Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Agree with you that the under on Bruces next three years is a heck of a lot more likely than the over. Not a player Id especially want on my roster at $13 mil per year...(now watch him hit fifty homers in 2018)

As for position, heres what I hear:

First, the Mets keep thinking they can turn Michael Conforto into a capable CF (the old but hes really athletic! fallacy.l). Im dubious, but if they can do it then Bruce joins Cespedes in the corners.
I mean, maybe Conforto can play center field passably well. He was out there a bit last year and he wasn't good but he wasn't a disaster. I sure wouldn't want to force the issue, but I guess you never know.

It just seems to me that pushing Conforto defensively is an added cost involved in signing Jay Bruce, and an unnecessary pressure on Conforto.

I forgot to post this before, but am I the only person who missed Oakland's Matt Olson? Last year in 189 at bats, Olson had:

* 24 home runs
* 2 doubles

Isn't that wonderful? He's the ultimate pure home run hitter.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #302  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,692
Now the Blue Jays are said to be kicking the tired on an Andrew McCutchen trade.

I've always liked McCutchen but something happened to him in 2016 and he hasn't been the same, although he improved in 2017. As he would have to move to right field in Toronto - there is no way in hell he plays center over Kevin Pillar - maybe taking a few plays off his to do list would help him get back a little closer to where he used to be.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #303  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Thudlow Boink Thudlow Boink is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 24,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Now the Blue Jays are said to be kicking the tired on an Andrew McCutchen trade.
Interesting typo.
  #304  
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,692
Freudian slip perhaps...
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #305  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Now the Blue Jays are said to be kicking the tired on an Andrew McCutchen trade.

I've always liked McCutchen but something happened to him in 2016 and he hasn't been the same, although he improved in 2017. As he would have to move to right field in Toronto - there is no way in hell he plays center over Kevin Pillar - maybe taking a few plays off his to do list would help him get back a little closer to where he used to be.
But he's a Giant

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-from-pirates/
__________________
My friend Dan Canon is running for Congress!
www.CanonForIndiana.com
  #306  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Ulf the Unwashed Ulf the Unwashed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,725
First Longoria, now McCutchen. Definitely looks like a win-now strategy for SF, but they each seem like guys on the decline. Be interesting to see how much of their top value these two guys have left.

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 01-15-2018 at 06:11 PM.
  #307  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Jays got scooped - and the Giants didn't give a lot up.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #308  
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,862
Damn, one less place for Ellsbury to go. Looks like a good move by the Giants.
  #309  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Orwell Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Jays got scooped - and the Giants didn't give a lot up.
I think the Giants got the better end of that trade. Yeah, McCutchen isn't the player he used to be, but he's still a solid fielder and hitter. He was also the "face" of the Pirates, who didn't even apparently negotiate with him, just let him go. I realize it's hard for small market teams, but it sucks to see Cutch leave like this. I expect a backlash from fans (ticket sales and TV ratings).

I know nothing will ever get done, but it's painful watching the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox have payrolls that are twice as much as the lowest six teams.
  #310  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:12 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I think the Giants got the better end of that trade. Yeah, McCutchen isn't the player he used to be, but he's still a solid fielder and hitter. He was also the "face" of the Pirates, who didn't even apparently negotiate with him, just let him go. I realize it's hard for small market teams, but it sucks to see Cutch leave like this. I expect a backlash from fans (ticket sales and TV ratings).
Taken completely in isolation, I agree.

Taken strategically, I honestly think the Giants are crazy. Absolutely batshit. It's not that I mind Cutch, but what the hell are they doing? They've added salary in Longoria and McCutchen to a team that finished 64-98. If those two do well that makes them what, 71-91? They're in a tough division - I just don't see them finishing third, much less making the playoffs. Is it worth all this money plus some prospects to have a bad record instead of a very bad record?
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #311  
Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 AM
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 4,848
For whatever reason, McCutchen has played poorly in the first two to three months of the season. Then he usually starts heating up before the all-star break and oscillating between hot streaks and mediocrity until season's end. I'm not sure whether it's the manner in which Hurdle has put his lineup together or what, but Cutch has been a different player since 2015. He still has power, though.
  #312  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Orwell Orwell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
For whatever reason, McCutchen has played poorly in the first two to three months of the season. Then he usually starts heating up before the all-star break and oscillating between hot streaks and mediocrity until season's end. I'm not sure whether it's the manner in which Hurdle has put his lineup together or what, but Cutch has been a different player since 2015. He still has power, though.
Yeah, that's been McCutchen's pattern year after year. After the first two months, it's all "maybe he's lost it" and "maybe he's getting old", and then by August it's "he's back!". It makes it kind of hard to analyze him until a full season is over. He's been a good guy, good with fans, and I wish him well. He started with the Pirates as a minor league player, and I just wished he could have remained a Pirate his whole career.

I hope the same for Manny Machado with the Orioles, but I'm betting that's not going to happen, either. One one hand, I understand going for the money. But I think that's short-sighted. If you look at players that stay with one team their whole career, they have a lifetime of being appreciated and making money with that identity. As an Orioles fan, I'm thinking of guys like Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell (he did leave at the very end of his career), Cal Ripken, etc. I guess those days are largely over.
  #313  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 44,348
Those moves aren't crazy. If the Giants are out of it at the break, Longoria and McCutchen (and others) will make great trade bait in what is always a seller's market. The team can get the prospects then that they can't get now, and will be in better shape for future years.
  #314  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 PM
silenus silenus is offline
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 48,742
The Giants are out of it now.
  #315  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Giants are out of it now.
One projection I read has the moves they've made and the return of their pitching be enough to move them up to 2nd Wild Card, I don't buy it but it is out there.

Hell, if they decide to add Ellsbury, they would probably be a sure thing for a wildcard. Think they'll buy this theory?
  #316  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Blank Slate Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
One projection I read has the moves they've made and the return of their pitching be enough to move them up to 2nd Wild Card, I don't buy it but it is out there.

Hell, if they decide to add Ellsbury, they would probably be a sure thing for a wildcard. Think they'll buy this theory?
I just saw a rumor that supposedly came from Ellsbury's doorman claiming that he had cleared out his NYC apartment.

Yankee fans are getting desperate.
  #317  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 PM
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I just saw a rumor that supposedly came from Ellsbury's doorman claiming that he had cleared out his NYC apartment.

Yankee fans are getting desperate.
"Really, oh boy, such good news, woot, Ellsbury is gone! Yay!", Jim says with a note of desperate joy.

Ellsbury is probably the single worst signing that Cashman decided to make. Some of the other bad Yankee deals were directed down on him by others, mainly the Boss. He was one of the few voices against extending A-Rod, Sheffield was purely George, the Boss even did the negotiations. I think Pavano was Cashman's mistake though too, so coin toss which deal was worse. Giambi was at the direction of the new TV Network YES and it still wasn't really that bad.

So yes, Yankee fans are a little desperate to move Ellsbury along and make room for others. It is true. Our beat writers are nearly as bad. One local writer for the NY Post suggested Ellsbury to the Rockies for Ian Desmond and other locals are reporting this as a rumor rather than just speculation.
  #318  
Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Tom Scud Tom Scud is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Taken completely in isolation, I agree.

Taken strategically, I honestly think the Giants are crazy. Absolutely batshit. It's not that I mind Cutch, but what the hell are they doing? They've added salary in Longoria and McCutchen to a team that finished 64-98. If those two do well that makes them what, 71-91? They're in a tough division - I just don't see them finishing third, much less making the playoffs. Is it worth all this money plus some prospects to have a bad record instead of a very bad record?
Reminds me of the Astros in the 2006-2007 off-season - they were only one season away from the world series! They were not terrible the season before! But the writing was clearly on the wall and they decided to ignore it and try to string things out just a bit longer, which made the total crash and burn necessary a few years later.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017