundingly passionate thing on my end - not sexual, just emotional in a way I've never experienced before or since. Likewise, the most beautiful music I've ever heard was an Enya song that was so-so-when I was fully awake, but was absolutely stunning as I was drifting off to sleep.

The flip side of that coin is that thunderstorms at night are absolutely, insanely terrifying. Close-range thunderclaps that have me exclaiming "wow, that was fucking cool" during the day will have me clawing at the sheets in fear for my life if they wake me from a sleep state.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Sock monkeys.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Being rolled up in a rug or blanket with my arms at my sides.

The idea of it terrifies me. If that were used as some sort of coercion to get me to "TALK"....I would be spilling my guts out within minutes.

Funny thing is...if my arms were over my head...that wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM

A big hairy bug will cause my adrenaline level to go off the charts. My heart pounds, I sweat and I have trouble breathing. Totally irrational fear but there you have it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM

I have had a few bouts of sleep paralysis. It is absolutely terrifying when it happens. I wake up with a feeling of dread, that there is something wrong, and I try to call to my husband and realize that I cannot move at all. In fact, the only part of my body that works is my eyes and I can turn my head slightly. The first few times it happened to me was horrifying and I was convinced that there was something wrong with me. I was afraid to sleep at night for weeks after each episode.

My mother was a nurse when this first started happening to me and was able to tell me what it was and why it happens (REM sleep interrupted and muscles are still locked). Now when it happens I know what it is and can ride it out. At most, it lasts for about half a minute. It happens only when I am exhausted and having insomnia episodes.

What does still terrify me is knowing that it is common to have auditory and visual hallucinations while in this state: the most common is the demonic presence or the feeling of something sitting on your chest. Some people even "see" demons, dead people, etc. I am afraid that I would die of fright if this happened to me. During the episodes that I do have, without the hallucinations and even knowing what is going on, I still have a hard time knowing if I am really awake or still dreaming. I have had to wake up my husband a few times and ask him to orient me to reality.

Last edited by Tracijo67; 06-25-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Highsiding.

A nasty situation, and always in the back of my head whilst I'm on the track.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
BANNED

My ability to react badly. Creativity is best used positively.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Being alone.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Thinking that there is someone inside my house. That I will wake up in the night and there will be an evil man standing beside my bed, ready to inflict pain, terror and death upon me. Or when I am at my computer, I will hear a noise behind me and turn around to see someone there. (I think this even knowing that I have a security system-they know how to get around the system and get in without setting it off)

Last edited by pudytat72; 06-25-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: more details
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Having "Frozen Man Syndrome" or something like it.
Being handcuffed with my hands behind my back.
If I can't scratch where it itches, I'm freaking out, I guess.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM

I have several. Being burned badly is one; burns hurt like hell.

Losing my sight. To live in a world without color is terrifying.

Heights.

Being homeless, living on the street. I just am not tough enough.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I can't stand anywhere close to sewer gutters with grates.
Me too. But it's because I'm afraid that I'll drop my keys or cel phone down it. I hate parking near them for that same reason. One fumble and I'd be screwed.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Nothing. Why should I give my power over to anything or anybody else on this score?

But I am, I admit, still a bit wigged out by palmetto bugs...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Fear of heights. I can't walk past a freeway overpass that isn't fenced.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM

More fear of height. I couldn't watch that moron who just walked on a cable with a 1600 foot drop below him. Can't stand pictures of high places. Movies featuring high places terrify me.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Related to the losing your mind thing people have mentioned, the return of depression or anxiety, or any new and exciting mental illnesses. That fact that it's extremely likely to happen at some point doesn't help.

Also, and somewhat related, returning to drinking, or that it will always be such a struggle not to. Been sober for 18 months and the cravings are still just as strong.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I have a fear of public speaking but only the kind where you are expected to stand at a podium and be the center of attention for x number of minutes and deliver a monologue. It is that specific though because I run large meetings most weeks sometimes with VIP's and I won't hesitate to speak my mind in those. I refuse to do the presentation style however because I can't stand people staring at me and my brain doesn't think in a monologue style. I really don't like being forced to stand in one place for too long either. It triggers a panic response that I instinctively feel I must do anything to get out of.

Jumping off a skyscraper with wires attached, flying a small plane, or playing with a deadly animal doesn't phase me in the least. I have done all all those I seek that stuff out and don't even care if I get hurt from it because I like it so much.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracijo67 View Post
I have had a few bouts of sleep paralysis. It is absolutely terrifying when it happens. I wake up with a feeling of dread, that there is something wrong, and I try to call to my husband and realize that I cannot move at all. In fact, the only part of my body that works is my eyes and I can turn my head slightly. The first few times it happened to me was horrifying and I was convinced that there was something wrong with me. I was afraid to sleep at night for weeks after each episode.
I forgot about that one. That is truly terrifying. I sometimes get sleep paralysis but I also have sleep apnea. I have had both since I was a child. There is nothing more terrifying than waking up only to find that you can't breath or move at all. It seems like inevitable death every single time. You try to fight your way through it as best you can starting with a single finger and work your way towards more body control and I know in my case at least that I only have about 1 - 2 minutes to do it before I run out of air. It is an exhausting and desperate maneuver. Sometimes you can work your way up from moving the tip of your pinky finger to full arm control fairly quickly and use that to move the rest of your body so that it responds too but sometimes you can't.

Luckily, my body at least has an emergency switch that will kick in at some point when you run out of oxygen. Physical abilities come back online within a few seconds but the panic so extreme that I have often thrown myself off the bed and broken nearby things in the process because it is so uncoordinated.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 06-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2844 View Post
I won't walk across grates in sidewalks. I guarantee you if one is ever going to fall in it's going to be while I'm on it. I walk around them, even if it interrupts the flow of pedestrians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC View Post
I won't go across grates either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
That's one of mine. If I have to use stairs like that (which are usually metal grates you can see through, making it worse) I hold the railing and go very slowly and deliberately and watch my feet to make sure I put them squarely on the steps and don't shoot through.
You are right, those metal grate stairs are the worse. Both of my irrational fears together. I once measured the how high the missing risers were in a staircase that I had to use all the time, then I had a very understanding friend measure how thick I am. I was able to prove to myself that it would be impossible for me to fall through them.

Did that work? Of course not. Then I was afraid that I would start to fall through them and get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent Juicy View Post
Me too. But it's because I'm afraid that I'll drop my keys or cel phone down it. I hate parking near them for that same reason. One fumble and I'd be screwed.
I'm feeling better about the sewer grates, I thought I was all alone in that one, now I learn that I'm in very good company.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I got a weird one:

I fear bungee jumping but I don't fear skydiving.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I fear bungee jumping but I don't fear skydiving.
That isn't really strange at all. Lot's of people say the same thing. Skydiving is so abstracted and so peaceful that most people aren't scared in the least after they jump. Bungee jumping is like a thrill ride combined with simulated suicide except you get to live at the end provided equipment saves you. I jumped off the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas (855 feet) last January and I can promise you it wasn't scary in the least except for walking the platform and deciding to jump off and even that wasn't very hard for me but it was for one of the other people I sponsored (he wasn't scared after he jumped though because you don't feel much).

I told him that is the one sport you can do just as well at no matter if you are dead, alive, or paralyzed. All you have to is fall and gravity takes care of the rest. That is kind of a hybrid between skydiving and bungee jumping. It is a vertical zip line that doesn't pop you back up. None of them are that scary once you do them and skydiving is the least even though it is from the highest altitude.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 06-25-2013 at 10:44 PM.